“Awesome January vacation.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of VIK Hotel Cayena Beach

Save Saved
You added VIK Hotel Cayena Beach to your Saves list
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   White Sand, Carretera Arena Gorda | n/a Bávaro, Punta Cana 290217, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #55 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
washington,pa
“Awesome January vacation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I just spent a wonderful week at the Vik Cayena, the staff was very friendly and professional. Our room was clean and comfortable. The food at the buffet was good as was the food at the Mexican restaurant. The beach was spectacular. All the drinks at the different bars were great, the best mojitos can be found at the main lobby bar. The only negatives we had were minor the disco open too late 11pm and there is no food after 930pm. Great place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bedminster, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

My family and I returned to Cayena November 22nd through December 6th. We had a room on the 3rd floor (beach front) that had spectacular views of the ocean. Our room was cleaned to perfection everyday. I recommend tipping the maid a few bucks each day.

The food at all the restaurants was great! The food was always good, but the food was even better this trip. All of the staff members treat you like family, which is what makes this resort a wonderful place to stay.

The resort grounds are very tropical, unlike other resorts. Trust me, you can't go wrong with this resort. Because this is a smaller resort, you will meet a lot of people and make lifetime friendships from all over the world.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd Floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Pickering ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Owners- I am wondering how your experiences are going with reservations at the Cayena? As a charter member (bought before it opened) we where told that members would get first choice and that reserving would be easy. I have reserved with 48 hours notice, and reserved a room with 4-5 months notice, but was just trying to get a room with difficulty with 2 weeks notice. Seems I can get a reservation if I book with an outside travel company,. but at extreme cost, which was the point of buying a membership after all to avoid that. Not bashing the place but would like to get feedback. Please let me know what your experiences where? Thanks.,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New Romney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Let me start by qualifying my review. For business and leisure I have stayed in hotels all over the world including all the top international names.

I am staying at VIK Cayena as I write (you can see the Internet connection works fine!). I can't comment on the other part of the complex, but the Cayena suites are spotless and well appointed - ours opens onto a grassed area private to our suite and which has sun loungers. Beyond that we step onto our private beach, then the main beach and the sea. It takes about 30 seconds from bed to beach in the morning!

Buffet food has been pretty good and the meals in each of the five smaller restaurants have been excellent. There has been a good selection of wines, the local beer is fine and all our cocktails have been freshly mixed and as strong as you'd like them.

The vast majority, but not all, of the staff have good English, but all are very friendly and helpful. Most of them are absolutely brilliant. If you have no Spanish, but speak some French, that can help.

The Spa facilities are very good, if a little pricey, but the masseuses and therapies are spot on - my frozen shoulder has more mobility than it's had in months.

We had lots of help booking a number of excursions. We just left a list with our happy go lucky concierge and when we returned, he'd booked everything for us and had all our tickets ready.

Our stay is turning out perfect for a middle aged couple, but while children are not a problem for us at the resort, I can quite see that young families would have a great time here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Cayena has been our yearly Christmas trip for the past several years and we could not be more pleased. With the delight of waking up every morning with a a short walk to get to the beach, this resort has never failed us with their beautiful rooms close to the water. The food is spectacular, a wide variety for different tastes! But most importantly the staff & people there are amazing- amazing is an understatement, these people work their butts off and will go out of their way to pleasure you to make sure you are comfortable and happy! I look forward to this trip every year with my family, we couldn't imagine going anywhere else. Growing up here from when I was a little girl has been the best experience of my life and still something I look forward to as I get older. Most definitely worth the money and trip with the family.
This beautiful paradise is our home away from home!
xo

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

So seven months ago my wife and I went to VIK Arena Blanca on the spur of the moment and were approached about buying into the Cayena Beach. Being famliar with the Marrott Vacation Club, I was hesitant about committing a large amount of money for the vacation club or time share side of Arena Blanca, but I was surprised at how little money was needed to get into the program here. I bought a package and we returned last week for our first week at Cayena Beach.

There are only 43 units on the Cayena Beach side so the place is very small, very quiet, very private, and the service is excellent and personal. There is a nice pool for Cayena Beach Club folks only and it is always virtually empty. There is a bar and restaurant, El Cano, reserved for Cayena Beach Club folks that serves buffet breakfasts and menu lunches. Both are excellent. Dinners are at the main buffet or the specialty restaurants on the Arena Blanca side. The bar offers some upscale liquor as opposed to what folks get at Arena Blanca. For example, Tanqueray is the speed rack gin. For an up charge you can get higher end stuff also.

The beach is beyond compare with faux wicker loungers and cushions. You have your choice of a little raised area beachfront that is very private for Cayena Beach Club folks only, or you can go down three steps to the regular beach. There were always loungers available any time of day. The beachfront is patrolled by security to make sure only Cayena Beach Club folks use that portion of the beach and it is empty and beautiful. If you take a walk left and right you will see others jammed onto the beach at other resorts, but not here.

I think to understand if this place is for you, you should ask yourself some questions. Do you want to pound tequila shooters till three in the morning with 25 year olds while dancing to the pounding rhythms of merengue? If so, then stay away. The crowd is older, or family types, and the bar at El Cano shuts down around 10 I think. Even the Arena Blanca side is small and quieter than any other resort I've been to except for one in Mexico that unfortunately was destroyed by a hurricane. You should also know that this place caters to foreigners. Americans are few and far between. Germans, French, Canadians, Russians seem to be everywhere and while all main staff speak English, secondary staff like maids, servers, and groundskeepers only speak Spanish.

You should also know that while I am extremely happy with my purchase at Cayena Beach, the place is showing some wear. Management is aware of that and I was told rooms are to be refurbished next year. Now, it is the Domincan Republic, so who knows? Also, when I was at Arena Blanca seven months ago in high season, the food was excellent. This time, in the off season, I was a bit disappointed in the food and, for the first time I can remember, left the Mexican restaurant without eating what was presented. It was seriously bad, yet when we ate there seven months previous it was fine. Nonetheless, neither my wife or I experienced any stomach issues and we ate the salads and leafy greens.

When I read bad reviews about places in the DR I think it is because folks expect these places to be like a top end Las Vegas hotel. In the DR, things move at a slower pace, the beds are universally harder and the pillows flatter, beef seems to be something folks there have difficulty preparing properly anywhere, levels of cleanliness might be a notch below perfect, and venders might seem pushy. If any of that bothers you, don't go to a developing country.

Finally, only one show is worth seeing at the Arena Blanca side. Do not miss the Domincan Folklore show, Soy Domincano. A professional touring troupe of performers put on the show. It is so high energy and amazing that you will be exhausted just watching it. The other stuff is high school quality put on by the animation staff, mostly getting French tourists on stage and making fun of them. Of course, making fun of the French has its own charm. Also, when you walk out onto the beach, turn left and walk a couple or resorts down to a strip of shanty stalls where local venders try to get you to buy stuff. Don't be put off. You can acutally cut a good deal if you did some price research before going. Coffee, Mamajuana, jewelry (be careful), paintings, and cigars can all be had cheaper, and in some cases much cheaper, than at the shops at the resorts or airport, but you should know what you are doing. When you fly in check out the prices at the airport of stuff you might want or at the resort you are staying at, then you can bargain with the local vendors.

I give this place five Dominican stars. If you understand that you will not be disappointed and, like me, may buy in.

Room Tip: The place is only three stories high. I chose the third story and had a great ocean view. First fl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at this resort for a week, which was not enough. The food at all the restaurants was very tasty, rooms were very clean, and all the staff members were so friendly even though they were there for hours and hours on a daily basis. This is an all-inclusive resort, but it is wise to bring tons of $1 bills if you want to tip the staff (they all deserve it). The front desk hardly has any change so the only option you have is to go to the exchange desk across the lobby to get peso's, which they naturally have to purchase back from you at a higher commission. Like I said, all the staff members are wonderful, but two exceptional employees are Niccauri at the reception desk, and Javier in the Mexican Restaurant by the pool, who has a permanent smile, not matter what time of the day it is and will go above and beyon to make you happy. As far as tours are concerned, be sure to see Ramoncite Joseph in one of those sheds by the pool (as you go towards the main entrance of the resort, he will give you the best price on any tour that he has on his brochures. We did a price comparison and his prices were by far the most reasonable. The service is also very friendly. By the way, if you want to take some fabulous photo's, look for Jean, youngster that can be found at the photo studio by the buffet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!