“Absolutely Amazing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Saving!
Ranked #23 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Bel Air, Maryland
“Absolutely Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

This resort was an absolute delight! The service was amazing. This was a romantic trip for two and even with all the families and kids, we still managed to have a wonderfully intimate vacation. The resort is pretty close to the airport, but you must arrange your own transport. We did opt to do some off the resort excursions through our Amstar rep and he was spot on(Good job Winston). The trips were, awesome. The food was plentiful, and the drinks great! The one concern was ants.. We had a problem with them in our room, but after we alerted the concierge it was handled immediately. There is always someone willing to help with a,"it's my pleasure' or "Excellente"... I'd definitely recommend this resort. Just remember to pack off with DEET and air freshener for your room, they do tend to smell damp and musty, due to the humidity. We stayed in the preferred rooms and they were well worth it.. Free Wi-Fi and the service was impeccable!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

5,195 people have reviewed this hotel

1934
2080
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,185)
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We had an absolute blast - perfect for our extended family vacation. Rooms were spacious and clean, food was good and the resort had everything we expected it to.

Service on the beach was stellar - Fabian, in particular, was AMAZING and always made sure our orders arrived quickly. He worked his "tail" off for us (and there were a lot of us!)

Sugar Ray and Francis were great, too, and made our days on the beach fun and entertaining.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We just got back from our trip to DR on 9/4 after staying at Dreams Palm Beach for a week. Overall, my husband and I had a good time, but there were several problems with the resort, and we probably will not go back. When we arrived, it took 2 hours and 4 phone calls to get our luggage. Meanwhile, we sat in our extremely hot (80+ degrees) and musty smelling room. We finally got our bags and went to the pool hoping that our room would be cool when we returned (Be warned, they do not have central air - they have swamp coolers). It wasn't, so we called the front desk and someone from maintenance came out while we were at dinner. We returned from dinner and the room was even hotter than when we first arrived. The cooler was barely pumping air, and what little air was coming out was warm. Maintenance came up again and simply adjusted the vents and told us it would be cold in 5 minutes - it wasn't. We were showed another room that was much cooler but smelled intolerably musty. Finally, at nearly 11 p.m. (after traveling since 4 a.m.) we were put in another room that was moderately cooler. We were told the manager would be giving us a "surprise" the next day for all the trouble, but that never happened. Although we were finally given a room that was tolerable, it wasn't the partial ocean view room we paid for - we had a view of a palm tree. This issue was never addressed. The start to the trip was rough. There were a few other issues....

We paid for a preferred club room, which gives you access to the private pool. It was generally much easier to find chairs at this pool even though it is smaller than the main pool, but there were some days when it was difficult to find any shaded chairs because others had reserved chairs. In fact, every day there was a group of people who reserved 12 chairs (more than 1/4 of the chairs available at the preferred club pool) and were only at the pool a couple hours the entire day. The rest of the time those chairs were not being used. Surprisingly, the bulletin the resort puts out every day warns guests that they will remove items if left at the pool for more than 20 minutes, but this was never enforced like many other rules. There were also a few days when people who were not preferred club guests used the preferred club pool, but no one at the resort asked them to leave (preferred club guests have yellow towels, the others have blue). The preferred club pool was very small, so I definitely think those people should've been asked to leave (on top of the fact that we paid money to have access to the pool). Also, I'd highly recommend that this resort make the preferred club pool adult only - in the alternative, they should enforce the pool rules. Many parents didn't care whether their children were being rude - the jumping, splashing and pushing got old very fast.

There was also a bar server for the preferred club pool, but I have to say he was the most unpleasant person I experienced on this trip. This was quite uncharacteristic of the resort because all of the staff were extremely polite and friendly. The pool guy was not so friendly... We learned the hard way that the only way to get the pool server to serve you is to tip him. This is another issue I have with the resort... If tipping is expected, I don't understand why the resort would tell you that it's not. I really don't have a problem tipping at all, and I would've gladly tipped if I had known it was expected of me. This is my first all inclusive experience, but when I'm told not to tip, it's a little frustrating to be passed over for a drink order because I didn't. The resort should either adjust its policy and provide some tipping guidelines for guests (like a cruiseline does) or become stricter with its employees.

The food... The food was actually pretty good. It wasn't gourmet by any means, but I wasn't disappointed. However, all restaurants at the resort had a dress code, which was NEVER enforced. I don't particularly care if they have a dress code or not, but I don't know what the point of having a dress code is if it isn't going to be enforced - and I think it's to the resort's detriment... I think the dress code makes the experience feel a little classier which I think would, in turn, make the experience more enjoyable so people will come back again, but like everything else, the rules didn't matter.

That being said, my husband and I did have a good time. Everyone was very friendly (with the exception above), the beach was gorgeous, the pool was great, and the spa services were good. We definitely will return to DR, but unfortunately for Dreams, we will not be staying with them again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
DreamsPalmBeach, Public Relations Manager at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear shazza529,

Please receive warm greetings from Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana and thank you for sending along your comments and experiences regarding your stay with us. As a service oriented company, our objective is not only to fulfill, but also surpass our guest’s expectations; therefore we put our greatest interest into your opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest’s experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences and difficulties that you encountered and hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us should you have further comments or suggestions on this regard.

The Management
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana for a week this past May 2010 and frankly, although the weather wasn’t very good, we still had one of our best vacations ever.

I want to begin by saying the staff at Dreams bend over backwards to make sure that guests are happy and that their needs are looked after. Our day began at the wonderful coffee shop (makes Starbucks and Second Cup both Second Rate) with either Yeuri or Gabby making one of their delicious specialty coffees and teas for my wife and myself. It was delicious and the pastries were out of this world. (Yeuri, Gabby if you read this, Katherine and I just want to say thank you)

My wife and I then went to the Spa and specifically the gym area where Felix greeted us, answered any questions we had on the equipment and helped spot my wife when she needed assistance, provided water and towels etc. (Felix, If you read this – Gracias mi amigo).

From there, we did a number of activities from swimming in the heated pool to snorkeling in the ocean, to going on one of the tours etc and always had a late breakfast at around 10am. I happen to be a vegetarian and my wife eats everything. I just want to tell all the vegetarian people that they have tremendous choice at Dreams. Do not worry about finding something to eat. They have at least 5-7 dishes that are vegetarian and that does not include all the different salads etc. In fact, my first day at breakfast when I told my waiter Ruddy that I was a vegetarian, he insisted that I speak to Serafin, the exective Chef. Ruddy brought Serafin over and Serafin made me one of his amazing egg white omelets and told me whatever request I had to tell him and he would do it. (Ruddy thank you and Serafin thank you so very much for going out of you way to talk to all the guests and seeing how they are doing and for making me the best egg white omelet I have ever tasted). All the food is so fresh and tasty and all the staff are so wonderful. (Thank you Jimenez at the omelet station, thank you Figuero and Maria.

Now we are off to more activities or just reading our books by the pool or the ocean. There is an activities guy by the name of Willie Montiquilla Wonka who is some character. He will get you involved in water polo, volleyball, ping pong, whatever you pleasure. Of course, if you want to be on your own, then you are on your own. There is never pressure at Dreams, the whole purpose is relaxation and catering to your needs as a guest.

We would then go in for a late lunch and a repeat of the excellent service and variety of quality food we had for breakfast. By the way, the menus were always changed so there was always new things to try. My wife had her fill of lobster and steak and fish, which she said was delicious and I had my share of pumpkin, veggie burgers, soup, fried banana, spinach lasagna and so much more. The supervisors were always asking the guests if all was okay (Simon thank you, and Felix the baseball expert thank you too).

More activities or more lay back enjoyment and then off to dinner. There are 5 different restaurants offered at Dreams but we only tried two of them. We did the Japanese and Mexican and again, quality food and quality service.

At night it was movies on the beach, the casino, shows and more. There was always something fun and interesting to do. Then it was back to the room for a wonderful night sleep. (thank you Amelia for cleaning our room everyday and providing us with whatever we needed.)

In closing, We give Dreams the highest of ratings in all areas. The service, the rooms, the food etc. It was just awesome!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I just came back from a week at the Dreams Palm Beach. I went with my boyfriend and some friends and we had a great time- despite the fact that the all inclusive travel is not really my thing.

PRO- Fantastic service across the board- especially the services, bartenders and the entertainment staff. They work very hard and always with a smile on their face. Their enthusiasm and friendliness made our holiday. A la carte restaurants were for the most part fantastic- really enjoyed the Teppanyaki Restaurant (very entertaining and the food was good) and the Italian Restaurant was very tasty as well. I was less than impressed with the Seaside Grill though. The resort was a fairly small resort which was nice because you can walk everywhere. That also allowed them to have a no wristband policy which was super cool. Drinks were plentiful and had a lot of premium liquor and they didn't skimp on the alcohol.

CONS- The rooms were below my expectations and could do with some updating. Rooms were musty and very damp. The showers (as a lot of other reviewers mentioned) leaked was a nuisance but was manageable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Bronxville, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed from Saturday August 28th until September 4th. When we arrived I was surprised since I had Dreams Palm but it's called Dreams report & spas. I was so excited. We arrived around 2ish and our rooms were available. We ate at the world cafe and the food was great. Buffet style, from a course of different types of foods. They do have some sparrow birds flying around but after you left and getting the food that was brushed on the floor. They were never at the buffet area. The kids explorer camp place was nice. One thing I didn't like was that one on occasion my daughter didn't eat dinner, they had to practice for the talent show. Another couple that we met said it was 2 nights for their child. Other than that, the explorer club was magical. My daughter didn't want to spend any meal time with us and when she did she drove us bananas! We didn't try all the restaurants. We heard the French restaurant you waited a long time for your art food. Mexican was a long wait. We were sat down at 7 and left at 9 without any dessert. They put chips and salsa before they ask for your order. With a complimentary margarita drink. The food was ok. I had a fajita of steak and it came with the steak, some small amounts of onions and tortillas. Nothing else to make a great fajita. We did the hibachi restaurant and the hibachi part was a wait of 45 to 2 hours. We took the tables which served Chinese food. The service was great and so was the food. The middle hibachi table had the most action. Our friends went a couple of times and said the middle table the chef had both their children cut up the food. Which was great! The Coco cafe, had pastries and coffee and favored tea. We did the Seaside Grill twice. Once with friends and the other just the 3 of us. The shrimp cocktail was a little warm. I had Salmon and it was great. My husband and friends had Rib Eye. The second time, I had the NY Sirloin and my husband and daughter the Rib Eye. The food was excellente!! at 8:30 they explorers did a show with all the children then after that, they did the adult entertainment. I stayed up for 2 and they were all GREAT and FUNNY!! They provide you every day with a sheet of the daily activities, 2 sided for adults and children. It help to plan your day and/or evening. Many weddings were held at the hotel. We had 2 days of the effects of hurricane Earl. But, Earl didn't damper our trip. I was up early in my group and was tired by 11/midnight. So, we didn't stay up much later than that. The first day the pool water was warm. But, in the morning and afternoon it's nice. It's in the evening that the sun makes it turn like bath water. My daughter called it a Jacuzzi. The entertainment were amazing and talk about having so much energy. WOW!! The ladies at the explorers club were amazing. I loved Patricia since she spoke some English. The beach had some seaweed when we arrived and after hurricane Earl passed he seemed to clean off the seaweed. But, they have crew members cleaning the beach about 3 times a day. The water was nice and relaxing. A bit salty for my eyes. Some people did snorkeling but with my goggles I didn't see anything. But fish flying in the area. Scared some people. We tried the glass bottom boat and the snorkeling at the was great. Our captain showed use the area where they house the dolphins. All in a pen area. The rooms, were a bit small with 2 drawers. But, the refrigerator housed beer, water & soda. Couldn't get it colder but it was fine. The rooms had a large fan with a light in-between the beds and the fan levels went up to 3. It was nice and cool. The shower has no door and you probably read that. 2 towels on the floor helped to fix the problem. But, only 5 towels for a family of 3, but 2 large bathrobe towels. They provide 2 matches and a incense for the room. Each room has an outside patio, which we used the chair to dry out clothes after washing them in the sink. I'm not much of a drinker but the drinks were great. At the beach we met Fabian and he was the BEST!! Else and Santa and Rosa were great at the restaurants. Pedro and Rosanna cleaned our room and did a great job. Our bed were turned each night. The bed had so many pillows I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have any place to put them. I had them on the chairs. You can get your own pillow but reading the hand book that was provided. The bed had a comforter, sheets and a blanket. We removed the comforter since it was too much to sleep with. We decided to come again. Many of the staff didn't speak English but a little practice of your Spanish helps. Plus the hotel provided free lessons every day at 10pm. You'll have an amazing time!! Just remember to bring the sunscreen!! Leave your attitude at home!!

Oh, they say no saving beach chairs and will removed after 20 minutes. I guess it sounds good in writiing, just not in real life. In fact we saw a big argument where some people left things on the chair and others removing them. Our friends noted they saw people remove their towels and a camera from the beach chair. When confronted they denied it. Have fun!! That's what it's all about. Having a great vacation and relaxing and meeting new friends. We did and had a GREAT TIME!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana was absolutely amazing. It was only a 15 minute ride from the airport and we were greeted with excellent service the moment we entered the resort. Our room was ready for us as soon as we checked in and it was immaculate. The pool has plenty of lounge chairs and the service at the poolside bar was very good. The beach was beautiful with amazingly soft sand. Just be aware that there is some seaweed that washes up through out the day but the staff is constantly working on cleaning it up and it was never a problem. We never did an excursion mostly because the other reviews on here said they were a waste of time. My girlfriend and I did get a nice 80 minute couples massage for $180. Make sure to wear sunscreen though since we both got a little burnt just wearing spf 30. The food was excellent at all the restaurants particularly the japanese hibachi restaurant and the seaside grill. Granted it isnt 4 star like restaurants youd find in new york but considering your vacationing in a 3rd world country the food was very good. All the staff were extremely courteous and spoke either fluent english or enough that they understood your point. Dont waste your time in the casino, its extremely small and not nearly as exciting as Atlantic City or Mohegan sun. The only downside I can think of doesnt even involve the resort. We ran into several British tourists that didnt understand the purpose of waiting in line and were very condocending and rude to the resort staff. They acted like they were entitled to more attention and looked down upon the dominicans. But other then a few snotty Brit tourists the resort is a great experience!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!