“Beautifulllllllll (Gasolina)!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Saving!
Ranked #23 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Massachusetts
“Beautifulllllllll (Gasolina)!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Wow!! What a great time!! Check in started with a nice refreshing drink. We arrived earlier than 3pm and was able to check in right away. We did request an adjoining room but because we were early that room wasn't available however we did get rooms next to each other and that was just fine. We had 3 teens in the other room (17, 17, 15). It was my youngest sons birthday so later in the day he went back to the room to find it decorated with ballons - sweet treat! We had 3 rooms total and they were located in bldg 7 (1st floor) & 8 (2nd floor). All of our rooms faced the outskirts of the property - not a bad view but no breeze back there at all. Rooms were good size and we had no problems with dampness. Yes, the 3/4 shower wall was different but the one thing we noticed was that when you got out of the shower you didn't deal with the humidity like you would if you had a regular full wooden door. Our maid (Maria) was WONDERFUL!!! Always made sure we had towels and a few of the days she even made us towel art. The vents in the rooms/bathrooms......don't talk to loud as it travels.

Restaurants....our favorites in order: Japanese, Mexican, Italian & Seaside Grille. We didn't try the french one. Buffet was very good. I know others have made comments about the buffet being open and birds in there. Yes, they were on the right side when you walked in as they lived in a tree outside that area and there was an area there where they put the dirty dishes. We never had an issue with them and sat on the other side and in the middle. Maybe if they pulled the shades down on that side it would prevent this issue. We celebrated my son's birthday at the Japanese restaurant and the staff was wonderful! They all came out singing to him with a cake!

Bars....Cabrera at the lobby bar was our favorite!!!! Sophi, waitress at the pool, lobby bar and infront of the wedding gazebo is a sweetheart! Simon on the beach - always with a smile!

Pools & Beach.....yes the "reserve the chair with a towel" game was in full swing! We did hear of guests complaining and security coming and removing things. There was seaweed in the ocean but some days it was worse than others. The seaweed didn't bother us as we are use to the US Eastern shore seaweed that wraps around your legs! The kids did use the trampoline and the iceburg. They liked the iceburg better in the pool at Dreams LaRomana (when it was Sunscape). We used the kayaks and had a nice time. Everyday we took a walk on the beach in both directions of the resort with no problems.

Entertainment team was SUPER!!!! Rey, Carlos, Felix, Lucky & Gasolina.....they work their butts off to make everyone happy! We went to a few of the shows and enjoyed them. Casino was okay - not large but it was just the amount that my husband needed. Disco was fun but didn't get going till after the shows were done. We did see security turning people away from the disco for either not being 18 or not having id.

Our kids did the Segway tour and they enjoyed it. We did leave the property and walked down the street to some shops. It was definately worth the savings but you have to be able to say "no" or you will be in every shop and they all have the same items.

Language barrier - we didn't have any issues. Alot of the workers speak more than one language some 3 or more!

Negatives - room keys! Only were given 1 per room, on the 2nd day we were able to get an additional key. We had a problem where one key would get deactivated and when you went to get it reactivated then the other key wouldn't work! It became humoreous after awhile. The Theater is kind of off the beaten path. You have to go through the lobby and follow the driveway. I think if it was more centrally located they may get more guests to the shows (although the circus show was filled!) Vendors!!! The jewelry vendors were the worst! We actually sat around the pool watching them with the way they real you in! Just try this on and then come back and pay! Stay away unless you really want to buy something. The second group of vendors (jewelry, paintings, clothes, cigars) didn't appear to be as pushy.

Overall we had a great time and would definately go back!!!!

5,199 people have reviewed this hotel

1935
2081
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,186)
  • Polish first
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Nice property and great food.
Issues: You have to get up at 6:30 to get shade and chairs, and you may have to fight to keep them; there is not enough to go around. We were in the VIP section, we had a private beach; 3 palapas for the whole section.
The first floor rooms are problematic, toilets get blocked due to lack of pressure and showers from upper floor run into the first floor rooms. The air conditioning does not remove the humidity; it actually increases the humidity in the room making everything cold and damp/ wet. We had green mold growing on the walI of the room. I have been to the tropics many times I know it is humid, this was not normal. The renovations appear to be cosmetic; the old issues are still there.
The Dreams policy is not to tell you what is going on, they will keep telling you they will fix it, or to come back, depending on the issue, and frustrating the heck out of you. I assume they hope you will give up, or your week will be up and you will leave.
We paid for the VIP service and did not receive most of the services without asking several times, some we never got, some we got sporadically. The real perk of the VIP service is solely the lounge and the beach restaurant; the rooms are they same as the general population and based on the people we spoke to everyone seem to have the same services as us. There was suppose to be hot and cold hor'dourves in the VIP lounge in the afternoon, we only ever saw little cakes.
There are children in the VIP section, there were so many children, and the Dreams complex has hallways that echo every noise, need I say more about this?
When you arrive they will only give you one key for the room, they will say they ran out and to come back later when people check out. The policy is to give one key; you will have to fight for two.
The service is hit, and miss, some days we would have 2 or 3 servers falling all over us, other days we could not get a cup of coffee at breakfast.
There was a beach bar the first few days we were there, and then one day it was gone. You have to go to the pool bar or ask the beach server for a drink.
Bring your own change, they will charge an inflated rate for the peso plus a 90 peso fee to change money. If you ask for change in US $ they will tell you to come back later, over and over again.
We found the two weeks very frustrating, it was hard to get into the vacation mode and relax. The Dreams Management needs to look at their policies, build some palapas ( you have the materials on the beach), and buy some chairs. Getting up at 6:30 am on vacation is obscene; I do not even get up for work that early.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I work in the hotel/restaurant industry so I'm kind of spoiled as far as service and comfort are concerned. Went there with my girlfriend august 17-24(the weather was still great)

So here we go

1.The resort looks really nice. Rooms are fairly big, beds comfy. Great beach and lots of fun water sports included ( free catamaran and windsurfing lessons)

2.Good food, although get ready for long waits in all restaurants unless you get there at 6:30. You can never go wrong with the buffet. Steakhouse is best, right at the beach, spectacular view and good food.

3.Entertainment team is doing really hard work for all bored Americans and Canadians to put themsleves together, put smiles on their faces and have some fun ( Ray and Gasolina were amazing these two should be in Vegas now making real money)

4.Shows are ok, aside of "the grease"- performed with playback - waste of time.

5. Nighclub has a potential, loud music but the fun depends on the crowd. We had a blast there a few times. Once again - entertainment people Ray and Gasolina are the biggest value of this hotel they'll start the parties, come up with competitions, teach you how to dance - all with craziness and genuine personality.

6.Generally everyone will be really nice to you, sounding more or less genuine.

7. Housekeeping is doing a good job there.

Downside :

1. There are moments where they make you feel like you're a 5 year old . "go here, do this, pay here".

2. The whole "it's my pleasure" line , that you will here from everyone lacks genuinity and you can feel it behind the fasade of smiles.

3. All vodka and gin in the bars is bad . I know it for a fact. I saw the bartender putting empty bottles of Tangueray gin back to the cabinet surely to be filled with something else. Besides I know what my liquor tastes like. Brand Whiskey is obviously fine, can't be substituted with anything else of cheaper quality. Specialty drinks they serve - cups of sugar with cheap rum or vodka - stay away. Bartenders are pretty good though. work well under pressure.

4. Don't gamble there. I played rulette a few times and they cheat in your face - just take away the chips like there is no bet. Once caught - they have no shame, just act like nothing happened. That happened to me 3 times - it was fun trying to catch them cheat though. I didn't even comes close to the cards.

5. People trying to sell you worthless stuff harrasing you everywhere you go. They don;t take NO for an answer. Too bad the resort lets the sellers take over and put out their tables twice a week - that ruins your evening.

6. Music at the pool was played very rarely.

Overall - we had a great time. Did a few trips (santo domingo - a 4hr drive but you can see what DR really looks like behind the plastic curtain of your Disney Land resort), scuba diving etc. I would recommend it to a friend, but if I go to Punta Cana again I'll try Iberostar or Excellence - both have a lot better reputations.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Recently my mother and I went to Punta Cana for a Mother/Daughter trip. We both had stayed in Punta Cana once before this recent trip at an amazing resort (Paradisus). Upon arrival they kept us in the unbearable heat for 3 hours telling us every hour come back again as the room was not ready. Finally we checked in and upon first glance the room looked nice (just like the photos) but when we looked in the bathroom, we discovered black mold all inside the shower on the floor and the room looked barely cleaned! The bathroom layout was very strange and just not comfortable. The hallways are all very dark during the day. The resort is small and has a Florida feel to it. Not very tropical and the pool is maybe the nicest feature here but it is filled with a ton of children. The beach was dirty and small, even the water seemed gross. Only good thing we experienced at Dreams was the buffet as the food was good. But that was it!

Being so unhappy I approached the front desk to complain. I noticed quickly I was not the only one complaining; 6 other rooms were as well with the same complaints. The assistant was very very nice but the hotel manager was something else. He refused to call the Orbitz rep for me so that I could change hotels and suggested I call the 800 # from my room and pay for it. His claim was that he couldn't call a cell phone (lies) yet the number was clearly written at the reps desk. He had the ability to dial the reps cell # but chose not to. An hour of going back and forth with his claims to have emailed someone I finally lost it and broke down in tears. One shouldn’t be forced to pay for something that is not up to standard. He finally called the 800# for me and I was able to flee this awful hotel and go to the luxury we expect at the Paradisus. With all the complaints along with mine he still had the nerve to charge me for 1 night stay at the hotel and even Orbitz argued with him claiming this was not right. I suggest you pay the extra few dollars and pick a good hotel so you don’t end up in tears and disappointment.

Wilkes-Barre, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I will try to make this as short and to the point as possible....

Food - Restaurant food good - World Cafe (buffet) is exactly what you would expect in buffet food. No air conditioning. All creatures welcome.

Beach - Beautiful to look at, seagrass is gross. Water trampoline is a lot of fun for the kids only....but remember you have to get through the seagrass first.

Pool - very large, nice temperature. Could have been a bit cleaner. Swim up bar made it very convenient to enjoy.

Rooms - ??? Who would have every invented a 1/2 of glass door on the shower. We never had enough towels for 4 people, electricity was out a few times during our stay and we also had times where the water was shut off. Mosquitoes were definately present and we heard people complaining of plumbing problems. Also, voices are heard through the bathroom vents so keep comments to a minimum.

Entertainment staff - they truly went out of their way to get everyone involved.

Bar staff - They aim to please. They are the best. Pablo is # 1.

Express check out - does not mean express check out, it means you still have to check out.

Preferred club - We had no better view, as a matter of fact we had a lovely view, a wooden covering over an electical box. Another woman we ran into had a lovely view of an alley way. ( Tropical view???) We did have access to the internet, and better alcohol but so did people who didn't even belong to the preffered club. No one even knew the difference. Is it worth it??? NO.

Really no children activities unless they were part of the kids club. We didn't put our kids in the club because we like them with us when we are on vacation. Euro bungee jumping was only offered at certain times of the day, they were always late opening it and were in a hurry to close it. Not much time offered for something enjoyable.

*****BIGGEST PROBLEM***** Pool chairs and beach huts......No one is allowed to save chairs...Good rule....Unfortunately, everyone does it. Get up early, reserve your chairs, get towels, wait for the sun. At Dreams, the security comes around from 7:30 am - 9:00 am and if you are not sitting at the chair they remove your stuff and you have to reclaim it at the concierge desk. Big pain.......We experienced our belongings not being there but actually stolen. In the afternoon we experienced a man going around collecting towels from the chairs, it would have been okay but they were the towels we were using. They must have run out of towels and needed to wash and get new towels out because people were complaing there were no towels. I say get more beach chairs and more towels and most of these problems will be solved.

Vendors - 2 times a week area vendors come and sell their goods. "Cheapy Cheapy" They are very pushy and rude if you don't purchase what they are trying to sell. Their prices are just over the top. $ 69 USD for a beaded bracelet and earings???

Night life - not much - a small casino and amatuer shows.

All in all it is an ideal place for the money you pay. First time travelers paradise. It is nice, small and easy to get around. Plenty of security on the beach. I probably wouldn't go back because I feel there are more deluxe resorts but I do have friends that haven't traveled and this would be perfect first caribbean experience.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

GREAT RESORT TO STAY AT. Spent a wonderdul week with so many things to do.Food id good, bars everywere,and the entertainment people make your day. Everyone is so nice and always ready to assist you. Rooms are very comfortable and always clean.VERY NICE PLACE.

Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

Upon check in at Dreams Palm Bch we decided to treat ourselves and upgrade to the preferred club. We spoke with the preferred club manager and he upgraded us for $700.00. I gave him my credit card and he processed it and gave me back my card. A week after I arrived home I got a call from my credit card company that there have been charges on my credit card all over the Dominican for the past week since I have been home. I only used that card to pay for the upgrade and nothing else . So if you are thinking about upgrading to the preferred club it is a waste of money a total rip off. If you do decide to upgrade I would think twice about using your credit card.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!