“The most amazing time I ever had!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #16 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal
“The most amazing time I ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

You can't ask for more in a trip. I've been to Cuba way too many times.. and you can't even compare.
We were a large Italian family, who knows only good food, and the food was fantastic
All the negative reviews we read prior to the trip were all false.No mold, Air conditioning was fantastic, service was phenomenal and expecially the staff always put a smile on our faces.. I wish i had half the energy they had.
It was so amazing that we were upset we couldnt stay for another week and we are seriously considering going back in the winter.
Look for: Clementer at the Lounge Bar
Gasolina , Rey and Felix (entertainment team.. they are the best of the best)
and Simon who brings you drinks on the beach at the snap of your fingers
most of all everyone is all so appreciative of what they get.

• Stayed August 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,658)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

After reading all of the reviews on here, I was very skeptical of the type of experience we would have at Dreams. Our room was HUGE and beautifully decorated, and paying extra for Preferred Club was definitely worth it. The resort is wonderful, and we had great service everywhere. I have been to a number of 5-star hotels and this was definitely up there. Some advice for the complaints on here:
Towel game issue- if they are reserved and you don't see any one for 1/2 an hour...take the towels off, and it's yours
Not enough alcohol in the drinks- ask for mucho rum, and they will put PLENTY in there
Sea weed on the beach- Seriously, not a big deal
Food- to avoid getting sick, don't eat any of the cheese that is sitting out, or drink the tap water
Honestly other than that, this is a wonderful resort for people who are looking to have a great time and relax. You can make it what you want it to be. If you choose to complain and look for problems then that is your loss.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

14 days at DPB in D.R. 40 year old couple with 2 children 6 and 11.

Reference vacations : Maroma Mx, Secrets Maroma R.Maya, El Dorado R.Maya, Bavaro Princess D.R. , Paul G. Cruise Tahiti , Four seasons Hualalai Hawaii. 4 seasons Buenos Aires Argentina. Grand Waiea Maui. various 4-5 star Cuban resorts.

This is a 5 star Dominican resort in many ways and was a great value for our money.

By far the best Kids Club we have ever seen. ( certified staff , cell phones for the parents ! ) We do not leave our kids with strangers... so why do it in a foreign country ?
This is the first time we felt safe leaving our kids in a resort club. Kudos to that team and the explorers club. We cannot say enough about this strong value of the resort.
5 stars for this section.

Food : Buffet : Very good quality and variety. (entire family was very happy). good
service.
A la Carte :
Seaside grill - good rib eye steak, the rest was average to ok. great
service.
Himitsu : average for asian side and below average for chinese side.
Italian : excellent pasta ( seafood and shrimp dishes) the rest was
bland and regular. deserts are average. great service.
Mexican : Very good corn soup and flan steak , great service again.
French : Adult only so we could not try.

Room Service : Superb. perfect. very good wood oven pizza.

Overall food is very good but not a 5 star experience. ( we were very happy for the value/quality. 5 star buffet for the selection.

The waiting time a la carte is approx.. 1 hour if you arrive after 7pm. we never waited more than 30 mins.

Wine list is very good value and STRONGLY recommended. The house white wine is a 5/10 when chilled. The house Red was not to our standards.

Also very difficult to get a glass of house wine at the buffet.

Service and Staff :

Friendliness : Best we have had period.
Service : for dominican standards is was very good. Except room issues.
Entertainment staff: Superb. nothing more to add.

This is not a 4 seasons hotel .. so do not expect that level of service..and you should be ok.

Spa : Service was ok. not 5 star. Massage was average. nice staff.

Gym : small but very nice equipment

The Weak point of this Resort was our room. It was a 3.5 star room for many reasons:

Building 7 facing the lobby and pool ( no issues here). 90% of the rooms are well positioned to everything (small resort).

Paper thin walls, poor quality insulation -cooling system resulted in major mold and mildew smell/issues. ( i am not a HVAC expert ) but there should be some way of eliminating moisture in a room ( we never experienced this poor air quality in any room ever before).

The floor grout between the tiles was black in 50% of the room. ( appears as old dirt)
Patio curtain smelled foul and was dirty.

Our luggage had mold in several locations after 2 weeks in the room !! Not good.
The sleeping pillows are "airline foam" style and 50% of them smelled funky.
We quarantined the ornamental pillows and bed cover to one chair in the corner of the room with a note to the staff to not use.

We had Mushrooms growing over our toilet ( on the ceiling ) on day 11.
We called service to have them removed without success. we gave them 2 days.. nothing fixed.. After taking pictures and showing the front desk "day 13".. They said to us ( that someone will come immediately).. Nothing was done.. This was disgusting ... One of the mushrooms was dripping brown liquid on the toilet seat. Our kids loved looking at them grow.. this was a potential health hazard to us all. (one of them measured 4 inches in length). We kept the photos on day 15 nothing was ever done !!

Minor issues:

We never had 2 electronic-door cards working at the same time. ( We did 4-5 trips to the front desk to get new cards or reprogramming). We worked around that.. not a big deal.

hotel installed a dehumidifier on the 14th day that was dirty and leaky ( we had water under the beds) and none in the the water container.

On a positive side to the room : ( The beds are firm and excellent - the "regular" cleaning staff was prompt in daily washing ). They cleaned the mildew stains on the A/C grill but did nothing for the mushrooms.. TV set was good quality and dvd player worked perfect.
bed covers changed every 2 days.

We left 3-4 dollars each day for our maid and also left many cosmetics and clothing for them.

Overall Great experience and we had a super vacation with the exception of the mildew/mold/mushrooms.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
USofA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My goal in posting this review is to provide as balanced a review as possible in an effort to help other travelers decide whether or not to stay at this resort or to help those of you who’ve already booked the trip to make the most of your stay at Dreams Palm Beach.

I have read many reviews of Dreams Palm Beach and most are either hot or cold – love it or hate it so to speak.

I rated this resort rather poorly primarily for this reason: They boast “unlimited luxury” but miss that mark in many ways. Not a “bad” resort, but one that has several misgivings with no apparent quest to significantly improve. More on that below…

The Resort in General
Generally pleasing to the eye. Easy walking to everything on the property -- no need for a tram as is the case with some larger all-inclusive resorts. Lots of palm trees, grounds are pretty well manicured – not stellar, but very good.

The buildings that house the rooms are relatively old. As you may know by now, this property in the early part of 2008 was called Sunscape Punta Cana. So the rooms appear to have some new upgrades such as bedding, LG flat panel TVs, iPod dock alarm clocks, coat of paint perhaps, but the same older structure. More on the rooms below…

Several of the buildings appear to be relatively new – all of the restaurants, shops, and lobby.

Occasionally walking down some of the sidewalks I could smell a slight sewage smell coming from what looked like large manhole covers painted light green.

Rooms
We checked in at around 9:45 PM and to our displeasure the room was as “musty”, “mildewy”, and “wet” as I have read several times in previous negative reviews. At that point I had one of those “darn, I should have took those negative reviews seriously” moments. People, let me tell you something… you could put your hands on the sheets and they truly felt wet. One cannot dismiss this as “the Caribbean”. I have stayed at other resorts in the Caribbean and I have never experienced anything like this. We were so tired we slept in the wet that night. Additionally, after one flush, the toilet broke and it “ran” all night long. I tried to fix it but could not – the toilet was visibly very very old – likely original. Disgusting is probably the most appropriate word here.

The next morning I explained the broken toilet and very wet room. I was told the hotel was booked and that they could not switch us for a day or two. After a bit of a heated discussion, it wasn’t until I explained my son has a “medical condition” that I was taken seriously. My son has asthma, severe at times, and was up much of the night coughing. His condition was definitely aggravated by the musty, mildewy air. While I was at the desk a family of four checked out – bingo, I finally got a commitment that they would move us – they told me to come back at noon – I did and was moved to a third floor room with a partial World Café/partial pool view. A huge improvement with almost no smell of mildew and no wet sheets. I suspect the first floor rooms are the rooms where they have more of a moisture problem – so the tip I will give you is request a third floor room. They are also the only rooms that have nice high ceilings.

The bathrooms are odd. True, water gets all over the floor which is kind of annoying – constantly throwing towels on the floor to mop up all of the water. The frost glass door dividing the bathroom is a pain and poor design. The bathrooms do not look like they were upgraded at all.

A problem I have with this resort and a key reason why I rated them so poorly (…the ugly) is because of our wet room experience along with the many “wet room” reviews I have read on trip advisor. If this is a problem and so many people go to the front desk to ask to be moved/complain, why doesn’t the hotel 1) not rent out the problematic rooms until the issue is fixed, or 2) purchase dehumidifiers? There is absolutely positively no excuse for giving people a wet room. People are paying hard earned money, thousands of dollars, and a wet room is simply unacceptable. PERIOD! If you get a wet room, fight tooth and nail to get what you deserve – even if you have to sleep with a pillow and sheet at the front desk. Do it until you get moved to an acceptable room.

**** A MESSAGE TO THE GENERAL MANAGER OF DREAMS PALM BEACH – MR. JOSE CORLETTO ****
Mr. Corletto, where are you? Do you not “get it”? Time and time again people are writing negative reviews on TripAdvisor.com and complaining about the same things over and over again, such as wet, mildew filled rooms. Are you powerless to take positive action?

Ok, time to change up a bit…

Pools
Very good! Two very large pools. They get pretty cloudy by the end of the day – perhaps because of people spilling their drinks – so many people, even kids, take their drinks with them into the water – nothing wrong with that in my opinion but with that will come spillage. Also, the resort needs to add more chairs around the pool – simply many more people than chairs, at times.

I cannot comment on the Preferred Club pool – I walked passed it every time I went to the Seaside Grill – did not impress me too much. Miguel at the front desk tried to up sell me $150 extra a night to be upgraded to the Preferred Club. When I said no thanks he immediately came down to $100 a night. I offered him $60 a night and he didn’t take me up on it – I’m glad he didn’t because I get the impression it’s not a great value.

Towel Game (as it is commonly called)
I don’t really know what the issue is and why so many people comment on this. I think the people that are writing negative reviews about the “towel game” are the ones that are probably propagating the problem. The resort prohibits (in word only) the saving of chairs – at the pool and beach. So if you see a towel on a chair, it’s yours – how do you know if the towel is one that someone is using to save the chair or one that someone left behind? – you don’t, take the chair. It is quite a different story if someone has left behind their personal belongings – you might want to leave those as is and move on. We never really had a problem finding chairs –even at 95-100% occupancy. You just have to work at it a bit. So be patient. And don’t compound the problem by saving chairs yourself.

Oh boy…honestly, not bad, but not great either. It was “ok”. Some things were better than others – things that stood out as pretty good were the coffee, orange juice, and fruit. Everything else was not very memorable. Again, not bad, but certainly not “gourmet” by any stretch. So adjust those expectations if you’re a foodie. You came for the drinks anyway right?

As for the specialty restaurants – we ate in all but the French restaurant – again, they were not bad, but not great – about average food you might get in suburban America. A few additional observations – there are probably an average of 1000 to 1500 people staying at this resort at any given time so bear in mind that you are eating food that is mass produced – institutional food you might say – so it’s hard to get the kind of gourmet quality food you might want if it’s not made for you personally. Also, I didn’t “get” why you fly to the Caribbean to go to a French, Italian, or Mexican restaurant. I guess all of the all-inclusives are doing it so they have to keep up with the Jones’. I got the impression that the restaurant “frontages” (Mexican, Italian, etc.) were mere facades because all of the food seems to originate out of the World Café (they are all attached) which is the primary restaurant at the resort.

Beach burger/hot dog shack left something to be desired. Did not try the hot dogs, but twice I had burgers that were charred on the outside and blood red on the inside. E coli anyone? I stuck to the grilled chicken (bone-in was only option) and fries.

Drinks
Not too bad but they were very conservative with the rum and alcohol – I’m sure they are trained to do this. I did not ask for more but I’m sure they would give it to you if you ask. This was quite different from the all-inclusive I went to in Barbados – there they would practically fill up your glass with rum and add in a dash of fruit punch – I guess that is the difference when you have the Mount Gay Rum Distillery right down the highway.

If you’re a beer drinker you might ask for it in the bottle vs. the more common draft they like to give you in a small plastic glass.

There is a beach bar/table but they serve everything small plastic cups – kind of like asking for samples.

The Beach and Sea Water
Nice beach but not spectacular. Seaweed particles often floating in the water and washing up on shore, as has been commented on several times before. It’s a shame there are a zillion beach chairs and bodies crammed in on an otherwise nice stretch. Lots of palm trees. I was surprised as to how many topless women were walking around all week.

The water was fairly clear – had a light green tint to it and certainly was not anywhere near gin clear blue as I’ve seen in the Bahamas. Was not a very exciting place to snorkel as many of the fish have been scared off by all of the water sports and boats constantly going back and forth parallel and not far from the beach. The boys at the Dive Shack will take you out to the coral reef for an hour for $10 per person. I promised Francois Marcotti at the Dive Shack I would say a good word for him. He’s a red headed Caucasian Dominican from Santo Domingo – nice. Reminded me of Spicoli, the surfer dude from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The Dive Shack is not part of the Resort but they work together. I suggest bringing your own snorkel gear as they only want to loan you a snorkel and mask for an hour with a $25 cash deposit.

There is something “off” with the ecology of the water and coral reef. I went scuba diving on the coral reef several hundred yards off the beach. Here is my theory – could the lack of fish in the area have thrown the ecology somewhat off track? The coral lacks color and the fish were quite sparse – which seemed odd. It’s hard to describe – the water and marine life just didn’t seem as healthy as it could be – at least right off the beach in the resort areas.

The Staff
Pretty good, although not “knock your socks off good” as some seem to indicate. Like any hotel or resort, there are those that do a great job and others that are just not too enthusiastic about their jobs. I felt a little pressure to tip in many instances because of hearing how low the wages are for the workers. Front desk staff was my least favorite. Not the friendliest. Others however, were memorable – thanks Tony! (World Café).

Excursions
We did the Outback Safari and the Saona Island Speedboat/Catamaran excursions. Both cost about $275 to $300 for each excursion (2 adults/2 children). Both very tiring. We liked the Safari because you really got to see the island, venture into the mountains, etc. Saona was nice but the downside was the bus trip to where you get on the boats – took us almost 2 hours to and 1.5 hours back. Was a very long day.

Shopping
Not very good. Limited shopping. We personally did not feel all that safe walking down the street to the vendor shacks. Other times we went to the Caribbean we had a car rental and could go/see/do whenever we wanted. We felt a little stranded at the resort – not much at all on Punta Cana – just all-inclusive resorts, that’s about it.

Sickness
The day we got back to the US of A, two of us came down with a wicked bout of Montezuma’s Revenge. Five days of severe you know what – we eventually went to a doctor and were prescribed a heavy duty antibiotic. That did the trick.

Additional Annoyances & Suggestions
-Gift shop in lobby charges up to $28 for suntan lotion – bring your own and lots of it – the sun is wicked hot down there.
-Gift shop will not give you a receipt when you charge items to your room. That is their policy. Complain – if everyone complains maybe they will change their policy.
-Front Desk staff was probably the most unfriendly of all of the staff on the property – not sure why, maybe they are tired of having people complain about wet rooms, etc.
-Most of the staff doesn’t speak English well. This gets old.
-Punta Cana is very “touristy” – from the time you get off the plane until the time you get back on someone will be trying to sell you something or trying to carry your bags, etc.
-The Dreams Brochure advertises Giant Chess – they do not have it. Not sure why they advertise it.
-Resort does a very poor job of enforcing any rules. Kind of strange. There is like mini chaos at times. There was almost no management presence at this resort.
-Don’t expect the Apple Rep to be your advocate. They and the Dreams staff appear to work for the same parent company.
-Many of the shops on the property are privately owned/operated which means you cannot charge to your room.
-Housekeeping will rarely deliver towels to you when you call to request extra – out of about seven calls, we had towels delivered once. It was quite amusing and when comparing notes, other guests said the exact same thing. You will learn towel preserving strategies at this hotel!

Overall
We had a fair to good vacation because we made the best of it. Far, far from a "Dream". If you can get into this resort at a bargain price (Apple Square Deal) such as a $599 for 7 nights, it MIGHT be worth it if you can overlook A LOT and deal with many of the things I outlined above, but personally, I would not return to Dreams Palm Beach or try a Dreams resort ever again. They just make too many fumbles and are not all that apologetic when they do. As for Apple Vacations, they are catering to the masses and I just didn’t like feeling like a head of cattle.

It was an adventure. Sure glad it’s over!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Just returned Aug 13 2009 Over all we had a good time. Service in restaurants is slow. Cafe food was very good. The fresh fruit was wonderful .Chinese restaurant's food pretty bad. Mexican restaurant was great. Staff was very friendly and eager to please. Beach and pool area was nice and clean but there was not enough towels, chairs or shade to go around. If you want to get a shade spot you need to get up before 700 am to get a place. Our room was not clean or stocked when we went in. It was taken care of quickly. Room was musty and damp. AC needs to be kept cold to keep the floor dry. Shower was terrible. It had a half glass panel and every time the shower was used the floor was flooded. Our trip was a bargain trip and we received what we paid for plus some. If we had paid more we would have been disappointed. This resort is rated as a 6 apple resort. We give it a 5 apple.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My boyfriend and I visited Dreams Punta Cana for two weeks in August, dreaming of sun, sea, sand and a swim up bar. This is exactly what we got.... plus much more.

On Arrival, which was only 20mins from the airport, (1st stop off) we recieved excellent service, bellboys for our luggage, a champagne cocktail and chilled lemon scented towels to cool us down. The Reception staff were very welcoming and made us feel at home.

Staff on this resort made our hoilday extra special. The entertainment team in particular worked their socks off. There was an aray of activities for all ages poolside, beachside, daytime through to evening. A personal touch and good humour were used by staff to encourage everyone to join in. We never felt pressured at any time. Our particular favourites were Rey (mad as ever and always took time to chat, a really lovely fella), Jairo ( Quiet, genuine and a great laugh) Gasolina ( funny and very entertaining - brilliant at his job). These and other staff gave this place an atmosphere to "Dream" of. It made our hoiday extra special. As a couple we rarely return to the same hotel, but due to the great atmosphere we most definatly would consider returning here.

Food and restaurants were also excellent. Again the service was fab! Tony ( world Cafe ) with his big smile and attentive service. Food in here was excellent. So much to choose from and such good quality. Restaurants were also great.... our favourites were The French and Italian (Inoah-great waiter). It was brilliant not to have to book a table days in advance. we loved the bleeper system, which gave us the opportunity to have a drink at the bar while we waited.

Because of the great atmosphere, amazing cocktails (Tucan- our fave) and the activities provided, it made Dreams an easy place to meet people and make new friends. Not only did we witness a beautiful wedding (Ian & Colleen congratulations!) but we also had the privilege of meeting the Molloy family, who we are sure we will keep in touch with. The only problem being it made our holiday go too quickly because of the great fun we had with them.

We had a fantastic holiday here and we were sad to say goodbye. This place is special and is well worth a visit, we enjoyed every minute of our hoilday here.
Thankyou Dreams Palm Beach!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Here is my rundown:
Pro's
Close to airport (20mins)
Quick check in
Grounds are nice
Specialty restaurants serve great food
Beach is large and beautiful
Room itself is nice
Entertainment great

Con's
Towels service is horrible, you can never get a beach towel!!!
Bathrooms have no privacy and are wet, moldy and awkard
You continually need to ask for triple alcohol in drinks
House wine is gross
They never have the wine on the wine lists in restaurants
Simple things like ordering a cheese plate with a bottle of wine to the lobby take forever, like your asking for something complex
Service is slow, I understand island time but this was uncalled for
Huge language barrier, people at the front desk didn't understand me

The resort is nice, but after experiencing a lot of all inclusives, you come to expect certain things... The beach was huge and the water was very beautiful. Some of the staff were very happy and helpful, others could care less. They really need to fix the towel problem, there were people that would hang around the entertainment area and just wait for them to get towels. How can you expect to be at a beach resort and not be able to get a towel??? The bathrooms are gross and the toiletries were in used bottles, very nasty. I found overall that simple things were very hard to get done. In the Italian restaurant I wanted to order 2 bottles of wine, the waiter came back and said they only had these specific wines and they were all the most expensive in each category. Gimme a break, I mean they were the most expensive - $300 for a merlot...I wouldn't pay that in that type of environment. Its definently a place for kids, and I would recommend families going. The fitness room was very small, it had 2 treadmills, 2 elipticals and 2 bikes, freeweights, and some leg/shoulder machines. It needs to be expanded...the spa was good, my wife and I had a massage. Besides the actual room feeling like a dank closet, the massage was very good and the reception area is pretty. The resort is on the smaller side which is good if you need to run to your room or the lobby from the beach, the buffett for breakfast and lunch are nice, good amount to choose from but as expected can be repetitive by the end. Overall I wound not go back and may not ever choose to go back to the DR, I've seen much nicer beaches on other islands.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!