“Went for a week, but wished we could have stayed longer!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #17 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reading
“Went for a week, but wished we could have stayed longer!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

This is the first review I've posted on this website, which I felt compelled to do after reading some of the negative reviews of Dreams Palm Beach. After staying for a week in this hotel, I can honestly say that I would not hesitate to go back. Take the more abraisive negatives opinions mentioned in other reviews with a pinch of salt: Yes maybe there's the sunbed-grabbing activities early in the morning, but where can you truly escape this aside from renting privately?? When you balance this against the stunning rooms, the good food, stunning pools/beach and the staff themselves, it seems of little importance.

As for the choice of restaurants, the World Cafe is great for any meal, there's always a good range, and the mexican is great too. The staff in these places do not let your glass get below half full, and genuinely can't do enough for you. Room was just stunning; it was a Preferred club room which I would assume makes some difference, but all the same it was very close to 5* EngIish quality. I suppose what I'm getting at, without wanting to ramble, is that I wholly agree with the positive comments posted by others, and would encourage anyone I know to give this hotel a go.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,655)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sheboygan Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

We booked the 6 apple square deal and were concerned after reading the reviews. I think that we definitely got a great deal. While I agree that the hotel is not a 6 apple, it is a very nice place. My only concern was that I got sick and so did several other people. Was this the fault of the hotel??? I didn't drink or brush my teeth with the water, but after being sick for the third day and going to the hotel doctor and getting Cipro, things were better. This happens in many places, too.

Room: 7202. Overlooked the pool. Clean. Super great beds. Air and water pressure were fine. No complaints here except shampoo is poor and no conditioner. I can easily live with that! The first night they brough us a fruit platter and a bottle of champagne. We didn't order it, but the idea was delightful.

Food: Buffet: Average. It was better than the buffet at the RIU. For a 6 apple, I was surprised by the lack of garnishing that they did,however. We could always find something to eat. Since I was sick, I used room service a few times. Room service got the order mixed up, but they were totally pleasant. Didn't have any crackers to eat when I was sick. The buffet had lobster three evenings. The specialty restaurants were good to very good. We would go and put our name on a list and come back later. We enjoyed sitting at the hotel lobby and talking to people from all over the world. Everybody was so very nice.

Pool: Yes, people did place towels on chairs early in the morning. I do agree that towels should be limited and they should get more chairs. Service at the pool bar and the ladies walking around was somewhat slow, but I could easily live with that. I enjoyed that the music at the pool wasn't blaring. People can bring their own ipods and listen to what they want rather than having the music blaring. Activities at the pool were limited, which was more than fine with me. I wish that one pool would be an activity pool and one would be a quiet pool.

Beach: Did have some seaweed, but they did try to clean up in the mornings. The water was wonderful in spite of the wind.

Casino: Very small and I DIDN'T WIN!!!!! So what else is new? Evening shows were very typical. We didn't care for them, but did enjoy just relaxing in the lobby bar. Yes, the liquor did get limited at times, but that just encouraged us to try different drinks. The Cipro limited the drinking, too.

Other than getting sick, I would recommend this hotel. You'll have a great time if you go with the right mind. Not a 6 apple, but a very nice place with very friendly people.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

After reading the reviews...I didn't sleep and was very reluctant to go. We stuck it out and are so glad we did!!! Everything was smooth! The staff (Gasolina, Francisco, Gloria) were incredible. They treat you like you are the only one there!! The food was fantastic...never had to wait!! The pool chairs were hard to come by and some folks even got a little nasty about it...but all in all....we loved it and would go back any time!!!

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed at Dreams Palm Beach the week of March 22 to March 29, 2009. I was a little nervous after reading the reviews on this site, but after staying here for a week, I realize the bad reviews were from people who like to complain. This place was wonderful. The staff were very concerned about our comfort and happiness. The food was fabulous. The Bourdeax was our favorite, we ate there three times. We only had to wait one time for a restaurant which was the Japanese restaurant. All the others, we got right in. If you make an attempt to get to know some of the staff, you will be treated much better. Remember they are working very hard for the little money that they make. We loved Gloria, Gasolina, and Francisco. I was amazed at how rude some people can be. I think some people go there looking for something to complain about. Usually when you go on vacation, all you want to do is eat, drink and be merry. If you go with this attitude, you will have a great time, which we did. You do have to get up early to get a chair. We talked to the Apple rep about this and she advised that they are in the process of getting more chairs. This was our only complaint with the hotel. However, our Apple rep recommended that we go to Don Lucas Cigar Factory to do shopping. DO NOT GO THERE! It is a waste of time and they abandon you there for 2 hours. We were very disappointed with the Apple Rep for suggesting this.

If you are staying at this hotel, enjoy. I wish I could have stayed for another week. Give Gasolina a pinch on the butt for me and tell him it is from his friend in Michigan.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Hi
We arrived home after our trip to DPB meeting up with our friends from Akron Ohio for the third time on Vacation having previously met them in the Bahamas 2 years before.
The hotel I thought was a bit on the quiet side but Hey it was the making if a relaxing holiday.
All the reviews I had read prior going to DPB left me wondering if we had chosen the wrong hotel but when we arrived there ourselves my mind was put at ease.
I dont know what people can dislike about this place.It's the fifth time that we have been to the Dominican and I thought this place was as good as the others previously visited including 3 Riu Hotels.
When we arrived we were taken to the Preffered Club Reception for a quick check-in then taken to our room,on arriving there it over looked the pool and I told the girl we had paid for a Partial Ocean View Room,she checked this and told us there were none until the next day so the offered us a Suite in Block 5 for the night so we agreed and then they offered us a free upgrade to the suite for our 2 weeks so that was a pleasant surprise.

The Hotel has not long opened so I think it's just minor problems to be rectified.

1) People reserving sun loungers then not using them,Why not give out towel cards then people only get one towel instead of taking 3,4 or how ever many they wanted.
We seen people reserving beds at the pool then going down and lying on the beach.
2) Premium branded drinks run out every night so you had to change your drink towards the end of the evening,Why not order more stock so they dont run out.
3) People getting very Irate when refused entry to the Preffered Club Area, Why not sign-post the area to let people know that it's the Preffered Club.
4) Finally the Entertainment Theatre had no tables to put your drinks on so you had to hold them in your hand or put them on the floor.why not get some tables in there.

Over all we had a good time the Food was really good in All the restaurants and the service was second to none ,everybody working there always said Hola to my wife and I and they were always smiling and pleasant from the guy cleaning the beach,waiting staff,to the Bar tenders.Good work Guys
Hello to Rivera and his team in the Beach Grill Restaurant.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Dreams Palm Beach was a great place. The service was excellent, there was nothing we asked for that we did not get. "It's our pleasure" was the daily response. The beach and pool area was the view from our room, breathtaking. The entertainment team created an atmosphere of fun and were busy all day with the guests. We learned the marenge, how to make tropical drinks, vollyball on the beach as well as water aerobics and yoga every morning. The spa was fabulous, the best massage I ever had!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

To say my boyfriend and I were a bit worried about our 2 week holiday to Dreams PB after reading all the reviews would be an understatement. Perhaps we stayed in a different hotel to everyone else?! We had a fantastic holiday and would return in a heart beat.

Reception:
Our check in went nice and smoothly. We were greeted with a glass of champagne, a cool mint smelling face cloth and a big smile with the first words to us being 'Welcome Home'. We booked the Preffered club so we had a private check in and a quick tour of the resort while being shown to our room. We didn't really have any need to visit reception but everytime we passed we were always asked if everything was ok with our stay.

Rooms:
LOVELY! We had no problems in our room at all. We were in 3208 and had a tropical view. We made good use of the robes and slippers while having a cup of coffee on our balcony in the morning! The i-pod docking station worked just fine as did the integril alarm clock. The flat screen tv was a 'tiny' bit snowy but hardly noticeable. Our mini bar was stocked daily without fail. We asked the guy to fill it with diet coke as this was the only soft drink we liked, handed him a couple of dollars and our request was met every day. We took our laptop and took advantage of free internet access. You get a code and password and this lasts for 6 days or 10 hours. The bed was sooo comfortable and very roomy. We had our bed turned down every night with the next days entertainment, weather forecast and a couple of mint chocolates left by the pillow. The shower really is not such a big issue, yes it's not the best design and water does go on the floor but I wouldn't say it was a problem.

Pool:
We stayed around the preffered pool for the entire holiday. It was by the seaside grill and the bar! Of course there was chair reserving going on but I haven't been to a hotel where this does not happen however, it did become quite annoying to people that would come round the pool after 9am and not be able to find anywhere to lay. There were always ample towels left at the side of the pool and you would see some people with about 4 towels over their sun beds! The area was clean and very well maintained. We saw guests around the beach and the other pool getting tray service however, around the Preffered pool this did not happen until they had a visit from the President and other colleagues from Dreams Resorts. We found this to be a bit annoying.

Food:
The food is absolutely amazing. We have been to Punta Cana 6 times and the food at DPB is easily the best we have had. We went to the buffet twice for lunch and twice for dinner. There was so much choice and everything we had tasted fresh and delicious.
We also visited all of the a la carte restaurants. Our favourite was the French. The service in here is impecable and very sincere. 'Tito' the welcome host was great and was very interested in making sure you were having a great time. The food was equally amazing. My favourite was the breaded camambert to start and and the lamb chops for main. The creme brulee was nice, as was the chocolate cake!
The Italian was our least favourite but it wasn't terrible. My raviolli was not cooked enough and was chewy but we never went again so maybe they were just having an off day?
The Japanese is very fun with a great atmosphere. The food was delicious. You were served sushi to nibble on while looking at the menu.
The Mexican was nice but we ate far too much in here and couldn't move for the rest of the night. The tortilla chips they put on your table are dangerous! We had an amazing steak in here, it was MASSIVE!
The Seaside Grill was our 2nd home while on holiday. As we were part of the Prefferd club, we ate breakfast and lunch here every day. The team working were there the whole 2 weeks we were and it was great having a laugh and joke with them every day. We also went there for dinner a couple of nights and the food was great. I would definately recommend the shrimp salad to start. The shrimps are big juicy and delicious!
With regards to drinks, we never had a problem getting top shelf liquor. You do however have to ask for it or you will get the local brand.

Lobby:
The looby is fine, nicely decorated and very spacious. There is a big issue with seating. There just isn't enough seats available in the evenings for all the guests as this is the only bar to use and obviously everyone goes there. There is lots of un used space that seating could occupy. Due to sitting in random places every night, table service was very sporadic even though we tipped every night.

Entertainment & Theatre:
I can't really comment on the entertainment team as we just used to relax all day and not get involved with the activities. As we work in hotels ourselves we took this holiday just to do simply nothing however all the activities did look very fun.
The theatre is bizarre. It is a conference room by day and theatre at night. It fely like I was sitting in a school assembley hall while watching the entertaiment. It just didn't feel like we were in the Dominican Republic watching a show and so we only went twice to watch the entertainment.

Overall I would rate this hotel as excellent. The staff are great, food is delicious and there are plenty of things to do to occupy you day or night.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!