“Beautiful resort, great time, not 6 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“Beautiful resort, great time, not 6 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Dreams Palm Beach Feb 13-20 as part of a 6 Apple Square Deal. We didn't know where we were staying until we got to the airport, but had suspicions it would be one of the Dreams resorts based on what I've heard. I have stayed at two other all inclusives in Mexico, one 4 star(apple), one 5 star(apple), so was eager to see what a "6 apple" resort would be like.

OVERALL: Got for a good deal through "square deal" but would never pay the full price. This is not a 6 star resort- 5 star at best. Had a great time but expected more from a "6 Apple"- should be the best of the best.

Pros: Friendly staff, beautiful buildings/landscaping, nice rooms, spacious beach, close to shops
Cons: Long waits sometimes for restaurants, poor top shelf alcohol selection, not much area to walk down beach, mediocre room service/concierge, unfinished theater/tennis courts, average nightly entertainment

AIRPORT: Check in went smoothly. Airport is very cute- thatched roof, you get out of the plane right on the tarmac, take pics with Dominican costumed women (which will be ready to purchase at the airport when you depart home for 9 or 10 bucks I think). You are immediately enveloped in the Dominican vibe. I always take my own luggage right to the Apple bus myself- give to a luggage boy and you may never see your bags again- and the walk is so short it's not worth paying someone for.

LOCATION: Dreams is about 15-20 minutes away from the airport in a grouping of three or so other resorts. The rest of the big resorts are further north up the coast (about 20-30 minute car ride). If you like shopping there are rows of shops about a 2 minute walk from the resort (see on left when you are driving in) where all tourists go and you can haggle for good deals on T-shirts, art, clothes, etc etc. We asked our Apple rep about it first because we weren't sure if it was safe, etc, but she said many people go there and once you go it's obviously touristy. We spent about 60 bucks there for 2 shirts, a bottle of rum and a large piece of artwork. Beware, however, that vendors aggressively try to get you to visit the shops. Try to start at the back and work your way up for maybe better deals.

BUILDINGS: The resort itself is beautiful. The lobby is stunning, perfect mix of modern and Caribbean feel. It's the major hangout place at night too. We got in before 1400 and check in is at 1500 so our luggage was stowed and we went to lunch, had a drink, wandered around a bit. Right at 1500 we checked back and got a room right away. We had some miscommunication about our luggage because the front desk told us it would be in our room but it wasn't so later we had to go back and ask the bellboy about it and found it was still downstairs. No big deal. The resort has a very cozy, intimate feel with all the buildings grouped around the center pool area.

ROOM: Very echo-y- buildings are tiled and you can hear people talking, walking, etc (we were on the second floor-heard third was better). Very nice and clean inside, bathroom a bit outdated, no tub, average shower (worse than the 5 star I went to). Biggest issue we had was the so called "mini bar" which had two beers, soda, juice, water and was not restocked the first night and then subsequently only restocked partway with one beer, two if we were lucky. Also meager supply of bottled water which we hoarded every day to have enough. Odd time management too; they clean rooms in AM then restock mini bar at 3-4 PM then turn down service in evening. Maid service good. Nice balcony which blocked wind very well. Really noisy air conditioner, but does provide white noise against the hallway noises at night. No bugs in sight, nice decor, beautiful. Comes with only mini iron board.

BEACH: Beach is very beautiful. Powdery white sand, many palm trees. Some competition for chairs but we were able to always find two within a couple minutes. It pays to ask people if they're using them instead of wandering aimlessly. Some seaweed on the shore which they cleaned every morning. No need for water shoes going into the water either. Lots of motorized activity nearby- you can see a marina down a bit to the south and boats are continually zipping back and forth. You couldn't swim out too far for risk of being in the way of the water traffic, but there was a clearly marked swimming area where boats couldn't go. Nice active beach feel though- something always going on. Only negative is for walkers: there is a resort and then wild beach to the north so you can walk about 10-15 minutes before you hit a sign that says it's no longer a "safe area" for tourists. There are no resorts that way and we saw a Dominican family once or twice so I think the locals use that area too. To the south there was a resort and then the marina which was fenced off so that was an even shorter walk. So those hoping for endless walking for hours should probably look at the resorts more to the north because there are so many of them you can just walk and walk and walk.

FOOD: No reservations needed here which was a nice departure from the usual. You could actually decide what you were in the mood for instead of booking the week's worth on your first day. Food and service was good, not amazing. We liked the Mexican place. Had to wait unless we went right at 1830. Longest wait was about 90 minutes. Didn't bother us too much though because you could go have a drink, take a walk. Just anticipate a wait. Good beachside grill with burgers, hot dogs. Buffet was ok- no theme nights that we saw so it could get old quickly if you go there often. Very nice decor at all places though. Most people dressed up too so bring plenty of dresses/pants/etc.

DRINKS: There are two bars open at night- lobby and then poolside, which was nice because the poolside one was usually dead after seven or so. Also a bar at the "disco". Was disappointed by the variety of "top shelf" alcohol. Best were Johnny Walker Black, Stoli vodka, Absolut, Tanguerey gin, Jack Daniels but we couldn't find them every night and there seemed to be only one bottle a night when they were there. Everyone bombarded the lobby bar but you could get service relatively quickly and the drinks were strong.

ENTERTAINMENT: Nightly shows were average. Themes about what you'd expect. Theater is being built so a stage by the pool was used. Chairs were put out every night (less than 100). Reminded me of the 4 star resort I've been to. Many daytime activities which I don't really participate in but there always seemed to be something going on. We brought our tennis racquets and were very disappointed to find that despite tennis courts being listed on the resort map and in the info binder in the room the courts are in fact still being built. Seems like false advertisement to me and not 6 star at all. Went on two excursions: Outback Safari and Bavaro Splash both of which I would recommend. The casino is laughable. The nightclub had nice decor but was full of young kids when we went even though it opens at 2200.

SERVICE: Great service in the restaurants and bars, poor front desk, fair concierge. We had minor issues with our room- alarm clock didn't work, none of the buttons (ie spa, concierge, front desk) worked on the phone so we dialed the operator each time, mini bar wasn't restocked, which were taken care of... eventually. We spent too much time looking for the tennis courts which didn't exist and then asked the front desk about it. The guy tried to be helpful and take us to where they were on the map but it took a security guard to let him and us know they weren't yet finished. The front desk guy obviously did not even know what was going on at the resort and then instead of acknowledging his mistake he started talking about how everyone on the resort makes it a practice to say "Hola" to everyone else..?!?! A couple of days later I happened to mention it to the Apple rep who told me you can make a reservation with the concierge and they will take you somewhere to play. Not worth the effort but at least she knew! Basically ask your Apple rep anything you want to know because individual employees seem uninformed and unreliable.

I had a lot of fun at this resort and would return to Punta Cana again. I would recommend this resort if they rated and priced it appropriately. If you can get a good deal it's worth it, if not I would go to one of the resorts up the beach and get more for your dollar.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,652)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at this resort from Feb 13-20, and had a very good time.

CHECK IN: It was smooth, but we did have to wait 2 hours for our room. I complained once about the wait and voila, suddenly a room became available (cooincidence?).

CLEANLINESS: Very clean. Grounds are well manicured, and everything looks new. However, this applies only to what is there and it's what is NOT there that raises questions about whether or not this is a true 5 star resort. It's true, there is not enough colors around the grounds and it even feels empty in a lot of places around the resort. There needs to be more scenery around the resort, more bushes... more gardens, more ponds, wildlife, etc...

BEACH: The beach is also very clean and beautiful, but there is definitely a seaweed issue. It's only natural for the seaweed to wash up on shore and the resort cannot stop it from happening, but they can stop the accumulation of it on shore, and they fail to do this regularly, so it gathers on shore. It can ruin pictures, if you're looking for a spotless beach. However, it's not gross slimy seaweed. Think of it as soft dark green pine needles, so in that way it could be worse. The beach is very deep with lots chairs, but if you want a chair beside a grass hut for shade, get out EARLY (7:00am ish). If a hut isn't a necessity, you can still get a chair after 8:30.

POOL: same deal as the beach, any good spot will require a very early wake time. Chair reserving is rampant here - be informed of this before hand. The two main pools are great. They aren't as long and windy as Dreams Punta Cana, but have a similar design. They're fairly deep, which is nice. There is also a Preferred Club pool, but in my opinion completely isn't worth it. It's very small with no bar and quiet (which may be your thing).

ENTERTAINMENT: Nightime entertainment was limited to the outdoor stage during our stay because the theatre wasn't ready. However, it should be open now (Feb 21 was said to be the first show indoors), so I won't even comment on the outdoor nighttime shows. The daytime poolside entertainment is severely lacking. There is almost nothing going on during the day, so if you want entertainment, most time it is up to yourself to create it for your party. Every now and then you can see something happening, but the entertainment team is never out recruiting people to participate, so unless you know exactly what you want to do and where and when - you won't be asked to do anything. But even with these activities, it's extremely limited. Bottom line: If you come here, be prepared to create your own fun.

FOOD: The restaurants were excellent. We did get sick eating at the Italian restaurant however - this may or may not have been caused by the food - use your own discretion. The decor in all restaurants are great, you will not be disappointed in this regard. As for the buffet, yes, it is good food with a great selection and definitely up to par with other resorts. It does take a long time to get drinks... after a few days we just got up and got our own drinks and refills. However, I have a few issues I see as relevant -> It's open-air. This means no air conditioning (relief), which you may love or hate. It also means FLIES, which were a common feature for every meal we ate here. I also saw dominican birds flying into the buffet and literally eating scraps off of plates. I also saw a bird land on a freshly prepared table and walk all over the unused utensils. Again, use your own discretion.

SERVICE: Very hit and miss. Some will bend over backwards for you and do so with a huge smile. Some are literally outright rude. If you get the right people, you'll have an experience. That's all I really have to say about that. This resort has some really great people here, and some who really take their job for granted. So, on the whole, the service here is not where it should be.

ROOMS: The rooms are beautiful. We stayed in the deluxe tropical view. They have a very modern feel to it, comfy sheets, free safe, patio with chairs. Overall the rooms are very good. A few issues: the TV goes in and out, one day it works, next it doesn't. Our minibar when we arrived had 1 beer and 1 coke, and 1 water.
The Dreams book says it is to have 4 beer, 4 pop, 4 water. Our minibar went untouched for 2 days until I called to have it refreshed. After that, it was refreshed everyday.
The maid service is very very inconsistent. It wasn't uncommon for our room to go untouched for a full day. It wasn't uncommon for them to miss a turndown or a cleaning here or there... We didn't really care, but it was noticeable.
Finally, the bathroom is a joke. It really is. There's no tub, just a stand up shower with half of a glass door. The floor is gets soaked in the bathroom because of this. There's also no official door to the bathroom it's all open-concept with the entire bedroom. There's a glass door the divides the sink from the shower and toilet but it doesn't even have a latch to close, it just rests against the wall. Again, for us not a big deal, a family? could be an issue.

LOCATION: 20 minute ride to the airport, one of the closest resorts. The resort sits directly beside Blau Natura Park and Grand Oasis Bavaro. There is a sewage field literally within steps of the resort (we saw it), which isn't an issue unless you're in building 9, in which case you'll get a nice whiff of sewage every single time you go to your room.

VALUE: We got a great deal on this resort so our value was great ($1108 excluding taxes). This all depends on what you pay to stay here. If we had to pay anymore than we did, we ultimately would have probably been disappointed.

Other Notes:
- It's a very small resort. Everything is close together, doesn't take long to get from one end to the other.
- Not very many younger couples
- $25 for 25 hours of internet that can be used for 6 days, good deal

Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

First just let me say that I am a certified sun worshipper, big time ocean swimmer, a read-and-relax with a Caribbean drink in my hand kind of person. I will pay the extra price for a bit of luxury. After all, I don’t have the opportunity to vacation like this every year. The weather was awesome for 7 days and that alone was well worth it for me. The Resort was beautiful, clean and was much like I expected it would be.

For the first time in my life I travelled alone as a single woman craving that personal escape holiday and wanted to choose a Resort that had that added security and privacy attached to it. My expectations were high and I believed that I would get that little extra attention at Dreams PB and the Preferred Club (PC) appeared to be that added bonus for me as well. Boy, was I wrong. The extra cost was definitely not worth it.

The only PC benefit for me was the free internet in the room (to stay in touch with my kids and send pics). The PC lounge is totally overrated. They don’t keep the coffee or afternoon hors d’oeuvres topped up and were often all gone whenever I went in. My first morning in the Seaside Grill exclusive to PC guests I was one of 3 people in the restaurant and it took 45 minutes for an omelette to be made and it arrived hot but undercooked. I think they forgot then rushed it. The main buffet would have been a better bet.

Not sure about the PC benefit of upgraded mini bar because I don’t know what was in the non-upgraded one. Four beers, 4 waters and a few non-alcoholic beverages isn’t my interpretation of upgraded and certainly they could have included snacks as well. I am not really a beer drinker and prefer wine and when I asked if they could supply wine in my fridge instead of beer they said it would be an additional cost. What? It’s free if I go to the bar and ask for 4 glasses of wine but not if I want a bottle in my room. They also said it would be an extra cost to bring wine with my room service order. Don’t get it.

My room was classified as Oceanfront but overlooked the private pool that was not only too noisy during my siesta time but barely big enough for 2 adults and was usually filled with children, the hot tub as well. Are kids supposed to be in hot tubs? Don’t get me wrong I love kids but it seemed they could have had way more fun in the bigger pool with other kids. The private beach was better for me anyway as a certified beachbum and security there was great. The lounge chair hoarding was disgraceful but luckily I was happy in the sun and I was only one person so finding a single chair wasn’t that difficult.

I wasn’t impressed that staff didn’t go that extra mile for us paying PC customers. They could have provided much better written or posted information on PC priveledges, descriptions of such and activities too. To have gone above and beyond to service us more. After all we paid for it. They fell very short in that area.

Finally, you’d think the Resort could buy a second CD to play in the PC outdoor area. As wonderful as it was upon arrival and not offensive, it was played continuously on repeat all day long from 9am until 7pm and I still have the tunes in my head as I sit here writing. I wonder who else found this annoying.

I know Dreams PB have kinks to work out as they continue to get up and running fully at their best so I have an accepting and understand heart here. If I were to go back I would not pay the extra PC price but for the holiday that I was wanting and will want again; sun, sand, ocean, Caribbean cocktail drinks, trashy novels and lots of relaxation, I absolutely received it. Now if it had rained this could have been a completely different story!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Hillsdale MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

My wife and I just returned from 7 nights at Dreams Palm Beach 2/12-2/19. First of all, we had a good time. The weather was great the entire time (low 80s durning day and mid 70s at night), and the food was great.

But this is not an 6 Apple resort! This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana through Apple Vacations. We have stayed at the RUI Naiboa (3 Apple), Caribe Club Princess (4 Apple) and Iberostar Punta Cana (5 Apple), and we would go back to any of those again. It's doubtful we would ever go back to the Dreams Palm Beach for serveral reasons.

ARRIVAL: Our flight from Detroit was delayed 4 hours so we didn't arrive until after 3 p.m. Once we got there, Apple did not have ground transportation ready and we had to wait for a bus to arrive. We didn't have to wait long but you would think they be ready for us (about 50 people heading for this one resort).

FRONT DESK: This is were our problems started. Again, you would think that arriving at the resort after 4 p.m., which is past check-in, that our room would be ready. Nope. We were told to go sit at the bar for a few minutes and they would come and get us. Well, 30 minutes and a couple drinks later, no one came and I had to go back up to reception and talk to someone else.

They finally got us a room (we were surposed to have a king-sized bed but it had two double beds, But, hey, it was a room and we could live with that). After tossing things into our room, we went to eat and then came back to find that we couldn't get into the room safe and then the power to our room dimmed and never came back.

After several calls and long waits (5 minutes there means they will show up in 30 minutes), we had four staff members in our room trying to figure out the safe and the power. We told them we wanted another room and we got it (still two double beds). We were finally settled after 8 p.m.

ROOM: We could have switched rooms the next day to get a king-sized bed but my wife said she wasn't going to pack and unpack again. The room was nice with a nice view overlooking part of the pool and the stage but we had some plumbling problems: sink dripped the entire time, toilet was sluggish one day but was fixed while we were at the beach and then it would "run" after we flushed it. It would have to take the lid off and raise the arm to get it to stop (had flashbacks that I was home!)

Weird bathroom. If you read any of the other reviews, you know most of the rooms, if not all, don't have a bathtub; just a shower. Picture a shower, two sliding glass doors. Now, take away one of the doors and make the one door closests to the shower head permanent. Needless to say, you get water all over the floor everytime you take a shower.

POOL: Didn't spend much time at the pool. We go for the beach, but the pool is large and very popular. Nice pool chairs that are padded with head rests.

BEACH: The beach is soft white sand, no rocks and palm trees and huts for shade but it is not as nice as the beach at the other three resorts we stayed at. That beach is great compared to this and this wasn't that bad, except they very seldomed cleaned up the seaweed.

FOOD: We can't say enough good things about the food. We went to all the Ala Carte restaurants for dinner and had great food and service at them all. We ate breakfast and lunch at the World Cafe and it was good.

IN SUMMARY: We had a good vacation but this resort didn't live up to our expectations for a 6 Apple resort. Robes, chocolate and turn-down service doesn't make it that.

Also, you will find alot of kids at this resort. Hey, no problem with that, but you should know that ahead of time. (Note to parents that let their son bring this skateboard: LEAVE IT AT HOME!). The music they play around the pool needs alot of work. I don't want to hear America's Top 40 when I'm in the Cabibbean. You get the tropical music at the other resorts. Pet peeve: Leave you cell phones and laptops at home. We did! You are on vacation! We left the phone number of the resort with our kids and instructions not to call unless there was an emergency.

canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This is my second time going to the dominican, first time going to punta cana after hating puerto plata, friends convinced me to go to punta cana being that its so much better. First of all it rained 4 1/2 days out of 7 which is not unusual.. even thought it isnt rain season. This resort was suppose to be a 6 apple resort and i would rate it at a 4 being generous.. the people were extremely rude, we were given the wrong room and when we called they would pick up and hang up on us at front desk because they did not want to deal with our problems. The service was awful in the buffet, and it was alright in the restaurants but make sure you get to them early as there are no reservations and theres always a wait.. italian would be the only one i would say is worth waiting for. We could not go to the steak house on the water because it was too windy all week and of course it rained every night. The rooms at this hotel are nothing special and you definetly dont have any privacy in the shower or baath room area as it is all open with a swinging door for the shower and toilet. The only thing good was the food but it was very repetative at the buffet. We also went to the spa which was okay but the power went out 3x and not all ammenities were available like the jacuzzi was broken and you could hear alot of noise from hotel next door in certain spa rooms.Also we were not able to leave the resort as people we met there told you they had traveled down the beach for a walk and were robbed by some of the local people there, next to the hotel you will also find a dirt road with just a barb wire fence for anyone to climb over with two shacks, this made us feel very unsafe. I will never return to this hotel and wouldnt recommend it to anybody or punta cana for that matter

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We arrived on February 8, 2009 for a 7 day stay at Dreams Palm Beach.
We were greeted by the bellman with a friendly smile and a "Welcome Home!" What a wonderful way to start our stay. We did indeed feel "back home" even though we had never been to this resort. This was our 7th stay at either a Sunscape or a Dreams resort.

We did not take the transfer provided by AppleVacations, but arranged a private transfer with Dominican Taxi Service which we have used numerous times with complete satisfaction. Since we "beat" the bus, check-in was very fast with no waiting in line. The gentleman checking us in was very fluent in English and also greeted us with a warm welcome. He gave us a quick orientation of the property and supplied us with a map. While we were checking in, a young man brought us cool washcloths. That was so nice after the long flight. Then a young lady brought us Mimosas and warm chocolate cookies. We both felt so pampered already! A bell-boy was immediately at our side with our luggage to take us to our room. And what a room....It was amazing!! It was room 3301 in the preferred section. We have stayed in honeymoon suites before, but this one was over the top. Since it was a refurbished resort, two rooms were combined into one which made for a very spacious suite. The very best thing in the whole room had to be the bed. We have never had such a comfortable bed in the Dominican or Mexico. They are usually cement with sheets. This was a pillow-top mattress. Also, a pillow menu was available, but we were happy with the pillows we had. I always bring our own facecloths but everyday we had 3 facecloths along with plenty of towels. Beach towels were even in our room as well as robes and slippers. Body wash, shampoo, sunscreen, toothbrushes and razor were supplied in the room. A hammock in addition to a table and chairs were on the double patio. The safe was electronic and very spacious, large enough for a laptop and then some. An iPod docking station/clock radio was great for listening to our tunes and recharging the iPod. Plenty of closet space and hangers. Everyday the room was cleaned and restocked with towels. Housekeeping staff was always friendly and they work so hard. The mini bar was restocked daily as well. One day I left a note in Spanish asking for Presidentes and that is what was restocked daily. We only had turn down service one night, but that is not important to us. Three nights we came back to our room to find gourmet chocolate creations on our coffee table!! They were amazing!!

The food is hands down the best food we have ever had at any AI. The chicken and fish were all tender as was the beef. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Everyday around 4pm we went to the Coco Cafe to grab a coffee or tea and a pastry. The buffet was so good I would have been happy eating there morning, noon and night. Lovely young ladies seating guests and prompt courteous wait staff at all meals. We ate at all the ala carts except the Japanese/Chinese. All were very, very good. Excellent quality food, drinks and service. One night we went to El Patio and only had appetizers. As we were leaving the manager was concerned that we did not like the food. We told him it was the opposite, the food was wonderful but we were not that hungry. Too much great food and not enough time. We did have room service twice and it was very, very fast and very, very good.

Liquor was top shelf if you wanted it. Mixed well and served promptly. We even had drink service at the pool and the beach!!

The pool was very clean and well laid out. Every afternoon a young lady would go around the pool and pass out cookies. That was a really nice touch. Not enough shade areas at the pool area, though. If you want shade, you need to be there by 8 am. The beach has more shade and we did not have any problems finding chairs. The chair reserving game did not seem to be too much of a problem. I did not notice many reserved chairs not being used. What I did notice was people taking the pool floats to the beach or just keeping them by their lounge chairs. Not a problem for us because we bring our own floats. The "Sundial", the daily newsletter, always requested that floats be shared. Beach towels were never in short supply and always available, morning or afternoon.

I can not comment on the nightly shows, because we never went to any. We turned in by 10 and started our day by 7 am. We were there for the sun and sand, not the nightlife. I did enjoy the stretching and the aerobics on the beach.

I had a massage at the spa which was wonderful. We then had a couples massage on the beach and that was the best!!

The vendors came on site 3 nights but they were never a problem. My husband actually told one guy that we had been to the Dominican so many times and had so many souvenirs that we were thinking of bringing some back with us and selling them. The vendor just about busted a gut laughing at that one. One morning we did go outside the resort about 5 minutes walk down the road to a shopping area and bought some rum and coffee at a great price.

AppleVacations had a cocktail party one evening which was very nice. Got to chat with a few of the Apple reps. Nice folks. The managers cocktail party was the next night. That was really cool. They had delicious canapés and drinks and friendly dancers (they work so hard). Got to meet many of the managers and the head chef. They genuinely cared to hear our comments. We really only had positive comments, but they assured us that they are striving to improve the resort even more.

We are hoping to return in October because this has now become our favorite resort. Close to the airport and so easy to enjoy. Whenever we would say "thank you" to any of the staff, it was always replied with "My pleasure" and I believe they meant it!!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I can not recommend this resort enough. It is truly a Dream come true!

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

We just returned from Dreams Palm Beach yesterday (Feb. 20, 2009). Overall we were happy with our choice to stay here. It was nice to be so close to the airport. We arrived at the hotel at about 1030am. We were greeted with cool towels and a mimosa. Check is was not great. We were told our room would not be ready until 3:00, but others in the same group were told an hour. There were many people working check-in so the wait was not long, however our person did not speak English that well and we had trouble communicating. We were prepared for this since we were arriving early, but he gave us no direction. We checked out the pool and ran in to a housekeeping supervisor who told us they could have one of our rooms done in 20 minutes. We went to the desk an hour later and was told no, 3:00. Communication among staff needs some improvement. Our rooms were ready at 2:00. We booked a supersaver room. We were in building 2 on the third floor. No elevators, luckily our luggage was brought up. The rooms were nice, except the bathroom was not updated and due to the set-up, water does get everywhere when you take a shower. We were only given one key and told we could not get another key until the next day. There did seem to be some key issues. I thought the buffet was very good for breakfast and lunch. The grilled burgers and dogs on the beach for lunch were great. I thought the restaurant food was good overall. Some things were not so great, some were excellent, so overall good. We met Javier in the coffee shop. This young man should be promoted. His English was good, he was friendly and courteous. Some people at the front desk could take lessons from him. We loved the set-up of the hotel. Everything was conveniently located. Drinks were okay. Language barrier with some waitresses at the pool messed things up sometimes, but not a big deal. We did have an issue with booking a tour at the hotel dive shop. We would not recommend booking with them. They were late, and ran my sister around for 2 hours running there errands before they took them to their tour. We complained and nobody cared. We got a good deal on this hotel and it was worth it for us and what we were looking for. The pools were freezing everyday we were there, not many people swam in the pools even though they are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!