Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana is a very nice, compact resort about 20 minutes drive from the airport. It is a relatively small complex, perhaps a 5 minute walk from lobby to beach.
Our room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. The rooms are a little small - no couch, but a couple of chairs for sitting in. Nice balcony with two chairs and side-table. Rooms were kept clean by housekeeping staff. Rooms and furniture showing some sign of wear and tear.
Service was typically very good (some exceptions). For example, we ate at the French restaurant twice, the first time was some of the best service we had, the second time was the worst service we had (different waiter) and after being mostly ignored and long waits for food and service we left that meal without finishing. Bar service was friendly and courteous, but not memorable. Wait staff in the buffet, where we had breakfast and lunch was very good and friendly. Hostesses at all restaurants were very friendly and welcoming.
There are several a la carte restaurants and a good selection of food. Advance reservations were not available for the restaurants. You just showed up and requested a table. At times this resulted in table waits of up to an hour, other times we were able to get a table immediately (early at 6pm, or later after 8:30pm) - between 6:30pm and 8pm the waits could be long for most restaurants. Food quality was typically very good in the a la carte restaurants. Service was usually very good with staff making sure that we had a pleasant dining experience. Staff at the Mexican restaurant and sea-side grill were the most fun. Issues were at the French restaurant where the Mahi-mahi was overcooked, the chicken with pears had no pears and the service was terrible. The buffet was well stocked, the food good but the choices were quite limited. The lobby bar closed at mid-night and the only bar remaining open was in the disco where the throbbing music was so loud that you could barely carry on a shouting conversation. There was a beach grill where hamburgers, hot-dogs, fires and nachos were available most of the day.
The pool meanders down the centre of the property. You are never far from the pool, regardless of room location. Pool was clean and the pool area was well maintained and kept clean. Signs advise that people are not to leave towels on chairs to reserve them, and that they would be removed if left unattended for more than 15 minutes. However this was not enforced at all, and it was often difficult to find an unoccupied lounge chair near the pool, especially the section near the pool bar. Service in the pool area was very good with wait staff coming by regularly.
The beach was very nice, consisting of very fine white sand. Some issues with the constant pile-up of sea-weed, especially on windy days. Beach staff were regularly working to take away the sea-weed and it was a non-issue most days. However, there was also significant quantity of sea-weed floating on the water surface, which made swimming less pleasant for some. The beach was busy with vendors constantly trying to sell their wares or activities. The ocean was busy with boat traffic - primarily parasailing, but also other boat excursions - convenient if one was looking to do those activities and often entertaining to watch.
The resort produces a daily newsletter advising of the activity schedule for the day, both adult activities and children's activities. The evening entertainment was of low quality. Dominican content was almost non-existent other than a 30-minute presentation of Dominican dance one afternoon. Kayaks, windsurfers, and Hobie-Cat sailboats were available for use at the ocean and easy to book at no-charge. The resort had a small on-site casino and disco. The disco was suitable for the 18-30 age group.
Wrist bands were not required which was nice. Also, did not require towel deposit and could exchange towels at any time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the Caribbean Sea, white sand beach and lush gardens, Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana boasts 500 spacious rooms and ample suites surrounded by swaying palm trees and views of endless blue waters stretching to the horizon - the perfect setting in paradise. Take advantage of all the unlimited luxury activities Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana has to offer. Swim, sail, snorkel or windsurf in the turquoise Caribbean, enjoy fine a-la-cart dining, sip favorite cocktails at one of our bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Occidental Punta Cana
- Occidental Allegro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Occidental
- Sunscape Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach
- Punta Cana Allegro