“Simply the best resort for familys in PUNTA CANA!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Cabeza de Toro - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #22 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Babylon, New York
“Simply the best resort for familys in PUNTA CANA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

I have visited almost every propertyy in Punta Cana, La Romana and so on in the Dominican Republic and Dreams Palm Beach surpassed every one of them for a family resort. The food, the service the people are just simply great. Yes, you might pay a little more but it is well worth it. Free Room Service, no reservations for dinners at any of the 4 restaurants. The bathrooms could be a little roomier but the beds are very plush and comfortable.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Preferred Club.....WOW!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Let me start by saying that I have not reviewed a hotel or resort on TripAdvisor in the past although my wife and I have used the site numerous times before booking a trip. Often we find that many of the reviews we find on TripAdvisor are from people who love to complain about very minor issues. I don’t consider myself to be one of those whatsoever but…

My wife and I booked a last minute trip to Dreams Palm Beach Bavaro in Punta Cana. We booked the trip on a Friday and left on Monday morning. This is our third trip to Punta Cana and third different resort. The flight was great and shuttle transportation was great. We arrived at the resort shortly after 1:30pm and proceeded to the check-in area. We checked in but were told our room was still being cleaned. Not a problem whatsoever because check in time is not actually until 3pm anyways. The front desk person handed us a portable buzzer/pager and told us to come back when it buzzes. My wife and I walked around the grounds for about 25 minutes and then decided to stop in at the lobby bar and were welcomed by a friendly bartender by the name of Christian who proceeded to mix us what he called the “Christian Special”, a sort of tropical rum splashed drink. It was terrific. About five minutes we after we got to the bar our buzzer went off and we went back to the check in area. We checked in, got our key and room number and were then told to stop by and see our concierge, Julio.

Julio was a great guy who had just been working at Dreams for a few months. He was very helpful, friendly and smiley. After meeting with Julio we were taken to our room.

OK, before I get into the actual review portion of this review let me say that we fist attempted to make arrangements to stay at the same all-inclusive resort we stayed at two years ago which was the Iberostar Dominicana which is about 20 minutes further up the beach from Dreams Palm Beach. The Iberostar rate for the week was about $125 per person less than Dreams, but it was full so we decided to spend a little more because we had read such good reviews from people who had stayed at other Dreams Resorts in various locations around the world. The company we booked the trip through had Dreams Palm Beach about as high as they could have rated it. It was rated a 1 to 1 ½ steps high than the Iberostar. Our expectations were extremely, extremely high.

With that being said, we could tell by our initial walk through the resort upon arriving that there appeared to be a flaw in the rating system. The grounds were nice and clean and well groomed, but it was not what we expected from reading many reviews. Upon arriving at our room we found that our room was no better than the Iberostar. Don’t get me wrong, the room was nice and clean but again, the expectations…

The beach was very nice, nothing to really complain about. Beautiful water, nice sand, an abundance of palm trees and an abundance of chairs. I would like to say however is that the water did contain more weeds than the other resorts we had stayed at. A crew came by every morning to rake up the weeds that washed ashore. Also being spoiled by the past two places which are about a 20 minute drive further up the beach, we couldn’t or didn’t feel comfortable walking on this beach the distances we walked on the others. We could only walk about ½ mile in one direction. The other direction contained just one other resort next to us, then the rest of the beach was uninhabited and about ¾ miles up the beach there appeared to be a public beach with some trucks pulled within 100’ of the water. Probably would have been OK to walk past, but we decided not to. At the other beaches we could seemingly walk forever.

The pool was very nice, but plan to wake up early to mark your spot for the day. After missing out the first day and meeting some of the others at the pool I was told to wake up early, mark your chairs, then go back to bed for a while if you choose. That worked fine. I got to the pool shortly after 6am each morning and found many others awake and doing the same thing. It’s supposedly against resort rules to do so, but I can assure that it’s most likely the only way you can get some of the better spots. If you choose to go to the beach first, just make sure you keep your pool spots marked. It sounds like a petty thing to do and I don’t agree with it, but if you want the goods, you gotta play the game. It is at the pool where we met some of the neatest people Joe and his family from New Jersey were the best. We called them our adopted family for the week.

The food was very good. We ate at the buffet only at breakfast and/or lunch, but ate at the other five restaurants for dinner. The restaurants open at 6:30pm (no reservations) and only once were we given a pager because it was too full for accommodations. That was at the Japanese restaurant which was very good and a lot of fun. The buffet was good as well. It was better than the first resort we stayed at and slightly behind the Iberostar Dominicana. Again, no complaints, just speaking my mind.

The staff overall was terrific. They are very hard working good people who spend their entire waking moments at the resort first in the morning and afternoon at the pool or beach arranging activities. In early evening they show up cleaned up and ready to dance to some music during cocktail hour(s) between the lobby and the pools. They then put it all together and perform shows in the theater. Finally they show up at the disco/sports bar to dance once again.

Please, please, please tip the staff every once in a while. They work their rear ends off and really seem to appreciate a dollar or two every once in a while.

Some of the top employees in my mind were Simon (wait staff)), Candyman (entertainment crew), and Juan (the best bartender on the grounds who tends bar in the lobby lounge). Simon waited tables in the buffet in the morning, worked the beach during the day, and worked beach events and dinners in the evening. He is a very hard working man who called me his brother from another mother. Candyman was always around the pool and always involved in something. I loved to talk baseball with him. He always referred to me as Manny Acta because of an apparent resemblance and was always in a good mood (not fake, just a good person). Then there’s Juan who I will call the best bartender of any of the resorts we’ve stayed. He obviously loved his job and it showed.

The main thing to avoid is the sales pitch for a preferred vacation club. Unless you have $29,000 in your pocket to plunk down on vacations that will cover the next 20 years, it’s a huge waste of time and very annoying. It’s not a timeshare and they claim going in that it’s no pressure, but after 90 minutes they bring in the closer who promises the world and wants only a yes or no answer. He really doesn’t want to accept a no answer. It was the biggest waste of 90 minutes on our trip…shame on us for agreeing to it. The only positive is that some of the hotel workers got commissions if we sat through it so we looked at it as helping them.

Considering the fact that Dreams has a very good reputation, we were stunned how many times we were approached by people who wanted just a little of our time to show us something. We made that mistake just the one time. Once again, we never encountered any that at the Iberostar Dominicana. Shame on Dreams for allowing it.

Other thoughts…the pool bar was nice, but they definitely don’t have their best/friendliest bartender working right down at the pools edge. I would have thought they would have wanted someone to spice it up a little for them down there. The café was great…good coffee and desserts. Got the feeling that employees were expected to ask guests to write nice reviews of the resort.

Overall in speaking with others who had stayed in other Dreams in other locations, they were disappointed. Not that anything was that bad, it just didn’t live up to Dreams standards. I’ll say it one more time, our expectations were high and we expected luxury. We were disappointed by that. The Iberostar was the classier or the two resorts hands down.

With that being said we still had a great time as we always do, the resort just didn’t live up to expectations.

Room Tip: Bring $20,000 and join the preferred club
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

So there are positives and negatives at ANY hotel. I was so nervous chosing this hotel to get married at because I had never been here and we were traveling with a wide variety of ages (from 8-60!). Plus the reviews made me nervous. But, people need to realize there will be issues anywhere, no resort will be perfect. But if you dwell on those things, you will never be happy. Everyone loved the resort and my wedding was perfect!
Pros:
Staff- This resort is always lively! There is great entertainment every night and the entire staff is amazing! It was like they were are friends, and were always very nice and happy people. We actually went to a different hotel for our honeymoon and missed the upbeat and friendly staff @ Dreams Palm Beach. Alex was our VIP services rep and he was awesome and also from Texas. Everytime we saw him, he wanted to make sure everything was great for us.
Food- OK people...this is an all inclusive resort in a DIFFERENT country. So, the food will always be a little different. Also, stomaches tend to get upset because it is not used to that kind of food, not necessarily because the hotel is not sanitary. We went to the hibachi the first night and Garvel was our server, He was hilarious! We had so much fun and he really interacted with the 8 year old & 13 year old. There was TONS of food and it was pretty good! The Italian restaurant was awesome as well. The food was yummy and it was a nice atmosphere. The buffet was AMAZING for breakfast! There is TONS of food.
Hotel grounds- Very nice and clean. The pools were very pretty and big. Sure you have to get up early and put towels on the chairs, but we would nominate a different person each night from the people that were with us. No biggie. The beach had some sea weed, but they clean it daily. And it is huge compared to other resorts I have been.
Wedding- The wedding coordinator was great. Wehn she came to get me to walk down the aisle, I didn't even have my dress on. We were running so behind! She helped me get into my dress and was with me the whole way. The wedding was beautiful. We used HCD photography and they were great as well. So many of the pictures looked like they were out of a magazine.
Cons- There were really very little. The rooms are a little musty...but it is the Carribean people! They do provide insense. There will always be minor issues with hotel rooms...but if you call, they will come right away. One of my friends did have $130 stolen out of her room. BUT she didn't lock it in the safe becasue she heard they can get in the safe. So...just lock your stuff up. There are dishonest people everywhere.
Overall we had a great time! Everyone loved the resort and had fun. Some tips: bring sunblock (it is $20-30 in the gift shops), lock your stuff up, men bring jeans/slacks the restaurants do have dress codes. OH and tip! We always left a couple of dollars for the maid and a couple of dollars in the fridge...the room was always clean and stocked nicely! :)

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

From the moment we arrived and opened the room we knew the name should be Nightmare rather than Dreams. The damp/drain smell hit us as soon as the door was opened...and you can't say we were unlucky with our room as we had three rooms and every one was the same. Although the room on the ground floor was the worst as the smell of the toilets above filter down into the room.The rooms were rarely made up before 6pm at night, there was mold on the curtains and bedding, our shower became home to some friendly cockroaches (photos available) and the fridge was re-stocked randomly (and we paid for the Preferred Service). As for the pool, we never entered into it as the water looked so dirty! The food, well our children loved the unlimited burgers, chips and hotdogs. For us we suffered from stomach upsets for most of the holidays so didn't eat much. Generally, if the kids wrote this review they would say that it's a fantastic place as they got unlimited coke and hotdogs,however if you rate a holiday on more than the amount of free coke you can drink then you may be like us and be disappointed!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011 via mobile

We were upgraded to a suite as the hotel could not give us interconnecting rooms despite booking them with British airways before we left. The room was lovely but we had to argue with the manager for an hour before he gave it to us.
The beach was stunning although there was alot if debris in the water from time to time. The children loved the sea which was safe, warm and no current. The swimming pools were lovely too. Food excellent. Wonderful fruit and salads. Lovely fish. There is a great coffee shop that my kids loved where we could have iced chocolate drinks and great coffee. We loved little trips to this shop to cool down in the day.
The kids club looked well organised although we didn't use it. Tennis courts great but it was just too humid away from the sea breeze.
We really loved this holiday and would recommend to all

• Stayed August 2010
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This is my husband and I's 9th all-inclusive trip (mostly to 5 stars) and I'm sorry to say, it was our worst stay. The pictures on their website must be for the preferred suites because they look NOTHING like the regular rooms there! Our room (Building 8) was very run down (grout falling out of the shower tiles, toilet paper holder broken, cracked tiles, dirty crusted mirror, thin and clumpy duvet and poor workmanship). Our room condition was a huge disappointment and we immediately asked to be moved. They offered us an upgrade for $150/night! They dropped the price to $100/night but said that's all they could do. I wasn't even asking for an upgrade in particular, but they told me that our room was like all the others unless I wanted to upgrade. Not a good start to our holidays! Please let me tell you that we are NOT fluffy, high-falutin' people! Just working parents that wanted to enjoy a week away from our children to spend some time together in a nice 5 star resort. We did meet some people that stayed in the Club Suites and they said they were beautiful - may be worth the upgrade at time of booking if room condition is important to you?? Also met a couple that stayed in the honeymoon suite near our building and it was a decent room - seemed to have been renovated and updated compared to ours.

I'll sum up the rest of the trip: food at the buffet is only mediocre, but food and service in all the a la cartes was awesome! Pool bar service is TERRIBLE!! No smiles, no personality - whether tip was given or not. Also - no music and very little activities around the pool during the day......quite disappointing. Great waitress service around the pool and beach (don't be fooled by their website - premium alcohol is not served at the pool or beach during the day!). Beach area and ocean are beautiful, nightly entertainment shows were typical of an all inclusive resort. Casino and nightclub were a disappointment - casino was very small and you had to make your own party at the nightclub!

I think this resort would suit a family with young children (we have a 4 and 6 yr old) - it's quieter, had a decent kids' pool, and a decent dedicated kids' food section at the buffet. Not well suited to 40 yr olds looking for a bit of nightlife/socialization and a decent all-around resort.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade to the Preferred Club!
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at this resort with some friends and we all had a fabulous time and would highly recommend this resort. We had no issues with checking in and loved our rooms, except for there not being much privacy in the bathroom. The beach and pools were beautiful and we especially loved the swim up bar with great service and drinks! I especially loved the entertainment team (Joshua, Julio, Gasolina, & Candyman!) who were always so friendly and enjoyed the shows that were put on each night. We also had fun hanging out in the main lobby in the evenings and going to the night club, so always plenty to do and we were never bored in the 7 days that we stayed there. The restaurants had a great atmosphere, most of the food was very good, and the staff were very friendly. This was the 2nd all-inclusive resort that I've stayed at and the Dreams Palm Beach far exceeded expectations than the previous resort.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!