“alan and hilary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“alan and hilary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

well let me start by saying we stayed at this hotel four years ago and decided to go back to see what had changed ?
firstly it had been refurbished to a very high standard bedrooms delightful and comfortable, maid service first class but please remember to tip the maids it helps ?.
food wise it was ok with plenty of choices and the three themed restaurants were easy to book
waiter service in bars/beach/pool were easy to get a drink you only had to wait a few minutes.
entertainment staff were excellent especially Janet Jackson plenty to do during the day if you wanted to get involved.
good move to make this couples only you meet people really easy .
would we go back deffinately YES
would we recommend this holiday resort YES
alan Hilary peterborough

Room Tip: e.mail hotel and ask what is available ie pool view they will accomadate you higher floor have high...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

1,964 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are lots of positives at this hotel which is why I can understand so many people giving it 5 stars, but for me it lacked in a few simple areas that made all the difference.

Firstly the positives.

1) The staff are fantastic throughout. Very helpful and little touches like waiter service on the beach are a bonus. All of the staff work hard, are pleasant and I could not fault them in any way! Special mention of Danny the evening bar man in the lobby. Carlsberg don't do bar men, but if they did it would be Danny. A little tip goes a long way with these guys, but they certainly don't expect it, which is refreshing.
2) Although I've seen a few negative comments regarding the food, this is one of the best all inclusive hotels I've visited for buffet choice and quality. It was so good we didn't bother with any of the restaurants, all of which set two sittings of 6pm or 9pm and we didn't hear any great reviews about any of them. Furthermore, wearing long pants in such high heat and humidity was far from appealing.
3) The beach is stunning, and made even nicer at the Macau because it's set back, providing a huge palm tree filled area before you reach the main section of beach.
Everywhere is spotlessly clean and modern as the hotel has recently been renovated. However, updating the bedroom furniture has been overlooked somewhat as it's old and shabby.
4) Room service is included, and even though the menu is very small, you can get snacks outside of main meal times.
5) Check in and checkout are swift and no nonsense.
6) good selection of t.v channels in multiple languages
7) As the World Cup was showing they set up a big screen in the auditorium and gave everyone constant waiter service in there.

The negatives
1) possibly the worst tap beer I've ever tasted in my life. There is no excuse for this because I've stayed in 4 other Dominican hotels which all served Presidente on tap, so this has to be an in-house problem. The cocktails and spirits / liquor were all fine.
2) Although an adult only hotel there is no escape from the poolside noise. The main pool is occupied by the entertainment staff who are completely annoying with their twice daily dance, water aerobics, daft games and loud music. The swim-up-pool-bar / waist-high-piss-party is directly next to the main pool, and mainly full of hammered People with their flasks of cocktails. All good, but any adult only hotel needs a chill out pool were you can just relax without endless noise. There is more than enough room between the excising pools and beach to build a quiet relaxed pool were you can just relax in peace for a while.
3) The pools were more like a hot tub than somewhere to cool off. The pool heating either needs to be turned off or significantly turned down during the hottest months of the year. The sea was far cooler and the only place to cool down a little unless you stood under the poolside shower or returned to the room.
4) there are 5 Riu hotels next to each other and not a single decent gym between them. The Macao has no gym on site. There is the poorest excuse of a sweat loft with aged and broken equipment in the Caribbean street next door, and a plush fitness room with zero resistance equipment in the next Riu on from the Caribbean street. Considering the size of the complex of 5 hotels, why there isn't a central quality modern gym is beyond me. Most people who workout at home also want to do this whilst on holiday, or at least have the option. If your a runner then your fine, but for the rest of us you need to go to the local gym about 10 minutes away and pay.

Overall this is a nice hotel, but the negatives mean I wouldn't return, or honestly recommend the Macao to friends. However, lots of people do love it and return year on year.

Sunrise, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed here from June 15 to 19. While the place is beautiful, great food, nice rooms, very nice pool/beach, our vacation was marred by a reception agent named Raphael.

I was informed that reservations for the specialty restaurants had to be made in advance, and I called the hotel a week ahead and was told I couldn't do that and all would be explained at check in.

Raphael checked us in, and I asked about a reservation for that night and he said nothing was available for 6:30, only for the 9:00 time. Way too late for us. So he said we had to have the buffet, but he would make the reservations for the next 3 nights at the specialty restaurants for us. He even wrote them down for us. Well, he never made any reservations, he lied about that, as the next morning I checked and was told he did not have the authority to make them, I had to go make them myself at a special desk. They had no record of any reservations, so lucky I checked or we would have had nothing.

He must have been annoyed, because we booked a room away from the pool where it is very quiet, and we informed him that we wanted a quiet area. He suddenly "upgraded" us to a room overlooking the pool, where loud blasting music goes on until well after midnight. We had a huge lack of sleep, and should have changed the room, but we didn't know it went on every night.

And I mean real loud blasting music. We contacted the manager after the 3rd night and he offered to move us, but it was too much effort for one night, so we put up with it and couldn't wait to get out of there. In short, our vacation was ruined by this man Raphael. Nice place, but we will never go back because of this experience.

What was never told to us was that the procedure is you have to go to a special desk from 7-10 every morning for the reservations, and Raphael never told us that, he just lied and said he made them. A real professional!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, make sure you don't face the pool area
Avondale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here when I went to the DR for the first time and I have to say it was an ok experience. It is not for young adults who are looking for more to do. The pool bars and most of the activities if any close around 5 or 6 pm. My ocean view room was right above the main entertainment area and lobby bar and when I did have to head to bed a little earlier it was hard to sleep with the loud music they had playing which they do once a week I believe as their entertainment and you can dance down there if you'd like. Nothing special. Food wasn't either. I'll choose to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had our honeymmon here and to be honest I can not find any real fault. The service was second to none and from the moment we arrived we were treated like kings and queens. The staff were professional and curtius. My glass was never empty.
The food was out of this world, lots of different meats and fish to chose from and a wide range of salads and vegtables to chose from.
The deserts were also outstanding.
The rooms were cleanned on a daily basis and clean towles were also daily changed.
I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone. Great honeymoon. thanks you

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got back from a 10 night stay with my husband . First time I've done all inclusive. Think I've just been spoilt!!!! Suitable for all ages although we do have kids it was nice to be in a hotel adults only. The hotel is very clean and all the staff are very polite and do not make you feel unwelcome which I have experienced in Spain. The buffet restaurant is exceptional although we only tried the Japanese it was ok but put us off the others the buffet was enough. We went with thomson who where helpful and always on hand. We took the trip to Samoa Island which was well worth it however the food was poor. The entertainment is about the same as butlins However that aside the hotel on a whole is very much worth a visit

Lake Luzerne, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I got married to the man of my dreams on 5/31/14. Our friends had gone to the Riu last year and suggested that we all go together on a group trip for our honeymoon. We traveled as a group of 12 people. My husband and I had high hopes because of all the good things our friends had told us. The Riu has exceeded all our expectations. The food, service and staff were excellent. Room service was included and was quick. The hotel was very clean and had many activities that were free, such as sailing and kayaking. Every day in the pool, the employees would start the day with aerobics and would include the guests in activities. Because of this, our group met and became friends with many of the other guests. The shows at the Riu were better than the shows I have seen in Vegas. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to eat, drink and play for one all inclusive price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!