“First and last time at this property” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #29 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Sunrise, Florida
“First and last time at this property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed here from June 15 to 19. While the place is beautiful, great food, nice rooms, very nice pool/beach, our vacation was marred by a reception agent named Raphael.

I was informed that reservations for the specialty restaurants had to be made in advance, and I called the hotel a week ahead and was told I couldn't do that and all would be explained at check in.

Raphael checked us in, and I asked about a reservation for that night and he said nothing was available for 6:30, only for the 9:00 time. Way too late for us. So he said we had to have the buffet, but he would make the reservations for the next 3 nights at the specialty restaurants for us. He even wrote them down for us. Well, he never made any reservations, he lied about that, as the next morning I checked and was told he did not have the authority to make them, I had to go make them myself at a special desk. They had no record of any reservations, so lucky I checked or we would have had nothing.

He must have been annoyed, because we booked a room away from the pool where it is very quiet, and we informed him that we wanted a quiet area. He suddenly "upgraded" us to a room overlooking the pool, where loud blasting music goes on until well after midnight. We had a huge lack of sleep, and should have changed the room, but we didn't know it went on every night.

And I mean real loud blasting music. We contacted the manager after the 3rd night and he offered to move us, but it was too much effort for one night, so we put up with it and couldn't wait to get out of there. In short, our vacation was ruined by this man Raphael. Nice place, but we will never go back because of this experience.

What was never told to us was that the procedure is you have to go to a special desk from 7-10 every morning for the reservations, and Raphael never told us that, he just lied and said he made them. A real professional!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, make sure you don't face the pool area

2,025 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Avondale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here when I went to the DR for the first time and I have to say it was an ok experience. It is not for young adults who are looking for more to do. The pool bars and most of the activities if any close around 5 or 6 pm. My ocean view room was right above the main entertainment area and lobby bar and when I did have to head to bed a little earlier it was hard to sleep with the loud music they had playing which they do once a week I believe as their entertainment and you can dance down there if you'd like. Nothing special. Food wasn't either. I'll choose to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We had our honeymmon here and to be honest I can not find any real fault. The service was second to none and from the moment we arrived we were treated like kings and queens. The staff were professional and curtius. My glass was never empty.
The food was out of this world, lots of different meats and fish to chose from and a wide range of salads and vegtables to chose from.
The deserts were also outstanding.
The rooms were cleanned on a daily basis and clean towles were also daily changed.
I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone. Great honeymoon. thanks you

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got back from a 10 night stay with my husband . First time I've done all inclusive. Think I've just been spoilt!!!! Suitable for all ages although we do have kids it was nice to be in a hotel adults only. The hotel is very clean and all the staff are very polite and do not make you feel unwelcome which I have experienced in Spain. The buffet restaurant is exceptional although we only tried the Japanese it was ok but put us off the others the buffet was enough. We went with thomson who where helpful and always on hand. We took the trip to Samoa Island which was well worth it however the food was poor. The entertainment is about the same as butlins However that aside the hotel on a whole is very much worth a visit

Lake Luzerne, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I got married to the man of my dreams on 5/31/14. Our friends had gone to the Riu last year and suggested that we all go together on a group trip for our honeymoon. We traveled as a group of 12 people. My husband and I had high hopes because of all the good things our friends had told us. The Riu has exceeded all our expectations. The food, service and staff were excellent. Room service was included and was quick. The hotel was very clean and had many activities that were free, such as sailing and kayaking. Every day in the pool, the employees would start the day with aerobics and would include the guests in activities. Because of this, our group met and became friends with many of the other guests. The shows at the Riu were better than the shows I have seen in Vegas. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to eat, drink and play for one all inclusive price.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've just returned from an amazing 10 night Thomson honeymoon in this beautiful paradise! It was brilliant from start to finish! On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staff who spoke excellent English, with a fruit punch for everyone. All the required information including a hotel map (which really came in handy) was handed to us and while we were inspecting our gorgeously decorated honeymoon room, our bags were delivered. The bed had been made beautifully with petals, Such a lovely touch...although we do wish we would have booked a suite room as the view wasn't very good, we overlooked some trees in room 3318. The room had a fully stocked fridge with Pepsi (Thankfully, I prefer this!), mini bar, toiletries and coffee machine. We ate in some of the Al La Carte restaurants, our favourite being The Steak House. The steak was so yummy! Although we preferred to eat at the main buffet restaurant, it had excellent choice and had themed nights. The desserts were sometimes the same, but that was fine. Breakfast was the best, we ate pancakes and croissants, plus you can request the chef to make omelettes, so much choice. We always sat on the first two seats in the restaurant and our waiter was lovely. He travelled 8 hours to work and always had a massive smile on his face. The hotel overall is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in and the maids were friendly and attentive. We tried every single mouthwatering cocktail and most days were drinking strawberry daiquiri's by 10am! We loved the local Mamajuana, such a distinct taste and totally addictive! The pools were always very clean and there were plenty of sun loungers. We did a Thomson excursion to Saona because they advertised white linen sands but I preferred our hotel beach, it was outstanding! Our only issue was with some very loud Americans on our last night, but even this did not taint the holiday at all. I think that they honestly don't know how loud they are sometimes, so as long as you pack some ear plugs just in case, this would be the perfect 5 star paradise honeymoon destination!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor in room 3318 and it was a lovely room although not the best view.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and myself had a great stay here between 28/5 and 7/6 from the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly polite staff who made us feel very welcome , our room was of a good standard with a comfortable bed the room was cleaned every day , at meal times we used the buffet service which gave plenty of choice and all cooked to a good standard ,it was my birthday while we were there and the staff trimmed our room up with balloons and made displays with towels and flower petals it was lovely . over all we could not fault this holiday the staff work hard making sure you get good service be it in the restaurant , bar, round the pool or room service .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!