“BEST VACATION EVER” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lake Luzerne, New York
“BEST VACATION EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I got married to the man of my dreams on 5/31/14. Our friends had gone to the Riu last year and suggested that we all go together on a group trip for our honeymoon. We traveled as a group of 12 people. My husband and I had high hopes because of all the good things our friends had told us. The Riu has exceeded all our expectations. The food, service and staff were excellent. Room service was included and was quick. The hotel was very clean and had many activities that were free, such as sailing and kayaking. Every day in the pool, the employees would start the day with aerobics and would include the guests in activities. Because of this, our group met and became friends with many of the other guests. The shows at the Riu were better than the shows I have seen in Vegas. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to eat, drink and play for one all inclusive price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've just returned from an amazing 10 night Thomson honeymoon in this beautiful paradise! It was brilliant from start to finish! On arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staff who spoke excellent English, with a fruit punch for everyone. All the required information including a hotel map (which really came in handy) was handed to us and while we were inspecting our gorgeously decorated honeymoon room, our bags were delivered. The bed had been made beautifully with petals, Such a lovely touch...although we do wish we would have booked a suite room as the view wasn't very good, we overlooked some trees in room 3318. The room had a fully stocked fridge with Pepsi (Thankfully, I prefer this!), mini bar, toiletries and coffee machine. We ate in some of the Al La Carte restaurants, our favourite being The Steak House. The steak was so yummy! Although we preferred to eat at the main buffet restaurant, it had excellent choice and had themed nights. The desserts were sometimes the same, but that was fine. Breakfast was the best, we ate pancakes and croissants, plus you can request the chef to make omelettes, so much choice. We always sat on the first two seats in the restaurant and our waiter was lovely. He travelled 8 hours to work and always had a massive smile on his face. The hotel overall is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in and the maids were friendly and attentive. We tried every single mouthwatering cocktail and most days were drinking strawberry daiquiri's by 10am! We loved the local Mamajuana, such a distinct taste and totally addictive! The pools were always very clean and there were plenty of sun loungers. We did a Thomson excursion to Saona because they advertised white linen sands but I preferred our hotel beach, it was outstanding! Our only issue was with some very loud Americans on our last night, but even this did not taint the holiday at all. I think that they honestly don't know how loud they are sometimes, so as long as you pack some ear plugs just in case, this would be the perfect 5 star paradise honeymoon destination!

Room Tip: we stayed on the 3rd floor in room 3318 and it was a lovely room although not the best view.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and myself had a great stay here between 28/5 and 7/6 from the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly polite staff who made us feel very welcome , our room was of a good standard with a comfortable bed the room was cleaned every day , at meal times we used the buffet service which gave plenty of choice and all cooked to a good standard ,it was my birthday while we were there and the staff trimmed our room up with balloons and made displays with towels and flower petals it was lovely . over all we could not fault this holiday the staff work hard making sure you get good service be it in the restaurant , bar, round the pool or room service .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LTNJET
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just returned from a very good weeks stay at the Riu Palace Macao. Check in was handled quite quickly considering the large number of us doing so, we were almost last to get our keys and set off in the direction of our room. I had emailed in advance to ask for a high floor room on the front of the hotel so was a little surprised when we found ourselves on the ground floor at the back of the hotel and facing the kitchens/dustbins. A swift return to Reception followed and were asked to be moved as the room allocated had little natural light and the view was not acceptable. We were told that nothing could be done for that night but we would be moved the next day for definite, this accepted we resolved to stay in room 3099 that night. As soon as we returned to the room I received a call advising a sea view room had been found and would we move straight away to it ? This we did and the difference was amazing, a high floor and an ocean view!Our grateful thanks to Widy who handled our problem.
Apart from our initial problem we could not have been more pleased with the hotel. The location, beach, food and the amazing staff made this a memorable holiday. The 'Steakhouse' restaurant is a very good alternative to the main buffet restaurant, but even here you will be spoilt for choice of food on offer.
The pool area gets quite busy but there are always plenty of sun beds available here and on the beach. It is a shame that the 'habit of reserving sunbeds' has found its way to this Caribbean island.
All in all an excellent property with good facilities for all, young and older.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 3099 !
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having just returned from this beautiful country and this equally beautiful hotel our holiday was amazing! We travelled for 10 nights with Thomson (the Caribbean Cruise is most definitely a recommendable excursion whilst out there!!)

The staff literally made our holiday, they were soo helpful and always so welcoming considering how much they truly work hard, me and my boyfriend most definitely take our hats off to them!
The food was absolutely lush, my boyfriend is a very picky eater but always managed to bring back a plate full to our table. DEFINITELY book into the steakhouse and also for the younger couples, make sure the male has a pair of LONG TROUSERS packed, you will not be allowed to eat in the specialised restaurants without them (main buffet smart shorts are fine.)
The staff do not beg for tips as we was worried after reading other reviews before coming. Although out of kindness and appreciation we did leave the serving staff a tip at the very end of our holiday.

Incredible free WIFI everywhere on the resort and yes that does include the beach!

Our room was gorgeous and so spacious, the bed amazingly comfy and we used the safe all the time (not that we didn't trust the staff, just peace of mind knowing your valuables were safe.)

We never once had a problem getting our sun beds (whether shade/sun) although the comfy beds were saved on a morning so be an early bird if you want one of those! The beach was our place to soak up the sun as you always have the sea breeze as we found it was more bearable for us to sit there and tan. Plenty of beds and plenty of palm trees for the shade.

All in all, we will definitely return in a few more years as this hotel really made us have an unforgettable time in the Dominican Republic. Also a definite recommend for our family and friends, only couples though! *****

Room Tip: I believe our room was 2087, lovely view, quiet and no stairs (still had a balcony)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for a week in April to celebrate my partner's 30th birthday. I cannot fault it. From the smooth arrival with cocktails, to the food, facilities and entertainment. The food was delicious with lots of choice. The pool and beach area were great too and the grounds were very well maintained. For me, the staff were the highlight. The Dominican people are extremely friendly and provide excellent service. On my partners birthday, the maids decorated the room with balloons etc which was a lovely surprise. We went with Thomson and would recommend the Caribbean cruising excursion. Paradise. I have recommended the hotel to my friends and family.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

we have spent a wonderful time at this hotel. We got married on may 7th, the hotel gave us the jacuzzi suite, ocean front.....wow what a room (3377), the staff was amazing, the service also, the food was better at the buffet (this is a first for me) usually, the a la carte restaurants are better than the buffet but not this hotel, the food was good and for all taste. if you wanna have a little more fun, during the day go on the bamboo side because on the macao side there is no music at the beach. the beach is beautiful and overall we had a great time. Now for the wedding, DO NOT make business with Mayelina contreras....she just wants your money and does not care for your wedding. My friends took car of the decoration of the table for our dinner because otherwise, I would not have had much. maybe if it did not rain that day, all would have been ok, but her plan B was not at all what she said it would be. First, she made my guest walk for ten minutes to get to the other resort where my wedding occured....in the rain.....and then she made me walk back after the ceremony because the taxi was included for me only on the way there but not to come back....by chance I had money on me so I could take a cab but this is not how you want to start your wedding day....overall, the photographers saved the day because they were awesome (antillana the photographia), I will post a review on them, they are great. I had the dinner at the steakhouse and it was really good, the cake was amazing, the best cake ever, it was so big that I gave a piece to all the staff there.
so, the hotel is perfect but not the wedding coordinator, I would not keep her on my staff, really poor service for what it cost.

Room Tip: jacuzzi suite.....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!