Overall this is an excellent hotel. There is however a couple of things which would make us reconsider a second visit.
It is a relatively short trip from the airport to the hotel on probably the best road I've seen in the country.
There were quite a few people for checking in at the hotel and although their methods were strange it worked well and none of us waited for too long.
We had a first floor room at the front of the hotel above the dining room and overlooking the pool and beach. The room was pretty standard and modern. However it had no bath and this isn't what my partner likes.
The television had lots of American channels in English and the fridge was full of beer and soft drinks. The drinks dispenser contained Brugal rum, a Spanish brandy, Russian vodka and Gordon's gin. The drinks were replaced every second day and I had no problem asking for more.
I particularly liked the food on offer in the main buffet. I always felt there was something there I liked and the quality was excellent. We only visited the Italian restaurant and really enjoyed it. Friends who were there visited them all and were impressed with each one.
The service from the waiting staff was as good as we have seen anywhere. We really liked the small Cappuchino snack bar which was very popular in the afternoon with the pre packed sandwiches and fruit. Lots of guests took these to their rooms. My partner loved the iced coffee there.
The two biggest drawbacks for us was there were too few sunbeds around the pool. If you weren't up before 8am there were no beds left! Many guests left towels on beds all morning while they went to the beach and returned mid afternoon. There was no management of the beds by staff in any way. This was disappointing for us who spend most of our day beside the pool.
The other negative was that we enjoyed sitting in the open air bar near reception but this was the smoking area and it seemed like most of the guests smoked!
There are five RIU hotels together in this complex and you can visit each one. We did walk around them but think the Macao was the best. We really enjoyed walking along the path at the front of the hotels parallel to the beach.
If you smoke and like the beach instead of the pool this is the place for you.
I have a copy of the hotel all inclusive details for anyone who wants to email me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana