“one of the best holidays ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Macao

You added Hotel Riu Palace Macao to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
lanc's
“one of the best holidays ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

we just got back from 3 weeks at the Riu Macao and let me start by saying the riu macao is one of the best 5* rated hotels in the Caribbean,
the food was what we expected from a riu in the carribbean although it was better than some other 5* hotels we have stayed in.
No one we talked to in the 3 weeks we where there had any tummy complaints and my wife would be the first to get sick if there was any thing wrong with the food.
change your money before you go as the hotel rates are a lot lower than the banks (hotel 52 to the pound bank 64 to the pound)
I would take dollars if I new what I know now as every thing is priced in us dollars,
the animation team work very hard to keep you entertained with games like French bowls and archery etc can't do enough for you.
the waiter's are there when you have finished your drinks and don't hold there hands out for tips like at some hotels we have stayed in.
if you like a drink of tea I would take your own tea bags as the ones in the hotel or a bit week.
the coffee shop is a nice touch with lot of choice of coffee /cakes and sandwiches all day.
we did go to all alacate restaurants but found the buffet to be the best with lots of choice .
if you are celebrating a special occasion and let the hotel no they make your room up which they did for my wife's 40th birthday and let the restaurant no to and they will also make your table up to
pools were nice plenty of sun loungers and double loungers in the pool and beach was lovely with a nice breeze no need to get up at daft a clock as there are plenty.
rooms are large and clean with super kingsize bed and this was not an upgrade with a big walk in shower (no bath) take shampoo has there is only conditioner and shower gel.
mick and donna if you read this review please get in touch has we lost your email. 733145.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Polish first
Highlands, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This all inclusive resort was the best! Beautiful, clean, super friendly staff, large food selection. Loved every second of my trip! Pool and swim up bar was great, and so was the beach. Excellent entertainment each night. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Rockingham, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I went for our 30th Anniversary. It was awesome! The food was plentiful, it was nice to go to a place all inclusive and not have to go anywhere.

The staff for the most part were great, a few not so outgoing, but very hard working. The wait staff work from 8am - 4pm with a couple hours off and need to be back for evening 8pm until 2am. We were told tipping wasn't expected but much appreciated, and it was. But I found the staff just as friendly to those who didn't tip. The exchange rate at the time of our visit was 46 pesos to the dollar so even a dollar was appreciated.

Adult resort so no children, that was a plus. The room was excellent however even with a "Do not disturb" they did come in. It's my understanding The Riu was recently renovated in 2012 and nicely done. The pool isn't overly large, but with the warm ocean there was plenty of room to take a dip. With the hot temperatures I was surprised there wasn't some way to offer shade on the beach.

The entertainment team was very friendly and got people involved. You could always count on a happy greeting from them. The food staff in the main eating area were awesome and always friendly. Bermudez serving in the lounge and at the pool, always had a smile and a greeting for everyone. I hated to go home and would definitely go again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

It was our honeymoon, and our first stay in the Dominican and first stay at a Rui hotel.

We overall enjoyed the holiday, but I think I few things need to be brought to the attention of the management and perspective holiday makers like yourselves.

If you have stayed at a 5* resort before than you will immediately be left underwhelmed. the bed sheets in the room are changed every 2-3 days, not everyday.
theres is a lovely huge showers and double sink, but no bath tub.
the pool area is small but works nicely, although if smoking bothers you this is not the place for you. even throughout meals and in the lobby bar area you cant avoid the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke.

Beach is beautiful and couldn't fault it, and the staff where very helpful and attentive. there seemed to be a slight difference in how American guests were treated, to how europeans were which we felt a little bit like we were second rate citizens.

The drinks were all "local" brands which did the job, but no malibu or local alternative which was weird. beer was ok but after 4/5 was hard to drink.

lasr year we stayed at the thomson sensatori resort in Mexico, which was outstanding. no comparison really, sensotori wins hands down.

this is still a good resort and we had a good time, just wasn't the standard we expected, definitely 3/4 not 5*

• Stayed October 2013
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I picked this "resort" for an extended family vacation. I can't imagine a more disappointing destination ever. What a mistake. The food was awful. And you're stuck with it. The restaurants are not to the standards of US travelers. There were items missing from my room. The staff simply did not care. In fact when I went to report this the staff listened for a moment and then resumed conversing with other workers....As I stood there. Overall the staff seemed insincere. The room smelled. I walked in while my room was being cleaned and watched as the linens were being smoothed down by the same person whom I had just watched clean the bathroom...without hand washing!!! The beach was crowded. Rock hard mattresses. I could go on and on suffice to say "Pick another place if you don't want to waste your hard earned money on a truly awful experience".....I am from the New England USA...I like to think we are a hardy bunch....but I felt like I disappointed my whole family. As I read all these "excellent" reviews, some of which I based my choice on, I question their authenticity.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there are any good rooms. If cleanliness and safety are important to you.