“Adults only , first time, what a great experience had great time” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $2000 Resort Credit
Ranked #30 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Adults only , first time, what a great experience had great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Would recommend for 4star adult only . Peace and quiet great beach, some improvements needed , still had a great time , met load of nice people from around the world.service was good, definitely adult only for me next time, we enjoyed the experience.

2,003 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My new husband and i stayed at the RIU Palace Maco for our honeymoon from 7-15 through 7-21-2013. We went for our honeymoon. As the resort was very nice and clean as well as plenty of space there are a few complaints. The rooms were nice, but the bed was like sleeping on a pile of bricks, absolutely terrible, we would have been better off sleeping on the sand. If you are young like us (25) i dont reccommend staying here, we were lucky enough to meet some younger people but the alcohol is not top shelf, they only have one kind of beer Presidente which is terrible, and NO NIGHTLIFE unless you want to pay for the "Disco".

The Food was okay at first, until both of us got sick, and still havent recovered we are going on day 4 of being sick.

Service was great, the staff was friendly and the grounds were clean.

I probably will never return to this resort again, but if you are an older couple with STRONG STOMACHS for food then this might be the place for you. But definately not for a younger couple.

Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for a girls' getwaway in July 2013. The grounds were gorgeous and well maintained, the beach was beautiful, and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. This was my first trip to Dominican Republic and would highly recommend for a fun and gorgeous beach trip!

Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I chose to go to this hotel for our first holiday away together, and it was absolutely brilliant! Every single aspect of the hotel was a lot higher than what I expected. The rooms were cleaned at least twice a day, to immaculate standards. There was someone who came round every day with a trolley to fill up your mini fridge if it was running low, or even if you just wanted something extra to go in it. The reception staff were polite and helpful, and gave us a room upgrade with it being 3 years of us being together so that we had a sea view which was lovely!

The staff in the restaurants and buffets were very attentive and cleared plates almost immediately after it being set aside to be moved. They were always refilling drinks when they were running low, which was great as I never had to sit around waiting to try and catch someone to get me another one. The chefs were friendly and very helpful with me being a fussy eater, and were always asking how the day had been, and what had we been up to. This is a nice touch. The "Voltare" Italian restaurant is lovely, but unfortunately with my food choices being so limited I couldn't experience any of the other a la carte restaurants. The buffet had different food each night, which I thought was good because I didn't get bored of the food at all!

The pool bar is nothing like you'd expect it to be. It was actually quite quiet with not too many people in it so that you'd feel cramped, there was definitely enough space for everyone. The staff at the bar were very good, even though they had a little choice of drinks. I stuck to wine and lemonade, but my boyfriend had difficulty trying to get a decent mojito, which is literally the only "bad thing" I can say about the holiday, which it isn't even bad!

One of the Thomson reps, Monica, was polite and helpful and we went on two trips sold to us by herself. We went on the Caribbean Cruising trip which was excellent. We had to set off quite early in the morning as it was a full day trip, and then we got onto a boat and went out into the Caribbean Sea. This took us to a place where we could snorkel for about an hour, before taking us onto a natural pool further round the sea. That was fantastic! We were really far out, but the water was still below our waists. There were starfish and other tropical fish here, which were nice to see. After about an hour in the natural pool, we went onto Paradise Island, a secluded beach just for Thomson excursions. We spent about three hours here lying in hammocks, having our lunch, going into the beautiful crystal blue water. It was amazing! Then we got sailed back on a Catamaran! Definitely a trip to do when over there!

We also went on an Ocean Spa day, which wasn't as good considering it was only half a day, but only $10 cheaper. It started with a massage table which pushed massage rollers up and down your back, followed by a massage from a masseuse, half an hour of yoga, floating on a mattress attached to the boat and a detox treatment said to clear all the toxins from your body by pulsing ions round to go into the water. I was in quite a lot of pain after this trip as I do not think the massage I had was very good for me. I was unable to move my back properly as it kept locking up, and my neck was incredibly sore! But other than that, it was a great day. It would be better to have a full day for this trip though, as each "treatment" only lasted 15 minutes each.

On our last night in the hotel, we had a note slipped under the door saying that due to a hurricane warning our flight was to be delayed for two days. However, we had to be moved to another hotel, clubhotel riu bambu next door. The note was pushed through at half seven at night, at which point both of the Thomson reps had gone home so we were left with no-one to talk to. We found out the next morning, there were 34 of us in this situation as we gathered in the lobby to speak to the reps about the timing of it and how we were disappointed that they were not there to talk to in a crisis situation. As I said, one of the Thomson reps was very helpful. The other one, Franklin, was far from helpful, polite or useful! He admitted himself that he was "useless" at his job. He was very arrogant and aggressive in his manner of speaking and refused to listen to any reasoning.

I would definitely go back to this hotel, and I am even looking to go back next year (I've only been home a week!!) I can't wait to get back to this heavenly bliss!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are by far the best, otherwise there is just a view of the other hotels to the side...
Grand Prairie, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Palace Macao from 7/3/13 thru 7/10/13. This resort was more than I expected.

Staff - First and foremost the staff was outstanding, starting the Alba, who checked us in. She was very nice and informative. I knew then that this was going to be a great vacation.The house staff did an excellent job. They came by twice a day and always asked if I needed anything if I saw them. The food staff was great and a big thanls to Juan Pablo, Tania, Juana, Virginio, and all who's name I can't remember but worked during the time frame given were great. The cooks explained the food I was not sure of and the beach staff always came to see if I needed a drink.

Beach- This is a gorgeous beach with hundreds of tall palm trees. Coconuts are free, just tip the guys who climb the trees and get them. There is no shortage of beach chairs.The sand is powder soft, which make for nice walks. You can actually walk miles on this beach. The water is a little wavy, but still enjoyable.

Rooms - The rooms are all white, as is the resort. They are very clean, furniture is up to date , the mini bar is not so mini - full bottles of rum, vodka, gin. The only downside was the room view faced the back of the shops on Caribbean street, but it was no big deal. I can't think of anything that was wrong or missing. This is where I will stay the next time I visit the DR.

Food - The food was great. I have no complaints. Many people who complain about the food will pay 2 -3 times more for the same food anywhere else. I stayed full and enjoyed it. I've stayed at resorts in other parts of the Caribbean, including Mexico and the foods is as good or better.

Overall - outstanding experience!

Room Tip: Rooms in the low 3300's face Caribbean street, so there in no beach view and the garden view is...
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is our second visit to Punta Cana. I was not impressed with the first resort. I will not give it anymore energy. This resort is fun, great service, clean, and yes only adults. The room was very clean and always restocked. The grounds are well kept and clean. I love the front desk staff! They are so helpful and always smiling! They have a pretty good casino! The club was so much fun at night! Shout out to DJ Maney!! You did your thing! I went with my bestfriend for a girls get away. Our age 40-44 but we are not oldie moldies so we had an enjoyable time. The beach is clean and nice. This is a very relaxing resort. We went on the Saona Island excursion thanks to Miguel De Rosario of Hotbeds. He is amazing! He helped us with all our questions. I just can't say enough about this staff! The food is fresh and you can find something to eat. Every bartender did their best to get you the perfect drink. Please don't let the negative comments stop you from experiencing this place. They have the friendliest staff.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here with a group of 8 in July, 2013. Overall the experience was great! The hotel grounds are extremely clean and well maintained. Our room was cleaned 2x a day and there were constantly fresh towels (this is important because nothing dries in that humidity!). The staff were all extremely friendly and made honey attempts to meet everyone's request. Many of the staff speak limited English but I appreciate this since we are in their country. The beach is about a 5 minute walk through a grove of palm trees which provide ample shade and are a great place to take an afternoon nap (remember, no kids here!).

Overall the food/drinks were just okay which was fine for us because we were only there 4 days. I actually preferred the buffet food over the a la carte restaurants. We tried the Italian and Japanese and both weren't great but still fine for an all inclusive. One spot we found tasty snacks was the coffee bar where we got chips and guacamole almost every night. The guacamole was actually really good and tasted fresh every night. The drinks were as expected for an all inclusive and consisted of limited alcohol and lots if sugar. We were able to get custom drinks at the lobby bar which was nice.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone on a quick trip <5 days who wants a more upscale property without kids. Also, I think we had more fun because of the group. Not sure how entertaining it would be for two people.

Room Tip: We were in 3314 which overlooked the side of the hotel. It was very quiet but there was no view of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!