Just returned and are able to give a bit more info.
We booked throughThomson and were told over 18 only but this is wrong. There were some chidren of all ages around, not many but be aware ; adults only from early Nov 2012 but for a trial period only say Riu.
We got an upgrade overlooking the sea and pool, but had to use our loyalty points or pay US$300 for 2 weeks.They are very strict on free upgrades now. Free suites impossible. Some rooms overlooking building works which was noisy although fascinating.No health and safety!!
Also there were problems with the decking area round the pool and lots of drilling going on which was irritating.
Rooms excellent inside clean and well decorated, spacious.
Food at buffet in our opinion the best; lots of choice, roast duck, steaks fish roasts. Individual sweets and starters all excellent However labelling is poor. My wife is allergic to fish and there was stuffed marrow which she fancied but is was stuffed with crab! Breakfast as you would expect for Riu nothing exceptional bacon hard as usual! Lunch in the beach cafe excellent always good choice but the chinese food every day became a little boring!
The animation team led by Juan was the best ever they work really hard and try to please. Don't be a snob and play bingo; great fun and prizes! Be aware of the casino- we wondered about it; enough said.
The directors of Riu are present and wandering around to answer queries, but they can be a little aloof.
Beach lovely , pool lovely scenery great.
Finally a pet hate of mine, the drinks. Lager weak and tasteless. Some spirits were NOT what the label said . We ordered 4 Jack Daniels they were all poor quality whisky but came from a labelled bottle.The rums were better, guess they won't doctor their own drinks! Coke shocking, take it from your fridge in the room!
However we would recommend this hotel; it is not massive like some Riu Palaces. It is more homely and generally the whole experience and ambience makes it a worthwhile place and worth the money. 4.5 stars !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana