“Worst resort ever ” 1 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bambu

You added ClubHotel Riu Bambu to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bambu
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Worst resort ever ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

The food was awful the entertainment staff was not very exciting or involed. Between the 4 of us that were there we have been to Punta Cana over 20 times and all agreed that this was by far the worst resort ever. The pool wasn't maintained and was always dirty. We will never go back or ever recomend it to anyone. We even went as far as to spend two complete days away from our resort and stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino very nice. We hated the food so much that we lefted the Bambo and ate 5 meals out and at other resorts.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Polish first
Corner Brook, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We visited this resort last March with our kids aged 15 and 9 and my parents. The view of the beach when you step in the lobby is breathtaking! The resort is a good size and everything is in walking distance.

The pools are great. Small qiuet one and bigger one with swim up bar. Both were awesome and the drinks were great!

The food is good at the buffet and had plenty of choices for all. We went to 3 alacartes. The Italian was awesome! The steak house and the nexican were just ok.

There are shops at the resort and Caribbean street is a short walk down the beach.
The animation team at this resort works so hard and were so sweet!

We went on an excursion at Manatee Park swimming with the dolphins. That was alright. Glad I done it but don't feel the need it do it again.

This resort checked all the boxes for us and I woukd recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I work very hard and take very little holidays. But when I do , I look forward to them!! My boyfriend and I booked our first hot holiday together after almost 3 yrs! Our travel agent recommended this hotel, saying " You won't be disappointed!! "
All I can say from the moment we walked into the resort until we left it was nothing but!!It was we walked into the twilight zone!! Staff were carrying drunk kids! Kids throwing up everywhere and falling down!! Couldn't go to the pool bar because it was filled with 400 college students doing whatever they wanted..From throwing cups at each other , to barely keeping themselves above water, to Having SEX right beside you in the pool!!
It was OUT OF CONTROL!!
We tried to avoid them the best we could. We ate later or earlier . We didn't get our drinks from the bar ( cuz it didn't matter how much you tipped , your service never improved) We didn't go to the pool bar , or the pool by the pool bar. We tried to hide out where everyone else was trying to hide from these kids during the day.
The nights ........well they would leave and go to other resorts til about 1 am. Then they started to come back one cab load at a time. Screaming ,yelling, crying or fighting!!! There was no security to insure a quiet resort after 12am. I was awake for 4 straight days!!! I was EXHAUSTED!!! on my holiday!!
With that all being said.... If I woulda known they accepted spring breakers I would have made the decision of spending my money/time more wisely!! This resort is maybe at best a 3 star not a 5. And I think I would have been okay with that. But the disrespecting the guest who brought their young families and other guest for college students who had no respect of anyone including their staff blows my mind!!
It's safe to say I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESORT!! And will be emailing RIU about my experiences at their fine resort!!

Corner Brook, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

just got back fr Punta cana stayed at the Rui bambu , nice hotel clean , food was good not great but no trouble to find something to eat , beach was awesome , service was ok , not great , the worst was the smell , they had the sprinklers on watering the grass and the plants ,and I am sure it was sewer water ,it was awful you just couldn't get the smell out of your nose for hrs , I would advise to get a deluxe room , fr what I heard people talking about the other rooms the bed was as hard as a rock , if you can get a good price go , but a week is long enough had a good trip but wouldn't go back , we have been to Punta Cana 3 times ,first time at Grand Bahia , excellent ,but a really big resort , then grand paradise ,that also was excellent , but is now the Royalton and very expensive , hope this review helps

Room Tip: get deluxe the bed is more comfortable , and the room is a lot nicer , but a little further fr the m...
Oak Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We elected to take the 5 apple square mystery trip and ended up here which is maybe a 2 apple. Upon arrival you were given a real "key" to the room and if you wanted more than one you had to pay. The hotel was pink, rooms were below average as we froze at night. Our liquor cabinet was empty and the smell of sewage was enough to keep you awake at night. I have travled for the past 10 years and have never experienced such poor service, dirty grounds and unfriendly people. Pools were overloaded with out of hand drunks. The food is less than to be desired. Needless to say we flew home the next day. It wasn't worth the hassle to change resorts with the 4 night vacation.

Hanover Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Being in the hotel industry for 12 years. I have never been so disappointed in a resort. My husband and I do inclusive resorts every 2 years. We were traveling for my husbands bf wedding that he was standing up in. When we got there we found out that everyone was all over the place. They transferred 4 of us over to the Macow and to be honest it was a nicer resort with better food. But the purpose of our trip was to be with friends. Everyone that came with the wedding was in a different part of the hotel at the Bambu. I strongly think the resort should have someone that specializes in different cultures and knowing what there expectations are in travel.(As my travel agent had submitted a list of family that was traveling together guess that didn't mean anything).
As Americans like there friends and family to be near one another so they can party/socialize and have a good time. When you have to walk a mile or 2 just to meet everyone it's fun the first couple of days and then it just becomes a lack of knowledge of the staff. Not sure on other cultures but I can speak on the behalf of the Americans. When emailing the resort prior to my arrival the turn around for my questions would take 2 or 3 weeks for the answers to be "you take care of that when you arrive". If personally I had to do a destination wedding. This would not be my place as they did NOTHING to make the friends and family special we were just a number brining in the revenue.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The 3 of us went to Riu Bambu to celebrate our friends 50th Birthday and everything was going great until we were shown to out rooms only to find out that instead of an extra bed in our room there was in fact a pull out sofa bed with a wafer thin mattress. We went straight to reception to ask to be moved and the hotel reception staff we very unhelpful. We tried to explain that we paid for an extra bed and not a sofa bed but it was like talking to a brick wall so we decided to wait until the following day to speak to our Thomson rep. We explained the situation to our rep 'Sandro' who after a short conversation with reception sorted everything out for us and we were moved to a lovely room with a sea view and three beds! Sandro is our hero !! and Thomson should be proud to have such a nice guy representing them.
The hotel itself was pretty average and what you should expect from a 4* all inclusive
Lots of average but edible food, lots of drinks although the quality was sometimes not up to what you get in the UK
The cleaner who looked after our room for our two week stay who's name was 'Santa' was amazing. Any requests we had for an extra blanket or an extra towel etc was never too much trouble. She was a credit to the hotel
As was the entertainment team who were great fun.
The beach was lovely and was full of so many palm trees that there was no need for any parasols. We didn't spend too much time in the pool area as the hotel was a little heavy handed with the chlorine!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bambu? Share your experiences!