“Not the best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bambu

You added ClubHotel Riu Bambu to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bambu
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
PIQUA
“Not the best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Sorry but stayed at other Riu and this one is poor the food is barely edible and the same food day after day the entertainment was cheesy do not go to the club 6 dollar drinks and no one there but a few employees. Had to call the desk several times just to get waters and soda in fridge. The price was good but would spend a little more and go somewhere else ! But would like to add all the employees work extra hard and are very very nice!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Polish first
detroit
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Came with 8 other young men to enjoy our spring break. \

The food: poor at best. DO NOT EAT THE COLD HAMBURGERS OR HOT DOGS at the sports bar. I took a bite and threw up. No es bueno. Reservations you have to be in line at 7 to get anything good. We made it to the steak house last night and it was average. We did leave and venture to Kekua and had one of the freshest seafood meals we have ever tasted right down the beach. Kind of pricey but very worth it.

We were also in the 5000 block and the rooms were very nice and clean. Mini bar was only restocked once the entire trip despite me calling the front desk literally 7 times.

The bartenders here are awesome. Rossie and Acosto and Walesca and George loved us and took shots with us every time we took one. Very friendly(although we tipped them a lot over the week). An older gentleman paid for one of the cocounut drinks for me and a friend and they are terrible. But Walesca filled the coconut up with mama juana so we drank out of that. (thanks againand good luck with the baby Lorie if you see this!)

Some of the guests did not really appreciate us although we had many people tell us we were well behaved for being so intoxicated. If you take your family to the 50$ a night all inclusive during spring break and dont expect college kids then you are just not intelligent. There was no need to take pictures of us we are not zoo animals. For the future: If you want us to turn our music down, just politely knock. Theres no need to request we be removed from the hotel. If you want no college kids pay the 20$ extra a night and stay at one of the three palaces if you can afford it. If you cant than save up one more month and go to the palace when we are not here.

The lady who said we treated the workers like slaves is just flat out wrong. They would not have taken pictures with us or hugged us when we left if they were treated poorly.

But ya not a very good hotel if you can afford literally anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at the palace
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Poundtown, New Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you want to go to Hell/Purgatory, just stop at the RIu Bambu. The college kids were the only good part of this trip. The food is dog meat. If I wasn't so drunk constantly then I think I would have shot myself. Dont come here. Because you'll most likely die.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Interesting to see comments from guests that were there the same time we were to compare notes. We stayed there Feb 25-Mar 4 Hello to you Sylvie! We too stayed at the 5000 block, beautiful room but what's up with not getting face cloths, we had to keep asking every day! And the noise from the maids every morning...not everyone is up and gone at 7am! Only 1 room key, $10 for a second one. No washroom or place to get a drink near the beach. Also there is no benches any where to sit. The grounds are quite big so not sure why that is. Biggest complaint was the cigarette smoke! There was no getting away from it, especially trying to sit and enjoy the evening performers, we moved several times and would usually give up and leave.
Food: pretty much the same every day, buffet beverages were not good. Alot of time there was no diet pepsi in the dispenser and the juices were sugary
Service: staff were great, friendly
Entertainment: very talented bunch of kids but is it necessary for the girls to wear thongs for every performance! And the girls were really showing them off, honestly the elderly and kids did not need to see them waving their butts at them! Distasteful.
Cleanliness: grounds were very clean, always staff around cleaning up
By saturday the college kids started arriving(march break) very loud and obnoxious. Our building was very noisey at night from them. Well this is just our experience, my husband and I won't be back but hopefully our imput will benefit others who base their chose on these reviews. :)
Oh and we both got travellers diarhea from this trip, a first!

Room Tip: unless you like to walk, request a room close to ammenities!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Travelled with my husband and two 10 year olds between February 24 and March 3rd. I was a bit concerned about going as I had read some of the negative comments on here, but was pleased with the resort. Here are my honest impressions:

Resort: Check in was quick and organized. People complained about the keys (they only give you one) give me a break! The entire resort was kept impeccably clean even though some of my fellow guests were doing their best to mess it up including leaving their empty cups everywhere including the beach and around the pool area.

Food: The selection was overwhelming huge. I counted 5 or 6 different food stations that carried a wide variety of foods from fish to roast turkey, fries, hamburgers, roasted potatoes...you name it they had it. They also had a high dessert selection, cheeses and fruit. The wait staff clear the dirty plates off our table really quickly and brought us all our drinks promptly. The open air portion of the dining room was fantastic with an incredible view of the beach. We visited one speciality restaurant, the steak house (Mamajana) and it was really good. The steaks are not your typical North American looking steaks, but still really good. We also tried the Mexican one but we didn’t like it. We stuck with the buffet for the rest of the time as we enjoyed it.

Staff: I was told the in order to get good service we would need to tip well. This was not the case, we tipped some of the time, most times not, but still got great service regardless. The staff worked their butts off to clean, entertain and cook for the guests...my hats off to them!

Entertainment: We only saw the circus show, it was on a bit late for the kids but it was well worth staying up. The show was great and the kids loved it. Other than that the entertainment staff was on site morning-noon and night organizing games and activities for anyone that wanted to participate. The 3pm "Rui Bambu" song is still in my head!

The Room: We stayed in the 2000's block, this is the older non-renovated section. The room was really clean (trust me I checked and am very germaphobic!!) and we always had clean towels and the mini fridge was re-stocked daily. The pillows were a bit flat and uncomfortable to sleep on, although I’m sure they would have brought us more if we had asked

The Beach; The beach was perfect, the sand was like baby powder and the ocean was stunning. We could always find beach chairs and shade when needed. There are a ton of people that will stop and try to sell you trips, jewelry etc. that can get a bit annoying especially if they keep asking you (

Complaints:
Some of the American guests; They tended to take over the pool area, harassed the DJ to play dumb country songs (especially the one about the Solo cup!) got really obnoxiously drunk and chanted U.S.A...U.S.A!! I understand that this is their idea of fun, but I didn’t care for the lack of respect they showed to other guests that did not appreciate the noise or their particular taste in music. I also hated the way they left their empty cups everywhere and treated the staff like they were their slaves, I never heard any of them utter a "please" or "thank you" the entire time I was at the bar(s)

As for the person who commented below me about children at the sports bar, I could agree less. Our kids loves the sports bar as it gave them an opportunity to get out of sun and there was plently there for them to do including the video games, air hockey and pool tables.

In short I would recommend this resort as much of what was wrong with it was not in their control. Although I would stay again my husband and I agreed that the next trip would be to Cuba to ensure that our trip would be "drunk abnoxious American" free

Room Tip: All rooms are a short walk from anything. Keep away from the 1000's if you want a quiter sectio...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Richibucto, New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Food - Not a big selection but their is something for everyone. I really did enjoy the omelette station for breakfast, they were delicious!! Service at the buffet restaurant, well let's put it this way, if you waited a little, the waiters would come up to you and asked you if you wanted something to drink. No you don't get waited on like other places but these waiters were there from morning service to dinner service and no big break in between because you would find them in the bars to help out!

Beach - Excellent!! 5 stars just for the beach!!

Pool - way too crowded and LOUD!! Except the newer pool next to the kids play area, only thing was if you wanted to get away from loud obnoxious persons at the pool bar and wanted to go to the pool you had to hear kids screaming instead...

Room - We had the new Deluxe Rooms, no complains about that!! The only thing that really bugged us is that we wanted more beer in our fridge, we asked but don't expect to get much, you get only 2 cans of beer for 3 days!!!

Bars - Never had a problem, drinks were great!!

I have 2 major complaints 1. How can they have a big resort like that have no washrooms?? Once at the lobby you have one set of 5 washrooms each then some at the Mamajuana Restaurant. If you have at least 1000 people at once that is not enough washrooms! Especially when someone is sick! 2. Parents, why do you bring your young children in a sports bar??!! It's a bar, people are smoking and drinking, it's not a place for a 1-2 year old neither for a 6-7 year old, I know that if my kids were there with me, they would never had a chance to be in there, there is nothing there for them anyways!!!

Room Tip: We had the new Deluxe Rooms bloc 5000, very nice and very modern!!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

but the rest is average. We did have a wonderful time on the beach. Room was average size but the bathroom was small. We couldn't open the door without hitting the toilet. The food choices in the cafeteria never really changed and there is no where else to eat breakfast or lunch. And the food quality was average at best. At least it kept us from overeating while on vacation. Drinks were good and plentiful. We had stayed at the Riu Palace next door a couple years ago and liked it much better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bambu? Share your experiences!