“Christmas 2012 - Riu Bambu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bambu

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Bambu to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bambu
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Turn Spring Around!
Ranked #67 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
alpharetta
“Christmas 2012 - Riu Bambu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

First of all -I want to thank other Tripadvisor reviewers. The reviews I read for this hotel, the positive ones, were 100% accurate. The few that had negative comments just had an off week or trip. I am sorry that they may have experienced bad times. We had none. I took my family of 5. We had two rooms. My husband and I in one room and my three twenty something year old daughters in the next one. Staff was beyond helpful in lobby, bars, restaurants, pool and beach area. We had no problem with towels - they were oversized, clean and very soft and always available. The hotel was sold out and busy as the time, but still nothing suffered. Our rooms were cleaned perfectly every day. I saw ONE bug the entire time I was there inside the room, not even one outside the room. Clean towels in our room every day. Bottled water in our room everyday. Soap and bath gel were in our room. No shampoo. I think you could use the gel, but we brought our own. Beds were the only negative, and even they were fine. Not your luxury high end soft sink in feeling beds, but rather stiff instead. All in all, you are so tired at end of day, you sleep anyway. Ask for more pillows, if you need them. T.V. worked great, room fridge was great and safe was large enough for iPad, phones, purses, etc. We were in bldg 2900. I thought it was a great location. Entertainment was ok, not the best, but it was fine..just fine. The casino was small, but great for one night out. The grounds were immaculate, the pool always clean and the beach was spotless every day. Plenty plenty of seats everywhere. Vendors on beach were occasional and were not bothersome to us. The massages on the beach were fantastic. We got 5 massages for 51.00 US each and tipped 10 bucks each. Well worth the 55 minutes. We also did the para-sailing - gone for an hour - up in the air for 10 minutes - and 33.00/per person US dollars. It was fun. The ocean was so blue- sand was so soft. Make sure you tell bartender you want alcohol in your drinks - they assume you want them to be virgins (the pinacoladas and daiquiris). The shopping nearby was adequate. We did not leave the resort except for the Sanoa Island excursion. I highly recommend that excursion through VIP Tours. From start to finish - perfect. I have never seen an island so beautiful. Bring sunscreen. Keep you hotel towel from the day before because you leave at 7:20 a.m. and towel place is not open yet. Hide it in a bag as they don't really like you taking them off property. We did and we were fine. The wi-fi was only available for free in the lobby. That was a little too restrictive. Pay the 20.00 US and have it in your room or pool or wherever.
The food was nothing to write home about. The presentation each meal was. Wow. They are very talented people. Make your reservations every day. However, we found that we could get in each night if we changed our plans. Food was not the high point, it was sufficient. Eat the fruit. It is awesome. We used Dominican Airtransfers company - found it online - and paid for it in advance (90.00 US for 5 of us - roundrip) they were early both directions and were extremely polite. I can honestly say that the DR people are incredibly hospitable, kind, sweet, helpful, patient - just great folks. We will be back.

Room Tip: I like being closer to the lobby/pool area - ask for that.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

2,739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The grounds were very well kept and when you needed something they were quick to help and to rectify. The food was the same everyday never changed .A la Cartes were good but not what you expect in food choices for what they were called. Yes the rooms are outdated but they were fine other than the beds being rock hard (No Cockroaches). The 24 hour food (sports bar) is not what I would call food ..It was meat on bread or hot dogs/hamburgers you warm in a microwave . The beach was always clean and very well kept but its true the land sharks are never ending and continually bug you and waves are fun ...can't snorkel here not calm waters . The entertainment staff were very good but the shows are the same everywhere and they don't always continue with the music after the show they tell you to go to next resort to join them and the disco is not at this resort it is also at the resort next door . Super expensive at the store there so don't forget your sun lotions or aloe as they charge $26.00 and $33.00 for same tubes here in Canada for $9.00 . They will barter with you at the little shops but gets tiring getting them to do that so we would tell them give us your best price once or we leave .. They over price themselves so we walk away and than they are at the price they should of been in first place but their loss when they do that. All in all was a good trip I would recommend to first time travelers and families with kids .

Room Tip: All rooms are the same and close proximity to everything and not a lot walking actually a nice strol...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Was there in November. The club is nice, the beach is fabulous. But the food is a real disapointment. No variety, everything has same taste. At times food is not maintained at the right temparature, can be harmful to health. Personnel is polite but not doing the extra step.
In my opinion, this club doesn't deserve a rating of 5 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms are located in quiet area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I read a lot of the reviews on here of the Bambu before booking and I have to say as a whole they're quite accurate. I can see how some picky people can find a lot of things to dislike here, as it's not by any means a luxurious hotel. I think if you go with reasonable expectations though and a good attitude, you will have a great time as it is an amazing place to be.

I'll start with the best parts to the worst:

The Beach: Absolutely beautiful, a long and deep beach with white sand and lots and lots of palm trees. One of the best beaches i've seen. The staff keep it quite clean, no garbage to be found anywhere and the sunbeds are rearranged and dusted off every night. There was always enough shade, drinks, activities and food steps away and overall very pleasant and comfortable.
Warning: the water is quite rough, with lots of waves and therefore sometimes lots of seaweed. Not sure if it is so year round, I went in December. If you like still waters I'd choose a different beach.

Overall atmosphere: I would say the atmosphere was quite pleasant! We arrived at the bambu after two or three stops at the other Rius, which are by comparison much more luxurious and beautiful. Especially the palace punta cana. By comparison the bambu looks like a fun low key and smaller hotel. no striking entrance, just a semi outdoor lobby with a roof and a big christmas tree. The grounds are quite big so one can go for walks at night. Lots of lights and activity at night and the grounds are beautiful. There were plenty of people and it felt fun and upbeat.
The only thing I disliked about the atmosphere is the excessive salespeople around the beach as well as around the lobby at night. It ruined a nightly walk when one is constantly being interrupted and hounded by sales people.

Service: This was a bit mixed. There were staff that were very helpful and friendly and some that were quite indifferent and almost rude. Their attitude highly changed after being offered tips, however in my opinion you should not have to tip to get service.
That being said some staff were incredibly sweet with or without any tips. Overall though I was not impressed with the service.

The Food: If you're a foodie you should probably stay away from this resort, though that probably also applies to most resorts out there. The food isn't awful, but it's not very good. After a few meals it is possible to find things that you enjoy as there's a lot of choice. It was trial and error though- some things were really bad. The desert though is quite good. Overall unless you're quite picky I would not stay away because of the food, some of it was quite good!
I only tried one of the a la cartes: the steakhouse. We all agreed it wasn't worth the getting up early for and that the main buffet was better, so we did not try the other two a la cartes.
The wine was not drinkable and the only brand name beverage was pepsi and diet pepsi.
The food is not really 24 hours as there were certain time periods where there wasn't much available other than cold really bad sandwiches and hot dogs. That being said I never went hungry, far from it.

The entertainment: The Africa show was worth watching, the rest were borderline annoying and very few people were paying attention. The entertainment staff were really trying but the actual "shows" were not very good. They do help create a bit of an upbeat vibe at night though and just something to look at. I just wish they weren't so loud.

The Rooms: The rooms were comfortable enough but nothing very good about them. The TV was old, the beds quite hard. The bathroom had a bit of mold and shower didn't really work the first day. I saw a few cockroaches. The decor in my opinion was quite ugly.Also there were only thin sheets and a thin cover, i was a bit cold at night.The maid was great though and the room was spotless each day. There was a mini bar in the room which was quite convenient.

Overall for the price I was very happy

Room Tip: The 400s are close to the beach and restaurants/ lobby but far away to be away from nightly noise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fenelon Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Well 1st off, I believe most people who write these reveiws and take the time to write them are people who for one reason or another are not happy, I'm a happy one. Just returned from RUI BAMBU and it was a great time, staff was awesome, grounds were spotless, pool was clean, beach was beautiful....this is a smaller resort and you get to know the people around you, which is fun. Food was good and we always found something we liked. Bar staff is great....find Ramone and Gorgie and tell them their family from Canada sent you.....Ramone makes the best banana drinks.....rum,rum and more rum....the staff work hard to make it a pleasent stay....and they don't bug you for tips, but they sure show you they apperciate them when you do.....take some small bills (US) $1's and take a bubba mug.....they know how to fill them....well have fun if you go and tell them Dave sent you....cheers

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We just came back from the RIU Bambu (Dec4-11, 2012) This was my second trip to Punta Cana and my boyfriends 3rd trip. We thought the resort was beautiful. We upgraded to deluxe so we would have the bar in room, which was nice. We had room 501, which was ground floor and close to everything. (restaurants, bars and beach) We did get ants on the bathroom floor because my boyfriend had slashed some fruity rum drink on the floor and didn't wipe it up. Otherwise there was no issue with bugs. The food was ok at the buffet, better at the a la carte. We enjoyed the steak house the most. This is a smaller resort, compared to the Bahia Principe where we stayed the last time. Most of the people we met were European and over 50. Not much night life at this resort.(no disco) We watched the shows every night, they were fun and entertaining. The entertainment staff was great, they set up games all day long and we won bottles of rum. The best bar by far is the pool bar. George the bartender at the pool bar was awesome. He brought us drinks down to the beach and went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. A genuinely nice guy. There are signs all over the resort to guide you where you want to go. We had no problems finding anything. The gorgeous beach was cleaned every morning and the grounds are maintained and extremely clean. There were always clean towels for us when ever we wanted one. My only issue was with the Sunwing rep Leo. He bold faced lied to us. We paid the 80 dollars to upgrade our seat selection. He told us we would have advance boarding for the plane and that there was a vip section for us at the airport. Not the case. We boarded all at once and there was no vip room at the airport. All in all though we were happy with this resort for the price we paid and we had a pleasant trip. We would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cobourg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Before you read.....please consider this was our first trip to Punta Cana and with the Riu Resorts. But it still our experience and we felt we must warn others when deciding to go to this resort. We only knew what we were told. We trusted what we were told. But for you....if this is your first time be aware not all things are what they seem. IF you read to the bottom, I explain what happens if you were to get sick (which I did). Go with approved medical insurance!!!!

It was a dispointment to see we were decieved into thinking it was a five star. The quality of service, food, etc was obvious that wasn't.

When we were searching for a FIVE star resort in Punta Cana. Zarvann Kavasji,
Cruise and Vacation Consultant from Red Tag Vacations was give a list of our requests such as: Five star ( a must), within our budget, all inclusive (including tax), and a room by the ocean (or ocean view).

We decided on the Riu Bambu as it was a great price, "FIVE" star and close to the ocean.

After our trip we thought about placing a review on here as this is the place I went to check out reviews of this hotel before chosing it as well. IT was recommended by the consultant to do so before chosing. He did mention that there is good and bad reviews usually with each one just look for common threads. I did not see at that time complaints that RIU Bambu was NOT a five star. But I did watch a u-tube video on the resort that warned it. We just ignored and went ahead. I wish I didn't ignore. Live and Learn.

At first, It was difficult to manuver through the resort check in. When we got there we stood around wondering where do we go first. Finally, we were given instructions, keys and a fruit drink. It was difficult to communicate at times because the staff at the front desk did NOT speak english well. THIS WAS A BEGINNING OF TROUBLES.

-What we requested as a room at the front of the resort, closest to the water as possible. We were given the furtherest room at the back of the resort (near the road coming into the resort). We did NOT get instructions on how to get to our room we had to figure it out on our own. IF you have been there you will know what I mean.

-The smell immediately hit us as we walked up to building where our room was. It continued to the room. IT smelt like sewage. The room was clean for us. BUT the smell was bothersome. We immediately opened windows etc. I sprayed some freshener. We were just relieved to get to our room to unpack and rest before dinner. We had a bar, fridge with drinks, flat screen tv with converter, a/c that worked, outlets at bedside, nice big step in shower, toliet was on its own by front door with no working fan, we had a balcony with chairs. We were pleased for the most part. Front desk answers the phones but once again don't understand english well.

********IMPORTANT******
Issues: Not hot water, shower head that could peel your skin off, safe was NOT open, no laundry bags, no instructions on how to get bed sheets cleaned (they say every third day after asked) which was not done!, water did NOT get restocked. NOT done after asked safe several times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How to resolve: Call, Call, Go to front desk, talk to manager, Call, Go to front desk, wait 48- 72 hrs and still NOT resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!!!

We had two maintence men (do not speak english) to help resolve the hot water issue.....they said its fine and left. We like warmer water!!!! Maids don't speak english...don't bother and ask them anything. Front desk will tell you it will get done....it didn't. We were there for 7 days!!!

NO instructions or manual on how to manuver in this resort in the room or at front desk. FIND OUT on your own by asking around....

FOOD- Its buffet style so get there while its first made. Same foods usually served. Cooks don't speak english, not always a sign up to explain what that food is. Lots to choose from. But I found it bland and watery. Some meat hard, tons of pasta, bread, cheese, sliced meats, fruit, salad, and vegetables. BEST coffee in am. Coffee at lunch and supper could take rust off a car. Breakfast is early 7 am and dinner is late 7pm. If you want the "special" reservation dinners then its 6:30pm. WHATEVER YOU DO ....do not go to the American one with "steak". We got sick!!! Italian was best. Wine is horrible. Breakfast they serve you fast. Dinner serving was slower. Try to get water filled up was a challenge.

Alcohol -Drink lots and lots of bottled water. The drinks flow freely and plenty. However, can be sugary +++. The water they serve at the bar IS bottled water. Make sure to tip....they will treat you very well.

Resort Allows VENDORS- allows aggressive vendors to sell their products in the hall ways of the resort....on your way to dinner, to the beach, to the bar, on your way to your room. They allow photographers to stand before the dinning room to take pics with you and people dressed in custom. Vendors on the beach. Will come up to you while you relax. Want to sell, sell, sell. The stores in between resorts can be the same type of sale tactics. Over price. ALWAYS bid. Never give them what they ask. They are expecting you to negotiate with them. Don't feel pressured or bad when saying "NO". Everyone wants money there. Watch they don't suck you dry!

Activities- The entertainment was amateur, later on in the evening and not as exciting as the pictures. I found it boring. I was expecting much more. Live and learn.

Annoying activities on beach that interfers with relaxation- beach workouts, loud music and loud announcements. Would wanted an option to decide where to sit to avoided that.

Day excurtions- not all what you pay for. but worth the experience. rough rides. bring your bug spay and if it looks like rain bring a rain jacket. the drive can be wet. The tourist was the best "Johnny Bravo" on Country Express...he spoke three to four languages. This trip was worth it. You saw plantation where coffee, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, and cigar rolling. You got to experience a local school, home and their beach. Remember to watch for vendors on their beach as just as aggressive. Make sure you are careful to bring anything for the childern as they WILL swarm you (childern outside of the school that is). Drivers want tips.
The shark/sting ray excurtion was interesting. Good experience. Short and sweet. Water is beautiful. The snorkle etc is not yours ...they provide....becareful. They have a pics with sting ray. but ask you not to take your own with them. Bring a underwater camera, your guide will take pics for you of the sharks, fish, you, etc. Floating bar was fun...the dock the boat, put on music and you can go out in the water to swim. They serve drinks and swim around to check on you. Very nice.

While your there do take advantage of the day trips. They are worth it. The water activities look fun. I watched. Night time walks were good as long as you stayed on the path with lights and walk with your partner. NEVER alone.

I did end up getting sick and staying in the local hospital. It was a big learning experience. My ear had swelling and pain, throat hurt etc. Went to the clinic on the resort. Nurse didn't speak english but doctor did. What I didn't know was he could have came to my hotel room!!!!!!!!!!! But anyways, He sent me off the resort by taxi to the closest hospital in Bavaro. Not like what you expect. 20 mins away. You have to stand outside to give all insurance information. I wasn't told at the clinic on the resort that I needed a file number. I had to call and get one. Which there is a process. Had to struggle with this first. Then go in to bed. Men with guns standing at desk by rooms. Hospital is not clean. Watch that they clean their hands. They didn't when they came to do care on me. They did wear gloves. The doctor spoke english. I had to delay my flight due to middle ear trauma. I was also dehydrated from diarrhea. I had infection in my throat as well. So, I was given iv fluids, admitted and sent to a room upstairs. No instructions. No nurse to meet me. I actually had to go find my nurse after an hour to find out when i was going to start my antibiotics etc. She gave my meds too quickly and I got side effects, she left my gravity IV hanging and didn't come to check on me to see if was done. I had to close the clamp before i got air in my veins. I couldnt' sleep. Nurses forgot my meds, gravity iv hanging worried me it would run out while I sleep because nurses weren't checking on me on time, they didn't tell me what meds I was getting, dinner was at 7pm, cold. Bathroom dirty. No doctor in am. Had to go downstairs to outpt to see my doctor who didn't clear me to fly. Discharged me to resort but wanted to see me three days later. Knowing resort will charge us for everything again. Money was running out.

Infections of the ear, nose and throat are common as you swim, snorkle and dive! Becareful as it could interfer with your flight home like it did mine. The travel insurance we paid through sun wing did not get recongized at the hospital and so luckily we had our own. The insurance doesn't pay upfront your taxi rides, hotel or flight home. All have to be paid for up front. Hotel will charge you 2 dollars/min for any calls outside. The ATMs didn't take our cards like the company told us they would. They told my boyfriend that he could make "complimentary" call and then end up charging him. They said the only way to pay was cash. He ran out and he was told he could get some at the casino if he first plays. He lost money playing but got money .

It was a mess to get home. So be prepared before you leave to go to a third world country.

Hope this helps you plan your vacation better. We learned alot from ours....making us wiser. Hope we saved you a few complications along your travels. Thank God for sites like this. Because at least you can say you were warned!!!!

Room Tip: know when you request you don't always get. Make sure you mention non-smoking if your a non smok...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bambu? Share your experiences!