“Great place to go with a group of people.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bambu

You added ClubHotel Riu Bambu to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Bambu
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great place to go with a group of people.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this place for a honeymoon or anyone seeking an up scale place as that's what the riu palace are for. But over all it's a good place to sit back, relax and have fun.
The food was average it did the job, I had to re select a few choices as some of the food just taste different. The pool was nice,with nice sitting areas in the pool, great swim up bar.
The rooms are okay, beds are very hard and flat pillows, also They dont give you enough blankets so I got cold at night.
The entertainment was good as they have a nice theater and also have beach shows. We went for a wedding and it was pretty enough and everyone seemed to have a great time. When you stay at the riu bambu you get to go to the riu Macau right beside and enjoy their resturants which I thought was cool. I would recommend this place for a group trip, familes, or people that don't expect the best of the best and don't mind average..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Polish first
Ajax, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled to Punta Cana from September 1-September 8, 2012. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 am and during our check-in at the airport we had upgraded for the elite plus. Little did we know that our extra baggage was supposed to be included with our upgrade but we were never told this by the worker of Sunwing. During our arrival to Riu Bambu, we were greeted with a drink which was very nice however; we were not able to get our room until 5pm, which meant that we had to stay out. Even though we were able to get to the beach but we were unable to shower or just relax. When we finally got our room, our safe was locked and the toilet didn’t work, we complained on many occasions. Our safe was finally fixed after 4 days of us being there and our toilet was fixed after 2 days but it broke again the day before we left. The staff at the front reception would not listen to us because we did not speak Spanish. WE felt ignored even though we paid just like anyone else. We met with our Sunwing representative the day after our arrival to expression our concerns but nothing was done about it. We had booked 2 excursions with the Sunwing representative, one being a trip to Santo Domingo and the other being a trip through a town, school, etc. The morning of our first excursion to Santo Domingo we arrived in front of the resort at 6 am for our pick up and we waited until 9 am but the bus never came. We even called the phone number on the reservation form which we got but no one picked up so we then waited for our Sunwing representative and he basically made us feel as if we were lying and told us that the money will not be refunded and that we had to book another excursion instead of helping us. We were so frustrated and told him that we refuse to book another excursion and just want our money back. My boyfriend then called Sunwing directly to place a complaint.

We travel 4-5 times a year and we were not expecting the food to be the greatest but I must say that it was beyond horrible. The food was never changed and because of this, I got sick for 2 days during our stay there. We complained about the food but once again nothing was done. Regarding the rooms, it was okay but nothing great. We were told to be out of the pools by 6 pm because they had to clean it which was another disappointment. The beaches had A LOT OF SEEDWEED to the point that we refused to go into the ocean. Not to mention that our room was only cleaned 3 times during our stay there and on one of the nights, the maid came at 9 pm to clean our room (which was very odd). We stopped complaining to front receptionist because nothing was being done.

Overall, we would never travel with SUNWING nor stay at RIU reposts in Dominican every again. Sunwing did nothing to help us out and just sent an email saying that “THEY ARE SORRY FOR WHAT HAPPENED BUT CAN’T DO ANYTHIGN ABOUT IT”. Sunwing even refused to return our money which we paid extra for at the airport. I would suggest people go to Dominican because it is a beautiful island but I would STORNGLY encourage you NOT TO FLY WITH SUNWING OR STAY AT ANY OF THE RIU RESORTS!

Room Tip: -I would suggest that you stay away from this resort
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stouffville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed two week did two excursions I got my scuba certificate while I was there.The beach was beautiful we went for long walks and we also used the gym if we didn't walk.Specialty restaurants were disapointing food was good though alot of kids,thats our fault for not finding that out.We went zip lineing and went to Catalina island where I finnished up my scuba test that was done near La Romona and was also nice.The water was rough like at Cancun.We'd go there again if not for the kids,also we like to look at the caribean side too.Scubacaribe were the people I went through for scuba and they were very good.I notified them by email before we left and it was all setup before I got there.All in all a very nice property

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Great family resort. entertainment team was great. they got everyone involved. food was ok. been to many resorts and islands in the Caribbean, comparatively, this resort had average food. Drinks were good,and the bar staff were great. Rooms were nice. however there are no connecting rooms. Pools are awesome. Beach was great. excellent resort for kids. thanks Riu Bambu for the great service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just got back (last week) from two lovely weeks at the Riu Bambu,

Looking on the positives the building and grounds are immaculate and are a credit to the hard work the staff obviously put in.

The beach is one of the nicest I have ever seen, soft powdery sand and the occasional butterfly fluttering down wind.

The sea is the Carib-Lantic as Punta Cana is on the point where the Caribbean Sea meets the Atlantic so during the time we where there it was quite choppy on some days and not really safe to swim in.

The food in the hotel was ok, having now stayed at two other Riu’s it was not as good as the other ones but by no means was it bad, there was always something to eat and a good selection, the Asian restaurant was especially nice.

There was some building work quite close to our accommodation but this did not impact on the holiday and did not make much noise

No gripes or moans all in all it was a excellent value for money holiday

Room Tip: Rooms near the tennis court are next to the building work
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel location is great. We got a nice room on House #1 on 2nd floor after we wrote to the hotel. They made it possible. House #1,2,3 are closer to beach.

Beach is really nice.. a little waves but white sand and blue skies and ocean. Nice to relax. Plenty of beach seats....

Front desk people are nice, as well as bar tenders and waiters. Rooms are big OK because you do not want to saty on the room... go to the beach !!!!.

Breakfast menu and dinner are OK... not the best food quality but for the price you paid it is acceptable.

LUNCH is the worst menu I ever seem in a buffet, not too many choises and always the same... They had a sport bar 24 hours... whre we can get hamburguers and hot dog frozen and you have to warming up on microwave...

Free Internet on Lobby is really bad... better to said that it is not.

Pretty much everything was great until the time to request a taxi.

Asked on front desk for a taxi and they said, it will arrive on-time.. and it was... we were told that should be 38 USD to airport... WELL .. this is something I hate....

After arrive to hotel... I tried to pay this taxi driver from hotel with some Dominican Pesos and some Dolars but he has not change ... so I decide to pay with only dolars and he said that does not have change... I told him.. give back some Dominican Pesos and he said that does not have .. I could not believe it.. I got so upset of this.. so I had to let taxi driver the keep all change because I was on a rush...

Really unpolite this situation ....

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the beaches ... those will be house # 1,2,3 and other similars I guess. Get e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Check in was well organised and quick,Rooms very spacious and clean.The mini bar was only replenished every two days with 2 small bottles of beer 1 bottle of water and a small coke and orange.The pool areas and swim up bar were clean with plenty of sun loungers.The food in the main restaurant was very poor for the first ten days mainly because it was cold or under cooked.We complained several times to the manager about this and there was a 100% improvement for the last four days.We only used the pool /beach restaurant once because there was no dress code and it is not nice rubbing shoulders with sweaty people with no shirts on whilst dinning.The best restaurant was the Asian which was excellent closely followed by the Italian restaurant.The steak restaurant was a big let down as the hot starters were cold and the steak very fatty.
The hotel is well laid out with a very nice clean beach and friendly staff.
The highlight of our holiday was a day out on the jungle rally with George of the jungle as our guide.He was very informative pleasant a very funny.Thanks George.
A lesson for all of you,use the safe provided in your room,my sister-in-law had some jewellery taken from a drawer.
This is the worst Riu hotel we have stayed in just because the food was not up to the high standards Riu hotels mormally provide.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bambu? Share your experiences!