“Dreamholiday in the dominican republik” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Dominicana Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Higuey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Germersheim, Germany
“Dreamholiday in the dominican republik”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Great holiday in the dominican republik, simply amzing hotel. beautiful park in the hotel. excellent service and very friendly personal.

the playa was dirketly in front of the hotel park. very clean and beautiful.

the animations where funny and interessting but not annoying

Room Tip: Room 4104 had an excellent view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
We thank you for having chosen Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience among us on Tripadvisor.
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we want to express you our happiness to acknowledge that the friendliness of our staff and our beautiful beach ensured you an unforgettable holiday as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We will be waiting for your return. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your return.
With regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
brossard, qc. canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

RESORT: Basic & well maintained
Good design: everything is easily accessible...even has elevators

POOL: Very clean...I consider that a no swim-up bar helps to keep it clean (fewer spills, and no empty glasses or straws all over the place...no greasy film on the bottom). The bar is situated right in the middle of the pool area so anyone who wants a drink while in the pool doesn't have far to go.

HOUSE BAND: We enjoyed the live music in the evenings.

BEACH: Groomed daily. The hotel has a large ocean frontage with palapas well spaced, so you don't feel crowded like on some other resorts.

DINING: Satisfactory meat dishes, fresh vegetables for salads, really nice fresh fruit, good cakes & pasteries...The main dining hall was crowded and noisy, so we really appreciated the à la carte restaurants for their quiet atmosphere. To our surprise, the food was generally better than in the main restaurant.

STAFF: Magnificent, professional, attentive service everywhere throughout the week. Impressive.

PUBLIC TOILETS & FLOORS: Well maintained ....quite an achievement considering that they are in constant use.

BARS: Hit and miss for cocktails...Beer & wines are always good.

ROOM: Clean & pleasant, however the housekeeping was only done around 4:30 - 5:00.

ROOSTER: Great looking, but doesn't know that it should only crow at sunrise & sunset. I highly recommend this hotel inspite of the rooster.

Room Tip: Garden view is preferable because vehicles regularly passing by on the other side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience.
We are very happy to read that the friendliness of our staff, the variety of our gastronomy and the beauty of our premises were the reason why your holidays were unforgettable as we aim in Iberostar.
We kindly ask you to contact us before your next visit; we will be glad to welcome you back.
Massapequa, New York, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I don't understand what I am missing and how so many people think this resort is excelent
PROS-friendly and scenery and views very nice-I have done similar all-inclusive resorts and have had similar results
Cons-Although the staff is friendly its like pulling teeth for them to go above and beyond for you.
ex- our phone never works in the room and the ac worked but never got cold. I went to the front desk on the first day and explained this to them and told me they woudl have it taken care off, well they never did.
ex# 2-they had signs saying no reservation of the chairs with canopy but yet every morning i was forced to wake up early and plant my towels to ensure a good spot. while we were in the pool 10 feet from our chairs in the pool other guests who did not speak english sat in our seats, after they refused to get up and disrepected me I notified a staff rep about the situation who explained to me that we are family and should be sharing. Im sorry but that wasn't fair and left me a bitter taste in my mouth. speaking of bitter taste there food there is probaly the worst food i have ever tasted. me and my fiance struggled the entire week with eating and not feeling well after we ate. the best meal we ate was the complimetary snack we got on the plane flying there. i am not a picky eater but several meals made me sick.
ex#3 non-stop soliciting-everyday and the same people asking you for pictures, massages, and water sport activities. the same people are asking you more than once a day everyday you would think they would remeber you and not bother you after day 2 of them begging you. this resort has a great price per night but in life you pay for what you get and we will defintely not be back to this nightmare resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience on TripAdvisor.
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to express you how much we regret to acknowledge that your experience among us was not as positive as we aim to ensure our valuable costumers as you. We would like to reassure you that this is not the true depiction of our standards of operation here in Iberostar Punta Cana and Dominicana. We have sent your feedback to the correspondent departmental heads to ensure that the inconveniences as those you encountered will not reoccur in the future.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and show you the way we make feel as “Stars” our valuable costumers and remain at your entire disposition for any further assistance prior your next visit.
Best regards,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just got back after a week at IB Dominicana. My husband and I went there for our 5 years anniversary. IB Dominicana and IB Punta Cana share the same pool/restaurants etc. IB Bavaro has access to the same and some of their own which we don't have access to. There were lots of pros and cons we felt during our stay so here it goes -

Room/Check-in: This was the most disappointing part of the trip. Check-in was quick at the lobby with a nice welcome drink but the room given to us was not correct/ready. The bellboy took us to a room assigned to us and when we got there, the housekeeping lady shouted somethingi n spanish to him. He then told us you can't check in to this room, there has been a mistake. We were then assigned to another one far from the beach/pool (earlier one was super close). That's ok since it was close to the lobby and buffet restaurant. However, after we got to the 2nd room.. we noticed it was two double beds. Now get this, I called the resort 3 times before our trip to confirm a 'king bed' room, on an upper floor.. as we were coming for our anniversary. They did not acknowledge our anniversary, and gave us a double bed room. That was very upsetting! But they did upgrade us to a Jr.Suite from a standard room, so we didn't complain as we appreciated that. They also combined the two double beds to make it into a large 1 bed. The only issue was the bellboy now took our room keys with him to get them changed for the new room assigned to us. He did not return for an hour. We called the lobby 5 times and each time they said he's on his way. It was very annoying having to stay back in the room for an hour and not being able to leave cz we were keyless.
Also, there were lots of little ants in our room! I have no patience for that. Yes I know it's a tropical place and all, but I'm just not comfortable around this as I feel it's all unhygenic and the ants getting into our luggage can come back with us to our homes! Our room was fumigated on the 5th day of the trip, so not early enough but it was helpful.
Major issue was the shower of our room!! First of all there is no pressure, the water barely comes out so you don't feel satisfied after the shower. But bigger issue was the curtain for the stand-up shower was short 5 inches above the floor! After each shower, water would be outside on the bathroom floor.. we had to clean it dry with the towels. The housekeeping lady left 2-3 extra towels for us each day. It's just basic stuff, all you need is a long shower curtain!
TV: Another major complaint: most channels are in spanish.. except maybe 3 in english. We didn't go there to watch tv, but it was nice to be able to watch something while your partner is getting ready/showering.. or just relaxing right before hitting the bed.
I compared this resort to an amazing one we went to in mexico. A lot of things are lacking here including no room service for food.
The Jr. Suites are newly renovated and nice overall. The beds/pillows were extremely comfortable! We did have a good night's sleep every night.

Beach: Beautiful. Yes white sand, turquoise blue water, swimable soft sand beach. All the goods. Lots of beach chairs but you will struggle to find a spot if you are not there early enough (8:30 am or before). Staff keeps the beach area really clean. They are out and about all day to pick up the junk and keep it clean. Lots of vendors at the beach, irritating at times.. but they understand you if u say no! Oh, and I don't know why women are allowed to be topless at a kids-friendly resort.

Food: Food overall was good. A la carte restaurants are your better choice. They allow 3 reservations in a week's stay. We tried mexican, international, oriental. Oriental was our favourite with some yummy sushi. Mexican was alright, not as good as we expected. Yes the buffet had many selections but the food was always the same everyday. They had different theme nights so they would change up 4-5 items but rest would all be the same. I was tired of the food after 5 days. If we had more a la carte reservations allowed, it would have been better. Lots of dessert selections so that was good.

Staff: Overall great and very friendly staff! Super helpful. The only issue was that if you ask for something related to housekeeping.. it could take them half hour-45 mins to deliver. It would waste a lot of time waiting in the room just for that. But again, the staff did such an amazing job with their service at the restaurants, pools, beaches, etc.

Pool: I can't believe there is no swim-up bar for IB Dominicana and Punta Cana guests!! Yes there is a bar right outside the pool, but it sucks to come out of the water for a drink. We spent only 1 day in the pool.. Rest of the days were at the beach. The pool was quite dirty. I wasn't happy with that.

Entertainment: We weren't pleased the first night, but after that night after night entertainment only got better! The performances were amazing, super energetic and I loved how they involved the audience to join the games. The dance and music was super good!! Only negative is this should strictly be a no-smoking area. I hated having to be inhaling all that smoke and felt bad for the kids around there.

Wifi/Internet: How do they not have free wifi in the lobby? We have stayed at few other resorts before and they all had free wifi access in the lobby area!! 1, you get charged. and 2, you have no access to it in your room. only around the lobby or the pool.

Final Tips: Upgrade to the suite with a good shower (hopefully), get your own sunscreen and bug spray/repellent, get to the beach early for a chair

IB Dominicana is a good resort but has potential for a lot more. I don't think I'll go back there.. but we did make most of our stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Helena Santos, we thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Dominicana on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about our varied gastronomy, the service provided by our staff in all areas of the hotel and the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar Hotels and Resorts two of our guiding principles are to provide the best service and an international cuisine to our valuable costumers.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences related to your room assignment and conditions which prevent you to enjoy your holidays and influenced on your negative perfection about our standards and quality of services. Our Management team has been notified about your feedback which will be taken into account to evaluate our performance according to our Iberostar Premium Standards.
We remain at your disposition for any further assistance especially in case you decide to visit us once again to provide you with the service you should have received in your first stay.
Sincerely yours,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our stay at the Dominicana was wonderful. The desk checked us in right away and we were driven by gulf cart to our room by the Bellman. The room was clean the mini fridge was stocked with water,beer and cola. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet. The food was delicious, the drinks were great. The grounds were kept up and so green. We were centrally located close to the beach, swimming pool and restaurants. The Star Friends were really great. They made sure we were having fun. They were all exceptional young people. You could tell they enjoyed their job. My husband and I had a great time The pool was refreshing and kept very clean. I can't say enough about this resort. After seven days, we called the bellman to pick up our luggage from the room and Rolando came right away and gave us a ride to the lobby. I would recommend this resort, in fact, we are planning to send my son and his wife next year.

Room Tip: We were in room 4134 which was close to the swimming pool and beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Iberostar Dominicana and for choosing our premises to spend your holidays.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager and the whole team, we would like to express how glad we are to acknowledge that our friendly team (among them from Rolando your bellboy) ensured you a “great vacation” according to the title of your publication. Our goal in Iberostar is to turning you stay into a memorable holiday.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance prior your return.
With kindest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in a Junior Suite in the Iberostar Dominicana in Nov/2013. The grounds were amazing and perfectly manicured. The pool was great. The room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The staff (with the exception of one particularly nasty employee in the casino) was amazing. Very friendly. I did find it a bit boring as the night time entertainment was a bit lacking and didn't start until 2130 at night. It was also in the smoke filled section off the lobby which I found unbearable. If you dislike the smell of cigarette smoke, this is not the resort for you.
My only complaint is the food. The breakfast and dinners were okay. You could definitely find any kind of food you wanted. There were a million things to choose from. The lunch buffet was horrible pretty much everyday. I ended up getting violently sick 48 hours into our stay, and 7 days later I am still sick....I did not drink the water and even used bottled water to brush my teeth.
That being said, aside from the food, I don't think you could ask for a better resort. Just remember to bring your sunscreen as it costed $27 for a tiny bottle in the hotel! THe drinks are also tiny and we couldn't seem to find anything that wasnt sickeningly sweet....

Room Tip: definitely go with a junior suite. The other rooms are right off the pool and can be small and very...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear guests,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to share you experience on Tripadvisor.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we want to express you our happiness to acknowledge your positive valuation about our beautiful and clean premises, the variety of our entertainment options and the excellent service of our friendly staff. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers.
Allow me to clarify some points that you stated in your review. For Iberostar, hygiene and quality control are taken seriously; we also follow strict sanitary procedures and recommendations based on the Dominican Republic´s Regulations and by Saniconsult, our external Hygiene consulter, while handling our food products to prevent and avoid any kind of alimentary risks and hazards.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide and remain at your disposition for any future assistance.
Best regards,
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We just got back from a seven-day stay on Nov. 16th.This was our second trip to this hotel, with our first trip being way back in Feb. 2000. We had an amazing time in 2000 and an almost equally amazing time this trip. The trip is what you make of it and the first time we went we clicked with some other people who made the trip so fun.

The property has been updated and several areas have been changed, most notably the dining areas in front of the Dominicana and Punta Cana sides by the beach, and the pools also.

Our room was nice, spacious...we had a king bed and a couch with plenty of room for two. We were on the first floor - which is actually the 2nd floor, (4100 floor) so it was a quick walk up the steps although there was an elevator. We were almost in the corner facing the pool with a glimpse of the beach, which was a very good location.

We did not see any bugs in our room. The only thing that could have been a little better was our air conditioning. Once we figured out how to turn up our ceiling fan that helped. We had to get up on a chair to pull the chain to get it on a higher setting.

Everything was very clean and our housekeeper made many special towel "sculptures" each day. The people throughout the resort are very friendly and accommodating.

The shows at night were a little hokey but for the most part, fun. Pantera, the tall MC (you can't miss him!) is very animated and keeps the audience going. Shooo-pa!!! My husband and I tied for first in a dance contest in which we had to duplicate a dance that was shown to us. It was hilarious! We won t-shirts. :)

One night we were invited to a special dinner for returning guests. The dinner was appetizer, steak, potato and a delicious chocolate dessert. We met the assistant manager, Alejandro Martinez, who spent some time talking to us on a few occasions, and were introduced to Helena Santos, the manager as well. This made us feel rather special and I can tell they appreciated us as guests, even though we had not been to their hotel for many years.

The food: Buffet up front on the Dominicana side was good with lots of variety. There were several things I didn't try but many I did try. The seafood civiche was great! I ate lots of fruit at breakfast and especially enjoyed the pineapple, mango, papaya! They has juices of many kinds, made to order omelets, lots of breads, meats, cheeses and the standard "American" breakfast items as well. My favorite restaurant was the Mexican. The appetizer bar was very good! Don't eat too much or you'll spoil your appetite for your main dish.

The gourmet French restaurant was good also. We had the lobster which was good but not great. We had evening plans to meet another couple to go to the Hard Rock casino so we were unable to stay for the dessert. The other restaurant we ate at was the seafood restaurant near the beach. It was good also but I don't remember what I ordered. Too many "banana mamas" with rum beforehand!

Excursions: We did the Outback Safari one day. This was $115 pp I believe. It was very educational...we visited a Dominican school, a coffee/cocoa farm and the farmer's home, a family that has its own coconut oil business and were able to buy their processed products directly from them. It was very interesting learning and seeing how they do business. Our tour guide, Leandro, was very informative and friendly. We ate lunch of chicken, rice & beans, pasta and veggies, which we were told is a typical Dominican lunch. At the end of the day we went to Macao beach and did boogie boarding, something I'd never done. It was quite fun but my camera's battery had run out by this point so I didn't get any pictures. Be sure to charge your battery before a long day on an excursion! Many of the profits from the Outback Safari trip go to purchasing school uniforms for children in need, as they are required to have uniforms to attend school.

The second excursion called "the Marinarium" was a half day trip of snorkeling and cruising on a catamaran. I believe this was $90 pp. This started out as snorkeling with nurse sharks, stingrays and many other colorful fish. It was pretty fun and we got many pictures which I have yet to develop. One thing though, one of the employees on our boat took my underwater camera and led us to areas with lots of fish and used it to take many pictures of us and the fish. However he used up all the film which I was not happy about, then we felt we needed to give him a tip for his "helpfulness", which we did. But I wasn't happy that he quickly used up all 35 pictures!
After snorkeling the boat heads to an area with many other "party boats" where you can get out in shallow water and are served drinks. There is also some dancing on the boat and they make "Coco Locos" a coconut and rum drink. All in all it was a fun trip. One tip: we didn't purchase our picture holding a stingray, but later I found out you could haggle over the price, which I wish I had done. There is also a CD of all the pictures of the day available which can be haggled over also.

If you decide not to go off the property and just relax...you can do that to. My husband also enjoyed an archery contest and we both played bingo one day. If you've not been to R.D. you have to go! The beaches are amazing!! One tip to saving a chair especially on the beach: don't just leave your towels, leave an unimportant personal item also so there's no discrepancy as to whose chair is whose. We had an issue with this one day.

I want to give a shout out to two special people, Evelyn, the lobby bartender who is so sweet! And to our on-site Apple representative, Louise, who was so helpful with everything!! Thank you!!

We had a great vacation! Would love to go back!

Room Tip: Closer to the beach was better for us...less nighttime noise and a quick walk back to the room if yo...
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Dominicana once again for your vacation and for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your second experience among us.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that our varied gastronomy, excellent service of our friendly staff, our wide entertainment options and the beauty of our premises ensured you “another great vacation” as the title of your publication let us know and as we aim In Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We have congratulated Pantera whose friendliness made a difference during your stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
With regards,

Been to Iberostar Dominicana Hotel? Share your experiences!