“So glad we chose this hotel! (Sept. 16-23rd)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Dominicana Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Higuey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #20 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Akron, Ohio
“So glad we chose this hotel! (Sept. 16-23rd)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Punta Cana and our first stay in an Iberostar Resort. We had been to Cancun and stayed at the Now Sapphire (excellent resort also!) so I was inclined to stick with a Now Resort, especially after reading some of the reviews here, but I also like to try new places and it gives you a comparison. I can definitely say that I am very glad we chose to try the Iberostar Dominicana, and we have already decided we will likely return here next year.
The grounds at this resort are immaculately kept! I am not one to notice landscaping/gardening but this is worth mentioning. There was always a hard-working staff member caring for the property and if they spoke English (most did at least a little) were always eager to share some information about the gardens or trees or whatever...my husband was impressed with the way the worker used the machete to trim the shrubs and enjoyed the mini lesson he gave him in how to use it.
The beach is very clean and we spent most of our days here. Very relaxing and absolutely beautiful! We did go down a little early to get a spot but I don't think it's an issue finding a place.
Our room was very clean and the housekeeping did a wonderful job everyday. We also had towel art almost daily. The room was very cool, no problems with the A/C. There were absolutely no bugs, ants, roaches or whatever else in our room. I actually expected the room to be smaller than it was since we only had a standard garden-view room. It didn't think it was much different from our preferred suite at the Now Sapphire aside from the balcony.
My husband and I both enjoyed the food, with such a large buffet there is something for everyone. We especially enjoyed the fresh mango and passion fruit. I must mention La Siblia because it was truly a gourmet meal, very romantic and they do their best to make it special for you. We had no issues with sickness throughout our stay.
The Star friends and entertainment are great, we didn't see all the shows but the ones we did we're enjoyable. We never made it to the disco but played a little in the Casino, it's nice and cool in there!
Although the entire staff we encountered were absolutely wonderful, there were a few staff members who really stood out for us and I just want to thank them for their excellent service....Hamlet our coffee man, always smiling! Wascar, my dear dinner server who treats you like royalty, my husband's favorite drink server, Yokaira with her dazzling smile and our favorite sommelier, Ricki who chose the perfect wines for us in the a la carte restaurants! We missed him at La Siblia! I cannot forget to mention Cynthia and Louisa at the front desk who were quick to help us with our channels.
All in all, we had a wonderful holiday and though I almost never stay at the same place twice, I think we will be back next year to see our friends at the Dominicana. Keep up the good work!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community.
We are very glad to acknowledge that the friendliness and excellent service of our staff (in especial Cinthia, Luisa, Hamlet, Wascar, Yokaira and Ricki), the cleanness and beauty of our premises and our varied gastronomy met your expectations. Those are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar to ensure our valuable costumers “enjoy being a Star”.
It would be a great to meet you in Iberostar Dominicana again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance.
Sincerely yours,

2,978 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Here is my perspective after staying at the IB Dom for a week mid sept with three other girls all in our late twenties:

This was my first time in punta Cana. West jet service was great. We arrived at the airport, found our bus and left. Flawless. When we arrived at the resort there weren't many others so we didn't have to wait to check in. We got there at 230. We had requested two rooms. One room was ready. Aside from the fact that we got our two rooms they didn't honour any other requests that I had made two weeks prior , specifically joining rooms. However we didn't make a big deal bc we didn't care that much. The other room wasn't ready until after five. I'm sure that would piss some people off but because we had one room we didn't care. The check in staff were very friendly.

Our rooms were clean and nice. Yes they were sort of old and faded but clean and that is what matters to me most. Beds were good enough. I slept like a baby. AC was super cold and had different settings. We tipped our maid first day with a note and she left us lots of water and beer everyday. Shower pressure was fine, no complaints. The fridge wasn't super cold but it was fine. There were some ants but nothing really noticeable. We had a brutal view of a maintenance building but we weren't in our rooms that much and again we didn't care. We didn't break the bank on this vacay so we weren't expecting top of the line luxury.

The maid service was great. No issues.

The beach was fantastic. We always found a spot for four even when we went down at 11. The resort is big and definitely wasn't full. I feel like it would be crazy overwhelming if we went in high season. There were only a few vendors , no problems. The weather was fantastic!!! It only rained twice in the aft and evening but we sat under our palapas and it was awesome!

Starting around three they had beach bar service, the guy always found us and got us drinks! We tipped lots because I always do that on vacation but it never seemed expected.

The drinks were okay. I'm super picky and I hate disgusting liquor. My advice: drink mamajuana in shots or with coke during the day and have name brand liquor by the lobby bars at night.
The wine was gross.

Food: we never ate at the alacarte because reservations were hard to get and we didn't get the times we wanted. I'm sure that would make others upset and I'm sure if we had made a fuss things may have changed but once again, we didn't care. The buffet food was fine. Pasta bar was awesome , two of my trav mates were vegetarian and had no trouble finding lots to eat. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit. We never got sick, we drank water in the buffet , had ice etc... No issues. I also used tap water to brush my teeth etc, no problems. I didn't drink the tap water though.

Night Entertainment was loud. It was nice to people watch. Disco was okay. It was more fun hanging out at the bar outside the disco. Beach party was fun!!! We went off resort to mangu. Taxi was 15 bucks, I tipped 10 and the driver wAited for us for the whole night and then drove us home. Cover was 12. Awesome music super fun mix of locals and tourists. Dominican people are gorgeous!! I recommend going to the club around 2 am , dance till five then come home and watch the sunrise on the beach!

Staff were superb. The male staff were pretty flirty:) but that's okay. There weren't too many other groups of just girls so we stood out a bit. They were very friendly and always wanted to chat. Actually all of the staff were friendly, always said hola . I was super impressed. There were lots of activities but we were too hot to do any of them.

There were a ton of couples of all Ages, a few families with young kids( not many). And some groups of friends. This place isn't party central but you can go off resort to party. However we had fun on the resort as well. There weren't a ton of young singles so this isn't nevessarily the best hook up place but it isn't the worst either.

We didn't spend any time at the pool. But when I did walk by it was pretty quiet.

Some other people have reviewed about the language barrier. One of my friends understands a bit of Spanish so that helped but seriously even if we hadn't had her help, we would have been okay. It's not possible to have deep, extensive conversations but you can get your point across! Most of the star friends had great English!

Basically I wouldn't hesitate to come back here again, although I might try somewhere else just to try something new. I love punta Cana now and can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,
We thank choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for writing a review on Tripadvisor about your experience at our hotel.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we would like to express you how happy we are to acknowledge that the kindness of staff, the variety of our international cuisine, the beauty of our grounds and the wide options for entertainment have ensured you an unforgettable first experience in Punta Cana as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts.
We will be glad to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
Kindest regards,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

my stay at this resort will be a memorable one ive travelled to many many islands in my time and i can sincearly say that this resort is ranked top 5 in my personnel book, the service they treated me with respect espeacially Juan Gomez and Felix Delmonte the whole reception desk not to mention the amazing bell boy Francisco Malitero, the service the cleanliness the food the amazing Entertainment team with the SHUPA guy i forget his name he knows who he is and last butnot least the beautiful clean beach, you know what it was excellent i would recomend this resort to everybody beleive when i say that thanks to everybody great job keep up the good work, i dont know when but i will certainly be back ciao. sept 25 2013 marco picardi.

Room Tip: the junior suites are a good choise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear guests,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and also for taking the time to post a review about your experience among us.
We would like to express how glad we are to read that you felt as a “Star” from the first moment you were welcomed by Francisco, Juan and Felix and we appreciate how you highlighted out to the excellent service provided by our friendly staff. In Iberostar we want our valuable costumers to “enjoy being a Star”.
We kindly ask you to contact us before your next visit; it will be a pleasure for the entire team to welcome you back.
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Before I start my review I would just like to say that Iberostar Punta Cana and Iberostar Dominicana are literally the same hotel. They share the same pools, beach, bars and restaurants. I am unsure why this just isn’t classed as one hotel. The only thing I can think is that Thomson fly out to Iberostar Punta Cana on a Saturday and Thomas Cook fly out mid week to Iberostar Dominicana. I would therefore advise you to book whichever is the cheapest and most convenient for you.

We booked Iberostar Punta Cana with Thomson for our Honeymoon. We told the travel company of this and also emailed the hotel.

CHECK IN – Check in at the Reception was very fast. There was only one other couple that got off the coach with us. We were given two cards for the room and two towel cards. A bellboy then took us to our room with our cases.

ROOMS – Our room was a little smaller than expected and given that the hotel is supposed to be a 5*, I would rate the rooms to be 3*. Don’t get me wrong however, they were very clean and had all we needed given that we only spent time in our room to sleep and get washed/dressed to go out. I would have expected a room that has a 5* rating to maybe have had a luxurious feature such as a Jacuzzi bath or something but as I say this was not a major problem. We did have to pay $2 a day for a safe in the room which I though was a bit silly, all other All Inclusive resorts that I have stayed in in the past just have this included with no surcharge as it’s obvious that you will need a safe for your personal items such as passports etc.

There was a fridge in our room which was restocked every second day, it included beer, soft drinks and plenty of water.

The maid cleaned our room everyday to a high standard and often left our towels decorated in the bathroom and on the bed with flowers which was a nice touch.

POOL AREA – The hotel had a mixture of young couples/young families and older couples. There are times when the pool area is quiet and then it becomes a little more lively when the entertainment staff are working, which was great fun.

We would usually go down for a sunbed at around 8:30, we always found a spot and had no problems.

GROUNDS – The grounds are kept immaculately clean and there are always gardeners looking after the trees/grass, etc. There are also Flamingos and Turtles in the resort which were lovely to see.

STAFF – The Star Friends entertainment team work so so hard and are very friendly and a good laugh. In fact all the staff were lovely and friendly and were willing to engage in conversation, albeit little English is spoken. It is just a little hard if you don’t speak Spanish. We didn’t really know what was going on half of the time but we felt that it was a good atmosphere nonetheless and at the end of the day we chose to go to their resort so why should they speak English! We certainly wouldn’t speak Spanish in England.

We were treated very well because we were on our Honeymoon. On two occasions we had Fruit delivered to our room with a bottle of rum and a bottle of wine. This was a lovely gesture from the hotel.

ENTERTAINMENT – Entertainment day and night was good. The Aqua Aerobics was good fun through the day and very lively. The Michael Jackson show is worth a watch, again the only bad thing is that the shows are in Spanish but like I say, this is their main language and so it should be accepted.

FOOD AND DRINK – There was a good variation of food in the buffet restaurants and they were of above average standard. I wouldn’t give it 5* as to me if it was 5* then it would all be cooked to order etc but for buffet style food id give it at least 4*. Id also like to add that I was NOT ill at all during my stay.

There are two main buffet restaurants for the evening, either Higuey or Hispaniola. For some reason the Hispaniola was always quieter but they both served exactly the same food and we actually thought that the décor in Hispaniola was a lot nicer so we chose to dine in there on most nights. The waiter service in these restaurants was excellent.

We booked all the 5 a la carte restaurants on the day that we arrived with no problems at all. There is Mexican, Oriental, Gourmet (serves lobster), Seafood and Steakhouse. We enjoyed the food on the buffet the best in the Mexican Restaurant. The food in the A La Carte restaurants was more to a 5* level as this was made fresh to order. I would say however that the service in some of the A La Carte restaurants left something to be desired. We had a least 3 different occasions in which the service was very slow and we often were forgotten about and had to catch someone’s eye for them to take the order. In the Mexican restaurant our drinks order was never brought to us for the duration of the meal! We therefore finished up and had to go to the buffet restaurant next door to get ourselves a drink. Whilst in the buffet restaurant one night we were given a questionnaire to fill in about the hotel and we reported about the bad service. The Management picked up on this and called us two days later to speak to us about it. They were very very apologetic and as an apology they invited us to a special romantic dinner at the gourmet restaurant, which was fantastic!

They had an excellent cocktails menu. My favourite was Tropical Coconut. No alcohol through the day and then rum in it on a night. The fruit punch from the machine was also very refreshing whilst in the sun through the day.

SUMMARY – All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Dominican Republic. I would certainly not hesitate to book this hotel again. Overall I would give it 4*. If you want a 5* luxurious hotel then book Iberostar Grand Bavaro, although the price tag will be substantially more!

You have to also pay $10 on entry and $20 on departure per person at the Airport. Be prepared for long queues with no air con at the Airport on the way home!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana Hotel for you holidays and for taking time to write some comments about your stay among us.
We want to express you how satisfied we are to read that from the first moment you came into our premises the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, our varied gastronomy, the wide options for daily and nightly entertainment and the cleanness and beauty of our premises ensured you a memorable experience as we aim in Iberostar despite the service at the Mexican restaurant for which we extend once again our apologies.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any request you might need before your next visit.
New Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited this resort Sept. 2012 and at the last minute decided to go back again this year for our wedding anniversary. I can say that my husband and I are not ones who need a lot of attention, or complain about stupid stuff like the food choices or whatever. This resort is on the beach, it has a lot of great things to it. My purpose of the review this years was only to tell any the difference that we experienced from one year to the next. They have been doing renovations that last 2 years, where it could annoy other people we weren't overly concerned about it, with my husband in the construction business things like this don't bother us. We did see a lot more of the "Staff" drinking alcohol at the pool, which I didn't think was very professional, there was clearly less staff members there on site then last year, we didn't find it as clean but that would be due to less staff to do the work. The entertainment was horrible every single night, and this was something that we have never come into contact with, with Iberostar resorts, we have stayed at many of them, find them to be awesome....again this did not really upset us as we don't need others to entertain us. You could just tell they didn't have the same staff, and they were just trying to figure it all out, some good advice for them, go back to what works, you don't need to change it..We met the manager once again this year, she is a very lovely lady and was eager to speak to us. Of course the language issue is really hard if you are from the United States, they really could use more staff that can understand English. I love this property this year it was just a little short on there standards, they didn't even have the fountains flowing which just is an added bonus to the property....if you are a high end kinda person then this resort would not be good for you, but for those of us that enjoy a nice relaxing resort that we don't need others to make sure we are having a great time, then this is a perfect place to vacation......hope this helped

Room Tip: all rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we thank you for your loyalty when you chose Iberostar Dominicana as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write some comments about your recent stay among us.
We appreciate your feedback about our hotel services and facilities. Our Management team is aware of the importance of listening to the voice of our customers and we have informed all concerning departments your remarks about their performance and we are taking the corrective measure to ensure we deliver the level of quality expected by our valuable costumers. We want to express how sorry we are to read that our services were not at the heist of your expectations this time.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
Bury St Edmunds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I'm at a loss to know why anyone can rate this hotel badly. We have travelled to many hotels within and close to the Caribbean and this has to be right up their as the best. The attention to detail around the whole complex from the food to the length of the grass or the hedges is second to none.
The hygiene of the food areas was exceptional and the wide range of foods in the buffet areas was completely surprising as their was something for everyone's pallet, the waiters were so efficient as they had a system of squeaking like birds chirping to each other to make sure no one was left without drinks or anything else they would like, nothing was too much trouble for them. You could choose from all label brands for drinks and even if you wished they would serve champagne in the main buffet.
The beach was very clean and has a lifeguard at pretty much all times and has volleyball and football facilities available also.

The rooms were extremely comfortable with plenty of space on the split levels and a balcony, the bathroom was a good size with not only a large glass walk in shower but a bath also. Definitely a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read your motivating publication referring the cleanness of our premises, the variety of our gastronomy and the excellent service of our friendly staff. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our grounds.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance you may need before your return.
Best regards,
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was my second visit to the DR and my first to Punta Cana. I travelled to this resort with one of my good friends for a little relaxation and fun times which coincided with my birthday celebration.

Right from our departure from Toronto (via WestJet) we had no problems. We were greeted with a drink upon arrival and got a room which was close to La Marimba (close to the beach). The staff were fantastic...special mention to Alicia (our cleaning lady), Hamlet (coffee guy at Higuey), Ramon (server at La Cana), Leo (towel guy), Juan (front desk staff), A Augustine (I can't remember his first name, but he took care of the chairs/cushions at the pools), Winnie/Ezekiel/Jahnna/Black Panther (from the Star Friends team). The list can go on because everyone was always super helpful and friendly. I'm sorry if I missed anyone.
We had tropical storm Gabrielle come by to visit us for a few days, but there was always something going on at the resort.

I would recommend the Outback safari excursion offered through Hola tours. It was a nice way to get a feel for the DR along with "happy hour" 24/7 and a great Dominican meal. Cost is $90US/pp.

Our room was great, always kept clean and comfy beds.

The disco was usually busy and had a mix of top 40 plus latin music. The Star friends always were kind enough to dance salsa/bachata/merengue (which is what we were looking for). To dance with more locals, we ventured off nearby to "Pacha" a disco on the Riu complex (free cover every day except Wed where it is $3US). We also checked out "Mangu" located at the Occidental Grande (we had to take a $15 taxi ride over). Cover was $12 (included a drink). Music included electronic/pop/latin. Lastly, we checked out a small bar called "escape" that's where we got to dance bachata all night long with locals :)

We tried La Pagoda (oriental), La Cana (steakhouse on the beach where I had my bday dinner) and La Sibila (French) a la carte restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food, attention to detail and customer service at each of the locations. We were treated like queens!
Out of the 6 all inclusive vacations I have done over the years, this was my best experience.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Punta Cana....and the Iberostar dominicana to anyone.

I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your birthday and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that your birthday celebration as the whole stay was unforgettable due to the friendliness of our staff, our varied cuisine and the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar we want our valuable costumers to “enjoy being a Star” and have congratulated all those staff members you mentioned in your publication.
We are waiting for your next visit and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your return.
Best regards,

Been to Iberostar Dominicana Hotel? Share your experiences!