“Absolutely superb vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Dominicana Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Higuey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #22 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Absolutely superb vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just returned from a first-time vacation to the Dominican Republic; selected this resort through comments from Trip Advisor travellers; our 10-day stay booked with Sunwing was absolutely superb! Vacations at a resort have to meet several criteria: cleanliness, comfort, personnel, selection and quality of food and beverages. We were not disappointed; to name just a few people would not be fair as the entire staff was courteous, friendly, accommodating, helpful, and always SMILING! The buffets always had something for everyone; being Italian, I was most impressed with fresh mozzarella, bocconcini, ricotta, and Serrano ham (prosciutto); they even had carpaccio! The chef/cook even made me egg whites! The members of this resort work really hard to provide an enjoyable vacation for their guests from the wait staff, to the chamber maids, to the Star Friends that always mingled with the guests to ensure a great time. We even attended Mass on Sunday at designated room. I only wish resorts could come up with a lounge designation program the same way they issue towel cards; too many people "reserve" lounge chairs at 7:00 a.m. and never use the chairs until late morning; numerous chairs are left vacant for hours. I know this is difficult to administer, but it's just not fair as we are all paying guests and the comfort of a lounge is a necessity! Thank you to all the people that made our stay here memorable. Compliments to the manager, Helena for running a very smooth operation!

Room Tip: There are several "blocks" of buildings with pathways through the manicured lawns. We had...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we would like to thank you for posting your review about your experience at Iberostar Dominicana and for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We are very pleased to read that our varied gastronomy, our beautiful premises and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff not only ensured you a memorable holiday but also met your expectations based on the reviews posted by other “stars” on Tripadvisor. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service.
On the other hand, we have shared your suggestions regarding the reservations of sunbeds on the beach. We will be working on finding a solution that does not disturb our beloved costumers.
We are willing to welcome you back again, please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit

3,043 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a vacation to Punta Cana thru Cheap Caribbean. We stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana for a week February 3-9 2013. The check in process went very smooth and the room they gave us was very nice. It was a supposed upgrade to a junior suite. There is a lot of walking at this resort from your room to the pool to the restaurants to the beach. But after all the eating that you do it works out pretty good. All the staff are great and make you feel special. We spent most of our time on the fantastic beach opposed to the pool. We went to a couple of the shows which were entertaining. The biggest problem was that because of the blizzard on the east coast. I called Cheap Caribbean to find out what we should do because there were no flights in or out. We managed to get on a flight by calling USAirways but it wasn't until Feb 12th. Cheap Caribbean told us to go to he front desk as they would be better to assist us. Olympus Tours is Cheap Caribbean's tour operator in Punta Cana so we got in touch with them as well. They told us we were all set with staying in our room for another 3 nights at a distressed rate. They told us to now go back to the front desk which we did. The front desk had no idea what we were talking about. We dealt with all of this for about 4 hours. We kept getting the run around from the hotel and Olympus Tours. We waited until 6 pm that night until they found us a room. It was not at Iberostar. We had to move the next day to The Tropical Princess. We were grateful to get a room at this point. But going from a five star Iberostar to about a 3 star Tropical Princess was a huge disappointment. It pretty much ruined the last days of our vacation. Even though the Tropical Princess was nice and we had an Ocean view room, it did not compare to Iberostar,especially the beach area. The beach was full of cigarette butts. I highly recommend the Iberostar resorts, just hopefully you don't need to stay extra nights!

Room Tip: The bungalows closest to the beach is where we stayed and loved it but it is a good walk to the buff...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all we thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Dominicana. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we also thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very happy to read that you and your boyfriend have enjoyed a memorable holiday despite the issues related to the snow storm Nemo. In Iberostar our guiding principles are to offer a unique gastronomy, to provide the best service and to upkeep our facilities. We appreciate you positive valuation in these areas.
It would be a great pleasure to meet you in Iberostar once again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance prior your arrival.
Best regards,
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My girlfriend and I had an all-around great trip to Punta Cana. One nearly life-changing incident, however, made us really aware of just how dangerous the country is!

We loved staying at the Iberostar Dominicana. We found the staff to be really nice and the beach was just amazing, as detailed in most of the reviews here. Our only issue was that some of the buffet food was not that great (pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs tasted weird); def not up to the standards of the last cruise which we went on.

We went on two excursions: (1) a catamaran to Saona Island, which I would highly recommend; and (2) a 1-hr horseback ride with Rancho Cabanero.

To make a long story short, two natives tried to rob us while we were on the horseback ride. We reserved the horseback ride from an Iberostar Dominicana rep near the pool and scheduled it for Sunday afternoon. We started at the horse farm and rode through a few rural roads and ended up on the beach. After riding a couple miles on the beach, we turned away from the water to a narrow 4-ft wide path, which was covered by trees. After about a quarter mile on the path, we arrived at a small sandy area that overlooked where a small river connected to the ocean. We stopped for a few minutes while our tour guide took pictures of each of us on our horses. We began riding back through the path on our way back to the beach. I was first, my gf second, and the tour guide third. About halfway through the path, a guy with a huge 4-ft long log, which was sharpened like a pencil, stepped out onto the path. I was pretty startled, but immediately knew this wasn’t good. My horse pulled back as the guy stepped directly in front of me. He stepped to my left side, swung the log, and hit me as hard as he could across my back, as to try and knock me off the horse. I looked to my right immediately after he swung and remember seeing another guy hiding in the brush with a huge knife! When I saw this guy, I realized that we were in pretty big trouble. The next second, though, I realized that our tour guide had already jumped off of his horse and had wrestled the log away from the guy who hit me. He chased that guy away and luckily, the guy with the knife followed his partner.

When we got back to hotel, we told the front desk and they seemed to take it pretty seriously. We ended up speaking with 4 or 5 managers in all. The one thing that really bothered us was that they told us the horse farm tried to explain the attack away by saying the attackers had a problem with our tour guide. I’m pretty sure this is incorrect, given that we asked the guide right after the attack if he knew them and he said he didn’t. He also said that those kinds of attacks occurred every once in a while. I think the horse farm company was just saying that b/c it wouldn’t be great business for them if people were trying to attack their tourists.

In any case, I’d def think twice about going off of the resort property! I’m about 5-10, 200lbs and in pretty good shape and can’t imagine what would’ve happened if (1) I were any smaller or (2) the attacker had hit my girlfriend instead.

Room Tip: We had a view of the garden and that was just fine, given that we were not in the hotel room that of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay at Iberostar Dominicana.
On the behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, and her team, we would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge your positive valuation about our premises, gastronomy and services. In Iberostar we are committed to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
On the other hand, we regret to hear the incidences regarding your excursions. Our Management Team was very worried from the first moment they received the information and has been in contact with the Companies involved so we prevent situations of this nature for our valuable costumers.
We kindly invite you to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance,
With kindest regards,
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 weeks, Jan 23 to Feb 6 and enjoyed our trip very much. We had stayed on the Iberostar Punta Cana side about 8 years ago so we kind of knew the resort layout and beach. We were not disappointed as the resort was just as good as we had remembered. Great food, fantastic beach (can walk for miles in either direction) and great entertainment. The adjoining golf course was a big change from our last visit there. I didn't play a round but it looked in great shape.

Did some snorkeling off the beach just to the right of the dive shop and it was ok as there is a small reef there. I went on the snorkeling trip to swim with the Sharks and Stingrays and that trip was great. The dive shop offers a day long snorkeling excursion to the south side of the island for $100 which I think would have been a nice trip for a day as well.

The one thing I wasn't crazy about was having to get up a little early to reserve a chair with shade at the beach. There are a lot of palapas and lots of chairs but unless you reserve one by 8:00 am you will likely be sitting in the sun all day. The pool doesn't get booked as fast as the beach chairs

That is my only small complaint, otherwise I would recommend this resort very highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Dominicana once again for holidays. In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we also thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your second stay among us.
We would like to express how pleased we are to hear that you had enjoyed another unforgettable experience among us after so many years from your first visit. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service and to offer a varied gastronomy. We are happy to read your valuation of both aspects of our services. We kindly ask you to write us before your next visit; it will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back.
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel is situated on very well maintained grounds--just wish there were more tropical flowers. The food was much better than I expected---especially the speciality restaurants. The room--a jr. suite-- was pleasant, if not a little dated. I'm not a "drinker"- but if you wish, you could imbibe all you would like. The staff was 100% respectful and wonderful--from the check in to the wait staff to the maid service.

Room Tip: I was in a 2 story jr. suite (2nd floor)--far enough from any evening noise--but a short walk to the...
Dear guest,
Thank you for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Dominicana. In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we also thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
It is a pleasure for us to hear that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff members, and the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service of our “Stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again; please feel free to contact us before your arrival.
Kindest regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I'm returning to this resort in two weeks......this will be my third time. Bringing the parents again (who absolutely loved it). Beach is the best in the Caribbean, hotel is great, food and drinks are fabulous, entertainment is great - what more can you ask for????? Can't Wait.....
Anna W.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,
We thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Dominicana as the destination for your vacations and for taking the time to post a review about your previous experiences.
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team; we would like to express how glad we are to read that you have lived two memorable experiences at our hotel premises which is our goal in Iberostar.
We hope to meet your expectations this time and remain at your disposition for further assistance.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very pleased with there well coming and very satisfied with the hotel room, and resort would defenitly go again and again, we have been guest to the Iberostars for 13 years.

Colette & Rick

Room Tip: We were in a suite so not sure what to say
Dear Guest,
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay among us.
We would like to express how honored we are to read that once again you had a memorable experience at Iberostar Dominicana due to the friendliness of our staff. In Iberostar, as you have experienced several times, we aim to ensure unforgettable stays to our beloved “Stars”.
We will be happy to welcome you back; please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,

Been to Iberostar Dominicana Hotel? Share your experiences!