“First time to DR! Iberostar is STAR quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Dominicana Hotel to your Saves list
Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro | Higuey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #18 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Alberta
“First time to DR! Iberostar is STAR quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was our first time to Dominican Republic, we have gone to Mexico several times. We picked Iberostar because they were in the top 12 on tripadvisor. We went with another couple Dec 1 - 10 through Westjet vacations. Don't forget the $10 visitor card Westjet gives you while in flight because when you arrive at the airport, if you don't have it, you pay $10. RIght after that, go straight thru the airport to your designated representative with signs. Their are tons of locals that are aggressive and try to grab your luggage, just to have any reason for a tip. Our bus ride was about 30 mins to the resort. The weather was around 28-29 C with one day of heavy rain, a few cloudy days but still hot and wonderful.
The lobby was large and very clean, we were welcomed with these amazing fruit punch drinks and almost no lineup. Goofy was our concierge and showed us to our rooms, he was very informative and speaks 5 languages! There were lots of shops within the hotel you can purchase souvenirs and a casino, drugstore, etc. We had a meeting with our WestJet rep (Hola Tours) the next morning to discuss the departure details and excursions you might want to do. Carlos was the best rep we've ever had during our all inclusive vacations. He provided excellent service, went out of his way to make us happy and gave us pointers while in DR. We could not have had a better rep than Carlos.
Our room was on the ground floor and we had a king size bed. And wow the bed was very comfortable. You can turn on A/C if you wanted, which we had on every night. The safe you have to pay $2/day which I thought was inexpensive. The bathroom has a hair dryer. All the plugs are compatible with North American plugs so we didn't have to use an adaptor.
We bought 60 internet minutes for $10 where you went into an Internet Cafe.
You get a towel card when you check in and redeem for a towel between 9 - 6 by the pool. You can always keep the towel for a couple days and/or swap it for a clean one.
One of my favourite things about the resort was the music. They usually played latin music - mostly merengue and bachata but salsa too! It really makes your stay feel exotic.
The food was great, lots of variety. I don't know how some reviewers said they could not find anything they liked - there were 7 different restaurants!! You're only allowed 3 a la carte bookings per 7 days, so since we stayed for 10 days, we were allowed 4 reservations. Most of the a la cartes had a appetizer buffet bar too. What was great about going with 3 other people, we all chose different dishes so we could split them and share amongst all.
Some days they had paella parties between the pool and ocean. And everyday they had a table with real squeezed juice (pineapple, watermelon, etc) with a selection of alcohol to add into it, so thirst quenching!
Buffet - there were always a couple choices open at the same time so you could food hop and get the best of both worlds. Lots of american foods like burgers, pasta, pizza, rice, etc.
Seafood - the salmon was delicious. And order the caramel creme desert, it's just like Creme Brûlée, soo good! Buffet during the day, reserved at night, right along the beach.
Oriental - the sushi was good, my sweet & sour dish was different from what I'm used to back home. My husband who is a picky eater (meat & potatoes man) enjoyed his Duck ragout. Located in the Bavaro side of the resort, took us a few extra minutes to find this place.
Steakhouse - is a buffet at lunch, reserved for dinner, beautiful location outside on the beach. Three of us ordered Medium Rare, but they were all differently cooked. The food was good but the least favourite out of all of the other restaurants.
Gourmet - The steak here was better than at the Steakhouse. I had the lobster which was good, followed by a cold dessert soup which tasted like vanilla, very good
Star Rock Cafe - the only a la carte restaurant that you don't need reservations for, and you can go as many times as you want. I think they were much inspired by Hard Rock Cafe with a large TV Screen for watching sports. The nachos with guacamole was great.
Pool
The only down side was that there was no swim up bar for us lazy people, but it was still very close to the pool. You could try out Scuba for free for 15 minutes which I enjoyed since I've never done it before. Lots of daily activities including aerobics, salsa lessons, spanish lessons, bingo, etc. But my husband and I love the ocean so we spent most of our time there.
Ocean
The resort has huts which was a big plus for us, we did not want to burn like we have in the past. Whenever we went to the beach, we always found a lounge chair. The hotel does not allow people to save chairs by putting towels down but I don't think they checked up on it.
Everyday we saw topless women...most of them should not have been topless.
There is seaweed, you can't escape it but the staff is always raking to maintain it. The sand felt like silk and the water was a beautiful turquoise colour. There were waves but not enough to go boogie boarding. I did get a bad case of sand bug bites, and even after I got back home, new bites were coming up all over my legs and it was torture not to scratch them. You can't avoid them if you like the beach and ocean, you don't notice until later in the evening when it starts to itch, which is why they're called No See Ums. Bring after bite or hydrocortesoid cream.
You can take out a kayak for free, and if you pay for Catamaran lessons at the beginning of the trip, you can take it out for free every day.
Resort was always clean, restaurants scrubbed the grills each night, pools were clean. Service was top notch. We never encountered a rude or unhappy employee. No mosquitoes, saw a cockroach and a snail, both outside while walking on the grounds. But as my husband and I are non-smokers, we did not enjoy all the smokers throughout the resort, we could not escape walking through someone's smoke whenever we were in the lobby.
Entertainment
The evening shows were different every day and changed every week. It starts at 8:15 for kids, then 9:45 for adults which does contain sexual content so you may not want to take your kids. We enjoyed all the shows, the Latin show was my favourite, felt very Vegas like. The resort could improve on their pre-show which included various screenings of cartoons like Ice Age right before showgirl entertainment.
The Disco DC-6 was not happening at all! The night we went in, there was only a few people, playing pop music and the space was small. Atmosphere was not there.
There also was a Teenie Club for 13- 18 year olds to hang out and play video games or whatever.
Excursions
They do not recommend leaving the resort on your own for safety and security reasons other than with group tours. We did not like this because we like to have the freedom to go wherever we want to go whenever but not in Punta Cana.
We brought professional bodyboards (boogie boards) with us, cost extra to bring a 2nd baggage item $75 going there, but $20 coming back (explain that?). We were disappointed that the waves were too small. But we did research back home and it said that Macao beach has great waves, even a surf school. Fortunately we were able to go one day. Unfortunately for us, we went the next day after the heavy rain, which meant the waves were insanely strong and too powerful. But this was our only day to go out of the resort so we attempted to swim up to the waves. Well I must say, the waves kicked our butts, we would progress a couple feet then the waves would push us back 5 feet and on and on this went. Eventually we rode on the little waves and got in around 2-3 good rides.
Booked a trip to Saona Island thru Carlos for $99 US- it is claimed to be the best beach in DR. We took a catamaran which was paradise, then arrived at a secluded beach where they only let a certain amount of tourists go at one time. The domestic drinks were free and there was a free BBQ lunch. I recommend shopping here because it was way cheaper than the Beach Market by Iberostar (I'll get to that soon). The water was clear and calm, no waves here. We also bought a coconut to drink from a hawker there, it was so refreshing! After a couple hours relaxing here, we took a speedboat to what they say is a 'natural swimming pool out in the middle of the ocean' which was really only 50 feet from the shore. And the picture in the brochure made it look like there was gonna be tons of fish and when we got there, it was as clear as a pool and not ONE fish. Eventually someone found a starfish, but I think it was planted there so they could say there was something to see. So we continued on the speedboat back to starting point dock and bus to resort.
Imagine Disco - Just a little fact: In DR, Nightclubs are strip clubs and Discos are night clubs to us. Anyways, we booked a night excursion with Carlos (for $40 includes transportation and 2 drinks, $60 includes transportation and unlimited drinks.) The bus picked us up at 11 pm, Imagine looks like a castle from the outside, then you walk down to a natural cave where the disco is, very cool! There were a couple 'rooms' that played different music but I loved the latin room. We were to be picked up at 4 am (no choice) to be taken back to the resort.
Beach Market
It's about 5 minute walk from the resort, probably about 30 vendors crammed into this market. Be warned: they are SHARKS. The vendors are very aggressive and fight for you to see their merchandise first. They give you free gifts like necklaces, bracelets, or key chains to make you feel guilty and buy something. Their prices are so ridiculous you can't help but laugh. I managed to buy a necklace for a quarter of their starting price. And they shake your hands, welcome you as 'family' and show you their kids pictures in their wallets. Larimar is their national stone, so they sell lots of larimar and amber jewelry.
Overall: I highly recommend this hotel, I have never felt safer on the resort. The staff are amazing and friendly. We were in the ocean every day I loved it! Great for couples and families. Lots of things to do and shows to watch, places to shop, gamble and drink!

Room Tip: I usually prefer rooms on the second floor or above for security reasons but this hotel we were on t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

2,771 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Polish first
Sudbury, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at the Dominicana from 12/22/12 to 12/29/12. This was our first visit to the Iberostar property in the Dominican Republic and we look forward to returning. Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay that was consistent with our experiences at other Iberostar hotels, particularly in Mexico.

The facilities are in very good condition and the grounds are immaculate and well-maintained, which seems to be very typical for Iberostar. The property is extensive (there are four Iberostar hotels located here) and we enjoyed long walks on the property as well as on the beach. Walkways are well lit at night. There are shops along an interior street that connects to the beach. This hotel has a very hard-working grounds and wait staff.

Our adjoining junior suites had more than adequate space overall (though the bathrooms were on the small side) with good seating areas (two built-in sofas in each suite), functional desks, minibars and very comfortable terraces. The beds were comfortable and bedding seemed relatively new.

Staff were exceptionally warm and friendly. The buffets were fine with plenty of fresh salads, fruits, vegetables and a variety of fish and meats. The Mexican restaurant was particularly good. On Christmas Eve there was a very nice surprise celebration and we enjoyed a special buffet dinner; the staff went all out to make this a memorable experience.

There are two very large, mirror-image pool complexes that had an ample number of well-shaded chairs available. We never had a problem finding a spot for 3 people at any time during a 7-day stay, even though the hotel seemed booked close to full. . It was absolutely great to not need to hunt for pool chairs at 6:30 in the morning, as has often happened to us during winter trips. The pools themselves were wonderful, never crowded, and water temperature was always perfect. This is an area in which Iberostar does exceptionally well and the Dominicana is no exception.

The complex is located on a fine walking beach that is just moderately sloped and we enjoyed being able to walk a good distance from the hotel site. Beach chairs were abundant.

The shows were fine and we were greatly impressed by the exceptionally talented dancers who performed nightly.

The only problem we encountered during the stay was minor. Every other day during our stay at least one of our key cards failed and this happened for both rooms. Cards were promptly and courteously replaced, except for one day when the staff member at the front desk seemed somewhat grumpy about having to deal with this. The manager called me to discuss this particular incident and her interest was much appreciated. At times when we were walking past the front desk we heard other guests asking for new cards as well. I suspect that the hotel is not keeping track of how many times they need to re-code or replace cards; the cards we had were somewhat worn and I would suggest that the facility should only issue new cards at check-in and then discard after check out.

Bottm Line: This is a great hotel that I rate as a solid 4-star property. The facility is well managed and has very good, highly attentive staff that are happy to be there and to help you. We enjoyed our stay very much and can't wait to get back!

Room Tip: Junior suites are in separate 8-unit buildings and are a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chapin, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned home yesterday. We have had a wonderful time at Iberostar Dominicana.
The staff is very friendly. The beach/pool activity crew is very energetic and entertaining. Beautiful beach and pool area with plenty of chairs and shade.
The buffet food is good, though we did not get a chance to try the other a la carte restaurants.
I agree with the other reviews in that the Wednesday night vendors are too pushy and aggressive to the extent that you are turned off and have no interest in looking at their goods.
I think the orientation desires improvement. We didn't know we needed to meet with a representative from the travel agency. As a result we were not aware of some of the amenities the resort had to offer. We did not know that there was a bus to/from the airport.
The one complaint I have is the room was not ready when it was supposed to when we first arrived.
All is all it was good experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the disco dance area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Sk.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My second time at the resort, but my boyfriend's first, and it won't be the last. The beach is gorgeous and the snorkelling is good in front of the Bavaro side where the small patch reefs are close to the shore. Needless to say the hotel room was spic and span each day, and on the top floor it was quite private. As before, the food was stupendous, and the staff could not have been more delightful, attentive and personal, from delivering drinks at the beach to serving coffee at breakfast. Juana, Rosa and Nelson in the restaurant on the Punta Cana side are good examples of the wonderful personajes who took care to make our vacation so much fun, but many others come to mind. The a la carte restaurants were excellent too. We found we enjoyed the evening music and ambiance on the Punta Cana side, but the bar on the Dominicana side was great and they made sure we had a final mamajuana to sip while waiting for the bus back to the airport. Iberostar knows the secret, and obviously that involves building a terrific team of individuals perfectly focused on ensuring a great time. What's especially impressive is that staff remembered me from my visit two years ago, how lovely is that! If you are looking for a place to Stay, Iberostar is it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ottawa, ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was our 1st family trip to Domincan, as we normally go to Mexico. We have always stayed at 5 star plus resorts, and have always stayed with RIU resorts. We went with another family, and just loved it! The staff was incredible.. They were so helpful, happy and full of energy! Our son had a special bond with one of the waiters Victor. Such an nice guy, my son ( 6 yrs old ) looked forward to going to the buffet just to see his new buddy.
We were there for our oldest son's birthday, and we felt like it was the best bday celebration we've had yet ( 2 other bday in mexico)
There a guy in the lobby before the dinner restaurant opens who calls out to people to get your drinks, we loved the happy atmosphere that he created "uuhhoohhhh"! LOL made it fun!
Room was clean
Beach was beautiful
pools - very nice, and they put in a child inflatable in one of the pools, our kids loved this! although we hoped for a pool with swim up bar
a la carte restaurants- very good, but fill up too fast
entertainment- was ok
beach entertainment was very fun

We almost give this resort a 5 except the food was not over the top, and no swim up bar so 4.5/5
We are in the process of looking for the best deal to go back in March bringing even more people this time.
We absolutely recommend this resort and have been converted to Iberostar!

Room Tip: the building close to the pool is the best for location
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just returned two days ago. I had a great vacation. There is so much to do and a great beach. Check in was speedy. Staff are SUPER friendly but No upgrades offered. I'm not picky and my room wasn't horrible so I kept it. At first, the furniture in the room area seemed old. However, upon the further inspection I realised that they were painted to look like furniture in a Dominican household. The bathroom was pretty nice. It wasn't noisy and I slept well. I was told that all rooms had a garden view.

ROOM CONS:
There were two beds? The floor by could have used a-mop by one bed and there was a pillow that looks questionable so I didnt sleep on that one. There were a couple parts in the bathroom that need re-painting. One day I got a dirty towel which was immediated exchanged. I was on the second floor and I have seem tiny aunts by the coffee/tea area. Immediately, sprayed them and after the first night I saw very few of them. But, its hard to avoid some exposure to bugs. It's The Caribbean!! The HUGE cockroach that I saw during my last night was NOT cool. Reception did send someone to kill it and I recieved roach spray...Hope I didn't bring thing home with me :-(. Having said this, the grounds are stunning and well kept.

> Restaurants:
I liked the buffet, great selection. I usually ate the lunch at the buffet near the pools. It was good. Remember to ask for your meat well-done. Based on my experience, the reviews about the French restaurant being the best are true. Lots of space and lots of non-smoking space.
Beach/Pool:
It's not as pretty as the Grenadines... Lol. Having said that it's awesome. Nice sand and waves, at times a little rough, but I am a good swimmer and usually swam pretty far out. No problems getting a beach chair. I preferred to go to the beach around 7 a.m. to see the sun rise or to watch the sunset around 6 p.m. as there was almost no one was there and I got great shots. I also went during the day and enjoyed falling asleep at the beach, rarely harrassed by vendors. You can walk for miles, there is a market about a 30 minute walk away. Didn't swim in the pool, seemed to be busier and who choses a pool over the beach???

Excursions:
I paid $90 Canadian for the Saona Excursion (through Sun out tours) and $89 for Santo Domingo (throught Sunwing). They were both AWESOME and I made friends as well as met other solo travellers/couples. The excursions are great because they include several parts. For instance, the trip to Saona included a speed boat trip, a visit to a natural pool, Saona island, a beach barbeque and party on a catamaran.

Initially, I was told $50 for parasailing, but I refused that offer and got it down to $35. As a solo traveller do not pay more than that. For instance, I found out that a couple was charged $50 and four people were charged $70. So, in the end, I feel that I was charged a bit more, but it wasn't horrible.

Night life. The disco was ok. I went once, I hear that if you want a real merengue/salsa party you have to leave the resort. But as a solo traveller, I opted not to do that. I know of an American tourist who did and he said it was fine. If you go on the Santo Domingo tour you will stop at Conuco where you can see traditional dances and taste Dominican food.

In short, YES I would return but I would ask for the room to be fumigated and confirm that there is only 1 bed.

Room Tip: 1. Tip the workers! 2. Go on an excursion and see a bit of the island. 3. The property is not well...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana for the third time this year. This hotel is great, has very friendly staff and management, and we look forward to returning again. I travelled November 14 - 21, 2012.
Some of the areas that still need improvement:
1. The evening shows/entertainment needs work. I think this is noticed by others as well in their reviews. The choreography is just way too basic, not in sync, and obviously not crowd pleasing. I know in one of my earlier reviews this year I mentioned that their sound system was terrible, and this has definitely improved.
2. The gym has had one elliptical machine and 1 treadmill machine broken since I was first there in May 2012. I'm not sure why it is not getting fixed, however at 7am every morning the gym is absolutely full and it would be nice if two more cardio machines were available.
3. I agree with the other reviewers about the Wednesday night vendors. I am a female, in my late twenties, and it does get uncomfortable walking past them. Almost to a point where you try to turn corners and re-route your path to the buffet, just so you don't have to pass by them. I really hope that the hotel management looks into this and tells them to back off. I think that they would have more people viewing their items/display if they just leave guests alone and allow them to walk up to the tables without any harrassment.
4. The drinks are not made with blenders. I think this is the first 5 star all-inclusive resort that I've been to that doesn't make all their drinks from scratch upon order. I like to enjoy my frozen margaritas actually frozen and blended. But here they didn't use blenders, not for their frozen margaritas anyway. I know that at the Iberostar Tucan in Mexico they use blenders for all their icy frozen drinks so I'm not exactly sure why not here.
5. The a la carte restaurants I was okay with except that when I went to the La Sibila, I ordered a lobster, and I ended up getting the same lobster meal that I ordered at the "Mediterranean" restaurant the night before, only it was named differently. So, I think perhaps re-evaluating their menus and making sure there are no duplications would be a good idea.

Some of the pros and what keeps me coming back:
1. The restaurant staff. They absolutely work hard and do a wonderful job. From breakfast to dinner, these people get to know you and remember what you like and have it by your side within seconds of sitting down. Truly treat you like a 'star'. Would like to say a special thanks to all the wait staff at the dominicana and punta cana buffetts.
2. The beautiful beach. Absolutely gorgeous and kept clean and free of seaweed.
3. The gardens. Again, also kept very clean and beautiful. Makes for a beautiful scenic walk to and from the room and back to main part of hotel.
4. Average pool activities, but still fun and entertaining. Really enjoy the paella party, with the management-guest meet and greet which I believe happens on Tuesdays @ noon.
5. Staff/Management very friendly with the guests .It feels like a home away from home.

Overall, we always have a great time and enjoy ourselves at the Iberostar. Always look forward to going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience in our hotel.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, and her team, we would like to express how honored we are to read that the beauty of our premises, the service of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy has ensured you six memorable holidays. As you have experienced, in Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service as well as to upkeep our grounds. We are pleased to read your positive valuation about those matters.
On the other hand, we have shared your concerns with the corresponding departmental heads so we can work to offer the level of service expected by our guests especially those lines referring the vendors during Wednesday evening.
We are already waiting for your next visit, please contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,

Been to Iberostar Dominicana Hotel? Share your experiences!