“Think twice and you will get ill!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Bavaro Suites

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Bavaro Suites to your Saves list
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #19 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Think twice and you will get ill!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

If like us you saw that two weeks of sun in Europe would cost the same as the Dominican.....have a serious think about what you will get, it's not what the pictures show my friends!

The beaches are first class, the sea warm and the sun is heavenly.....now the buts.

You will have stomach troubles, the food menus are repetitive (boring), excursions are the only thing to do off the resort (disappointing and little staged) and the locals are friendly but it seems mostly to allow them to get at your cash.

I get the feeling it's a place big corporations have tapped into for cheap land and labour. They build a functioning resort then ship you in on mass.

The resort is ok but tired and no amount of painting or cleaning will change the fact it needs in areas a face lift or redevelopment.

My advice if you like lots of booze, food and doing nothing then it could be for you...but you'll need a strong stomach that copes with upsets and poor hygiene standards.

If you want to relax, feel safe, wander into town, etc, don't go you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for having chosen Iberostar Bavaro for your vacation and for taking time to send us a feedback trough Tripadvisor about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov and his team, we would like to express you how much we regret to read your lines referring the quality, preparation, presentation and hygiene of the dishes we serve at our nightly themed buffet and five a la carte restaurants. In Iberostar Hotels and Resorts we take Hygiene seriously in every of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide. In Iberostar Bavaro we follow the strict sanitary procedures and recommendations based not only on the Dominican Republic’s Regulations, but also by Saniconsult, a Spanish Company which is our external consulter for hygiene. Our quality control department constantly checks that all regulations and recommendations as long as HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) procedures are strictly followed by all staff members to reduce and eliminate potential risks with the food handling. We are deeply sorry to read that you left our premises with a different idea in mind.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance or question you might have concerning our quality.
With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Polish first
Dazzling Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

It has taken me some time to get around to this so I will give it to you fast and straight to the point.
There is not such thing as premium liquor unless you see it in the pictures and then maybe you see some Absolute here and there. YOU CANNOT DRINK THE TAP WATER and must drink bottled water...so are you washing dishes in the water and making ice with bottle water? All I know is we all had G.I. issues after 5 days of mediocre food. I have never understood why when you go to foreign resorts they do not offer their countries native cuisine as an option. The gnats, bees and flies ate more than we did.
The staff was overworked underpaid and expected to work 7-10 days straight and put on a HAPPY FACE...not the best attitudes and they do expect TIPS. They are counting on it so get ready to open that wallet up and that included the excursions too. They will drive you bonkers about purchasing photos on excursions. We enjoy them, the spa cruise, zip line, muddy 4 wheeling, snorkeling and something else the kids did without us ( 22, 19, 17 year old kids).
Our room was connected to our children and we had issues with spiders, ants and some other strange tropical bug. What can you do you are in a tropical place.
The AC was useless and there was a horrid smell in our room the entire time. They do not like giving you towels and face clothes at all( 1 person per day).
Let talk about the spas Jacuzzi... even the flies would not land in it. You could see the dirt on the the sides and film bubbling up in there....GROSS. We did have great massages and the ladies did excellent hair styling.
This is a family resort so note that the pool will have a TON of unpotty trained children and adults ( yes, the pool is their toilet) . Next we have our smokers and they are in full form without regard to designated smoking areas. I have an issue with it because our daughter has respiratory issues and smoke is not our friend.
Avoid the Asian restaurant and really it amazes me how people can not make pizza, like seriously it was like tomato paste with cheese on some type of dough. I wanted to go back in the kitchen myself and cook.
I am so over it and don't feel like sharing another word. The could not give me a week free...and that is the truth! Now they could give us a week free at the Grand Bavaro and I would be there in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed near the childrens day care and it was okay, we never heard the children.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear guest,
First at all, we thank you for taking time to write some comments about the hotel Iberostar Bavaro and for choosing our premises for your holidays.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov, we would like to express you how sorry we to acknowledge that our hotel premises, gastronomy and services ensured you a memorable holiday as hundreds of satisfied guests leaving our premises every day. We aim in Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, leading hotel chain with more than 100 hotels at the disposal for our beloved guests, to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers. In each of our hotels Iberostar our basic principles are to provide the best service and to offer the best quality of products in exquisite gastronomy and upkeep our grounds. We regret that this was not your impression when you visited Iberostar Bavaro. We extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences you might have encountered whilst your visit and reassure you though that this is not a true depiction of our high level of standards of operation here at Iberostar Bavaro.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit, please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had high expectations after staying at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in Jamaica and chose this hotel because I had such a great experience there.

Most of staff at this hotel could care less that you are a guest. Very few people speak English (which I blame the hotel for, they should have classes with the basics) and it was hard to get drinks or silverware/ napkins in the restaurants, even when I had a visible tip on the table. The food was horrible (with exception of the chicken served outdoors for lunch) and the food temperatures were unpredictable and usually cold. I actually lost weight at this all inclusive and got pretty sick the last night. The kids menu at the restaurants (where you could make a reservation) was limited and should have included some kind of chicken or chicken nuggets. My daughter ate buttered noodles almost every meal.

The mixed drinks were horrible. My daughter loves virgin strawberry daiquiris (which you would think would be made exactly the same as RH Suites in Jamaica), but they were making them with some sort of lemon filler which made them sour and undrinkable. It took a really, really long time to get drinks at the lobby bar and during shows.

The girl handing out towels and the girl serving ice cream at the pool were extremely rude. A smile and putting down your cell phone go along way...

The pool and beach were nice and the hotel was clean. The Michael Jackson show was great. The other shows needed work.

We did meet people who loved the resort and come back every year, but we aren't one of those people and would choose the Rose Hall Suites 100x before coming back to this hotel. I don't typically review hotels so poorly, but this one is lacking in so many areas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest,
Firstly, we thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Bavaro and for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination.
In the name of the hotel Manager, Dejan Grubanov, and the whole team, we want to express how deeply sorry we are to read that our hotel premises, gastronomy, entertainment and services could not fulfill all your expectations based on your experience at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in Jamaica. We thank you for your valuable feedback; we assure you that all your suggestions and comments have been sent to the concerning departments, and we will be taking measures to double our efforts to improve our service and deliver the Iberostar standards our valuable costumers are used to.
We kindly invite you to give us a chance to show you our improvements and remain at your disposition for any further assistance.
Best regards,
lAUREL rUN, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was perfect!! From the minute we arrived, to the last minute we left. The resort is very clean, the food was very good, the pools were perfect, the staff was very friendly. Our A/C wasn't working very well the 1st day, I called down to the front desk they sent someone up within 10 minutes to fix it. We will be going back there next year for sure. Make sure you take bug spray and use it at night! It was 100% PERFECT!!!!!! The only thing I would change is going for 10 - 14 days instead of 7 days.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Dr. Dejan Grubanov, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Bavaro for your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your experience among us.
We are happy to know that you enjoyed a “wonderful trip” as you entitled your review from the first moment you came into our premises. In Iberostar we want our beloved guests to have unforgettable experiences in our hotels.
We will be pleased to welcome you back again; please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We just came back a week ago from a week vacation at the Iberostar Bavaro. We had a great time at the resort. The staff - reception, bartenders, waitresses, entertainers, cleaning crew, etc - everyone was friendly and makes you feel welcome and they want the guests to have the best vacation experience. They work hard and never show that they are tired!

I called for service of the A/C and the maintenance person came right away and solved the problem quickly and was very nice. Top notch service.

We were greeted by the room manager and asked us if we enjoyed the room we were staying and later on a bottle of champagne was brought to our room. We are none drinkers so we left it behind, but nevertheless this was a nice touch from the manager.

The food was good at all the restaurants - steak, seafood, french, and japanese. My favorite was the french restaurant. I wish more guests would dress up a little bit more instead of showing up in jeans. All the restaurants have a nice decor and some are more fancy than others. Long pants for men and a golf shirt is sufficient; jeans and t-shirts are not appropriate! For ladies a nice dress or sundress is appropriate.

I do have an observation and hopefully a change will be implemented in the near future. We enjoyed most of the shows in the evening but one night during the "Ms. Iberostar" show fun was made of asian people and that was very uncomfortable for me and for others. It is not "politically correct" to make fun of other races when you are not of that race. In other words, when I see an asian comedian is ok to make jokes about asian people, or a black comedian make jokes about black people, but when you have someone of one race make a joke of another race, it is just offensive. I enjoyed the vacation so much and I can see how Iberostar wants to provide five star service so a show like does not belong in a beautiful resort like this one.

And one minor suggeston - the wonderfl dominican coffee would taste much better if it was served hot.

Overall we enjoyed and we arer planning to go back next year hopefully. Please thank all your staff for the excellent job and service they provide to all the guests!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience among us and for choosing Iberostar Bavaro for your holidays.
In the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, we would like to express you our satisfaction to read that your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff and the variety of our gastronomy. In Iberostar we aim to ensure our valuable guests to “enjoy being a Star” on holidays.
Likewise we have forwarded your feedback to our Star Friends Manager about the nightly shows.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again; please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
Kindest regards,
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

As you can gather from the title of this review, we encountered a problem with security in our room. One day I neglected to use the safe in the room and my wallet was left in my backpack. I came back to the room to find that all of the larger bills had been removed -- passports, small bills, credit cards, etc... remained. Filed a complaint with security and after an investigation was told that since we did not use the safe, the hotel could not be held liable. I didn't expect that it would, and I admit my mistake, but there were some circumstances surrounding the disappearance that led me to believe it was an "inside job." (eg. when a safe is found to be left open, it is hotel policy that a small team comes to the room and does an "inventory" of your personal belongings -- it doesn't take a great imagination to see the opportunities for staff in "cahoots" to exploit that policy.) I could be wrong, of course, but to be on the safe side keep all valuables in your safe. Feel free to PM me for additional info. By the way, I give three stars since the resort itself was beautiful and most of the employees were very kind -- we had a wonderful time save for the theft. Have stayed at Iberostar Resorts in Riviera Maya with an outstanding experience at those.... Stayed there the week of August 18th.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov, we regret to acknowledge that despite your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff and the beauty of our premises, your holidays were not satisfying enough and we extend our apologies for the inconveniences that you might have experience during your stay among us. In Iberostar we aim to ensure the most positive experience to our customers. We would like to clarify though we take seriously this kind of accusation against our staff but it is by no mean a neither frequent nor normal complaint from our customers. As we explained you personally our security team found no violation of the security in your room and founds no irregular situations during the period of time you allege your belongs to be missing. Although we do a deep investigation which includes police records when hiring staff, our hotel and the Tour Operator representatives always advise the use of safe in the room which is an included service at Iberostar Bavaro. Our hotel does not take responsibility when safe is not being used. This is a fact worldwide in the hotels around the world. We truly regret that this issue might damage the good image you have of our hotel chain.
We remain at your entire disposition for further assistance.
Sincerely yours,
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The staff was outstanding. Great entertainment team! Food was great, bartenders were awesome. Can't beat the location! Great value!

Improvements: Hot tub wasn't as hot as it should be. Also, I did not like how the cleaning ladies are dressed. I think it is very degrading. It is 2013, not 1950's. Their outfits reminded me of slavery times. Please change that! Air conditioner only goes up to "3", it would be nice if it was more powerful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear guest,
First at all we would like to thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Bavaro. On behalf of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, we also thank you for choosing our hotel to enjoy your holidays.
We appreciate your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff members, the variety of our gastronomy and entertainment as the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to provide an excellent service to our valuable costumers.
We thank you also for your suggestions regarding uniforms; we have sent it to our Human Resource Manager.
We will be happy to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us for further assistances.
With kindest regards,

Been to Iberostar Bavaro Suites? Share your experiences!