“Great Vacation with One Drawback” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Bavaro Suites

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Bavaro Suites to your Saves list
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #19 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
“Great Vacation with One Drawback”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The property at Iberostar Bavaro is meticulously kept and very well tended. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the service was spot on, which was the best part of Iberostar Bavaro. They seemed genuinely happy to assist with any requests; however, contrary to some reviews, many do not speak/understand English very well. The bartenders at the lobby bar & pool bar were the best – especially Antonio & Hector! They were also very entertaining, and refilled drinks without having to ask and suggested different drinks to try. The pool was OK but much to our disappointment, a portion of the pool and pool bar area was only open one day then closed for construction (jack hammering the concrete). I guess they were getting it ready for the high season. The beach was nice and everyday staff was raking seaweed and cleaning up. The ocean is the Atlantic and it was a little rough with an undertow, not like the calm waters of the Caribbean. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable and the mini bar was refilled each day with water, soda & beer. Each night there was a show and the entertainment was very good! None of the excursions appealed to me and my husband, but other family members did the Santo Domingo tour (12 hours) which they enjoyed. If you are interested in exploring the island, be sure to go on an escorted tour - for safety reasons do not leave the resort alone. There are shack like shops on the beach very close to the resort, but be aware that they are VERY aggressive, which we did not like and therefore we did not buy anything from them. We understand that these people are very poor and are trying to make a living; however, if they would just let you look around without following you and badgering you to buy EVERY single item, we would have made a purchase. Regarding the food, this was the one drawback to this resort – we just didn’t care for the selection or taste. And, unfortunately, two people in our group got severally sick after eating at the Mediterranean restaurant and lost a full day stuck in the room. Also, do not drink the water or even use it to brush your teeth – use the bottled water supplied in your room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Hotel Guest,
in the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Bavaro as your holiday’s destination and for the time took on publishing your feedback about your experience among us
We appreciate your positive valuation about the service provided by our staff and the beauty and cleanness of our premises. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises and we are committed to ensure our beloved guests to “enjoy being a Star”. We will congratulate Antonio and Hector for contributing to your happiness during your visit.
On the other hand, we regret to read that the quality and variety of our gastronomy could not meet your palate’s expectations. It is our goal in Iberostar to offer our beloved “stars” an unforgettable holiday with a unique culinary experience. I would like to clarify that we take hygiene seriously and we follow strictly sanitary procedures based on the Dominican Republic regulations and by Saniconsult, our external consulter. We do control the quality of the alimentary products we buy and use to prepare our wide variety of dishes, and the way our staff manipulate them. We regret to hear that two members of your group got sick. We have no records of sanitary problems or complaints related from our Mediterranean restaurant.
We will be glad to welcome you back at Iberostar Bavaro. Please feel free to contact us prior your visit.
With best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Polish first
Newark, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our 8 year-old daughter from Oct 27 - Nov 3. My husband and I fell in love with the island and the resort. I told him I don't need to go to any other island ever again. I would rather return to Iberostar Bavaro every year! The resort was gorgeous, the beach amazing, and the people were fantastic. The staff is the nicest I have ever met.

We were originally going to be put in a 2nd floor room, but we asked for a 1st floor as-close-to-the-beach-as-possible, and they accomodated us without a problem. In fact we were given a room in a building right next to the beach.

Hubby and I prefer the beach, but my daughter likes the pool, so I split my time between the two. And I have to say the pool was awesome. It was huge. I liked that there is a large area which is only a little over 3 ft., so I didn't have to worry about it being over my petite daughter's head.

The grounds were immaculate. They clean and spruce up constantly. I was super impressed when I saw a maid using a broom to brush off the outside walls and windows. The landscaping is beautiful and varies so you are always seeing different things. We loved the bungalow-style buildings. It felt like walking through a neighborhood.

The buffet food was good. Some of it we liked a lot, some maybe not so much. But overall it was good. And the options were beyond anything I've ever seen. Even my picky child found plenty to eat at every meal. We dined at the Cajun and Mediterranean restaurants and the food was very good. It was not what we would think of as "authentic," but then when people come to the US they don't get authentic Chinese food either. I don't expect authentic if I'm not in the country of origin. As long as it's tasty, I'm happy.

I recommend sitting in the same area at the main restaurant each day so you can get to know your servers. And as others mentioned, tipping is always a good idea. It shows your appreciation AND inspires your servers to remember you. I have never seen a more pleasant group of people. They were always smiling, singing, dancing, etc. It seemed they truly enjoyed their jobs.

We were there over Halloween, and the staff did a great job decorating the resort. Even the desserts were in Halloween theme. My daughter said she'd rather be there than go trick-or-treating at home.

My husband said if he HAD to come up with one complaint, it would be the lack of access to coffee early in the morning. While there is a coffee pot in each room, it doesn't compare to cafe con leche in the restaurant. Perhaps most people sleep late on vacation, but we tend to wake at 6 or 7 a.m.

My only complaint is that I have to wait at least another year before I can go back. Iberostar Bavaro was my idea of paradise!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Bavaro for your holidays. In the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, and his team, we thank you for taking time to post some comments about you stay among us.
We are much honored to acknowledge that our hotel could fulfill all your expectations regarding the service of our staff, the quality of our gastronomy and the cleanness and beauty of our property. In Iberostar those are part of our guiding principles so we can ensure a memorable stay to our beloved “stars” on vacation. We are glad to read that we accomplish our goal and our whole team feels motivated by your review.
We will be happy to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Family of 10 (ages 3-66) travelled to this hotel last month. Last year, we stayed on the Dominicana side. I had emailed the hotel in advance requesting 3 rooms close to pool and in the same building. I received a response within 24 hours that they would do their best to accommodate us. Upon arrival we had gotten the requested rooms with a bottle of rum and fruit plate.
This hotel is more family oriented (more than the Dominicana), kids loved the kiddie pool. Last year the Kids club was being renovated and they did a great job. Place is spacious, clean and the staff was very friendly. Mini-disco at night was lots of fun.
Beach was gorgeous, plenty of sunbeds available throughout the day. Waves were too strong to really enjoy swimming. We spend most of our time by the pool, sunbeds there had nice fluffy cushions. We used the jacuzzi few times, remember to reserve in advance. Food at the buffet was very good, excellent variety. We didn’t eat at any of the restaurants as buffet was easier with the younger ones. Drinks were hit and miss depending on who made them. Some of the mixed ones were way too sweet. The best drinks we got were at the lobby bar at night. Checked out the disco almost every night, not that many ppl but we still had a great time.
I love this Iberostar property will definitely return next year!

Dear guest,
In the name of MR. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, and his team, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hotels and Resorts and for posting a review about your family holidays at Iberostar Bavaro.
We are very pleased to read that you, your family and especially your kids had a great vacation whilst you were at our premises. We appreciate your nice comments about the beauty and care of our grounds, especially about our recent renovation of our children facilities. In Iberostar it is one of our guiding principles to upkeep our premises.
We will be happy to welcome you back again; we will be glad once again to receive your mail before your arrival.
hammamet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I spent two weeks with my family at this resort in October.The weather was good but there were short showers a few times. The hotel and rooms were clean and spacious. The food was varied and delicious. The service was fast and helpful. Tips are required. The hotel complex was insect-free. Beaches:white, clean, sandy. The sea : turquoise blue, wavy. We enjoyed the swimming , pools, too. Excellent animation!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear sidimtir,
Thank you for writing a review about your experience among us and for choosing Iberostar Bavaro to enjoy your family holidays.
In the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, we would like to express you our satisfaction to read that you had “a fantastic holidays” according to the title of your review. It is our goal in Iberostar to ensure memorable experiences to our beloved “stars” during their visits to our hotel grounds.
We will be happy to welcome you back, feel free to contact us before your next visit.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A great holiday destination for those who want to relax, swim and eat well. A week was long enough however as you do get buffet-overload and surprisingly tired of doing the same thing (not much!) every day. Would definitely consider going back if it wasn't for the hundreds of other holiday destinations to choose from!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Dejan Grubanov, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Bavaro for your family vacation and for posting some comments about your stay.
We are glad to acknowledge that your vacation was relaxing and unforgettable. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our beloved guests so we can ensure them a memorable holiday.
In case you change your decision and you visit us again, please feel free to contact us before your next visit,
Best regards,
Palos Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Last year in October of 2011, I stayed here with a group of friends and had a fantastic time. The service, food, and the rooms were great then. If you look through my previous reviews, you can see the one I wrote for this location. This year, I returned and stayed from October 13-20, 2012. Things were a little bit different this time. First, the service definitely fell off from what I experienced last year. Not to say that it was bad, but it was far less and my expectations were not met. I also noticed that there were fewer "Star Friends" and bar servers during the evening shows. There was one occasion during a show that I waited well over 20 minutes for a server to approach me, and that was only after I flagged her down. Also, during one show on Wednesday night, there weren't any female "Star Friends" working that particular evening. It makes a difference when you have an even balance of male and female employees that work the crowd and get people out dancing. On another night, our entire group (7 people) went to the Steakhouse for dinner. The food was average at best and service was non-existant. We waited numerous times for refills on wine and beverages and it wasn't even that busy there! Overall, we were very disappointed with our dining choice that night. The same could be said for the night we ate at the main buffet. The food was good although service there had fallen off since last year. I did have dinner at the Gourmet (French) Restaurant and the Japanese Restaurant on other nights and was much more pleased with the food and service. While on the beach on a couple different occasions, there were no servers taking drink orders like there were last year. When I asked about it, I was told that they were there. However, for spending nearly 4 hours on the beach one day, I did not see one anywhere. Last year, I was constantly seeing them on the beach and they always approached to see if people needed drinks. Our group stayed in 3 rooms in the same building just like we did last year. However, this time, two of the three rooms never had hot showers no matter what time of day you took a shower. It was a minor thing, but hot water shouldn't have been an issue. One morning, I actually ran out of toilet paper, being that the second holder hadn't been refilled the previous day. That was inexcusable! Another issue I encountered was the refilling of the in-room minibar. It went two days without replenishment until I called the front desk. Someone showed up within 10 minutes of my phone call. Last year, it was filled daily. Just another of many events showing a decline in service. On the plus side, most everyone I encountered was polite and courteous during my stay. My room was comfortable and well-maintained for the mostpart. The activities at the resort were plentiful and the atmosphere was fun and upbeat. The property was constantly being maintained and kept up. All in all, it was still a nice escape to paradise and I would return again next visit. I do recommend it, but stay on top of things to make sure they are done correctly and to your satisfaction.

Room Tip: The Jr. Suites are really nice rooms and that is what makes up the majority of rooms at the Iberosta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Bavaro Suites, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for taking time to share your feedback about you second stay at Iberostar Bavaro and also for choosing our hotel once again for your holidays.
In the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, we regret to read that although you enjoyed a pleasant holiday, your expectations regarding the excellent service you received last year in all areas were not met. We appreciate your positive valuation about the friendliness of our staff, the beauty of our ground and the wide options of our gastronomy. As you know, in Iberostar those aspects are part of our commitments to ensure memorable stay to our beloved guests.
Likewise, we thank you for your feedback regarding the breakdown of our services especially at the bars and restaurants. Our Food and Beverage Manager, our Maitre and our Housekeeping Manager have been notified about your concerns so they can make the necessary changes to deliver the level of service expected by our beloved guests.
We will be happy to welcome you back and show you our improvements, please feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our first travel to DR ( West Jet Vacations ), and it's not going to be the last. Service was excellent, everybody was friendly and very helpful. Room was comfortable and clean. Entertainment was A+. Beach was constantly cleaned and there was always enough lounges available.
Special thanks to our West Jet representative Carlos Hiraldo, who was extremely helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your experience at the Iberostar Bavaro. In the name of Mr. Dejan Grubanov, Hotel Manager, we also thank you for having chosen our hotel as destination for your first holidays in the Dominican Republic.
We want to express you how glad we are to hear that you had enjoyed the “best vacation so far”, as you entitled your publication. We are happy to read your motivating comments regarding the variety and quality of our gastronomy, our entertainment and the excellent service provided by our staff. In Iberostar we want our beloved guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,

Been to Iberostar Bavaro Suites? Share your experiences!