“AMAZING TRIP that we will NEVER forget!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Club Med Punta Cana to your Saves list
Club Med Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Apartado Postal | 106 Higuey Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #37 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Oakville, Canada
“AMAZING TRIP that we will NEVER forget!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

First off, we were a bit wary of this Club Med as a) we had never travelled to a Club Med before and b) from the other reviews, we saw that this was much more of a family resort with lots of activities for little kids, and us being 3 21-year olds, we thought we would be bored.

...BUT...

We were BLOWN away by all of the activities available. Andrew was AMAZING and always made sure we were having a great time. We only did sailing, kayaking, archery and trapeze (which is a lot of fun although not for the faint of heart, but the whole team (Millie, Eliza,________), but they did have windsurfing, bocce ball, tennis, snorkelling and other excursions (you had to pay for the off resort ones, but they looked and sounded like alot of fun) although we could not even have time to fit an excursion in.

The fitness trainer Gen is UNBELIEVABLE as we did her classes almost everyday and after her classes you feel great about eating all of the white chocolate bread (YUMMY) and other lovely creations. Every meal had "chef specialities" which were always changing and the food was really good. The quality of the food was gourmet especially compared to other all-inclusive resorts. Mor was one of the best speciality chefs so I highly recommend eating his specialities every night.

We saw all but 2 shows and really enjoyed all of them, and right after the shows we did crazy signs (a Club Med dance thing) and danced with the GO's at the other "night club" Celeste (which is on the beach).

We went during hurricane season in between Hurricane Earl and Tropical Storm Fiona, and of our 7 days it rained once, which was well liked because it cooled the place down, and also made for some great waves!

We had 2 deluxe rooms and really dont have too many complaints...the AC worked great, and Fior, our housekeeper was great! We had 2 2L Dasani water bottles put in our room each day although we drank the tap water and were fine. Our room were missing closet doors and our TV was fuzzy on most American stations, but the other room we had everything was perfect.

The bar (another Gen) and pool (HUGE) was GREAT, and the frozen drinks are so refreshing in the 40+ Celsuis weather.

I visited the Spa for a OPI spa french manicure, and Isabel was very good although I was expecting a bit more of a luxurious manicure/pedicure area (it was a seperate room from the spa) seeing as the spa and the massage areas looked unreal.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this trip and will hopefully be making another trip to Club Med in the future!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

1979
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We just returned from Club Med Punta Cana and had a wonderful vacation. The place is not perfect and the level of service and accomodations are NOT on the luxury level, but for a family vacation it was a lot of fun and offered almost all that I wanted and needed.
THE GOOD: The staff was very nice and accomodating. Because most guests are French, many of the workers were from French-speaking countries, mainly Haiti and France. But they all spoke some English, so we didn't have any problems getting along. Club Med has several activity clubs for kids, divided by age, and my son was in the young teen club (11-13); they also have an older teen club. I picked Club Med over the Beaches Resort because I wanted my son to engage in many activities, not spend the entire week at Beaches's X-BOX center, which he would have done if left to his own devices. At Club Med, the kids were allowed only one-hour on the video games, then they locked up that room and encouraged the kids to go snorkeling, kyacking, archery, play tennis and learn windsurfing. At the end of the week, the teens put on a song-and-dance performance in the theater. My son was busy from 9 a.m until 6 p.m., then he came back to the room to shower and change clothing for dinner. After dinner, he went back to the teen club to dance and "hang out." My son had a ball. My only regret was that I didn't bring better clothing for him. The teens at Club Med, especially the French teens, wear nice clothing for dinner and dancing.
While my son was with the teens, I exercised (they have 10 different exercise classes a day), took Latin dance lessons and read several novels on the beach.
We stayed in a "family club room" which was nicely designed so that my son had his own space in a small alcove that had two day beds, while I took the main bedroom. The room was nice, not great, but nice and clean and cheerful. If I return, I might rent one of the lovely Club Med beach-front cottages and perhaps bring another family with me to split the cost.
THE BAD: The food was terrible. I was on a diet and therefore welcomed the opportunity to eat less. But several of the guests did comment on the quality of the food. Also, the weather was too hot. I realized that we were going at the hottest time of the year, but it was still hotter than I expected. This didn't bother my son or most of the kids, however.
BOTTOM LINE: This is not the place for couples to spend a romantic week or for someone who wants a quiet luxury vacation. But it's a wonderful place to take the kids. My son wants to return to Club Med. But next year, we'll pick a different location, probably Europe or North Africa.

Middlebury, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We chose to vacation at Club Med Punta Cana because it was a destination we and our nearly adult children (ages 17 and 20) could agree on. Once we got there it turned out to be a good choice. The resort offered day activities that kept us all busy (wind surfing, tennis, Zumba, fitness machines, snorkeling, and scuba diving). The food was good and available most of the time, allowing for different schedules. We had two rooms and our kids were independent of us much of the time. Interestingly the fact that most guests spoke French and our kids did not resulted in them hanging out with us more than I anticipated - an added benefit to us! The weather in August was hot and sticky and the A/C in the rooms was marginal, but the ocean was a great place to cool off. In fact the ocean here was actually "swimmable' and there were several people swimming back and forth most of the time. We enoyed our stay but will probably go to another Club Med next time for the sake of variety.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Resort is 5 Stars Luxory. Staff is the Best. Andrew and Beach Crew Staff is The Best. Food and resaurant is beyond any description- It is like Haven. !!!
but:
The rooms are not so good. :We had pipes leaking, smell of fungus, toilet has to be exanged, no ventilation in bathroom, small bugs on the floor were problems.
shooping is way overpriced and nothing to buy.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Someone posted "terrific family vacation but read below if not familiar with Club Med" and their post could not be more on the money. Since I was in Club Med Cancun last August and Punta Cana this August, I will make a few comparisons.

Beautiful resort, spread out, so be prepared to walk! Our room was perfect, comfortable, great terrace, not 5 star but the A/C worked great, TV had lots of American channels, we had a fridge and safe in the room, the maid replenishs Dasani water bottles everyday. It was fine.

G.O.'s were great, actiivites were good, better in Cancun though. The pool is huge and the water was too warm, but you can't help that in August when it is 90 degrees and so humid everyday. It was clean and plenty of room for everyone. The pool in Cancun is way too small. Both beaches were beautiful, I like the Punta Cana beach better.

The food was good to very good. Dinner was the best, plenty of choices and great chef creations. Breakfast was terrible and lunch was ok to good. If you are American, this is not the best breakfast buffet. Caters to the europeans - a salad bar is not what I wish to see at 8:30am. Greasy sausage and bacon, the omlette station was a disaster with no formed line, people cutting in, eggs were always runny and the chef was insulted if you asked to have it cooked more. After day 3, I gave up on eggs. Selection was not great but plenty of fresh breads. Fruit everyday is Mango, Papaya, Passion Fruit, Pineapple and Watermelon. It was hard to find bananas. Again, adequate but not great. Here Cancun is far superior - more selection, more restaurants. We stayed 5 nights and for only 2 restaraunts on property, that was plenty of time.

Drinks: if you drink alcohol - you will pay for premium liquor. If you want just a run of the mill frozen cocktail you will be fine. They offer a white and red table wine at dinner with the local beer "presidente" but you have to pay for other selections. They offer a wine list.

We were out numbered by the French. We found them to be rude and carry around a sense of entitlement that I never expected. With 14 year olds smoking in the teen club, my daughter decided to mingle during the day rather than at night, and all 12 of us really had a great time. I probably would not go back, although I would return to Cancun Club Med.

Go here for the beautiful scenery and fun actiivities.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband, 14 month old daughter and I went to Club Med Punta Cana last Christmas/New Years and LOVED it. The locale is gorgeous, the food is excellent especially for mass catering, the team/staff were all incredibly friendly, and the rooms were good - definitely not the Club Med of my childhood and worth the 4* (4 Trident) rating. We were also very impressed by the Kids Club, and leaving our daughter there for a few hours a day allowed us some much needed r'n'r. We loved the all inclusive aspect as we felt no guilt in having a few pina coladas by the pool while reading our books. The spa was also very high quality. Overall, we were thrilled by our experience. The only downside was that we did feel that we overpaid for the peak season as we would anywhere...travelling at New Years is just about the most expensive time of year full stop. We would absolutely go back, we would just try to stay away from busy season until our kids are school age!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Went there as a family of 7. We are French (living in the US) and therefore knew about the concept. This is the 2nd largest resort of Club Med world wide and the most profitable from all (as much as all the med resorts all together). 1750 beds capacity open year round. We were 1550 for the two weeks of 7 to 21 August and the resort could accomodate that many people very easily. Activities are available for all with no queue. External activities ' outside' of the club med but embedded on the club's beach are horrendously expensive. 65 EUR for one scuba dive .... 2 fold the price of what you find close by !

Note the 2 first weeks of August are very famous among the " sentier" community in Paris. If you like noise, that's the place to go. If not too bad !

The " chef du Village" is I think a very compentent manager and drives that resort very well. Problem is to get a smile from him you will have to wait for some time. A very rigid personality that affects a bit the atmosphere in the resort. GO's are terrifiied somehow of relationships with minors and the alcool free concept is generating a lot of issues among the teens at the night club in the evening . (they can't drimk in theory but get drunk every night. Just ask someone above 18 to get you a drink ...)

NB : For the European, book this from club med US site. You can enter a fake postal address. It does not matter. Confirmation is electronic anyway and you will enjoy cheaper prices than from the EU sites.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Punta Cana? Share your experiences!