“Great get away for kids and adults” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Punta Cana

You added Club Med Punta Cana to your Saves list
Club Med Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Apartado Postal | 106 Higuey Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brooklyn, New York
“Great get away for kids and adults”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was our second time at this club med and our 4th club med property. This one has a BEAUTIFUL beach. The best part though is the warmth and dedication of the kids club staff. There is a new manager who has brought a really palpable sense of team to the kids club staff. I am a superintendent for a network of elementary schools and I have to say I am blown away by the enthusiasm, warmth, and caring of the kids club staff. Both my 5 yr old and my 3 yr old had some separation issues but they were easily overcome by the "kid whisperers" from the kids club. Folka, Micius, Devin, Freeman, Alina, Morgiane, and Virginie in particular were amazing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Polish first
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Afrer months of research, i finally booked our trip in sept for travel 1/31-2/7...we are scheduled to leave in 3 days. We are a family of 5..2 adults, 3 kids(3 year old twins and a 4 month old). I booked a 2 bedroom deluxe unit so that we would all have separate sleeping arrangements. I printed out our documents on sunday, only to notice that our room category had been changed. I promply called customer service and patiently waited 24hrs for a supervisor to call me back. I was told that I had been "upgraded" to a family room with a bathtub. Upon further questioning, they admitted that this room had only 1 bedroom and 2 daybeds in sitting area. somehow inmy UPGRADE I lost 300 sq feet, an additional bathroom, and the 2nd bedroom that I PAID full price for!! ..but I have a TUB ! I was told that the resort was full and offered a 5% refund in exchange for cramming 5 people into a 1 bedroom. (btw..i paid a lot more than an extra 5% for the 2bdrm. When I stated this was not acceptable, I was told that they would "try to move people" and call me back. Now after 2 additional calls and almost an hour on hold I still have no resolution.
This has soured our entire vacation and we havent even arrived. I can not even get a refund and try to rebook at another resort. Buyer beware!

Stayed January 2014
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Club med punta cana was a nice holiday destinations with beautiful sea/beaches and sun, but we were really disappointed by the status of the room. You can get an idea by looking at the photos I have attached. Old bathrooms and forniture and poor cleaning. We were also quite short of space as they put our family of 4 all in 1 room which was not confortable. The ground and landscape of the external parts of the club are nice and we enjoyed the club formula and the many activities, but I don't think overall it is worth the money (not cheap!!). the food was also quite disappointing: very repetitive and poor quality ingredients. Only the pizza saved our lunches and dinner! also, the main language should be English as advertised in the web site, but many people don't speak english that well, so if you don't speak French think twice before going. GOs were in general very friendly and the staff very nice, although we had some problems with the reception services.

Chappaqua, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This my first online review ever. We just returned from a fabulous week at Club Med with our three elementary aged children. The grounds are beautiful, the weather was perfect, and the staff actually wants you to enjoy your stay and have a good time. There is always food and drinks available and easily accessible. Being Club Med, there are activities for everyone- snorkeling, kayaking, catamaran, trapeze, ping pong, beach volleyball, as well as pool games, nature walks and other organized events. The atmosphere is both upbeat and relaxing. The resort was supposedly booked, but it never felt crowded and there was never a problem getting a chair at the pool or beach. With young children, I loved the flexibility of not having to worry about reservations for dinner. The rooms are just adequate, but they are clean and the beds are comfortable, and you do not spend much time there. But most importantly, the staff is really wonderful!

Our very special thanks to.....

Head Chef Halim Ackalin- we can not thank him enough for his special attention during our stay. Our 8 year old son is gluten free, has a nut allergy and is incredibly picky. Upon our arrival, Chef Halim showed me the gluten free pantry and we discussed different food options. He made special foods for our son at almost every meal, and ordered special gluten free products once he learned our son's eating habits. It seemed to become his mission to get our son to eat, which is not an easy task. Our son had a huge smile each morning when his special gluten free pancakes arrived. This, by itself, made our trip worthwhile and we will absolutely return knowing how wonderful and accommodating the cooking staff is.

Travis at Catamaran- our kids did not want to stay all day in the mini club (by no fault of club med), but did want to partake in the mini club catamaran trip. We were told to show up at 2:00 to meet up with the group. However, on the day we chose, the mini club group decided to do activities other than catamaran, leaving our kids disappointed. Travis offered to take them for a ride, which made their day.

Carlos at Photography- after purchasing our photo package the morning of our departure, additional photos of our family were taken. Carlos made sure that the pictures were uploaded in time so we could get them before our flight left. Travel tip: the professional photographer takes wonderful pictures throughout your stay. It is somewhat pricey to purchase the photo package but in our opinion, well worth it. And if you know in advance that you will be making the purchase, you can be sure to get in a lot of shots. For an additional fee they will do a private photo session. We will certainly plan on doing this next time.

All in all, it was an easy, relaxing and fun vacation for the family so we will certainly be returning.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I'm sorry to say I had a very bad experience this last trip to Club Med. This was especially surprising being that I had gone to this same club Med last year and absolutely loved it.
First the good points- Nice facilities with an overall very helpful enthusiastic staff. Some superstar GO's include Melanie, Obed, Charlie, Joshua, Maria, +++ These people are what the best of Club Med is about. (I have stayed in a club Med 6 times before)
Now unfortunately the bad part- I came with 3 kids. I was not overly impressed with the kids club this time. While the GO's I mentioned were amazing, it seemed as if the GO mix was off. There was no diversity in the GO's. It seemed that most of the staff was local. And while the locals are wonderful and kind, the whole magic of Club med is the diversity of the staff.

Now the terrible part- and this ruined the entire stay!
One night during the show the kids were cheering on their favorite GO's. (The "Teen Club" with about 20 kids were all sitting together) This was a fun and wonderful show that the kids were enjoying. Then- out of nowhere, a 38-42 yr large man stood up and started screaming at the children. He then cornered a 12 year old GIRL and put his fist in her face and physically threatened her. And this is while his wife was cursing at the children. He was clearly a unstable person who crossed the line when he physically threatened to beat up a child. This is all while the "security" watched on. The kids went to the security for help but they did nothing. (I don't think they understood English) The girl left crying and it was a big ordeal that all the children were shaken up. Of course, all the parents were very concerned. We parents went to find the Chief (Abdel) to discuss this incident, but he was nowhere to be found. Instead we spoke to his assistant who promised swift action and assured us that our children "were safe."

We consoled our kids and assumed Club Med would be on top of this very serious safety issue. After all, all the teens walk around Club med with complete ease and no worry for safety. (This was also an amazing group of kids who had good, safe fun with ZERO incidents)

It was the next morning that we found out that nothing had been done. When we saw the Chief at around 12:00 strolling around, he said that he had not done anything yet. He said he would do something and get back to us but we had to give him some time because he had just heard about the incident 1 hr ago. ???This incident happened the night before and we assumed club Med would be on top of the issue. He told us he knew who the person was and he would be discussing this with him and he would get back to us. He said that he was going for lunch and would probably see this man there. ???? We were dumbfounded. How could this man be the head of the entire village??? This is how he dealt with security threats?? We were shocked and felt at that time he would do nothing. He did not really care about the incident and wanted to simply brush it under the table. I got the sense that he had a sense of fellowship to the man- overriding his better judgement- because they "spoke the same language" We all got the same sense from him- We were "American"- and his loyalty was elsewhere.

In every Club Med I have been to I have found the Chiefs to be wonderful enthusiastic responsible people. I can say 100% that every Chief I had met was amazing!!! Not so with this Chief. He was unfriendly and condescending. But what's worse, he NEVER ADDRESSED THIS SAFETY ISSUE. Of course he never spoke to the man and he never came back to us. when we asked the assistant, she kept telling us that all was fine, but NOBODY FOLLOWED UP. The rest of the trip we had to keep our kids close for fear that this man was around. And what's more, if that is how they handle security, they don't care about you but rather, they want to Brush all under the table.
I would NOT recommend bringing children to a place that deals with Security like that. There are a ton of strangers walking around and if the "Head of the Village" doesn't care- Then I'm sure no one else does as well.

West Sand Lake, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We just returned to the Club Med in Punta Cana for the 3rd year in a row. It is a perfect place for a family with young children. The kids club there is outstanding- truly dedicated, hardworking, fun individuals! Emanual, Riggins, Falka, Devin, Mickelson, Samuel, Jessica, etc.-- All are truly fantastic and ensured our children had a wonderful time doing so many activities.
While the kids club remained wonderful, we found the food to be not as good as in the years past. In addition, the Chief was rarely seen around the club

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife, daughter (Nikki - 7) and I all went this past week (1/18/2014). We ALL had a fantastic time. The food, the shows, the kids' camp were all wonderful. Nikki loved the kids club. It is run by a team of enthusiastic professionals with warmth, charm, patience and humor. My daughter loved to go every morning and was excited to tell all of the activities she did - trapeze (wow, what amazing talent - i wonder if they are former Cirque Du Solei folk), archery, water sports and games.

We've been to a number of all-inclusive resorts, including 7 times to Beaches premium resort in Turks and Caicos. We've switched our allegiance to Club Med Punta Cana. We are from NYC where we are used to great service and food. Everyone there was friendly and helpful. The place is well run, the weather and beaches are beautiful (no touts on the beach). I had fun doing a bit of beach volleyball and Aqua Aerobics (really good fun) and a good way to move a bit after driving a desk for 51 weeks of the year.

The food was great. I mean great. That doesn't mean that I liked everything that they made, but I have to tell you that the grouper and perch were so fresh and cooked perfect - I often eat at Nougatine (Jean Georges place). The ratatouille and Parmesan encrusted grouper was the best fish I've ever eaten. My daughter loved the crepes and my wife the white chocolate bread. At other resorts, we feel like we put on too many pounds because the best thing to eat is the pasta. Not here. One thing the french can do is cook. (sorry, Beaches) and the fish is amazing.

The shows at night - kids and adult are something to look forward to - not to be missed. The GOs put on a show for the adults with kids of all ages with an hour of rehearsal that would have taken most schools 4 months to produce (go Couscous Team - they are the ones that run the kids' camps.).

Cons: Now, I admit that the rooms are a bit worn. A bit like a beautiful woman who is aging gracefully - but we didn't use the rooms for anything more than the occasional siesta and to crash hard from all the sun and fun.

I almost didn't write this review because I would like to keep it more to my family than to have it booked up next time I'd like to go.

Hope this helps.

mike

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Punta Cana? Share your experiences!