“very good selection of amenities, very good food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Punta Cana

and 1 more site!
You added Club Med Punta Cana to your Saves list
Club Med Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Apartado Postal | 106 Higuey Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #43 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Edmonton, Canada
“very good selection of amenities, very good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

we chose club med for a summer caribbean destination as a way to relax without needing much planning. It was a beautiful site, lovely palms, clear water, and wonderful sandy beach. The food is superb, in two main restaurants and a waterfront bar. However, August is hot and humid, so air conditioning of the rooms is crucial. The beds 'creaked', so this was a minor shortcoming

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Mike_J1963,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our resort. We're so glad you enjoyed our dining options, amenities, and more, but we apologize for the concerns you addressed about your stay. Please know we're looking into these matters immediately, and we very much appreciate your feedback. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us; we can't wait for your return!
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The CM in Punta Cana is a beautiful resort with palm trees and a blue ocean. It was very clean and the GO's were amazing. However I can imagine that this is totally different in July and August when the resort is fully booked. In September there were only around 300 guests so it was really quiet and perfect for a relaxing holiday. We enjoyed playing tennis twice a day.

SPORTS
The GO's were very helpfull and kind to us certainly Roger and Caroline. We also tried water sports but due to a lack of wind and not very helpfull GO's we did not enjoyed the windsurfing as we had in mind.

ROOMS
The rooms were cleaned every day by very kind cleaning ladies who walk around with a smile all day long. We got new sheets every day. Some rooms are beeing renovated for the moment.

FOOD
The food was really good. Everything is fresh and prepared with an eye for details. Sometimes we missed the mango, as we don't like the idea of collecting our desert before starting our meal. Only the Hispaniola restaurant was open and there were lots of flies on the food, maybe they should cover more food. We both had intestinal problems but nothing severe.

SHOWS
The shows were nice, the circus team had a high level. We enjoyed every show.

CHEF DU VILLAGE
We first had Barq but we did not see him during his last week at the village. Then Gilles became chef and he is very nice, always around and willing to talk with everybody.

We have got one more remark. Maybe the village should invest in some electronic cars, the fuel smell bothered us.

We enjoyed every second of our stay thanks to a perfect GO team.

• Stayed September 2012
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear BelgiumM,
Thanks for the review! It makes us happy to know you enjoyed your stay and that you found our sports, rooms, food, shows, and staff to surpass your every expectation. We strive to make sure each guest has the best possible experience and thank you for your suggestions as we are always searching for ways to improve. We are SO glad you had a fabulous vacation, and we hope you visit us again soon!
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We are a family of three. My husband and I and our 14 month old son. I am a stay at home Mom and he is an executive who works very hard so we both needed a break. That should set the scene for my review! I will add as much detail as I can just to give you an idea of what is available, but also because I think it helps you know what to pack and what to expect.

If you don't want the finer details, here is the summary: If you want a place to relax and enjoy while your children are being looked after, this place is great. The room is good quality, but a little rough around the edges, the food is mostly average with some items being better than others, the service is friendly but not perfect. There are loads of activities to do and events to take part in, but it is a bit cheesy at times. (Some people love that!) Overall I think we got good value for money and had a great break in a beautiful location with friendly staff. I would say GO!

Now to the detail:

The room: We stayed in a Tiara suite which is the highest class of room offered here. They have a private pool and bar area and larger rooms with higher quality finishes. They are also seafront and all have uninterrupted views of the sea (Aside from those by the pool where you might get more people in front of your room, but withstanding that, a great view). You have a wooden deck outside with two chairs and a table and beyond that have two loungers per room on the grass if you want to lay out and enjoy the sun. We had a family suite which is laid out as follows: you enter into a small entryway room with a side table. Off of this room are three rooms, the children's room which has a TV, closet, two single beds with bedside tables and a desk with chair. Its nicely decorated in a pastel sea theme. We had the Baby Welcome pack (which I will take about later) so the baby's stuff was in there.

Then there is a shower room with a large shower, toilet and sink.

Also you have the master bedroom which is almost like a studio itself. There is a large closet with safe, desk with desktop computer (not great memory and fairly useless but its there for email etc if you need it), flat-screen TV, minibar (which is stocked with free soda and tonic water, juices, beer and milk), you have a US king sized bed which is fairly firm but mostly comfortable (at home we have a top of the line bed and its a far cry from that but it did the job), two bedside tables (one with a clock radio) lamps and small reading lights on each side of the bed. There is a fan over the bed that keeps air moving as well as A/C that kept the room quite cool despite this being the hottest time of the year here. I saw some complaints on other reviews about the temperature, but unless you need meat-locker level temps or are really overweight this is a very comfortable level. There were a few things wrong with the room when we got here, but after I called the concierge, they were resolved right away (even the leaky toilet which had a worn gasket). A man on a bike showed up with tools and parts and fixed everything in an hour. The fact that the rooms aren't inspected to ensure everything is up to standard is a possible oversight, but issues were resolved right away and I was pleased with that. The WiFi connection is pretty bad though. It does tend to drop out during the day, but I don't think there is much Club Med can do about this. I would imagine the local internet service is not as reliable as it might be in other locations. You have satellite TV with stations in several languages and I enjoyed a little American TV (I am an American living in Switzerland so this was a treat!). Most importantly you have a Nespresso Espresso machine which makes mornings easier. That's about all I can think of on the room topic.

Tiara services: With Tiara, you get breakfast delivered to your room as part of your package. We did this twice in 14 days and decided most mornings it wasn't worth it. They have a selection of things to choose from but its mostly continental breakfast and cereal. Though you can request other things from the restaurant and they will bring them. We opted against this most mornings because the amount of food they brought for two was enough to feed a family of 5 and most of it went to waste. Plus, our 14 month old was getting in to everything so it made quite a mess. It was far easier for us to walk for 2 minutes to the Hispaniola and get a large selection of items to choose from and we could limit the amount to what we could eat. I think this service would be nice for a couple or family with older kids who are looking to laze about in the morning and enjoy the ocean. They also have room service available most of the day for $3 extra charge. You can get laundry done for about $20 a bag without ironing or something like $28 with ironing. You can also use the private concierge service to make dinner arrangements for you, arrange spa services, cabs, outside tours or anything you need. Its right by the rooms in the Tiara area so you don't need to traipse all the way to the front reception.

Baby Club: We stayed from the 2-16th Sept and paid £500 for full time Baby Club care. The Baby Club is pretty centrally located near the beach and has areas for 3 age groups. The Baby Club, Mini Club and Petit Club, there is a separate area for teens called the Ramp. The younger kids area has two playgrounds and two pool areas with slides and fountains and other water features. Even if you dont use the baby club services you can use the play areas with your kids. The Baby Club is closed on Saturdays so just be aware you do need to bring some toys and entertainment for your kids. There is babysitting service you can take advantage of that is a private service or you can use the Baby Clubs night session called Pajama Club. It is about $25 a night and runs from 8pm -1am, this means there is a break from when Baby Club closes until Pajama Club opens. Baby Club operates from 8:45am to 5:30pm. They will let your baby play in the morning, then go for lunch, then nap, sometimes pool and then in the afternoons snack and sometimes a parent/ baby activity starting at 4:30. They also take them for walks and do other activities. We would spy on our son from a distance (so he didnt see us) and he seemed to be having alot of fun with the GOs and other children. My only issue was that he was not getting enough sleep during the day, but I think that is not anyones fault. The GOs in the baby area were all really nice and friendly and would say hi to my son when they saw him at dinner or around the village. Overall, a great way for Mom and Dad to have some time alone while Baby is well looked after.

They also have Baby Welcome which means you have a baby bath, stroller (though not a particularly high quality one), bottle warmer and a pack and play in your room when you arrive. It does mean you dont have to bring your own which is nice. Though I must warn you there isnt a car seat from the airport to the village. We took a chance and held baby on our laps for the two mile journey, but some may prefer to bring their own for the cab ride and especially if you plan on taking your kids on trips to local villages or other day trips.

The Restaurants: We stayed in an off season period when there were only a couple hundred people in the village. I think at peak its about 1,600 guests and during our stay we've had about 200-300 or so people here. So access to restaurants and other facilities has been very easy. As we were Tiara guests we always had a table reserved for us on the patio area of the Hispaniola restaurant near the ocean every evening. I can imagine during peak times, this benefit would be even better as I can imagine tables would be hard to come by. There is another restaurant that was closed for renovations, the Cielo bar near the main pool which has snacks and drinks and Celeste bar which is open between breakfast, lunch and dinner times for snacking. The Celeste does have an advantage in that you can get made to order food which is fresh and delicious. The fish and steak were wonderful.At the main restaurants the food is served buffet style and for breakfast you generally see the same options of eggs, bread, cereals, fruits, etc. lunch is also fairly similar and every evening you will have a theme with a dress code and different styles of food. Overall the food was ok. I am somewhat picky about food and normally cook gourmet meals every night for my family as I enjoy it. Here the ingredients are not top of the line and the dishes are average. Though I must say some of the dishes were better than others. I am certainly looking forward to getting back to my home cooking after two weeks of buffets, I think you can probably find something for almost anyone but if you are used to gourmet food, this will not live up to that standard. However, it is pretty good for a buffet style. The only downside is (as mentioned in other reviews) the birds that will swoop down and nip on the bread and other food and poop on tables and people. But this is to be expected for a place with an open air dining area. It wasn't so bad that it was unlivable, but it is sometimes slightly annoying.The drinks you get at the bars and around the village are not top of the line either, the alcohols they use are pretty cheap, but it does the job, there is only one wine of each white and red and one beer on tap at the restaurants. You can pay extra for more expensive options, but be warned, if you are a whiskey snob, the Johnny Walker Black is NOT the same quality as you would find the UK, it is a cheaper blend. Most people probably wouldn't notice, but if you are a connoisseur then be warned.

Activities: There are quite a few, including golf, tennis, archery, swimming, windsurfing, sailing and as far as I know, they are all included! I tried a few, but mostly was laying around doing alot of nothing. The equipment seems to be in decent condition and of good quality. There are also fun activities like shows and games and parties that you can take advantage of too. We didnt because of our baby getting up everyday at 4:30-5am because of the time difference. We were in bed by 9 every night. Boring I know! haha.

GOs: They were great. Many sat with us during meals and we chatted about their lives. These jobs give people a chance to move around the world, meet people and try out different jobs. We met quite a few career GOs who had been working for Club Med for many years. They are happy, friendly, will say hi around the village and it makes for a nice environment.

The property: The beach was lovely and the village is quite walk-able (though some people have complained, but I can only guess they are used to driving everywhere). If you for some reason cant walk, there are carts that will take you where you need to go. You will notice people quietly working to keep the grounds neatly trimmed and clean. I thought it was pretty well looked after and nice to enjoy. The beach is regularly looked after to remove seaweed and to keep sand from getting too piled up in any areas. Overall a great village to enjoy.

Health: I must warn you, we also got tummy upset as many have described. If you travel alot like we do, you know this happens quite frequently abroad in less developed areas. There is a doctors office in the village and the doctor is a lovely man who is also a pediatrician. He gave us some pills and we were all better in less than 24 hours. So I don't think there is too much to worry about and it certainly didnt ruin my vacation. If you want to avoid it at all costs, avoid uncooked foods and wash your hands alot. We were willing to go for the tropical fruits and other items that are higher risk and in the end it didn't make too much of a difference.

Well that's all I can think of. Hope this was useful!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tiara rooms and they are wonderful if you want to have an uninterrupted view of the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear ShaShaShelby,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay at our Punta Cana resort. We are so pleased you and your family had a fantastic vacation and that you enjoyed all our resort has to offer like our dining, activities, and child care. We apologize for the concerns you mentioned, and please know we will be addressing them immediately. Thank you again for your insights as we appreciate any feedback our guests may have. We are so thrilled that you had a relaxing time, and we hope to see you again soon!
lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

It is probably the best vacation spot to go. The last eight years have been totally worth it to go there and you never get bored. This year was probably the best year yet and there is more years to come. The G.Os make it worth is because they are awesome and so friendly and they are there if u need any help. Also, the Ramp for teens is awesome because you get to meet many new teens from all around the world and hang out with them everyday. This year i met a lot of kids from France and some from Canada. It was so awesome. The G.Os at the Ramp are probably the best. This year it was Dany, Andy, and Mireille. It was sad because Mireille left in the middle of my trip because she was so funny, nice and energetic. I think that is what you need to be a G.O. of the Ramp so she was probably the best but I do not want to single out her because Dany and Andy were also one the best also. I will be back next year but for two weeks instead of one. If you need a vacation, go there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Andreas G,
Thanks for your lovely review! We're so happy you think our resort is the best vacation spot, and it gives us such joy to know you've visited eight different times! We're so pleased that our G.O.'s and activities have exceeded your expectations during each experience. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review, and we can't wait to see you next year!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I came to Club Med with my 14 year old son to spend some time together doing the activities we like the most, sailing and windsurfing. Over the years we visited several Club Med villages, and one of the reason we (and many others) keep coming back is that you know what to expect: all-inclusive service, good and diverse food, nice rooms, lots of sports and friendly service.
Arrival: This was he least pleasant part of the trip. Maybe the attendant was having a bad day, but he was really not particularly friendly... On the other hand the room was ready for us, and ten minutes after arriving we were on the beach, not bad...
Beach: really nice, plenty of shade under the palm trees. the water is quite transparent, and snorkeling from the beach is nice (the reef is 200 yards from the beach). There are many clumps of seaweed floating around, particularly if there are storms nearby.
Water sports: there were plenty of windsurfers and lasers to play with, and we never had to wait more than 15 minutes to use any of it. The equipment had clearly seen a few seasons and had major wear and tear, but the purpose is to have fun with, not going for the America's Cup.
Land sports: We played tennis and tried archery, and we had a great time, thanks to Roger and Christine (Tennis) and Tony and Yannick (Archery) we made quite some improvement, and all with a super nice attitude and patience.
Food: the resorts has two restaurants and one snack bar. The food was good and the variety was pretty impressive. The lobster night was probably the best.
Booze: I don't drink much, so not much to comment. The nice thing about Club Med is that you seldom see people wasted around despite the open bar policy.
Animation: classic Club Med, the choreography was surprisingly good, and the acrobats were simply spectacular. You need to be in the groove to appreciate the jokes, but if you manage to forget for a moment about the "real world" waiting for you you will have plenty of laughs.
Rooms: the room we got was a bit beaten up, but clean and with a nicely working A/C. The mattress was literally bumpy, but after a day of sport we really didn't care since we fell asleep right away. The service was good and the towels were changed promptly.
Overall comment: this resort has seen many years of use (and occasionally abuse), but the location is nice, the atmosphere is good, and the sports offering is great.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear FSC_FSC,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. We're so glad you enjoyed a variety of the activities we offer and that you found our dining and rooms to meet your expectations. We appreciate your insights as we are always looking for ways to improve, and we will be addressing your concerns shortly. It makes us so happy to hear you've visited multiple Club Med resorts, and we hope you'll visit us again in the future!
Roseland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

It's the best vacation spot to go to. I've been there the last eight years in a row and it is so worth it. It is so much fun. There is so much to do, and something for everybody. What makes the trip though are the G.Os. They are all awesome and so friendly. What also makes the Punta Cana Club Med so special is the ramp. The ramp is where all the teens go to hang out and meet other teens from all over the world. It is so cool. The G.Os that run the ramp are awesome and super fun. This year was Andy, Danny, and Mireille. Mireille was my favorite G.O of the trip. She is awesome. I recommend this resort to everybody. You will want to go back. I recommend two weeks because one week always feels too short.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Arthur G,
Thank you for the kind words! We are happy to hear you loved your stay with us and you'd recommend our resort to anyone. We are especially glad you found our G.O's to be friendly and that you loved all of our activities offered. We are so glad you had a fantastic time and can't wait for your 9th visit!
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Had a great time for 1 week Aug 25th. Went with my 11 yr old son and 76 yr old mum.
I have been to other resorts in Punta Cana, last time was the Majestic Excellance 5 star. Clubmed was different because of the involvement of the staff with the guests. This makes a huge difference - it felt more homely even though accomodations were not 4 star.
Pros
Good teens club - had an 11 year old and he had fun. Organized activities from 9am till evening - there was something for him to do all the time.
Loved the pool and the bar which had an awesome view of the ocean.
I especially enjoyed the range of classes offered for stretching, Zumba and aerobics from the palapa facing the ocean. It was fun and helped the body relax.
Liked the fact we did not have to book restaurants and be there for particular times. It was buffet - and we enjoyed the variety of meals. My mother 76 especially enjoyed the tropical fresh fruit.
Liked the fact the room was split into 2 sections so my mum had her own space.
Giles the GO manager was always walking around and making sure guests are OK.

Cons
We had to change rooms as the walking was far from the room for my mom - had to wait 2 days for a room closer even though we had requested it when booking. This wasted a day. However the room we received was good.
Reception staff were hit and miss. Marielle helped us get the room. Jasoban (the nice man with his mum's name tattooed on his arm) was very helpful at checkout. He even checked my flight on Sunwing was on time on his iphone as my internet had only a few minutes left. Hector just asked me to wait for another lady who did not show up at all for 30 minutes so I waited until Jasoban was free. Hector was a bit sullen - did his job but could do it without looking so depressed and uninterested. Elvis was good. I am self employed with over 60 staff and the amount of work I had to finish to get to the resort was humungous so did not have to worry about work. My employees are taught customer service comes first with a smile. To get staff at the reception who cannot exchange a smile and looked vacant was a bit of a downer. Also to work in a resort with a million dollar view of the beach should be a privilege and no reason to not smile. My thanks to those who helped me.
The teens club was great but my recommendation is for Clubmed to have a poster outside the Ramp with the days activities so parents know where their kids are on a daily basis. I know myself and one other parent from UK seemed to bump into each other often just looking for the teen just so we can tell them where we were !
Would have been great if the excercise palapa could have offered meditation or gentler activites for the elderly as there were many elderly people at the resort who could not join the fun.
Great holiday ! Would return

Dear 179JimmyK,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We apologize for your brief discomfort; please know we will be addressing these issues immediately and that we appreciate your feedback. We're so happy you loved our pool, food, activities and our other fabulous amenities. Thank you again for sharing your insights; we can't wait to see you again!
Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Punta Cana? Share your experiences!