“Another reason why I love the Dominican Republic” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

Save Saved
You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston, Massachusetts
“Another reason why I love the Dominican Republic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I just returned from my second trip to Punta Cana. This was my first time staying at Melia Caribe Tropical, as I previously stayed at the Majestic Elegance (which is slightly higher rated and slightly more expensive). All things considered I would certainly say Melia is a great value when comparing to the higher price of Majestic.

There were four of us with two rooms. We arrived a little later in the day around 6pm. Upon arriving we were greeted in the lobby and offered a cocktail. The woman at the front desk (who's name I do not remember) was not overly friendly. She did not offer us Royal Service, however we inquired if it was available. Initially they quoted us $50 per person per day ($700 total for the 7 nights per room). We got them down to $35 per person per day ($490 total). After taking payment, we were escorted to the Royal Service lounge. As we waiting for them to finish and give us our wristbands, we were given mimosas. Eduardo Rodriguez was assigned as our butler and took us to our rooms, assisted us with the safe, and gave us phone numbers we would need. The suite (4606) was massive with a full kitchen and separate bedroom. This would've been worth the $490 upgrade alone.

Sadly after he left us that night, we didn't hear or see from him for days. On Monday night my friend called to have her jacuzzi setup. After returning from the pool, we found Alex Rijos setting up her room. From that point forward, Alex provided us with incredible 5 star service. Anything we needed from him we got. He was extremely attentive, took notes for things he needed reminders for, and was extremely punctual. He setup a horse drawn carriage to pick us up one night for dinner. Anytime we ran into him during the day he was genuinely excited to see us. Of the four in our group, I was the only one that is fluent in Spanish, but Alex always went out of his comfort zone of his first language and would speak English to us when we were talking about things that we all needed to know about. His English was very impressive and was able to switch from speaking Spanish with me to speaking English to the group with ease. Upon checkout, I requested to speak with the manager (I'm sure they thought I was about to complain). I made it a point to tell the Royal Service manager how amazing Alex was and the service he provided us. I know that in this industry comments like that can go very far and it was important to note what an asset Alex is to the resort. I had leftover pesos when I was leaving and gave them to him and told him to go out this weekend and have a drink on me. He was so genuinely grateful for the gratuities we gave him for his services.

During out seven night stay, we dined at Gabi twice, El Guarapo Dominican restaurant twice, and once at La Hacienda Mexican, Ma Maison French, and the American Grill. Having had home cooked Dominican food before I was hoping for the best at El Guarapo. I was overall pleased. I had the mofongo one night and the fish the second. The mofongo was a bit dry. Our waiter the first night brought us over a plate of tostones and cerdo horned (off the menu) after I was telling him what I usually get a Dominican restaurants. Both times at Gabi I got the lobster (which is not available to non-Royal Service guest and must pay a $39 up charge). La Hacienda and American Grill were both average, La Hacienda being slightly better. The night we went to Ma Maison was a massive disappointed. We had 8:15 reservations and were not seating until 8:30. The service was incredibly slow and waited nearly one hour for our entrees to come out. Between us, we had the steak, the chicken, and the duck. I ordered the duck and it was hard and dry. It was like to stones. Duck is usually very moist and falls apart. The steak was tough and smothered in a very salty sauce. Within minutes we got up and left. The manager came running out after us and was asking me what was wrong. I told him the food was awful and service was slow (being 9:30 now). He begged us to come back in and took notes down and said that he is in charge of the restaurant and will ensure the chef knows this. Horrible food and service, but I must say he did try to rectify the situation so I can give him that.

We usually would do the Royal Service beach in the day and then go to lunch around 1 and finish the day by the Gabi pool. Waiter service on the beach was a bit slow. The problem may have been that there was only one waiter. I heard other groups complaining too. But the service was friendly. At the Gabi pool, I had the pleasure of meeting Emmanuel Reyes who was excellent. He always had us 4 chairs waiting for us with towels on them. Dulce Garcia was always very attentive and made great drinks that were never weak, always the right amount of alcohol. She was so friendly and we had many laughs. Ramón Solano always helped me one day when Emmanuel wasn't by the pool when we showed up. He also was very attentive and Ramón and Emmanuel were constantly circling the pool helping guests. My last day Ramón told me that him and Emmanuel are very close friends outside of work, which is all the more impressive that they didn't let their friendship interfere with their work.

The Gabi area at night was very relaxing with ambient music softly playing in the background. The Bali bed in the sand were very reminiscent of some of the expensive Miami clubs in South Beach. The Royal Service also provided evening maid service and turn down service. Jenifer Terrero Batista came by a few nights and was excellent.

If for nothing but the service, I would return to Melia. I think their areas that could be improved on are their food offerings and quality. I've traveled to many AI resorts. The food was exactly what I was expecting but I feel that food is the area all AI's can improve on. The Royal Service at the right price is a great experience. I would be excited to return in the next few years to check out the new Level area which from what the Royal Service manager told us is similar to the Royal area but will be adults only. My only reservation about trying the Level would be making sure Alex would be there. I cannot say enough about him!

Thank you Melia for another memorable trip to the Punta Cana and reminding me why I fell in love with Punta Cana and the Dominican people a few years ago.

Room Tip: Upgrade at checkin. Negotiate the upgrade fee. Decide if you would rather have a short walk to the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear cwm8718;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

As a service-oriented company, we highly appreciate our guests' opinion and therefore we recognize the value of taking your time to let us know about your experience. I want to give you the thanks for your comments and for selected our Melia Caribe Tropical for enjoy your last vacation.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by; Eduardo Rodriguez, Alex Rijo, Enmanuel Reyes, Dulce Garcia, Ramon Solano and Jennifer Terrero; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,132)
  • Finnish first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our concierge Alex was always available and very helpful. all the staff were friendly and professionnal. the beach area had a lot of algea and could have been cleaned more often. the chairs were confortable and service at the beach was good. loved the variety of restaurants and the food and service were excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear michel j;

Receive our warmest regards from Punta Cana.

I would like to thank you for your loyalty and preference to our Meliá Caribe Tropical. We are pleased to know that we have met your expectations in your recent vacation in our property.

We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding the services and attention provided by Alex Rijo of our hotel staff, as a service oriented company we feel proud of their level of services that surpass our client´s expectations.

We cannot wait to welcome you again here in your "Home away from home” and create new unforgettable moments of your vacations with us.

Regards,

Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was our first trip to an all inclusive resort. The resort had everything we needed, as we keep our vacations pretty simple. The value for the stay was great, most of the staff were very nice and the pool/beach areas were outstanding. One part of the trip that sticks out is the many evenings we spent at the Avenue Bar. This was mostly due to Johnny, Francisco, Benigno and Rigoberto being so friendly and helpful. They were the best! Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Ricky E;

Warms regards from Punta Cana.

We would like to express our gratitude for having taken the time to express your impressions and for your preference in out Melia Caribe Tropical for enjoyed your last vacations.

We truly appreciate your kind comments regarding the services and attention provided by Johnny, Francisco, Benigno and Rigoberto of our hotel staff, as a service oriented company we feel proud of their level of services that surpass our client´s expectations.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to continue counting with your loyalty and serve you in another occasion here at “Your Home away from Home”.

Kind regards,

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I first want to thank our Conciersior "Levio" he was at our service for every need we may have had. He speaks great English and only wants to be helpful. My second "thank you" goes to the wait staff and cooks the night of 4November2103. My Son was married on this day. At our wedding dinner my shoe broke, and the wait staff and cooks took my shoe and 30 minutes later my shoe was fixed!!!!!! What awesome service and gesture to do for us!

We will return again for sure!

Thank you Melia and Levio!

Room Tip: Room 1016 the shower "bath tub" is tricky to get in and out.
Dear Holly D;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one. We are so happy because you had a fantastic vacation in our hotel.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Livio; it’s thanks to employees like him that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Hope to see you again at your “Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical”.

Yaphank, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was our first trip to Dominican Republic, and it won't be our last. We were extremely pleased with the value or this resort. Our family of 5 traveled, and stayed in two rooms. My son is Autistic, and can be difficult if resorts are not just so... but that being said, he loved this place. It broke our hearts that when we left, he kept calling out the housing number, '29' as he had gotten very well accustomed to his stay.

Our stay for 8 days was filled with variety. We wanted to simply go to a place that was relaxed, and we found it here. Let me start with the food

We tried as many of the restaurants as we could. I read may of the reviews saying the food wasn't that good, but we were frequently surprised. We liked the Italian, the Fish, and the Dominican Restaurant. (The Dominican had a great goat stew. Although it is a boney meat, I found it to be very tender. the sauces was incredible.) We were surprised at how good the French restaurant was, especially since it wasn't our first pick. They served a Duck with Cherry Sauce that was fantastic! We did not like the steak and lobster for the extra cover charge. Mind you, we are from the east coast, and are used to fresh Maine lobster. The lobsters served here were really large Langosteins, and had a gritty taste that wasn't very fresh. To the cooks credit, he brought us 2 entirely new ones... but what can I say, we just did not like it.

We tried other places as well, the beach diner and the Market Place. I have to say, the Market place has gotten some very unfair reviews. They had an insane amount of food there, with a very varied selection. One night there, I had the best Lamb Shanks I've had in years. We liked that style since it catered to all our tastes. And it kept changing. Over 8 days, we saw many different items show up in the buffet. Nearly all the waiter were courteous, and helpful. Arnold Flerival and Mykle were great, and eager to please. Only one waiter was rude, but that was out of 24 meals, so I can handle that.

On to the rooms. I've read reviews of the smell of mold in rooms. I've also read people changed rooms and such to avoid it. I will admit, we smelled a slight odor when we entered. But the maid service really cleans those rooms top to bottom. (I know, because I observed their efforts while I was in a adjoining room one day...) You do get used to it over time. It is after all a tropical environment. (Of interest the toilet paper is sprayed with some kind of cologne... didn't bother me, just a little weird....)

Pools were nice, we spent a lot of time there. Somedays, we would go reserve a Havana hut half way between the pool and the beach to suit our needs. The bartenders were eager to please, a lot of mixed drinks with frankly too much sugar. But we just switched our tastes, and tried different things everyday. Its not top shelf liquor, but it wasn't bad. (We did develop a taste for Mama Juana, a mixture of wine, rum, and spices...) The beach was not great honestly. There is a lot of seaweed there, that looks like a long form of grass. We would move to sections where there was less of it, but it was pretty hard to avoid.

The water sports area was cool... we took out a paddle boat, and I got to try my hand at a catamaran. Pretty awesome, they'll show you how to sail, for free!

I'm not in to massages, but my wife and sister were. They went for a day at the spa where Gladys D. and Katherine M. gave them what they said was one of the best massages they've ever had.

Last thing I will mention is this resort is huge. There are trains that take you everywhere, and you can get a golf cart to take you where ever you would like. Be prepared to walk and tip you way around. (I brought a lot of money to tip, and I tipped everyone. I think it did improve my service in many places, but that wasn't my reason. I just found the workers to be sincere and happy. I think its worth letting them know in a monetary way, you appreciate that.)

Over all, it was a great trip. Not saying it was perfect, there were a few problems, but nothing I'd be too annoyed about. We already promised we will return in a couple years. It was well worth it!

Dear David G;

Receive our warmest regards from Punta Cana,

On behalf of Meliá Caribe Tropical, We would like to express you our gratitude for your preference to our property for the enjoyment of your vacation. We really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure to know that you had the best vacation with us.

We are very glad to know that Arnold flerival, Maykel, Gladys and Katherine surpass your expectation and went out of their ways to make sure you were pleased and satisfied during your vacation stay. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again here in your "Home away from home” Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web community Liaison
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I want to begin by saying that my wedding was by far the most memorable celebration of our lives. We are deeply grateful and appreciative of the service that we were given, the flexibility and the treatment given to all of our guests. Manfred, the director of the hotel treated us like a family and personally assisted us with the organization of the wedding.

If I had the chance to marry again (which I will never plan LOL), I will most definitely choose to do it back at the hotel. It was most a fairy tale that came true.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MeliaCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear karldentist;

Receive our warmest regards from Punta Cana,

On behalf of Meliá Caribe Tropical, We would like to express you our gratitude for your preference to our property for the celebration of your wedding. We really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure to know that you had the best stay with us.

We are very glad to know that Manfred Schoebel our General Manager surpass your expectation and went out of their ways to make sure you were pleased and satisfied during your stay. It is only through them that we can be a successful Company.

Web community Liaison
Higuey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This resort was just okay, would stay elsewhere next time. Service at the pool buffet was poor, everywhere else was better. More staff needed in service and bar areas. Resort is very beautiful but very large and spread out. Even if you don't mind walking you will need to take the train from time to time because walking to dinner in 85 degree, 100% humidity will get to you after a while. Timeshare pitches are most annoying. I don't know if it is the same at all resorts but this was rediculous.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Nvr2Far;

Receive a warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Warmest regards from Punta Cana;

Thanks for your commentaries; I am Helia Estrella, Web Community Liaison. Beforehand I want to apologise for the incommodities you had during your vacations in Melia Caribe Tropical. For us it is great value to receive our guest’s observations for it helps us maintain and improve the quality service that we provide on current and future stays.

We sincerely offer our apologies for the impression you may have received due to the services of our colaborators, that definitely is not the image we wish to project and I can assure this is not a common situation in our resort taken in consideration that Melia Caribe Tropical is a service-oriented company. Even though I can assure you that we continuously work for improve the quality of our services.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you get through. Let this not be a motive for you not to stay with us in the future. I guarantee you that your comment has been forwarded to the departments involved in order to find and apply ways of improvement and be able to prevent future matters.

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!