“Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

Save Saved
You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #31 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Oakville, Canada
“Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical in the Royal Service section of the hotel through RCI in room 4827. Directly across from the Gabi restaurant. Perfect location. I just wish we had been in building 48 with a pool view instead. The trade off was it was a very quiet spot.
There are great staff in the hotel and not so great staff in the hotel. Any contact with reception was a chore. On arrival the bell boys greeted us and showed us to the VIP reception. On contact with reception the lady seemed annoyed and ran through our VIP privileges so fast it was impossible to absorb. Any call to reception I was immediately put on hold. It felt like these ladies were extremely overworked. Our private butler took us to our room, told us he had 3 days off in a couple of days and did not hear from him again. Our impression was that having a butler he was to do private room service, bar service, keep our room in order etc. but not at all. Didnt really see the point in a butler after that. Our room was cleaned very nicely by the maid daily. No complaints there. The maid went out of her way to accommodate us with any requests.
We enjoyed most of the restaurants but the Gabi restaurant by far had the best food. Really there was no need to go to any of the other restaurants. The service and the staff were by far superior. We enjoyed great service from Raymond and Aiphonso. Alphonso gave my husband a hug which was very touching. Evelyn kept us very happy at the Gabi pool bar and found David Reyes at the Royal Service beach bar gave exceptional service in every way possible.
The staff on a whole do everything they can to make your stay the most enjoyable vacation they can. A great holiday and would definitely go to the Royal Service section of the Melia again!

Room Tip: If in the Royal Service section pick building 49 and ask for a pool view but bear in mind there will...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear SandyOakville;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana

Thanks for your commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one. We are so happy because you had a fantastic vacation in our hotel.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Ramon, Alfonso and David Reyes; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Hope to see you again at your “Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical”.

9,563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,067)
  • Finnish first
Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The attentive staff helped make my stay in Punta Cana one of the best vacations I've even had. The rooms are well appointed with a wet bar and a wonderful ocean view.
The gentle breeze over the white sand beach and turquoise water were just what the doctor ordered. When it was time to see other parts of the island the hotel suggested a number of options. From a private driver, rental cars or four wheeling.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear TJH54;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one, is a pleasure to us knows that you have had a really amazing time.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Stevensville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are first time visitors to Punta Cana and will now be repeat visitors. Our experience at the resort started with our exceptional Royal Service staff (butlers) Danny De Leon' and Pablo Martinez Garcia, who went above and beyond what we expected. They were very professional and courteous, yet a lot of fun and made our stay very memorable. Also, very accommodating was Yahaira at Royal Service guest services.
I recommend upgrading to Royal Service.....it is well worth it.
Dan & Michele Lebling

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal service and pack sunscreen as it is super expensive at the resort. The grounds are...
Dear MLebling;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; is a pleasure to us to know that you have had a really good time in our hotel; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Danny de Leon, Pablo Martinez and Yahaira Lugo from the Royal Service; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

New London, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

the resort was nice enough, but noticed they do not keep the grounds as clean as they could. Don't clean around the pool area or the walking trails but once a week as far as we could tell. The rooms were nice and the cleaning ladies did a good job. Found out after we got there that beer is not included in the mini bar in the room. Have stayed in similiar resorts where this is included. Have a couple of specialty restraurants where you have to pay more to dine there even after you paid for all-inclusive! The staff was very friendly and accomodating even with the language barrier. Noticed at the buffets that the food was not very warm.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms depending on where you want to be located. We had a room close enough to th...
Dear suntraveler661;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you for your preference in selecting our Melia Caribe Tropical for your vacation, as well as for letting us some details about your recent visit; I am Helia Estrella, Web community liaison. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest's opinion. Please accept our apologies for the situations you experienced during your visit.

Regarding the cleaning in our pool; I can assure you that this situation is not common. However these faults are recognized and are immediately dealt with to ensure the guests satisfaction.

On respect to the language; for example is a barrier that most travellers will experience when travelling aboard. Please keep in mind that the area itself has limited resources as to the quantity of staff with fluent English. We are aware of this issue and constantly help our team better their language skills.

We are really concerned to know that you were not totally satisfied during your vacation in the hotel. Please accept our apologies for the experience during your visit and any inconveniences that this may have caused. If you wish to contact us on a private matter you may reach us at calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

Houston-Tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I loved the resort and the Royal service. The ladies at the Royal service do their best for your comfort.
Excellent food. Even the buffet Gabi, was nice and they also serve a la carte. The wine was not that good but all the other drinks were nice. The people there are great, the beach great, location, room, everything.
I just dislike see a family resort allow ladies with topless. Families with their children had to share the space with those people that love to expose their body but I haven't seen complainning...just me,I think.

Room Tip: The Royal service offer to the members a little more, however, I think tehy are nice to all guests.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Houston_TxFriend;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

I would like to thank you for your positives commentaries in the name of our team of work; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one, is a pleasure to us knows that you have had a really amazing time.

Flushing, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our 1st trip to Punta Cana and Melia Topical and I can tell you it was a great vacation.When we arrived we were upgraded to "Royal Service"and I want to tell you it was just that "Royal". From the minute we arrived everyone made you feel special. The room was beautiful The ground impicably manacure and the beach one of the best i've ever been on and I've been on quite a few. The food was very good especilly breakfast at the Gabi. We had the same waiter every morning [Ramone Sosa] and was always greeted with a cup of coffee and a great big smile. He was always there to make your meal a delite. The place is very large in area but there is always someone there with one of there many golf carts to take you were ever you need to go.The people who run this resort really know there business and it shows by the smiles on everyones face.

Dear tom p;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you for your positives commentaries; it is for us great to know that you spent a really good time in our hotel, we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Ramon Sosa from the Gabi Restaurant; it’s thanks to employees like him that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived to Melia Caribe on Tuesday February 19, 2013, our group was of 33 people and it was for our wedding. Overall our stay was wonderful, we truly had the time of our life and so did all our guests. However, our week did not start out so great, we arrived at the lobby for check in around 1:00PM and was very dissappointed after we faced a check in that took about 4 hours. I booked this trip in September, all my room requests have gone in by the end of November 2012 which gave the resort 2.5 months of notice that we were coming. When we were checking in, we let all of our guests check in first, everyone was tired and hungry (we were in the airport from 5AM). After I noticed that the check in is taking an unusually long time, I came to speak to the clerks. I have to say I'm not one that usually complains, but all these employees seemed to be so careless about anything that we had to say. After some time I began to get frusturated, we had a child and my 82 year old grandmother with us that needed to get some food and rest, never the less no one at the front desk seemed to care. They wouldn't explain to us what the issue was, she kept giving me a blank stare and sayin 'we are trying' when nothing was done. Finally, after asking to speak to the manager several times, he comes to speak to us (he seemed to be more careless than his staff) he explained that they weren't expecting us and we need to give them some time. I was so shocked, I sent my room requests and list of guests way in advance, I received confirmation that they received it, now they tell me that 'they weren't expecting us?', then he also told me 'sorry we are overbooked', I didn't understand how a FIVE star resort can say something like that to their guests, when this trip was booked well in advance and it was for a large group for a wedding, our rooms should have been reserved already, OR at least tell us they are not yet ready, here are your bands so you can use the buffet, walk around, and come back at a later time to get your key, but they didnt want to do that for us. After a long afternoon, my fiance and I finally get to our room by 5 PM. The next couple of days, 5 of our guests were running back and forth to reception trying to change their rooms, either because something in the room was broken, there were ants, or it was old, but eventually they all received their rooms and everyone was setteled in. The resort is split into two, one side has the older rooms, and the other side has the more upgraded renovated rooms, my request was for all my guests to receive the renovated rooms as we are a large wedding party and considering the price everyone paid per ticket, i was hoping for everyone to receive a nice room as it's a 5 star resort. Once everyone was settled in, we finally started to enjoy our time. I just wish that reception was more pleasant to deal with, the customer service was poor and they gave us a bad first impression for a 5 star resort. However the service through out the resort was very good, all the restaurants had delicious food, no one got sick and everyone really enjoyed the meals. We stayed in room 3021, our cleaning lady, Maria Simenez was AMAZING. She was the sweetest lady, she didn't speak any english, but we communicated so well with hand gestures, she was always at our service for anything we needed and kept our room so tidy. THANK YOU MARIA! Our wedding took place on Thursday February 21, 2013, we had our ceremony in the Garden Gazebo, and reception outdoors in the Ampitheatre, both locations were so beautiful. Our wedding coordinator was Esterlin J. Martinez, I was in touch with her since September/October of 2012 planning the wedding via email. She always replied within a day or two at the most, was very helpful and pleasant through out the whole planning experience. We met with her on the Wednesday, day before the wedding to finalize all the details. On our wedding day, we were really 'Wowed', i had a certain image in my mind of how things will be, but they definitely went above and beyond with all the decorations, service, food, and just everything was amazing. Esterlin also had an assistant (forgot her name), she was also very sweet and helpful, she stayed with us through out reception to supervise we had everything we needed, overall the wedding accomodations were are a 5 +++. The resort is very large and to get around takes some time, but if a couple is interested in getting married, I totally recommend to do it there, and the horse with carriage that they provide is such a nice touch and looks so great in pictures :)
If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear paulina m;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thank you very much for your review. It is a pleasure to know that you really enjoy your stay with us. It was our goal to make sure that your stay was graded as excellent. We really appreciate your comment.

I cannot tell you enough how deeply I regret the uncommon circumstances that you explained concerning your arrival, due the longer time that you spent waiting for your room to be ready after the check in. We would like to offer our most sincerely apologies on behalf our Reception.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Maria Jimenez from the Housekeeping and Esterlin your Wedding Coordinator; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!