“A Canadian destination wedding (80 people)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Caribe Tropical

Save Saved
You added Melia Caribe Tropical to your Saves list
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 45% off
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cloverdale, British Columbia, Canada
“A Canadian destination wedding (80 people)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Landing at the airport was an experience to start,its very unorganized but once you find your way to the bus it was all good.
I will start by saying for the price,its a great resort,the property is beautiful and very well maintained.It is quite spread out so you do a lot of walking,there are trains running around
on a regular basis if you dont like to walk.
The service leaves a lot to be desired but the people who work there are very pleasant.You will get NO service if you are demanding and tipping a dollar is better than nothing but $5 changes everything.We had people staying at all levels and although the Royal side of the hotel has very nice amenities,the extras you pay for are very rarely available.The first thing they do is try to sell you upgrades but you may not get your moneys worth and complaining gets you no where.
We stayed in room 4220 and were quite happy.a room with the third number a 2 is second story,ground level rooms can experience some water problems from the heavy rain that comes once a day for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so.
If you forget anything anywhere your chances of recovering it are slim,sunglasses ,phones etc.
Internet service is available for a fee but is very inconsistant,the Royal suites and pool have the best internet wifi.
The food is ok,but if you like great dining your best bets are the alacarte restaurants.You can get a great steak and lobster dinner but you have to pay $40 US per person.
The Spa is good,not the best,I had four massages in all ranges and the deep tissue for $100 was the best value,50 minutes,the Champi ( Indian head massage) was second at $60 for 30 minutes.
The pools are nice,the walkways and roads are VERY slippery when wet so be careful.
The clinic is terrible and the first qeustion is ID and money or get out! They dont care what your problem is.My nephew ate a piece of chicken at the wedding that had peanut sauce on it and he has a deadly alergie to peanuts,he was tossed out by the doctor because he had no ID or money on him and he barely made to his room to get his epi pen and could have died,we complained immediatly but there was no follow up by the Hotel manager or the Doctor even though they said they would.You are on your own :(
There liquor is standard,there is little high end except wines if you purchase by the bottle for dinner or by the bottle for things such as vodka.Nothing like Mexican hotels.I rate the food and drinks 3 star at best.
On to the wedding.
It was FANTASTIC !
As I said,the hotel and grounds are beautiful and very well maintained,this part could be 5 star.my Daughter ,the flower girls and I were picked up in a horse drawn carriage and taken to the wedding,it was magical.You pay extra for all these services but worth it,there was a Dominican trio playing music,champagne handed out to the guests and a choice of outdoor or indoor services for the wedding and the party depending on the weather.If you want better liquor you have to go uptown to the liqour outlet and purchase it yourself,they waved the corking fee but we paid for all the extras so it was all good.a truly wonderful wedding.
The beach is gorgeous,its the Caribbean so how can it not be :) The beach chairs are standard but well worn,they could use a lot of new ones.You have to walk to the pool a lot for drinks depending on where you set up for the day,the washrooms are clean and well maintained.there is a lot of staff and they do a great job of keeping the place clean.
Over all I give it a 4 star,I may be generous because of the wedding.For the price it was very good.It depends on weather or not service and food are high priority to you.

Room Tip: The best rooms for the money are buildings 30 to 40 ( newer but not Royal) The Royal suites are very...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Ed H;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; and select our hotel for your wedding, we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.

We apologize for the situation that was in a doctor and his nephew; we can assure you this is not something common in our hotel. Accept our sincere apologies.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your Home away from Home Melia Caribe Tropical.

Web Community Liaison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,179)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'd like to speak about the childcare offered at the resort. I was at first reserved about dropping off my toddler with complete strangers but it soon became obvious there would hardly be time to relax if i do not.
I gradually gained confidence with the staff at the resort nursery/ daycare- the Flintstone Club. They were able to quickly get my child interested in play, promptly feed and change her and put her down for naps. I ended up using the daycare quite a lot. I specifically noted the hands-on resourceful approach of Yennifer and Perla, but I know there were a few other girls and guys there who were with my daughter as well while Yennifer and Perla were at lunch or had a day off.
We also had a babysitter in our room- Megdalena- for a few nights so we could have intimate dinners and go dancing. Megdalena was outstanding- patient, attentive and most importantly able to put our very active toddler to sleep in a reasonable time.
They were just a delight, and although I did worry a lot, I see now that I had no reason to. This is a great resort to go to with a small child.
One thing to know is that the RS suites are at the opposite corner of the resort relative to the Flintstone Club. Was ok with me, however had to plan the rides there and sometimes walked (about 20 minutes). Also, if you are used to using baby carriers, don't bother with the hassle of taking a stroller to the kids's club. I used my mei-tai and ergo and it was way easier to get around the pretty but windy paths around the pools and the property that I had to go on to get to the kids club.

Room Tip: Royal Service
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aris_MCT, Web Community Liaison at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear TeoKoleva;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

Thanks for your positives commentaries; we hope you visit again Melia Caribe Tropical to have an unforgettable and better stay than the last one.

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Yennifer, Perla and Magdalena; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Please, contact us in advance to the following e-mail address when returning to our resort: calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My fiancé and I got back from our site visit in Punta Cana, DR. We are planning a wedding there, so we went to look at a few different resorts that we are considering for us and our guests. And while everything is still fresh in my memory, I wanted to share my thoughts with you…
PROs – very large, expansive resort (this can also be a negative if you are afraid of “losing” your guests or if you are looking for a more intimate feel). The grounds are plush and very green. Landscaping is immaculate. The rooms are very large and nice, even the standard ones. Lots of bars, restaurants, and there are definitely enough things to do on the premises. The proximity to the Jellyfish Restaurant (where we’ll have our wedding) is definitely a plus, especially if you want to run over to see Mayte or finalize any details on short notice.
CONs – the beach was dirty. And I don’t mean just sea weed – there was trash in the water, like paper and plastic cups. The resort staff said that they clean the beach twice a day, but it really didn’t seem like it. The pool area has a lot of palm trees, so it’s hard to see from one end of the pool to another. If you want to hang out with a large group of people by the pool, it may be hard.
The food was OK – not good, not bad. From what we hear, it’s pretty standard for all-inclusives. So, I’m not really sure how to categorize that one.

Room Tip: Try to book a room that will start with 01 though 09. Those are the closest to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear anya1114;

Troy MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I were married Nov 6th and we are still in awe of what we experienced last week. This resort is stunning! The wedding was more than beautiful, it was breath taking. An indescribable paradise we will remember always.We've only been home for 4 days and I have recomended Melia to most everyone I've run into. Check in was a little confusing, and I will say that some of the guest services staff was not as friendly or helpful as others, but nothing to ruffle our feathers over. Royal service staff was outstanding. Very kind and informative. Once check in was completed our entire group of 33 were all smiles the whole week. The service was excellent everywhere! Bars, resturants, cleaning ladies and drivers were always happy and super friendly. I found myself saying "buenos dias" instead of "good morning" back home just to feel a little closer to what inevitably had to come to an end. It's impossible not to form friendships with the staff. I especially want to mention Samuel Reinoso ( we love you Samuel). Also, Juan Adbrincoles, Esmarlin, Miquel, and I didn't get our cleaning lady's name, but we were in suite 49 and she took very good care of us. The rooms are very nice, clean and cozy. Refridgerator was well stocked and she always turned the lamps on to welcome us back home.
A very special thanks to Heinicy, our wedding cooridinator, for taking such good care of us. Her suggestions and professionalism is exactly what we needed to help us tie up loose ends and allow things to run smoothly and for that I am truly greatful to her. Thank you! What an amazing trip! Our entire group is already discussing when to go back.

Room Tip: We had the royal service bc we were the bride and groom, but all 31 of our guests were in the romanc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kati T;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Samuel Reinoso, Juan Adbrincoles, Esmarlin, Miguel and Heinicy; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We look forward to visit you guys again. Luis, evelyn, juan, and yasmin at gabi's and the rest of the staff. You guys are where grate, on top of your game, thank you guys. Samuel the bell staff captain and the front staff thank you. Samuel you're the man keep up the good work. Thank you melia crew for making our vacation well spent.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear deo2511;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Luis, Evelyn, Juan, Yasmin and Samuel; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon and had a great time with some exceptions.

The food was good for the most part with our favorite restaurant being the steak and lobster on the beach(which was an extra cost). There we got treated very well unlike at most of the others restaurants on the property. For breakfast eggs were under cooked, some food hot some cold, you had to almost beg for a cup of coffee some mornings and others they were right there with coffee and asking how you were and what you had planned for the day. At lunch it is always buffets that had some hot and some cold food, but overall tasty with a large variety. Dinner was good but the staff was not as attentive as we thought they might be. Food for dinner was hit and miss but it all depends on what you like.

The drinks have no complaints coming from us they were all very good. The beer was great too. We found that the Avenue Bar was the greatest bar on the property. Julio Cesar Felix, Vito Rosario, Victor Chapelle, Fany, and Yanelis were some of the best and friendliest people on the property. They always had a smile and greeted us especially Julio who would say "hello my friend". It made us feel at home.

Our concierge Patrick was very good to us and helped make this a great honeymoon. We could go to him for anything and he would help us out.

Check in/out went very well and everyone was very polite and welcoming.

Overall the property was very nice and well kept. We would love to go back someday in the near future and would recommend this resort to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GregUnitedStates;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Julio Cesar, Vito, Victor, Fany, Yanelis and Patrick; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Madison, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana Nov. 6 - 12 in 2012. We travelled with our 3 year old daughter and 9 month old son. This was our first trip to Punta Cana but we have been to other all-inclusive resorts in Mexico - this was our first time with the kids. The hotel grounds and facilities were beautiful and very well kept, staff was very friendly and the beach was great. The hotel is very family friendly but included all the things my husband and I like to do on these trips - sit on the beach and drink margaritas! Each day from about 10-12:30 we would drop off our little ones at the Baby Rock Club which was awesome - Perla, Jennifer and their colleagues were super with the children. My 3 year old loved the play ground and making crafts. Our baby usually napped at that time in the air conditioned nursery or played with one of the staff. Mommy and Daddy got some quiet beach time - I actually read a book on this trip! The food was pretty good for an all-inclusive and there were lots of choices to suit all of us - my 9 month old found lots of finger foods to munch on and my 3 year old lived on pasta and pizza. All of us loved swimming in the gigantic pools or playing on the beach (the water was very warm and very gentle for little ones). There were always plenty of other kids to entertain them. I was really, really worried about travelling with a baby to Punta Cana but the entire trip was fabulous. Here are some thoughts:

-Plenty of bottled water available throughout the resort and in the rooms. I use formula so I had to wash bottles in the bathroom but the tap water was super, super hot. You could also boil water in the coffee maker to sterilize. Each room also has a fridge.
-I packed tons of baby food just in case but only used it in the room...there was plenty in the buffets and restaurants to feed my son - lots of fruit, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, beans and rice, peas, steamed carrots, pasta, etc.
-Bring or buy kid snacks for the rooms and beach since there isn't much to take away from the buffets. I packed granola bars, crackers as back-up.
-You can buy diapers and baby food in the hotel shop but be prepared to pay double. It serves as a good back-up in case you run out.
-You can buy inflatables and beach toys for the kids or bring your own. The pools are big and my daughter loved floating up to the swim up bar and ordering kids drinks.
-It’s a HUGE resort so be prepared to walk. With little kids, its critical to request a room close to the pool and beach areas because of all the schlepping. Breakfast and lunch choices are nearby but all the dinner options will require a golf cart ride to the front of the property (which were pretty easy to hail down). The shows are also far away but our kids could never stay up late enough to enjoy them!
-We opted not to do Royal Service – it’s far away from all the kids activities and pools. Might be worth it if you are only adults as the drinks are pretty watered down!
-No bathtub so plan for showers for kids. Also, the rooms are all tile floors so not very friendly for crawlers!

Room Tip: if you have small kids, request a room near the baby rock club. The pool is huge and near a restaura...
Dear Peggymal;

Warmest regards from Punta Cana,

We feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by: Perla and Yennifer; it’s thanks to employees like them that we are able to accomplish our goal, the total satisfaction of our guests. Please be sure we will share this comment with our staff.

Contact us in advance to the following e-mail address when returning to our resort: calidad.melia.tropical@meliacaribetropical.com.

Web Community Liaison

Been to Melia Caribe Tropical? Share your experiences!