We just came back from our vacation at Melia Caribe. We usually take 2 trips a year one to the Bahamas and one to Mexico (for the last 8 years) we have stayed in 3 star hotels as well as 5 star hotels and never have I felt the need to write a review about our stay. This year to give the our kids a different experience we decided to go to the melia Caribe in Punta Cana.
For some reason things got off to a bad start and it was difficult for me after that to ignore the negative sides of our stay.
1. At check in we were being very much cooerced to pay an extra 50$ to get a room upgrade. They were very disappointed that we did not opt for this and stayed with our original room. So much so that the supervisor came over and asked us if not 50$ what would we consider paying for a room upgrade. In the end we stayed with our original room. This banter back and forth at check in was a waste of time and very unprofessional.
2. We finally got to our room and started unpacking.......and realized that the room was infested with ants. Ants everywhere.....in the bathroom, in the bath tub, on the tables, around the TV, on the wall where the mini fridge was, on the carpet in front of the sofa...big black ants, ants with wings, small sugar ants, tiny little ants that you could hardly see......SO....everything went back in the suitcases as we called "3000" to inform them about our situation. Their response was that this is normal and that they will send someone to fumigate the room......we told them that we had 2 young kids with us and they told us to leave the room and come back in a few hours and so we put our bathing suits on and came back 5 hours later.
Now you can imagine how we felt when we walked in and realized that nothing was done during our absence. We called "3000" again and asked them if they had fumigated our room and they said that they had not. They told us that they would come and do it NOW (6:30 pm).....meanwhile I have a 5 and 8 year old waiting and they can't sit anywhere in the room because there are ants everywhere. At this point they said that we should shower and leave the room for a few hours so they can come fumigate the room!!!!????? This is when I completely lost my cool and informed them that I was not going to put my kids in a tub full of ants and I was surely not going to let them sleep in a room "freshly" fumigated. I could not undrestand why we couldn't be given another room where there were no ants? After a long wait and talking to this person and that supervisor ......we were moved to another building where the room was ant free. And so this is how our journey at the Melia Caribe began.......unfortunaly. As I said before we have stayed in many other hotels and we have had many issues (like an AC not working or an AC dripping water, a small lizard in the room......)all of the other hotels have been able to deal with these issues instantly without arguing back and forth.
3. The rooms are not really cleaned on a daily basis. the beds are well made and the toilet is cleaned. The shower, the floors, the tables were not cleaned during our stay.
4. We were 4 in our room and only got 2 towels a day for the first 5 days of our stay. we got 5 towels on our last 2 days. We called "3000" twice to ask for towels at which time we were put on hold for 7 to 10 mins.........we really didn't feel that it was worth arguing about towels.
5. As for tips.......the staff never asked for tips as such but you could see the disappointment when you did not tip them. I myself work for tips and would like to inform them that at an all inclusive resort there is no way I am going to tip to GET good service but I would gladly tip extra if I GOT good service.
6. On a positive note, my kids had a great time at the pool and enjoyed the nightly shows very much. The food was good and they provided everyone with plenty of water.
I am sorry to say that I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. I am disappointed that I actually put my family in this situation. I feel (I know) you can get more for your money somewhere else.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Caribe
- Punta Cana Melia Caribe Tropical
- Sol Melia Punta Cana
- Melia Caribe Punta Cana
- Melia Punta Cana
- Melia Caribe Tropical Punta Cana
- Melia Tropical
- Melia Tropical Punta Cana
- Melia Hotel Punta Cana
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, Sol Melia Hotels and Resorts US, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Booking.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Melia Caribe Tropical reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.