“Best beach strip of Punta Cana, excellent food, great overall resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

Save Saved
You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #38 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa
“Best beach strip of Punta Cana, excellent food, great overall resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This was my 2nd trip to Punta Cana and it was again, a great experience. However, I did not feel this was a 5 star resort. I would give it a 4-4.5.

The resort is spread over a large area, which means the pace of it is slow, it terms of getting around, but it forces you to slow down and remember to relax. You also a trolley everyday to get to the beach and pool if you don't feel like walking. The hotel and the grounds were immaculate and the staff were very nice and went out of their way to assist in any way. There are shopping outside the resort. As soon as they see you coming the start coming after you, they are harmless, they just want you to visit their store. We used the internet everyday you can buy an hour and use it over the course of 5 days, so you don't have to use it all at once.

Beach : Amazing! The best i've seen so far and i've traveled alot, seen lots of beaches. Lots of chairs and great service at the bar. you can easaly find some shade if your looking for it.

Food : Again the food was GREAT, the best I've had in the Caribbean. I would rate the buffet a 5 star! Everything I ate there was delicious! Lots of variety. We also tried all the restaurants à la carte. The steak house is great (I recommend the T-bone!), the Japanese Excellent. The Chinese one I don't recommend but it was still good. I Can't remember the name of the French one but I would maybe skip that one for the buffet. Overall very very good!!

Drinks: I'm a drinker and know what I want so I was not to impressed with the selection of brand the had to offer in the beginning...but after flashing a couple dollars they go under the counter and gives you the Good Stuff. Bombay, Canadian Club, Jose Cuero name it they suddenly had it! And beer...well it's beer! They had every Mexican beer I know and for a couple dollars more you had again lots of international beer to chose from, but mostly Canadian and American. House Wine was OK ( the white one was actually good) but again, you need to pay 20-30$ a bottle to get the good stuff witch we did on a couple occasion.

Rooms : The rooms are nice, they have separate living room from your bed area. Lots of room and the terrace the relax with your coffee in the morning or drink in the afternoon. The bathrooms are the worst that I have ever seen at any AI that I have been too...But hey, I don't spend more then 20min a day in there so I didn't care that much. I would say that the rooms need an upgrade in the next year or so....I RECOMMEND Blocks 30-33 2nd level, close to the beach! Or block 10 if you want to be halfway.

Over all it is a gorgeous resort and worth every penny! I would definitely go back again...but then again, there's so much of them to try!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

4,649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

I read some of the negative reviews with alarm. This resort is part of our timeshare system, so we really could not choose one of the others. We were so relieved to find the nay-sayers to be dead wrong. I have something to add here that I have not seen in the other reviews. If you need anything from a store, don't buy from the shops in the resort, as you can get it less than a third of the price outside the gate. Now, if you walk to the gate you will be immediately greeted by men who want to accompany you around. We reluctantly went along with it, and allowed "Wilson" who works at the store across the street from the gate to go with us. His english is very good and we had questions, and he turned out to be a wonderful companion. He knew all the places to go to get what we wanted and we learned to trust his comments. We eventually gave him about $25 equivalent in pesos and sent him to get a large jug of rum. (We like to have it in our room for those times we didn't feel like going out to the bars at the resort). Although he could have disappered never to be seen again he hailed a motorcycle and while we sat and had a lemonade, he went to the cheapest store and came back with our purchase in hand and a huge smile. Of course we tipped him generously, but even so, the cost of the rum plus the tip we paid him was far less than what we would have had to pay at the resort. I cannot speak for the other people outside the gate, but if you ask for "Wilson" (whose real name is Angelo, I believe), you will be in good hands. it is nice to have him with you to go to the flea markets as well, because the shop owners will not descend on you, which can be overwhelming. Anyway, this was a wonderful vacation. The food was good (except the Pescadore restaurant where the lobster tasted like what I'd suspect monkey brains to taste like). This is not to be confused with the seafood restaurant on the beach, which was fabulous. Yes, the grounds are so big that you have to use the train, which can be annoying to wait for, but that's the price of having a huge resort with so much to see and do. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like to know anything more. Oh, I got a massage at the SPA, (80 minutes for $100) which was incredible).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

We attended as part of a group for a wedding.

The rooms we were given were substandard. They were located along the outer edge of the resort, next to another resort that had loud heavy music, and about fifty yards from a sewage treatment facility.

The doors were damaged, the bathtubs had the enamal breaking away, the countertops were broken and chipped, the bathroom fixtrues were falling away from the walls, there were dirty hand prints on the doors and electrical face plates and one bathtub had a partial bar of soap and soap scum on the bottom of the tub.

When you approached managment to complain, they spoke very little english.

If you indicated any interest in upgrading to being a Platinum Guest for another $1,000. US for the week, then they speak english very well.

They would give you a room in one of the newly renovated buildings located near the pools and/or beach. Included would be bathrobes, mini bar, private lounge and imported alcoholic beverages as well as free massages and use of the spa.

I would have to say that management of the resort is only interested in getting you to spend more money.

The gardeners, maid staff, waiters and waitresses were all very good and did thier best to help.

At the spa, the only thing included is the use of the hammocks, for everything else there is a charge.

The a la carte restaurants, all the early sittings are held for the Platinum guests or those wishing to slip the customer service rep some money.

We were told that there was no room available for several of the a la cartes' but the guy after us slipped the man a $10.00 us and got a 6:00 pm sitting after we were told there wasn't any available.

The only sittings available to us were 9:30 pm. sittings.

The lobby bar was slow for service unless they saw a tip in your hand.

The pool bar was alot better for service.

I do not recommend leaving the resort as you will have to deal with alot of the venders who refuse to listen when you say you are not interested.

The honeymoon couple paid almost double what we paid and expected to get the honeymoon suite. When they didn't get it, they complained to the customer service rep who showed that in the fine print, it indicated that it was only if a honeymoon suite was available, and supposedly, none were available, but they did not get any money back.

The food was very good with alot of variety and flavour.

The grounds were well groomed and colourful.

The pools and beach were nice with lots of chairs, but you had to be early to select the prime locations.

I found that being repeatedly approached by vendors around the pool and on the beach was very irritating.

This resort came highly recommended by the travel agent that was selected by a member of our group.

I have made several carribean vacations and definitely would not recommend this resort or the agent we had to anyone.

This trip has definitely helped me to decide that I would not return to the Dominican republic.

For the price I paid, I could have gone to a five star in Mexico or Cuba and had money to spare.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Punta Cana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We arrived around 3pm and after arriving to our room, we were very hungry. We found out that our eating lounge closes at 3 pm and does not open again until 7pm. This meant we had to chew on stale pastries that were sitting out as a courtesy at the bar until dinner at 7pm. Everything else went smoothly; the rooms were very clean and staff were available for anything that we needed. All meals were good with a nice variety to choose from. The beaches were clean and the beach bar was very well managed and responsive. All the people were very friendly. We took the Bavaro Tour which was very nice and informative and we even got to shop while on tour. Tour packets were aggressively marketed, however, you can simply say you are not interested and they will leave you alone. This was our first try to the island but will definitely choose to stay at the Bavaro again. Salute!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

After ensuring the night before departure that we had enough money to leave the country, counting all monies left, I carefully put my money in my travel wallet and locked it in the safe, only to discover once we arrived to the airport that over half my money had been stolen.
The worst of this was that we were not the only room that had been robbed, but countless other people leaving from the same hotel on the same day discovered once they got to the airport that vast amounts of money were suddenly missing.

Loved the Dominican and Punta Cana, but will never stay at this hotel AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Glos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We have just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Bavaro Princess, the weather,
Hotel, rooms, food and service were amazing. The staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble. We had read some negative reviews before we left and we were very anxious on our arrival. ALthough i would recommend taking some fabreeze! the room did smell a little but it can only be expected with the climate and being so close to the beach.
Theres not much for children to do we travelled with 7, 9, 13 and 14 year olds luckily they were happy to swim and make there own entertainment.
We ate in 4 al a carte restaurants and the food and service were brilliant my children can be fussy eaters but even they enjoyed the food.
All in all it was an amazing holiday i would definately return one day.

Be warned though everything is to tip for and there are alot of people working in the hotel promising to sell trips and water sports cheaper than everyone else they do leave you alone once you tell them you are not interested!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

we are mid thirties couple.- quite blessed with regards to travel ( she works for air canada) so yes we are no strangers to travel/hotels/ foreign countries etc
also note we are far from wealthy. and i totally acknowledge we are much more tourist than travellers.
this was our first all inclusive, so i dont have anything to compare to. i did my due diligence in choosing the resort. we picked a middle of the road location.
overall it was a good trip. cant really complain but definitely nothing special.

complaints: our package was all set up- and any normal person would expect a room to be ready when we arrived.- of course if it were morning or noon we wouldnt be surprised if we had to wait.

the situation was we arrived late. supposed to be 10 or 11 pm but we were delayed so it was more like 2am by the time we arrived at our chosen destination.
I am quite patient, and understand the 2 am maybe less than regular staff/ service. and sure we have no problem with the lineup

the major problem is as follows: our 6 or 7 nights( cant recall which) began on this saturday at 3pm or whatever checkin is. our arrival as mentioned was late- that night. we basically miss one day/evening but thats how it goes.
when we arrived- late late but not unexpected. we spent way too much time checking in. definitely over an hour.
this i could have accepted but after registering, half or so of the people ( not the first people in the lineup)
half got rooms, the other half were kinda politely asked/told to wait shortly and please continue to the restaurant.
cool. i could use a beer and Im hungry

cold cuts and cheese, very lame offering.but what make it worse- siting out in the hot humid dominicam night air sinc3 probably our scheduled arrival several hours prior
not cool. and no beer sorry its late
I can deal with the local liquor laws but I dont get it
didnt really wait all that long, probably anothe 30 minutes
i dont really believe our rooms were not ready/clean and that they were being cleaned at 2am?

not a good start.

had a good relaxing week. maybe a bit broing.
food was quite good not not amazing. room was good but also not amazing.

location is a very nice beach but very far from anything else.
we never left the compound.

I quite enjoyed it but not what i expected.
first night kind of ruined it for me

special restaurants ( one dinner for each) were not very special.
regular buffet was good