“Beautiful beach poor food handling” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #35 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
north jersey
“Beautiful beach poor food handling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel grounds are very scenic and the beach is beautiful however the remainder of the resort condition and food and beverage was well below par. The rooms are dated and require renovation, that was tolerable as our family and most guests were at the beach. Our family became ill from the food after 2 days(the water was highly chlorinated therefore I doubt it was the water). The problem was no isolated as a family from Amsterdam and Canada became ill as well. My wife and I observed the "recycling" of food and beverages from the cooling machines on the property. The property is rather large, which makes me wonder if we observed this at one food service location what occurs globally at the resort . The food and beverage manager should be dismissed or the management needs to pay closer attention to the management of the food service locations. I would suggest other hotels in punta Cana until this issue is corrected.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,081)
  • Polish first
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My new bride and I spent our honeymoon at this resort.. we had an incredible time. The resort was beautifully kept, the staff worked very hard to ensure that the place was beautiful. The room was beautiful and the daily service was fantastic. The only drawback to the room was the A/C.. it stayed about 78 degrees which is nice when you come in from outside but not the most comfortable for sleeping.. The food was awesome.. we had the buffet every morning.. fresh omelets and the buffet had a wide selection.. I personally loved the the fruit flambe'.... There was a good selection of other restaurants to choose from that offered Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Seafood and other a la carte restaurants.

The beach was beautiful and well maintained by the resort staff. White sand and beautiful tropical water, plenty of lounge chairs available. There was a snack bar and bar on the beach, we didn't swim in any of the pools due to the fact that we were in the Caribbean.. but they were well maintained and beautiful.

All in all... a FANTASTIC place to stay.. Hands down!!!! Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Honeymoon Suite.. which are in a separate section of the resort. Very quiet and nicel...
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My fiance and I just arrived home last night from Bavaro Princess. Iwanted to share a detailed review so that others can plan their trip. We traveled a month BEFORE our wedding to get a little R&R from working overtime and wedding planning and it was a great idea!

Positives:
The rooms!! we stayed in 135 and it was great. Lovely decor with nice shower and Jacuzzi tub. turn down service daily in the rooms and fridge always stocked, which is essential since the water is not drinkable. Our air conditioning worked, not as cold as what we are used to, but definitely worked. seems like many have had issues with this so we were lucky.

The Train: don't listen to the complainers, the train is always coming around every few minutes. Only twice did I wait 10 minutes, otherwise it was 2-3 minutes it seemed. the staff will load your luggage on the train too which i appreciated. once I did have a rude older woman run onto the train and prevent me from sitting down so she could have that seat. Otherwise the train was great.

The grounds: Oh my the grounds are beautiful! we enjoyed walking the nature trail with turtles, iguanas and rabbits. Peacocks are plentiful too on the resort. The lobby is also beautiful with turtles and parrots. The groundskeepers are always out maintaining the grass, trees etc. it is a large resort but who wouldn't want to walk around with that view?? The beach was very pretty and soft sand.The huts were wonderful to prevent over heating on the beach. Do not worry about peapole selling you things! No one bothered us about time shares etc. the only thing we had were locals selling hats, jewelry, sunglasses etc,on the beach. Which actually was okay because my fiance was able to get glasses when his broke and i bought cigars for my dad!

The Bartenders: were wonderful esp on the beach and at the pool bar! they really kept the drinks flowing and came up to our hut frequently to get us a fresh drink. we loved that. For good drinks we recommend: our favorite- the coco loco!!! so so good you will become addicted! my fiance loved the cuba libre but was way too strong for me. also the Sammy Sosa and Bahama mama i loved!
Tenuki: The japanese Hibachi was soooo worth the 90 minute wait!! I was pleasantly surprised that the sushi was so good!! i got the eel roll and loved it, possibly the best eel roll ive had! the soup was not good but the hibachi was almost as good as here in the US. the steak and chicken was good, shrimp wasn't cleaned so i stayed away from that. The veggies were delicious as was the fried rice! looking back i wish we ate there almost every night!

Canopy Adventures- zip lining: We LOVED this excursion!!! Patrick was our tour guide and he rocked!! we drove up to the mountains one hour each way and he narrated the whole time. once we geared up and went over instructions we were up in the trees. now mind you this is exhausting!! i have asthma and was huffing and puffing a lot as you have to walk/hike to many of the lines. so it is not for the non physically fit folks. the experience was wonderful while zip lining! ill never forget the views of the mountains and the thrill. on the way back, Patrick gave us samples of delicious chocolate, cocoa beans and the ORIGINAL Mama Juana which is a must try! so we bought two bags of chocolate and 2 bottles of the mama juana! total trip was 5 hours so plan your day accordingly. only complaint is we paid for the photographer package while there and at the end they give you a CD of everyone's pictures on it. i really hope it isn't a scam and the pictures are really on there!

Nexus tours/ Richard our excursion guide on site: we booked with vacation express and Richard was our man on site that explained things to us the morning after check in (and in perfect English!!) he helped us book 2 great excursions and gave us tips along the way. If you have the pleasure of working with him you will understand the humor of - "speed boat James bond"!!

horse back riding: for 45$ you can ride a horse for an hour+ on the beach! i think it was a wonderful deal just wish we were told up front how long we'd be gone for! we were gone for FIVE hours and were told it was an hour for this excursion!! which in turn made me miss my massage appointment and had to reschedule.It was an hour+ ride on a bumpy bus to the farm where we got on our horses and headed to a private beach. We were riding close to 90 mins which was nice as we expected 60 mins. back at the ranch was the most awesome little monkey!!i took many pictures with him! the staff was wonderful and took pictures of us with our phones so we didn't have to pay for the professional ones! our bums were sore but worth it!

Negatives: first and foremost, THE HEAT!! It is absolutely ungodly hot right now in Punta Cana! I wish more reviews mentioned this as we had never been and were expecting a nice breeze from the sea. yeah no!! prepare to SWEAT if you are not from that climate! the only relief was in our room but mainly from several cold showers daily. Tenuki was so hot they really need to consider their guests and keep the restaurant cool.

Check in: we arrived late Thursday night, exhausted from 12+ hours of travel and needless to say i had a meltdown when the man who checked us in was very rude! he was telling us in broken English, that beer was only included, not alcohol!! i was flipping out and all he did was shush us out to our room! luckily we met with our vacation express guide, Richard, in the morning and he calmed me and assured me drinks were included :)

- seaweed. this probably seems trivial but oh my there was SO much sea weed or as we called them sea monsters ha. you could not step anywhere without it touching you. It was not like the crystal clear water experience like when I traveled to Bermuda. I had to stay on my fiances shoulders until we could get past all the seaweed, out a little deeper.

pools: the pools are way too small and crowded for this resort. the swim up bar we only tried once as the water was SO warm! eek! from too many bodies in there. we wished there was a bigger pool but at least the beach is big and has a great breeze!

the food/bottom shelf liquor: well i will say the donuts are out of this world!!! try them all! Those, french toast and the fruit kept me okay at breakfast. lunch never seemed very good. a lot of funky fish that i wasn't willing to try and way to many starches. our last day there was mac and cheese which was pretty good! Spanish night was gross and I left hungry. El gaucho (the steakhouse) wasn't great either. the "filet" was tough and i returned it after we waited AN HOUR to receive it! People were seated after us received their meal and left before we ever saw ours! i think that was the fault of our server as he wasn't very through. the mashed potatoes were from a box and the broccoli was so hard it was inedible! The Cesar salad was great though as was the Argentinian steak. The bottom shelf alcohol really was a bummer for me! i would prefer premium rum such as captain morgan and parrot bay. upgrading was possible but for 60$ a day!! between the food and the crappy alcohol i did develop a lot of gas, more frequent stools and cramping since Monday and am still dealing with these same symptoms now at home. no vomiting or diarrhea though so that's a plus. BUT Mexican night was amazing at the buffet and we would recommend that!! the pork tacos were very good!

other tips:
-learn some Spanish or you may have issues! Luckily my Fiance Speaks it pretty well because the staff really seems to respond better to you when you speak their native language.
- we brought 300$ in 5 and 1 dollar bills and that was GREAT advice! we tipped very frequently at the bars and on the beach and it seemed to impress the bartenders
-bring lots of sunblock and bug spray. we forgot the bug spray and have bites. there is now an outbreak of an illness carried by Caribbean mosquitoes so be careful!!
-avoid the Mama Juana at the resort bars! its crap! The kind we bought is made with rum,honey, and red wine at the factory. Canopy adventures offers it for 20$. Otherwise you may have to go to the factory to buy the bottles.
- beach massage was relaxing but better deep tissue massages in the US
- the mattress really hurt our back the last night! we either slept funny or a mixture between the mattress and the horse back riding the day before because otherwise we slept great

Overall we really did enjoy ourselves and had a lot of fun!! We got what we went for and made memories! If R&R is what you want then I would recommend staying here! If you want to travel around the Island I'd say go somewhere safer to do that.

Room Tip: all rooms are good!! 135 was a short walk to the beach and pool
Southwest Ranches, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This resort is very nice but they seem to have an ongoing issue with the air conditioning system. we spent six days sleeping with no air conditioning it was so hot we would wake up several times in the middle of the night. The staff would continue to say hat the resort was working on the problem but it never got fixed. I was told that it seems to be an ongoing problem at this hotel. I don't recommend staying there the heat was unbearable to sleep in.

MILFORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived to Bavaro Princess and were put in a room right in front of the beach. This room had no air, so we reported it, being told someone would come right out, so we went to dinner and when we came back, no one had come.. After several hours it was still not looked at, and at 10:30PM we were moved to another room that had a 15 minute walk to the beach. The room was nicer, and cooler, but it was a bummer to not be close to what we came for. That being said, the rest of our trip went well.

Positives:
Bavaro Princess is on a beautiful beach, and the workers there all work hard to keep up with the grounds, to serve you at the restaurants, and they all have a very pleasant demeanor. The bed was comfortable, the rooms were nice, and the set up was nice, only having a few rooms in each building, which made it quieter. The restaurants had good variety. We were impressed with the food, and the drinks. (Most others on our flight at different resorts were not happy with food where they stayed) The grounds are very well kept, there are flamingos, chickens, and peacocks on the grounds, and water areas with turtles. The pools are nice, and the swim up bar had very friendly bartenders. The casino is basic, but a fun place to check out, plus it is one of the only places with wifi. The tram system was convenient, and saved lots of time getting from the main building to the beach. The Honeymoon suites are in a quiet, no kid area, but they are way back from the beach. The rooms were more updated than the other bungalow suite we started in.

Not so positives:
The grounds are HUGE. It is a long walk from the back to the front, and know you may not stay close to the beach. Be prepared to wait at restaurants unless you show up at opening. We waited an hour for the Hibachi grill, but the food and atmosphere were worth it. There is no late night food, or food between meals, so when getting on a plane that is not after a meal, be prepared to be hungry. A snack bar is a must need at this resort, especially when there is so much drinking in the evening, and for between meals. Also, for this to be a 5 star resort, everyone should be treated like an equal, only platinum people get comfy seats at the beach, get reservations for dinners, get wifi, and good brand alcohol. They charge $45-60 a day per person to upgrade at the resort, so if you can do it cheaper online, do it there if you are interested. We could hear the tv through the wall, which was annoying at 7:00 AM.

Some info:
A taxi ride is $35 from the airport to the resort.
Make sure you have 2 hours at the airport on the way home, because there can be long lines.
Have $10 per person ready when you get off the plane at customs to enter the country.

Overall; My husband and I went for our 10th wedding anniversary, we had a very nice time, and were both happy with our choice to stay at Bavaro Princess. It was worth the value, and was a nice getaway.

Room Tip: Request to be closer to the beach, so you don't have as far to walk, or ride. Honeymoon suites...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

So I came to this resort on my first ever trip out if the country. I am from the US. I met some friends here who have stayed here 6 or 7 times...I completely understand why they come back year after year. It's a great resort. Friendly staff...large variety of amazing food...Beautiful beach...very clean and well maintained. There is always something going on. The casino is great but the a/c wasn't working well. The rooms are amazing and you get such a wonderful room with great maid service and very clean...The a/c was not working well at all during my week long stay here but the hotel stated there was a system wide problem with it. It didn't make a difference tho. It was still an amazing trip. The people selling excursions could be annoying at times but they are trying to make a living.
Strongly advise to try out parasailing and the atv adventure. Well worth the money and a lot of fun...
The staff here is awesome and they work very hard to make sure you always have what you need.. The trolly could come around a bit more often but it wasn't too bad. Make sure to tip the waiters and staff here and maids... a few dollars here and there goes a very long way. They will make sure you are treated like gold and help you with all of your needs .
I will DEFINITELY be coming back here next year!
Most beautiful and clean resort around here with the best service you can get!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
New Albany, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Bavaro Princess was a fairly good resort with a (mostly) friendly staff. Our first impression wasn't good - the lobby on Sunday when we arrived was full of people lying around in the chairs, sofas, etc. on their phones and sleeping. We had requested a 2nd floor room when we booked the resort in March and were given a 1st floor room, which wasn't a big deal. After checking in around 12:00 Noon, we were told that our room wouldn't be available until after 3:00 which was expected. We then attempted to eat lunch in the buffet which was a disaster. After giving up on lunch, we changed into swimwear and went to the main pool, which was very crowded as well. We were not off to a good start and tried to contact Apple vacations to move us to a different hotel. We were directed to speak with the resort's concierge (Freddy) who agreed that the lobby and pools were crowded but assured us that the resort would be much better on Monday and asked us to give the resort a chance.

Freddy was correct, Monday was a new day and the resort felt more manageable. The beach was gorgeous and the restaurants were good during dinner. Most of the male employees were very friendly and we had great service from some of the servers in the restaurants. The rooms were great, but the mattress and the pillows were terrible.

I do have some recommendations that would improve the resort:
-The pool needs enlarged; it was too small for a resort this size.
-The train - Oh, the train. While it was helpful in getting around this large resort, there needs to be some sort of formal line formed to assure that people aren't crowding, etc to get on the train. We had many issues while attempting to board the train (my 3-year old was pushed out of the way by an adult). Of course I said something to this rude adult and was berated throughout the ride and was called an "American p.o.s." in front of my child repeatedly. Not cool and could be resolved by creating a first-come, first-serve line.
-The McPrincess lunch area did not have enough people working - the line to get food was very long and the wait for a simple grilled cheese was even longer.
-Please create smoking areas and non-smoking areas. I read this on Trip Advisor before we left and didn't think it would be a problem, but it was. Smokers on the train, smokers in the pool, smokers on the beach - it was a bit too much smoke for me and my toddler.

Overall, I think this was a good resort. We have stayed at the Iberostar resorts in the Riviera Maya and found them to be a little better. If this price was great, I would stay at this resort again. However, I would probably try a different resort if the prices were comparable.

Room Tip: Our room numbers were 041 and 042 - near the beach, pool and the restaurants. Great location. I'...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family