“Lovely beach, great staff, poor management, 5* - no - some annoying points” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

Expedia.com Booking.com
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #37 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
“Lovely beach, great staff, poor management, 5* - no - some annoying points”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

how does the star rating work? Well as I understand it, it is more based on facilities than service and quality. Is this hotel 5* - It's subjective I guess but here is my view on the pros and cons.

We booked this holiday as individual elements and therefore this review is purely for he hotel. We arrived and were we're pleasantly greeted. check-in went smoothly and the reception staff and porters were excellent.

The room was generally great for us as a family of two adults and children aged 4 & 8, we stayed in a deluxe suite numbered 447 which was centrally located to the hotel but was 2 minutes walk to the pool and beach, less than that to some restaurants, and a short trip on the bus to the main hotel area. I would firstly say that if you are offered a room near the hotel end the complex, don't accept this - you want to be as close to the beach and pool as you can get!

The rooms are well equipped but slightly poorly finished. We had a king sized bed, a double sofa bed and a single bed in the room with space to spare. As a couple the room would be enormous and would have a lounge area as well as a table and chairs. We had a large jacuzzi bath, his and hers wash basins, a large walk in shower, and a wc which you can't flush anything down. The room was generally clean but not spotless despite tipping the cleaner well early on, but generally tired with poorly cleaned grout in the tiles, a broken tv remote, and a ceiling fan above the bed which wobbled to the point that we feared for our lives sleeping under it if turned on.

Food wise you have the option of the main buffet restaurant and 6 a-la-carte eateries. All are included in the AI package once per week and do not require booking in advance which is good in one respect but led to long waits to eat at some of the more popular places. The food quality was ok but nothing to write home about. Equally there are far worse paces to eat and so I would generally rate the food as ok as far as AI eating goes. It's far from gourmet but it is fine.

The staff in the eateries and the bars are generally friendly with a few exceptions and a little tip goes a long way. I would recommend that you learn a little Spanish as this is a Spanish speaking country and the staff appreciate you making the effort. Don't expect to come here and bark English at them as it will be you who will suffer and rightly so. Certain sections of the restaurants are badly run and as such getting coffee in the morning with breakfast can sometimes be challenge but you just have to learn to sit in the right section and me friends with the staff.

The local drink is called mamajuana and should be tried as should the sweet rum. The gardeners pick coconuts each week and cut them so that you can drink the milk and you an also try the local sugar cane. In addition the hotel is stocked with local and not so so local wildlife and the photo people come around each day with tame monkeys, parrots etc which the kids love. Some of the photos were quite good however the gross overpricing meant that nobody we knew ever bought one.

So onto the problems. The sunbeds on the beach and by the pool re reserved almost permanently despite however early you get up in the morning. We also had towels stolen and the hotel was particularly awkward in resolving this issue. Guest relations as they call it are useless and it took some serious pressure to get them provide replacements. I also I asked to speak with the hotel manager regarding several issues but they could not be bothered to even make themselves available to talk - simply unacceptable behaviour. It is a shame that there are so many great staff here but the hotel management is so poor.

This hotel also seems to take the approach of hounding its guests with timeshare salespeople. They line the routes to the restaurants waiting to pounce each day under the guise of offering a welcome pack. Unless you know what is coming they seem genuine but then they take you to a special building where they want you to give credit card details etc. when we refused they suddenly turned nasty and said we were wasting their time - nice! My advice - tell these salespeople very clearly were to go in no uncertain terms and proceed with your holiday. Again I wanted to talk to the hotel manager about his but they were unavailable.

This hotel also operates a bizarre platinum all inclusive system where some people are actually stupid enough to pay $45 each per day to sit behind a rope in the same restaurant and get wi-fi access. Any 5* hotel that does not provide Internet access as a matter of course in 2013 is simply archaic. So until they change it, the wi-fi password for cafe del mar on the beach is princess - enjoy and save yourself $45 per day - take your own red rope if you're really bothered about that part.

Overall this place is acceptable and I would rate it somewhere between 3 & 4 stars for quality but there are undoubtably better places to stay and we will not be going back here due to the poor management and focus on fleecing the guests.

Will we return to Punta Cana, yes! The beaches here are spectacular in places and are some of the best we have been to (which is quite a few) although they can be a little too crowded for my liking. Will we go back to this hotel - no.

Room Tip: Wi-Fi password for cafe del mar- princess Ask or a room in the 200s, 300s or 400s Tell timeshare s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

4,311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I arrived home from the Bavaro Princess yesterday. I absolutely loved my stay there and would go back in a heart beat. I had the time of my life. The restaurants were delishous aside from Sakura which I did not like. My favorite would have to be the steak house. One thing I was not impresed with was the amount of time it took for us to actually recieve our food. Aside from that I have no complaints. Our room was 587 which was located close to the beach, a huge pool and all of the restaurants. Our last night there we had a beach party and it was amazing. I want to say a special thank you to some of the young men from the entertainment department, Robert, Carlito, Yan Carlos and Juan Carlos. They were the best, so friendly and I am happy they were a part of my vacation. I miss it already!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were a group of 16 that went the end of March for a week, kids ages 8-16. All of us had a wonderful time. The kids were never bored, from being on the beach to the pool the animation team tries to get everyone involved. There was soccer and volleyball on the beach everyday, in the lobby they had pool tables.
We tried most restaurants, and our least favorite was Bella Pasta, but the others we loved. The buffet at the lobby had different themes each night, and the buffet at the beach for breakfast and lunch was good. It was wonderful to eat breakfast or lunch right on the beach. Beach bbq for lunch everyday also...I loved the Paella!!
Rooms were amazing! We loved the bungalow style of this resort instead of the typical hotel looking resorts. The bungalows made you feel like you had your own private rooms. The landscape was wonderful, and the ocean was beautiful! We would definately go to this resort again, and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We were in Bungalow 3, which was close to the beach, and had a view of the beach!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We've been going to Bavaro Princess since Nov., 2001. We've been back many times since. We have tried several other places in the Dominican Republic, but always come back here. We have been using Apple Vacations lately. Everything you have read about the Apple Concierge (Carlos Felix) is true! He is absolutely wonderful. We've known him for several years now. Excellent service; meets you with at least once a day. Makes sure everything is just right. We went through check-in quickly. We know the resort so we did not need a detailed layout. Yes it is a big resort. The walk from the lobby to the beach is not too bad. I make it, and I'm 65 with bad knees. Great way to walk off breakfast. At least one walk back go through the gardens. Great photo opp with lots of birds and wildlife.
The pool area is quite large, with a walk-up pool bar that can get rather interesting by late afternoon. It's quite a melting pot, and we met people from Great Britain, Germany, France, Russia, and lots of Canadians - hence "Punta Canada" We also met a great group from Buffalo, NY. Don't worry about the language issues-a good party is the universal language! This vacation was a little different for us. We usually go with friends; this trip we took our kids (their second time) and one grandchild, so I spent a lot of time at the kiddie pool area off to the side a bit. The animation staff is just great with kids. My grandson got to meet some great people (Hi - Lee) from Liverpool, and some kids from France and another group from Britain. He now has some pen pals to share his experiences. The kids were kept busy all day, and I'm sure they all slept well at night. Definitely a great place for kids, with lots of activities for them. If they can hang, don't be afraid to take them up to the lobby at night. There is dancing and activities for them there also, before the band starts.
We went to most of the sit-down restaurants. Dinner at Bella Pasta is usually my favorite. I had the lasagna! El gaucho was my son-in-law's favorite - he had the fillet. I tried the sushi class in the morning, at Tanuki. Let's say I am not quitting my day job, but I did get to roll my own sushi. BTW, do not make sushi at home unless it is for a lot of people. It is a lot of work! Our gandson loved his dinner there that night-the chef puts on quite a show! I think our favorite dinner this week was at Sakura, which is Asian. The shrimp tempura was excellent. We did try the upscale restaurant Licey. It has a limited menu, and we felt it was not appreciably better than any of the others. I can tell you that the food at Bavaro Princess has improved a lot over the years. Presentation is excellent. Most of the items are very good. For breakfast, we used the beach area most of the week. Hispaniola buffet restaurant near the main lobby offers a wonderful breakfast alternative. What makes Bavaro Princess stand alone is its staff and entertainment options. From the minute we arrive we are treated like family. This past week, we spoke with three other groups who had been there before. Once you get the feel for the place, you just want to return. I cannot say enough for the guys at the pool bar (Juan, Melvin, Rafy, Angel Luis, Sanchez, Dieago) as well as the waitstaff (Ishidro, Ricardo, Francia, and all the others) Management staff in the restaurants all look out for their guests. (Miguel, Alberto, Cafe) and a Shout-Out to my favorite bartenders in the night lobby including Dulce and Richard! At night, Bavaro Princess is still the best show in town. The entertainment staff had several new shows this week- a Billboard 500 show with top songs from recent years, a 80's disco themed-show, which was a big hit, and also a Latin show for Dominican night (which is Thursday, with vendors in the courtyard). The Monday nite beach party got moved due to weather to the courtyard, but did not miss a beat. The 8 piece band, headed by Federico Ortiz, and complimented by three singers, is the best. LadyBelle, Almy, and Samuel put on a great show, and Almy is nothing short of fantastic. It's a mix of salsa, merengue, jazz and R&B. The DJ mix after the show is sure to keep you dancing, and the animation staff will make sure you have a dance partner, if you choose. Melvin and Michael, Happy Face, and the others will keep you moving. Some guests don't know that the lobby is a great party every night starting about 9:30pm. Special hello to our friend, and one of the male dancers, Ahmie (not sure if this is the correct spelling.) If you still aren't done, there is a shuttle to the Casino, which is just a couple of blocks from the Lobby - go cups included! All in all, if you want a second home, and an extended family, visit Bavaro Princess. Get to know the staff. Don't be shy. You will eat, drink, dance and be merry. When you get home, you'll want to go back. We do.

Room Tip: Avoid building 86 near Chopin and other restaurants. way too noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Visited the Bavaro Princess the last week of March and simply loved it. The grounds were incredible and the beach was magnificent. One of the best beaches we have ever had the pleasure of visiting. Our first night was spent in bungalow 86 and we did not like where the room was situated as it was right beside the kitchen of 3 of the a la cart restaurants, so requested a change on our second day. We were granted our request without any problems and were moved to the top floor of bungalow 84. Although it was only two bungalows away, it made a big difference to us. Zack at the front desk was just great and always greeted us with a smile. We enjoyed the swim up bar quite a bit and met a really great couple from Michigan that we hung out with for the last 4 days of our trip. The weather was fantastic except for our last full day where it rained for most of the day. Not a big deal as it was very humid and this seemed to help with the humidity.

We enjoyed the food, particularly the Bella Pasta restaurant. We liked it so much we went there three times. We also enjoyed the Steakhouse. We ate at the main buffet 3 times and always found something we liked to eat.

We went on one tour, the Xtreme Buggy ride and just loved it. What a blast it was. I would definitely do it again if we go back.

We also had no complaints about Sunwing. I was very worried as we had heard horror stories about them and we had absolutely no problem at all. We did book the Elite Plus package and found it was well worth the $40.00 we paid.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Bavaro Princess to anyone and would go back should the opportunity arise.

Room Tip: I would pick a bungalow in the middle of the resort and you can walk most of the time.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Quispamsis, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Pros - beautiful beach, big pool, food adequate and nice place for children. If travelling as couples, I personally would like an Adults only resort. Some of the staff were very nice, but some were very grumpy.

Cons - The resort is very big! I have been to many resorts and this one is the biggest. They have trollies that will pick you up throughout the resort.
Vendors on the beach are very annoying, as well as, Royal Holidays are trying to sell you time shares. They will try to tell you it isnt a time share, but it really it is. You purchase point packages and use your points for so many vacations a year. I understand everyone is trying to survive to make a buck, but vacationers should not be harrassed for their entire stay.

Traveller beware - One thing they do not advertise, if anything gets broken or missing in your room you must cover the cost. I had used my iron in my suite on the first day I arrived, which worked fine, only to find it split in half the following day. Not sure what happened there, I just know we did not break it. Keep in mind there are employees in your room on a daily basis. I was charged $21.00 US. I couldnt prove I had not broke it, also nother traveller was charged $10.00 for a broken glass, that she did break, but accidents happen. Travellers should be aware they are responsible for everything in the room. Overall my experience at Bavaro was average- good, however, I have been to better resorts for the price. I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Stay away from sewer treatment area. Our rooms was near by and the smell was offensive. A few nigh...
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Barrie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Start off by saying I travel 3-4 times a year to the Caribbean with a group, my husband and I or only with a girlfriend. This trip was me & a female friend February 2012. As always there were Pro’s and Con’s to this resort which I will outline but I need to point out one important thing. The male employees of this resort are severely INAPPROPRIATE to woman, the cat calls (literally meowing), whistling, harassing, inappropriate comments not taking no for an answer, trying to get your room number from you and seeing if you are travelling alone. I was wondering if it was because we were on our own but other women with their husbands were getting the same thing, very uncomfortable. It was very inappropriate and it actually frightened me and for this reason I would never return to this resort or recommend it to women as the resort management should put an end to this!!!!!
Area in Punta Cana- Bavaro Beach is one of the top ten in the world although this resort is just outside the real area of Bavaro.
PRO Sand amazing, very little seawweed
CON their palapas were too low to the ground and hard to find shade on beach

Rooms –Some are redone others are not be careful not to get one close to lobby they are bad must get a larger suite.
PRO: Nice size, lots of storage, great jacuzzi
CON Mold in bathroom, Curtains are absolutely gross and if you don’t get a brand new bed the older ones are just down right brutal. I did not sleep all week from this problem and had to use the loveseat cushions on the bed. Resort agreed to change our bed 4 times but no one ever did. Are room was close to the restaurant area and we had the biggest cockroach I have ever seen in my life, we made the mistake of leaving a champagne glass out that I did not wash and it loved the sweetness. Just keep your bags zipped tight and don‘t leave out food

Restaurants: Food was amazing- some of the best I have ever had in Punta Cana. Great Beach BBQ’s
Main Buffet for dinner- I never eat at dinner buffets but this one was the exception I loved the food and service, best at any resort I have tried in this price range
Steak House- Great Food we ate their twice it was so awesome -Italian- Good Food Chinese- Good Food
CON: The only thing I would change would be the outdoor eating area by the beach buffet needs new tables and chairs, all broken, mis-matched and in need of repair. The food was so good you almost didn’t mind though
Entertainment- PROs only-Animation Team – kept the party going and the crowd was always going- I couldn’t believe how many people were dancing all ages from young to the very old everyone was always having a good time. The House Band – once again best band I have ever seen at a resort both women were amazing singers and they did tons of different types of music.
Resort Eco Area a must Do, but during day of course a little scary at night! Animals Reptiles and Birds were the most beautiful
Resort is not the fanciest I have seen and they are probably only a 3 star in that department but the food and entertainment were top quality and we had a fun time when we weren't trying to sleep and we were being stalked by creepy men

Room Tip: Close to the Beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends