“Excellent rooms, beautiful beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Excellent rooms, beautiful beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Third trip to the DR, second to Punta Cana (and many more to Mexico, Jamaica and the Caribbean). My wife and booked a last minute trip to the Bavaro Princess through Funjet just one week before departure.

I do intensive research/ read reviews on multiple sites (although Trip Advisor has always proven the most useful) and couldn't really believe that this resort was available and at a very reasonable price. We have stayed at several RIU and Barcelo resorts and consider them more or less the level we like. So, due to the longer and colder winter than normal we decided to book it and escape for 7 days. Needless to say we were very happy with the decision.

We'll start with the positives:

Beach: better than any in Mexico, Jamaica, or any other "value" locations. Soft, clean sand and water, no rocks, and looong (great for walks!). The only negative was strong winds most of the week, so swimming over head deep water was not safe. (If you want to snorkel from shore, this resort and entire beach is not for you.) Always lots of lounge chairs and even palm umbrellas all day on the beach.

Room: we were upgraded to a regular suite (from a Jr suite) when we arrived (again, the resort was not nearly full) and it was the nicest room we have ever been at (besides a Sandals, at twice the price). Huge space, raised platform for bed, nice hot tub in room, modern shower/bathroom . . . Even extra pillows already on the bed (we had brought our own just in case due to past experience). Hot water whenever we needed it with reasonable pressure.

Grounds: always impressed with how well most resorts maintain their grounds and the Bavaro Princess was no exception.

Pool Bar and bar staff in general: Yes I know a few tips go a long way, but every bartender an nearly all restaurant staff were great. More Mamajuana!?!?! Please!

Restaurants: started out great; buffet had enough variety, although less than others we have visited. But, there were 5-6 a la carte restaurants, so you could practically skip the buffet for dinners. The best were the fish/seafood and steakhouse. The Italian was decent. Chinese was the only bad experience - didn't like anything and the staff was also the coldest. Missed the Asian/Japanese which we heard was excellent from others.

As for Negatives:

Lack of information: we "skipped" the morning orientation because we heard it was a time-share sales pitch. So, a part of the issue may have been our fault. But, simple things like a clear explanation of what types of food each a la carte restaurant served, accurate restaurant hours (some closed early, like 90 minutes early), etc. We knew we were on "island time", so it didn't bother us much. But, getting answers to simple questions was difficult at times, which leads to:

Language: I speak "rusty" Spanish, so we got along pretty good. But, as some others have said the level of English most of the staff spoke, with the exception of bartenders, was little to non-existent. Even ordering dinner at the a la carte restaurants was a bit challenging. Again, overall a minor quibble. But, I could imagine this bothering some people.

Entertainment (evening): We only stayed up to start watching the "shows" two evenings, and we left both pretty quickly. Part of it is we have seen so many of these shows, and they are all the same at all resorts, that we have just lost interest in seeing them . . .

Marinarium Excursion: I'd read some good reviews on this excursion, and my wife is a beginner snorkeler at best, so we decided to try it out. Very disappointing to me. For beginning snorkelers there was no instruction; they dump you in the water and have you paddle into a penned-off area where you can snorkel among a few nurse sharks and sting rays For newbees it was a thrill I'm told, but I just felt badly for them, caged-up for people to stir-up and "appreciate nature". Yah, no! Then the staff held up one sting ray for everyone (40+ in our group) to "pet and take a photo. It all just turned me off. Then, after a 40 minute slow cruise along the shoreline we stopped for a 30 minute "swim" in waste deep water...more like a "pee" break. The, back on the boat for a 40 minute "cruise" along the beach back to the dock. I wouldn't waste my money on something like this ever again.

Just to clarify, although I have mentioned some negative items, we would definitely place this resort among the top ones we have visited in the Caribbean and Mexico. You just have to come knowing what to expect. Those who have strong negative reviews here need to stay in their 5+ star luxury hotels and pay the price to be "pampered" as they want.

So, you can book this place at a good price, by all means jump! You'll have a great time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (864)
  • Polish first
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and our two boys , 8 and 13, stayed here from March 9 - 16. Check in excellent. Room was large. My oldest slept on the pull out couch and they brought a cot for my youngest. Even with that the room was very spacious. The jacuzzi tub was great. Rooms are cold. We would turn off the fan at times. The king sized bed is very hard. Too bad. We stayed in bungalow 32. Very close to the beach. We really enjoyed sitting on the deck every morning and late afternoon. The beach is spectacular!!!!! We bought a boogie board and had a blast in the waves all week. Drinks were good, food was good. I was the only one in my family that did not enjoy McPrincess. The kids loved it. The steakhouse meal was really really good. We had the T Bone. Delish. Japanese was fun.and food was good. Didnt eat at any of the others. We stuck with the buffet. Def make sure yku hit up the buffet on Sat night for mexican night and Thurs night for Dominican night. There is a guy that does up personalized cakes. The kids thought that was pretty cool. All in all I would def return to this resort if the price was right!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Port Stanley, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I were at the Bavaro Princess, Punta Cana for the week of February 25, 2013. We upgraded to the Platinum rooms before we went because we wanted to be sure to be close to the beach. We were in the 700's (room #) which was so close to the beach and pool. We thoroughly enjoyed our vacation and our room was wonderful, bed was comfortable and it was so clean. Upgrading meant that as soon as we arrived, we were escorted to the Platinum Lounge, received a welcome drink and an outline of the resort. The Lounge has premium drinks, two computers with free internet and two nights throughout our stay they had a sushi bar and another was a wine and cheese 'events' before we went to dinner.

For the size of this resort (100 acres) they move people quickly on three trolleys; the food was fabulous and we enjoyed the buffets far more than the A La Cartes and each of them were good in their own way. There are bungalows throughout and no more than two stories high - very nice. The nightly shows left something to be desired because the entertainers at the pool were often the entertainers at night. They did a great job but not high calibre if you want that. We went to the casino three times and once again they have a trolley just for this purpose and they take you there (just outside the Bavaro Princess gates) and bring you back.

The drinks on the beach/pool are watered down and sometimes you need to ask for 'booze' to be added. That has been our experience whenever you stay at a resort. My husband only drinks beer so he was happy. After my 'sun' day, I would go to the Platinum Lodge and get my Canadian Club with water and it was nice that they knew me and were welcoming.

Beach was fabulous and the water was quite rough so we parked ourselves mainly at the pool which was big and easy to get into for older folks and children.

You need to get up at the crack of dawn to get chairs at the pool and in the Platinum roped off beach area that we had access to. Many people placed their towels on chairs but weren't there all day which I found very inconsiderate. Someone there had a good tip - take a couple of old beach towels and put them on your chairs so that it is easy to identify in the sea of blue towels.

I would highly recommend this resort, you will not be disappointed. Thank you for reading my review.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor room, close to beach or 'main' pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wonderful experience at this resort. We found it perfect for us as we were seeking sun, beach time and rest. We thought it was a good choice for all age groups, service was excellent, beach outstanding, our suite was lovely, grounds are meticulous, food was very good. We also enjoyed the entertainment. They all work so hard during the day and then perform at night, none are professionals! This group gave the best of any resort we have been to so far! Would definately recommend this resort to our friends and hope to go back again!

Room Tip: We were located midway between the beach and the lobby which we liked very much. We asked for a seco...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mukwonago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I went to this resort for my brother-in-laws wedding. The resort is beautiful! Lush gardens and great scenery along with a great room made the stay worth while, except for the hard beds. Drawbacks included the food, drinks and lack of English speaking waitstaff. About 80% off the food is seafood and the rest you literally have to choke down. The hot dogs are okay, but the hamburgers were raw in the middle. The drinks tasted very watered down, and it was hard to communicate with the waitstaff as most of them spoke Spanish only. The salon is very slow, as they kept the bride and her mother longer than they should have, and the travel arrangements to the wedding were on "island time". Then the sprinklers went on during pictures. What a mess. Carlos really made our stay! That resort needs more of him! He was a HUGE help! Will I stay here again-----NO!!! I'll stick with my cruises!

Room Tip: We stayed in the bungalow suite---Very nice, big room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friend and I went to Bavaro Princess for a week in February. I’ve been to Punta Cana before and other places in the Caribbean and this was by far the best resort I’ve been to. We had such a great time and it went by way too fast! The beach was so beautiful and the weather was perfect everyday. The food and drinks were good except the Italian restaurant, don’t go there haha. If you like to party, get a room close to the reception and not on the other side of the little eco reserve because if you go to the disco and you have to walk back to your room really late at night it’s kind of scary walking through the little mini forest! There’s free transportation to a club near the resort and it’s better than the one in the casino. Afternoons in the pool were the best - really fun activities and the animation staff are amazing especially Juan Carolsss mi amorrrrr!!!!!!!!! They made our trip soooo fun! The shows at night are really fun too, they’re all so talented. So overall, this place is awesome and we’re going back asap :) The only thing is that it’s really cold in the rooms and they told us not to turn off the a/c and I only brought one sweater with me. Next time I’ll bring like five haha.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This resort was gorgeous. The pool was excellent as were the room accomodations. The only draw back was the food. If you like salads, vegetables and fruits, you will like the food. The meat left something to be desired. Also, when at this resort, look up Carlos. He is the very best in getting settled in and anything else you might need. He has a brilliant smile and personality and made us feel like family, not just guests. All in all, I would go back again anytime.

Room Tip: Our rooms were in the 300's and it was a 2 minute walk to the pool, beach and most restaurants...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends