Went Nov 24 - Dec 1/12 for one week. Once we landed in Punta Cana, I found the airport crowded and somewhat disorganized. Since travellers were from all over the world, some airlines did not give the passengers the Customs slips to fill out before hand. There were people everywhere and it was hard to know if you were in the right line to go through to pay your landing tax.
Once at the resort, first room (was in the hotel part, not bungalows. They wanted $15/pp per day to upgrade or if you wanted platinum, it was even more) had a strong odor of mildew. The room was nicely laid out, but the odour was quite a turn off. We decided to stick it out for the night to see if I could adjust to it. That night it rained and water began leaking from the ceiling. Went to the front desk and had the room changed. The second room smelled much better and it was close to the stairwell as well. The bed was extremely hard - a bit too much for my liking.
The beach is fantastic - soft white sand. There were plenty of chairs and a couple of cabanas on the beach. You could parasail for an additional price. Only complaint was the showers didn't have enough water pressure to wash your feet.
To get your beach towel you went to spot near the bar pool by the ocean. There's no sign to direct you to the spot, you had to ask someone.
The food was good overall. Never went to the ala cartes. The buffet had a different theme each night and it kept it interesting. I found the buger shack by the platinum club made great burgers.
I found if you weren't a platinum customer, you felt like second class. However, the 'upper' customers were to get better liquor, accommodations, own beach section, etc. but in reality, they scammed these people. The liquor these people got were not of premium quality. Actually, I found they used cheap booze for a 5 star resort and was sick on our 5th day. Not sure what happened but we were drinking the same thing and we were both ill for 24hrs. That put a damper on our last 2 days.
Went shopping at some mall (which was lame) and was overpriced. The best deal was at the grocery store to buy liquor & coffee.
I didn't feel as safe in the D.R. as I do in Cuba. I'm not sure what it is, but I found the people not quite as friendly as the Cubans. Some of the service staff don't even try to speak English. They have vendors there and a travel club that constantly pestered you to join the club.
Was not happy with our Sunwing rep who promised to show us a 5 Diamond resort. That was a waste of 2 hours. They wisked us to this 4 star resort for breakfast (it was not the greatest) to try and sell us their travel club.
BEWARE of these people both at the resort and your travel rep.
Will admit, the grounds were taken care of and there was a train/tram that went around the resort to shuttle people around. The pool by the hotel was relaxing and not very noisey so it was perfect for reading or snoozing.
Overall, it was an okay resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Bavaro Princess, situated in the Dominican Republic in an area renowned for its incomparable beauty, the quality of the sand and the clarity of the water on the famous Bavaro Beach. Accommodation at this prestigious resort more than meets the expectations of the most demanding of customers.136 splendid Platinum Suites, 16 Honeymoon Spa Suites, 82 functional Junior Suites, or the 572 spacious and fully equipped Bungalow Suites, provide the ideal added value to enjoy an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bavaro Princess Punta Cana
- Bavaro Princess Resort Punta Cana
- Bavaro Princess Hotel Punta Cana
- Hotel Bavaro Princess
- Punta Cana Bavaro Princess Hotel Resort
- Princess Bavaro
- Bavaro Princess Dominican Republic
- Bavaro Princess Hotel Dominican Republic
- Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort Spa & Casino
- Princess Hotel Punta Cana