“A great family vacation, recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

Save Saved
You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #37 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
“A great family vacation, recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We (my wife and daughter [age 12] and my sister and her two sons [ages 8 and 10] went to this resort in January 2013. It was my first time in DR and my wife and sister had been to the north side of the island only.

The week that we were at the resort seemed to be only moderately busy (last week of January) so I would say this is a great week to go because you won't need to worry about lots of lines.

The only thing that bothered us at all was our check-in. We had read reviews on Trip Advisor about the Platinum upgrades costing around $300 for each of our two families. When we asked about it we were told that it would cost $800 for the week and there was no haggling to bring that down. So, we were a little disappointed. Because of that the check-in person agreed to upgrade us to the bungalow suites (our travel agent had book a Junior Suite in the main 'hotel' building). He said we would be very happy. He said it was normally $12/day/person but gave it to us for free. I suspect the place was not packed so they gave us a free upgrade simply because they had the space. I won't complain because it was a great room.

The room was a nice size. There were two options - King bed + pull-out sofa or two twin beds plus another single bed in the room. Either way, 3 people can stay comfortably in the room. The beds were very firm and 5 of the 6 of us said the beds were not that comfortable but none of us suffered from sleep deprivation so they were just not like at home. We did need to request blankets since the room was somewhat cool at night from the A/C during the day.

There is a fridge in the room with water, soda pop and some beer. They stock it daily. What they don't tell you is that, if you request additional supplies they can charge you. Your best bet is to talk to the staff servicing the rooms and tip them as you won't likely incur any charges then. If you want any sode like "Diet Coke" (Coke Light) they you have to ask each day or you will just receive regular Coke and Sprite or 7up.

I've seen people complaining about the transportation through the resort. We only ran into issues once but the place was obviously not full so not sure if that would have made a difference. It would be great to have a room near the beach but I think we only went back to the room once during the entire stay so not a huge problem anyway. We usually went to lunch back at the main building so we had to take transport back. We could have had lunch at the beach but, at first, we were confused about where we could eat and where we could not - it did not seem clear and some space was reserved for Platinum people. Others were similarly confused when we tried to find out what they thought.

The food at the buffet really was pretty good. I was surprised as I had read a lot of reviews from people who said it was not good. I guess it really depends on your tastes. If you are pretty open with food and tend to like a lot more than you dislike you will likely be fine. In the worst case, there is always bread, pasta, rice, ice cream, soups, fruit, etc. We ate every night at the buffet because we were not sure how the younger boys would do at the a la carte. No one starved. The staff were very attentive most of the time.

The "theme" nights were certainly interesting and, quite often, provided a nice change. If you are not at all adventurous, some of the theme nights may limit your choices. They are posted though so you can plan to have an a la carte night if needed.

Water - we ate salad, drank coffee, water in the restaurants, etc. Never had any issues with the water. We did not drink the tap water.

The pools and the beach are a nice size and we did not have any major issues with finding space - not always able to find the perfect spot, but we found spots. Most people seemed to drop their towels off early (before 9am) to get the prime spots. There is a rule that if you leave your stuff for 30 minutes it is considered abandoned but everyone was doing it. We often left our towels for an hour, with a book on at least one chair, and had no issues, generally. One day we had a prime spot by luck and someone stole some of our chairs saying we were gone for a long time when we had been gone barely 30 minutes. Not a huge deal.

Claudio, at the swim-up bar, was great. Although he could not always bring drinks to us, he was always friendly and great to talk to.

Francine (sp?) was our most common server in the buffet restaurant. She was great and quickly figured out what we like to drink and would get us what we wanted. She even went to the bar to get drinks for us. She seemed to have a great rapport with many people in the restaurant.

There are lots of photo opportunities with birds, reptiles and monkeys. If you buy them individually they are $15 per picture. If you wait 4 days and then collect them all up you can get them for $9 each and get a CD with the pictures on it. They won't go any lower than that.

One night there was a "market" on the terrace and there were lots of local jewellery, art, clothes etc. The vendors were very pushy and quick to grab you. I would suggest being careful. One vendor swore that the jewellery sold on the beach was mafia controlled and his stuff was real. There's no way to validate this though.

The ocean water was very warm at this time of year but it was very windy most of the week so the sand was flying quite a bit. The waves were nice for having fun and a great change from the pool.

Wifi - there is Wifi for Platinum members. If you want it otherwise you need to pay $15 per day and use it in the main lobby. My sister tried and had a very poor experience - could receive email but never was able to send. She opted to use the business center which is $5 for 15 minutes. The computer is not great and she had to rewrite emails a few times which really limited how much she could do. If you are expecting to 'work' while you are on vacation you might have issues.

Safety / security - there was never a time that we did not feel safe. As a family, we were never up after 11am and walking around though. The safe is the room worked out well, no issues with anything being taken.

Kids activities - our kids were more concerned about the pool and did not want to do any of the activities. They were approached once. If you want to join in, you need to make the effort to join in.

Overall, I would go back here any time. I was very pleased with the resort overall and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: The bungalow suites are great. Probably better to choose ones closer to the main building so you ar...

4,711 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've visited more than a dozen ''AI'' hotels in the caribbean in the last 6 years and this was my 3rd trip to the Bavaro Princess. It was again, a great experience. However, I do not feel this was a 5 star resort. I would give it a 4-4.5.

The resort is spread over a large area, which means the pace of it is slow, in terms of getting around, but it forces you to slow down and remember to relax. You also have a trolley everyday to get to the beach and pool if you don't feel like walking. The hotel and the grounds were immaculate and the staff were very nice and went out of their way to assist in any way. There are shopping outside the resort. As soon as they see you coming they start coming after you, they are harmless, they just want you to visit their store. We used the internet everyday you can buy an hour and use it over the course of 5 days, so you don't have to use it all at once.

Beach : Amazing! Bavaro beach is the best i've seen if you like walking and i've traveled alot, seen lots of beaches. This resort has a lot of chairs and great service at the bar and you can easily find some shade if you're looking for it.

Food : Again the food was GREAT, the best I've had in the Caribbean. I would rate the buffet a 5 star! Everything I ate there was delicious! Lots of variety. I again tried all the restaurants à la carte. The steak house is great (I recommend the T-bone!), the Japanese Excellent. The Chinese one was good, but I would still recommend it. I still can't remember the name of the French one (and I'm french canadian) but I would maybe skip that one over the buffet. Overall very very good!!

Drinks: I'm a drinker and know what I want so I was not too impressed with the selection of brand they had to offer in the beginning...but after flashing a couple dollars they go under the counter and give you the Good Stuff. Bombay, Canadian Club, Jose Cuervo name it they suddenly had it! And beer...well it's beer! They had every Mexican beer I know and for a couple dollars more you had again lots of international beer to chose from, but mostly Canadian and American. House Wine was OK ( the white one was actually good) but again, you need to pay 20-30$ a bottle to get the good stuff which we did on a couple occasion.

Rooms : The rooms are nice, they have separate living room from your bed area. Lots of room and the terrace to relax with your coffee in the morning or drink in the afternoon. I RECOMMEND Blocks 30-35 2nd level, close to the beach! Or block 10 if you want to be halfway.

All of the rooms have been renovated in the last years.. that's the only reason I don't recommend Platinum if you want free WiFi.

Overall it is a gorgeous resort and worth every penny! I would definitely go back for a 4th time...but then again, there's so much of them to try!! Majestic Colonial in April is my next destination. I'll be back at BAVARO PRINCESS tho!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is my second time (and hope not the last one) in Dominican Rep, so I can compare to the previous hotel - Melia Caribe Tropical.

1. Territory and rooms
The territory is big, but not huge as in Melia. So it is not necessary to wait for the trolley, good walk along is quite possible.
The grounds are beautiful and well-kept, there are peacocks and flamingos, and even a mini zoo for kids. It was an extra activity for kids - to feed the animals.
Rooms are excellent! Perfectly planned, lots of space.

2. Main building
This point goes to Melia. There were absolutely stunning lounge areas, various evening bars with live music, lots of space to relax.

3. Beach
The beach is really excellent!!! The water is very clean, almost no see weeds, very nice waves to jump in. I enjoyed the beach here more than at Melia

4. Food
Food is good. Compared to Melia it seems to me the food here is more various. There are thematic evenings and the food differs from evening to evening (i am speaking of the main restaurant). Good thing also that you dont need to reserve a la carte restaurants in advance.

5. Entertainment
At Melia I enjoyed live caribbean music and latin dancing every night. Here the emphasis is put more on pop music, and I would say a variety of tracks is needed.
I enjoyed night shows more at Melia.
Nevertheless I want to notice the work of the entertainment team - they were everywhere and really did their best to entertain the guests - involving in games, contests, dancing, just chilling around. Best regards to Robert, Happy Face, Alex, Melvin, Michael and my lovely dance partner Pedro.

6. Kids activities
I cant say we attended all the activities offered, but we really enjoyed pool bday party and everyday mini disco. Alexandra was really good, heading the disco and holding various contests for children

And a few words about the weather. We've been from Jan,14 to Jan,26. Unfortunately the rain showered for the first 4 days of our trip. But afterwards the weather was perfect - not so hot and humid as in June.

Room Tip: We stayed at the block 23 just in the middle of the resort close to the mangrove forest, I enjoyed t...
Regina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This resort is huge, but trolly will get you around once you learn it.
The food was average nothing great nothing horrible.

To start with the good maybe even great. Our room was a bungalow and everything in the room was top notch. The bed was very comfortable, shower and bathroom were very nice.

Staff were horrible no one wanted to help. Not one employee was looking to go above and beyond. The night entertainment crew worked hard. The shows seemed the same every night.

Get ready they charge for everything. Room service is very expensive. I took a picture of the menu, but I think a grilled cheese was $15. If you wanted a drink that wasn't local alcohol it was $6 a drink. Want to weight you bags at the end of the trip before you go home another $2. It just got annoying by the end of the trip. These are not things you will find at any other 5 star.

The resort is getting old so it just doesn't compare to other 5 star resorts but the price comes in lower so it balances out.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow suite you will be very happy you did.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

the hotel was clean and friendly. food was good. we were left 2 beer in our room. when i called to get more than two we were told we were limited to two per day per room. this was our tenth time to punta cana and our second time to this hotel. we have never had this situation anywhere else. last year we had a platinum room and all it seemed to give us was private check-in,out and any EXTRA drinks we asked for. when asked to upgrade to platinum was told it would be 45.00/person/per night totalling 630.00. hardly worth it. we will look at other resorts next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let me first start by saying that I had to transfer from the Riu Bambu to the Bavaro Princess after a mold issue at the Riu. We took the recommendation of the Princess from some other travelers in the lobby (Thank you, Mary and Jeremy!)

After a very rough start to our vacation, we were blessed to have ended up at the Princess. The location, rooms, staff, and food were amazing. Definately a 5 star, which the Riu is also rated. However, there is no way that the Riu would be considered a 5 star in the United States. I don't even know if it would be a 3 star.

The beach at the Princess is awesome. Huts to hide out from the sun, a bar on the beach, staff taking drink orders, places for kids to play, and food that is easily accessible.

The food and drinks at the resort were also amazing. I loved not having to have reservations to eat at the specialty restaurants. Even better, we never had to wait once. The service was good, not great. They lacked at filing drinks, but I can over look that. Even the buffet was great. They had a salad bar, Italian bar, American (hotdogs and burgers), and a different ethnic cousine nightly. Plus, they had a crepe bar at every meal! The staff was friendly and remembered you when you walked in. My only complaint about the breakfast, the pancakes were never really hot. However, the omlets were fantastic! As were the crepes.

The rooms were also very nice. The smell was a little off, but what can you expect in a tropical location? They were clean and the maids left flowers and little animals made of the bedding daily. Each room is a suit that has its own hot tub, a nice walk in shower, and double sinks. Having a patio and own little sitting area is also a bonus.

We spent most of our time on the beach but the pools were also very nice. They had a pool up by the lobby that had its own bar and was never really populated. It was a nice place to go if you just wanted to relax and catch some sun. The main pool is large with lots of seating. We never had a problem finding a place to sit. The beach was very clean with plenty of chairs. You could sit in the sun or under your own little hut with a table. Very relaxing.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. We had an amazing time and were extremely happy with the change from the Riu Bambu.

Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went down with my wife for a belated honeymoon (7 months in) and had a wonderful time here. The resort is excellent, the food at the a-la-carte restaurants is fantastic as well.

Buffets were found to be a bit lacking in taste and choices in the food, but for breakfast they worked.

The resort is about 20 years old, and you can tell that they haven't done too much updated/modernizing of the resort since then, but it is still is in really good, clean, condition, just not state-of-the-art modern. The Honeymoon suite was great, newly renovated bathroom, although the "hot" water was barely warm enough to shower in.

Staff were friendly, although I found they didn't seem to appreciate tips, and regardless of if you tipped or not, you got the same service. Leaving $$$ in the mini-fridge never resulted in more beverages, which was 2 cokes, 2 sprites, and 2 beers, plus 2 bottles of water per day.

Won't likely go back, since there are just numerous options for other resorts down the road. A nice stay, enjoyed myself, and would recommend it to friends - just don't expect a 5-star resort, 4-star is appropriate in this case.

Room Tip: Had a ground floor, would recommend 2nd story floor for additional patio privacy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple