“Great overall resort, good location and excellent food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #36 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa
“Great overall resort, good location and excellent food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've visited more than a dozen ''AI'' hotels in the caribbean in the last 6 years and this was my 3rd trip to the Bavaro Princess. It was again, a great experience. However, I do not feel this was a 5 star resort. I would give it a 4-4.5.

The resort is spread over a large area, which means the pace of it is slow, in terms of getting around, but it forces you to slow down and remember to relax. You also have a trolley everyday to get to the beach and pool if you don't feel like walking. The hotel and the grounds were immaculate and the staff were very nice and went out of their way to assist in any way. There are shopping outside the resort. As soon as they see you coming they start coming after you, they are harmless, they just want you to visit their store. We used the internet everyday you can buy an hour and use it over the course of 5 days, so you don't have to use it all at once.

Beach : Amazing! Bavaro beach is the best i've seen if you like walking and i've traveled alot, seen lots of beaches. This resort has a lot of chairs and great service at the bar and you can easily find some shade if you're looking for it.

Food : Again the food was GREAT, the best I've had in the Caribbean. I would rate the buffet a 5 star! Everything I ate there was delicious! Lots of variety. I again tried all the restaurants à la carte. The steak house is great (I recommend the T-bone!), the Japanese Excellent. The Chinese one was good, but I would still recommend it. I still can't remember the name of the French one (and I'm french canadian) but I would maybe skip that one over the buffet. Overall very very good!!

Drinks: I'm a drinker and know what I want so I was not too impressed with the selection of brand they had to offer in the beginning...but after flashing a couple dollars they go under the counter and give you the Good Stuff. Bombay, Canadian Club, Jose Cuervo name it they suddenly had it! And beer...well it's beer! They had every Mexican beer I know and for a couple dollars more you had again lots of international beer to chose from, but mostly Canadian and American. House Wine was OK ( the white one was actually good) but again, you need to pay 20-30$ a bottle to get the good stuff which we did on a couple occasion.

Rooms : The rooms are nice, they have separate living room from your bed area. Lots of room and the terrace to relax with your coffee in the morning or drink in the afternoon. I RECOMMEND Blocks 30-35 2nd level, close to the beach! Or block 10 if you want to be halfway.

All of the rooms have been renovated in the last years.. that's the only reason I don't recommend Platinum if you want free WiFi.

Overall it is a gorgeous resort and worth every penny! I would definitely go back for a 4th time...but then again, there's so much of them to try!! Majestic Colonial in April is my next destination. I'll be back at BAVARO PRINCESS tho!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,110)
  • Polish first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is my second time (and hope not the last one) in Dominican Rep, so I can compare to the previous hotel - Melia Caribe Tropical.

1. Territory and rooms
The territory is big, but not huge as in Melia. So it is not necessary to wait for the trolley, good walk along is quite possible.
The grounds are beautiful and well-kept, there are peacocks and flamingos, and even a mini zoo for kids. It was an extra activity for kids - to feed the animals.
Rooms are excellent! Perfectly planned, lots of space.

2. Main building
This point goes to Melia. There were absolutely stunning lounge areas, various evening bars with live music, lots of space to relax.

3. Beach
The beach is really excellent!!! The water is very clean, almost no see weeds, very nice waves to jump in. I enjoyed the beach here more than at Melia

4. Food
Food is good. Compared to Melia it seems to me the food here is more various. There are thematic evenings and the food differs from evening to evening (i am speaking of the main restaurant). Good thing also that you dont need to reserve a la carte restaurants in advance.

5. Entertainment
At Melia I enjoyed live caribbean music and latin dancing every night. Here the emphasis is put more on pop music, and I would say a variety of tracks is needed.
I enjoyed night shows more at Melia.
Nevertheless I want to notice the work of the entertainment team - they were everywhere and really did their best to entertain the guests - involving in games, contests, dancing, just chilling around. Best regards to Robert, Happy Face, Alex, Melvin, Michael and my lovely dance partner Pedro.

6. Kids activities
I cant say we attended all the activities offered, but we really enjoyed pool bday party and everyday mini disco. Alexandra was really good, heading the disco and holding various contests for children

And a few words about the weather. We've been from Jan,14 to Jan,26. Unfortunately the rain showered for the first 4 days of our trip. But afterwards the weather was perfect - not so hot and humid as in June.

Room Tip: We stayed at the block 23 just in the middle of the resort close to the mangrove forest, I enjoyed t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Regina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This resort is huge, but trolly will get you around once you learn it.
The food was average nothing great nothing horrible.

To start with the good maybe even great. Our room was a bungalow and everything in the room was top notch. The bed was very comfortable, shower and bathroom were very nice.

Staff were horrible no one wanted to help. Not one employee was looking to go above and beyond. The night entertainment crew worked hard. The shows seemed the same every night.

Get ready they charge for everything. Room service is very expensive. I took a picture of the menu, but I think a grilled cheese was $15. If you wanted a drink that wasn't local alcohol it was $6 a drink. Want to weight you bags at the end of the trip before you go home another $2. It just got annoying by the end of the trip. These are not things you will find at any other 5 star.

The resort is getting old so it just doesn't compare to other 5 star resorts but the price comes in lower so it balances out.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow suite you will be very happy you did.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pembroke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

the hotel was clean and friendly. food was good. we were left 2 beer in our room. when i called to get more than two we were told we were limited to two per day per room. this was our tenth time to punta cana and our second time to this hotel. we have never had this situation anywhere else. last year we had a platinum room and all it seemed to give us was private check-in,out and any EXTRA drinks we asked for. when asked to upgrade to platinum was told it would be 45.00/person/per night totalling 630.00. hardly worth it. we will look at other resorts next year.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Let me first start by saying that I had to transfer from the Riu Bambu to the Bavaro Princess after a mold issue at the Riu. We took the recommendation of the Princess from some other travelers in the lobby (Thank you, Mary and Jeremy!)

After a very rough start to our vacation, we were blessed to have ended up at the Princess. The location, rooms, staff, and food were amazing. Definately a 5 star, which the Riu is also rated. However, there is no way that the Riu would be considered a 5 star in the United States. I don't even know if it would be a 3 star.

The beach at the Princess is awesome. Huts to hide out from the sun, a bar on the beach, staff taking drink orders, places for kids to play, and food that is easily accessible.

The food and drinks at the resort were also amazing. I loved not having to have reservations to eat at the specialty restaurants. Even better, we never had to wait once. The service was good, not great. They lacked at filing drinks, but I can over look that. Even the buffet was great. They had a salad bar, Italian bar, American (hotdogs and burgers), and a different ethnic cousine nightly. Plus, they had a crepe bar at every meal! The staff was friendly and remembered you when you walked in. My only complaint about the breakfast, the pancakes were never really hot. However, the omlets were fantastic! As were the crepes.

The rooms were also very nice. The smell was a little off, but what can you expect in a tropical location? They were clean and the maids left flowers and little animals made of the bedding daily. Each room is a suit that has its own hot tub, a nice walk in shower, and double sinks. Having a patio and own little sitting area is also a bonus.

We spent most of our time on the beach but the pools were also very nice. They had a pool up by the lobby that had its own bar and was never really populated. It was a nice place to go if you just wanted to relax and catch some sun. The main pool is large with lots of seating. We never had a problem finding a place to sit. The beach was very clean with plenty of chairs. You could sit in the sun or under your own little hut with a table. Very relaxing.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. We had an amazing time and were extremely happy with the change from the Riu Bambu.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went down with my wife for a belated honeymoon (7 months in) and had a wonderful time here. The resort is excellent, the food at the a-la-carte restaurants is fantastic as well.

Buffets were found to be a bit lacking in taste and choices in the food, but for breakfast they worked.

The resort is about 20 years old, and you can tell that they haven't done too much updated/modernizing of the resort since then, but it is still is in really good, clean, condition, just not state-of-the-art modern. The Honeymoon suite was great, newly renovated bathroom, although the "hot" water was barely warm enough to shower in.

Staff were friendly, although I found they didn't seem to appreciate tips, and regardless of if you tipped or not, you got the same service. Leaving $$$ in the mini-fridge never resulted in more beverages, which was 2 cokes, 2 sprites, and 2 beers, plus 2 bottles of water per day.

Won't likely go back, since there are just numerous options for other resorts down the road. A nice stay, enjoyed myself, and would recommend it to friends - just don't expect a 5-star resort, 4-star is appropriate in this case.

Room Tip: Had a ground floor, would recommend 2nd story floor for additional patio privacy.
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I want to start out by saying that the service was excellent at this resort. I could not ask for better. Dancia at reception, Anna at the Platinum Club and Yohan the delivery guy were very notable and provided service above and beyond what was expected of them.

The moment we got there we decided to upgrade to the Platinum Club right away as the room we were first assigned to seemed old and smelled very damp. Our new room was perfect as well it should be since it cost over $600 for the upgrade.

I would not stay here again for the following reasons: the food was bland (I liked the Chopin Restaurant the best though). No face cloths in the bathroom. We asked for and received a face cloth on the 3rd day we were there but did not receive any more after that. How weird is that? The place is too big. You have to take a bus/train to go from one end to the other. I thought the entertainment was lacking compared to other places. We had to travel through a "sketchy" area to get to the resort. I would not want to wander outside the resort.

Again the service was excellent and the Platinum Club I would recommend.

Room Tip: Unless you want to upgrade to the Platinum Club, I would avoid going there.