“Go Platinum” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

Save Saved
You added Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino to your Saves list
Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Italia, Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #39 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Caledon, Canada
“Go Platinum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Platinum is worth it if you like quiet areas and many extras. The rooms are closer th the beach, many with beach front or beach view. Extras: Bathrobes & slippers in room. Free reservation for 'Licey' restaurant ( which I believe is $45.p.p. extra). Private check-in and out. Concierge service for restaurant reservations. Free 20 min. Massage p.p. Free 24 hr. room service. Your own Platinum beach area with padded beds & padded beach chairs, Platinum bar with premium drinks and towel exchange. The part we liked best was the Platinum open-air lounge with T.V. you can go to with a short walk open 7;00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. for coffee choices, tea, sweet rolls & fruit in A.M. Frig. with orange juice, tomatoe juice, bottle water, sandwiches & appitizers at 5:00 p.m. 2 nights a week at 6:00 p.m. Special Treat - 1 night wine and a beautiful selection of cheeses. Another night was sushi & Saki. The girls serve you premium drinks, champagne, or beer. All the staff at Platinum area were very friendly and helpful. Platinum guests are the only ones that can visit 4 other Princess hotels in the area. We visited Caribe Club & Punta Cana Princess, walking distance along the beach. We went to the bar for a drink before we walked back. You can also go to the restaurants. If dinner, they will pick you up at Platinum lounge, deliver you to hotel and pick you up 1-1/2 hrs. later. I guess the only complaint we had all week was the Chopin restaurant was closed, This was our 2nd stay and would go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

4,878 people have reviewed this hotel

1940
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was an Awesome experience! Don't be scared by bad reviews !! They are not true!! I've been all over the islands and this place was one of the best!! I loved every moment spent here!! Wish I was there now!! Upgrade to platinum! I felt like a princess all week!!

• Stayed November 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My sister in law and I went on Nov 29 to Dec 6 and it was great. The best part by far was the animation team (Jourdain, Alex, Juan Carlos, Melvin, Caren, Happy Face, Michael and Robert). They were always very energetic and we looked forward to seeing them everyday. We spent a lot of our vacation with them spending most of the day participating in the activities at the beach and pool then dancing the night away after the show. They really made our vacation one we will never forget! I wish we were able to stay longer!

The rooms, food and drinks were good and there was shopping just across the street. There were a lot of people on the beach selling things but they weren't too aggressive. The beach was beautiful and it usually wasn't hard to find chairs.

I would suggest to bring bug spray as the bugs got bad at night and it did rain most nights but they supply you with an umbrella. Also I would suggest to bring a watch because we didn't have a clock in our rooms and we never found a single clock on the resort.

This was a great vacation and I would go back to this resort again for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We are still at the resort as I am writing these notes...

We purchased a 10 day Platinum vacation package for the three of us from Nov. 22 to Dec. 2, 2012 (from Toronto -through WestJet Vacations).

Amongst many things I must mention that the resort's garden is unbelievably beautiful, simply astonishing! Also the staff is very kind, nice, smiling, and very accommodating, even though they can cause significant frustration due to their lack of communication in the English language -- total respect to those who speak English, even if it's on the most basic levels.
The food is pretty great, too. It would be nicer if they'd come up with a selection of Dominican cuisine for a week and repeat that rather than inserting such themes as Russian and French or Mexican ir Oriental nights.
If I had wanted to experience those foods, I would go to the particular country. We came to the Dominican Republic because we wanted to know this country, not France or Mexico or China.

After checking in we got settled and at about 9 pm on November 22 I called for our laundry to be picked up and cleaned. The agent on the other end informed me that it's too late now, but someone will be there in the morning to pick it up. I asked what time, he said about 8 o'clock. I said OK, they will be in a bag outside in front of the door.
8 o'clock went by, then 9, and 10, and nothing happened. I called them again, apologizing for bothering them repeatedly (as if I really had to apologize for this on the Platinum level), but I would like them to pick up our laundry. They said they will send someone to pick it up right
away, no worries. I like the "right away" part!
Well, then came 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, and then 1pm, and 2pm, and at 2:30pm I called them again, and asked if they perhaps forgot about it (after calling now for the 3rd time)... and FINALLY someone came and picked it up at 3pm.

We were TRULY surprised by two additional things (that we've never experienced at any FIVE-STAR resorts before): I opened the tap of the tub and I saw the water tricking out rather extremely slowly... AND, I had it at the hottest setting and it was not even warm! To summarize the whole "bathtub event," it took a total of 94 (NINETY FOUR) minutes to fill up.
Is this a characteristic of a FIVE STAR resort? Not in my books!

On our second night at the Princess Bavaro in Punta Cana we looked at the room service menu and decided to order some food at 10:40pm. I called Room Service. I got an answering service saying "We are sorry but we can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message and one of our professionals will return your call." ...then I heard a beep, and then came another message: "There is no more room to leave a message.
Goodbye." I thought to myself "what a 'great' FIVE-STAR service this
really is! WOW!" I felt like a skilled secretary by the time I got through to a live person; it took me a total of 9 (nine) calls before I was lucky enough to speak to a live person... And, I was greeted with the sad news that I can no longer order from the regular menu as it is now 11 o'clock and now they serve snacks only. Well, that's how 'great' the Room Service is at the Bavaro Princess resort. Would I call it a FIVE-STAR room service? Not in my lifetime!

On the second day of our stay we went out to the beach in the morning and got back at about 2 pm... and our room was still (!!!) not made up! Our (three-year old) child has her afternoon sleep usually between 2 and 5pm, so our room was cleaned at 5 o'clock after all. In any other truly-5-star resorts the rooms are cleaned between 9am and 2pm.

Let me mention about the resort's "5-star" telephones, too. Maybe it was just our luck, but we had our phone changed 4 (four) times! The connection of the phone-cable was bad in two occasions, the ringer switch was stuck in one unit and the receiver cord's receptacle had some contact problem in another. I have never had any problems with any telephones in any other five-star resorts, but again, this might have been just a fluke.
(Right!)
Here, amongst many things, I should also mention that by looking at the apparent LACK OF maintenance one can simply conclude that the management of the Bavaro Princess has completely neglected to look after maintenance issues for many years. As it appears, this resort could have been 5-star at some point of time perhaps 20 to 25 years ago. If they kept up with the proper (and necessary) maintenance, they could have upheld its star rating, but not like the signs show how they've been handling it.

On our 4th day we went to the snack bar at the beach where they made hamburgers and hot dogs. The hot dogs were OK, but the hamburgers were either equal to or worse than what they serve on cheap events in your home town, probably even worse than the McDonald's burgers. Nevertheless, we've now been used to the "piling" insults to our wallet, so we just left the burgers on the table to be thrown out. Since we were hungry and the main restaurants were closed for another hour or two, we were snacking away at the fries... And when we asked for napkins, the waiter stated that there are NO NAPKINS! I raised my eyebrow and was appalled at this new fact, but I was no longer surprised that they leave their 5-STAR guests
with greasy fingers as if they were pigs in a sty. Greasy fingers and
unsanitary conditions are all fine for these pigs, right?!?!!!
Then we were served with some orange juices, and when asked if they could give us some straws, (again: no surprise) we were told they have NO STRAWS! I wasn't about to allow my lips to touch those glasses... (But we were very thirsty!) Same issue in the main buffet at dinner time: they had NO STRAWS! If you have seen the glasses' cleanliness, you would beg (!!!) for straws! At some cases you saw the grease spots of previous guests on the glasses.
It left me with no choices but to question if they used absolutely any
detergent to wash the glasses! Is that how they save on their expenses?
Not very impressive from a (supposedly) 5-STAR resort! *gulp* Congratulations WestJet vacations for "contracting out" your valuable Canadian clients to this resort, great job!

Ever since we've arrived, we've had tiny ANTS around the coffee machine in our room. I opened a bottle of Sprite, and the ants found their way into the bottle pretty quickly. When I asked Management why the ants are around and perhaps if they could administer a more thorough cleaning (like sanitizing), say, once a year, the ants would likely stop infesting themselves... The answer was: "Oh, these are normal tropical ants, they don't bite, they just come in through gaps because of some sweet stuff on the floor..." Sweet stuff on the for??? Haven't I just mentioned about
sanitizing? Gaps??? In a FIVE-STAR resort??? Oh my!

I don't know about this 5-STAR resort, but up to date we've seen quality
(!!!) shows after every dinner on every other (TRUE) 5-STAR resorts we've been to. Here, at the Bavaro Princess all we got was some lousy
low-quality jazz music by some local musicians. Other 5-star resorts
like Iberostar or RIU in Spain or Jamaica or on the Bahamas or in Mexico or Panama provide their guests with talented singers, comedians and acrobats (just to name a few)!

Another important issue is that at this 5-STAR resort most of the staff do not speak or understand English. For example, I asked for an orange juice at lunch and the server staff member just looked at me (like I should have learned these words in Spanish...) and asked me "What?" Then I tried my best in Spanish, and mentioned the word "naranja" (which is supposed to mean 'orange' in Spanish), and I gesticulated a drinking movement... But, all I got was a questioning face and the question: "What?"
Is it how a 5-star resort should treat its Customers? I don't think so!

On the 3rd day I asked to talk with the resort's Manager on duty. Tony from the Guest Services volunteered to help me, but, as you can understand from the above mentioned examples and experiences, I had no trust in anyone else being able to make a difference but perhaps the (hopefully
somewhat competent) Manager. The Reception assured me that they will
contact the Manager himself, and set up an appointment for me.
The next morning my child, my wife and I went down to the beach. I came back to the room at about 10:35 to get something, and I found an envelope on the ground. I opened it and it contained an official looking letter in which the Management stated that the Manager was ready to see me at 11am.
The letter didn't say where he would like to meet. (Any more details
would seem more like 5-star detail -- how do I dare think that way?) I
called Guest Services and told them that I got their appointment letter a mere 20 minutes prior to the meeting time and their 5-star services hardly
leave me time to prepare or even arrive (on time) to the meeting. I
asked them to send their esteemed Manager to see me on the beach, I will
be there at the Platinum section. He appeared in tow with Tony Estenor,
the Guest Services Manager. I verbally listed the problems I've experienced in the resort so far. Of course I was talking to smart people
-- after all, that's why they were chosen to be in their positions, so they were doing their absolute best to come up with the best excuses (when there were any excuse available). It was good to hear some productive responses such as "We'll have to look into that, and how we can improve in that area of Service."
At the end of our meeting, Manager Ronald Ramirez presented us with a 30 minutes Spa treatment, and a free ticket to a zoo nearby. This is a fairly nice basic compensation for the troubles we had experienced (so
far) in the first four days of our stay at the Bavaro Princess resort.
Unfortunately they had no clue for how much more we will suffer for the rest of our stay. Read on...

On November 29 our (4th) phone broke, the buttons had to be pressed by about a 4 lbs force to be effective. We asked for the 5th (!!!) phone in
our 7 day stay so far. What a 5-STAR experience!!! Hmmmm....

On Friday, November 30 at about 7:50am we got to one of the "bus-stations," this time by the Platinum reception. We waited over 25 minutes (not exaggerating), till the bus came (the resort is so huge, the guests need to be transported by bus, to the buffet, to the beach, etc.).
I asked the staff why we have to wait so much for the bus. They said there is only 1 (one) bus from 7 till 8 in the mornings. (The resort is 100% occupied.). Apparently there are 3 busses from 8am, according to what this staff member said, though I've seen only 2 busses at this time period in the last 7 days.
Let's see the facts: the resort is 100% occupied. Guests are waiting for transportation to go have breakfast. We humans are much more irritable when we are hungry than otherwise. Guests will remember the LACK of SERVICE they were receiving while waiting. This problem can spread bad reputation amongst future potential guests... Which equals to loss of income. Note for Resort Management, especially to the Guest Services department and Mr. Ronald Ramirez (Resort Manager). Having another bus added between 7 and 8am could result in more income... Especially when the resort is full! It would also make a 5-STAR resort look more like a 5-star one!

When we got to the Buffet, I asked a server for a high chair for our 3-year old daughter, he said he'll look around for one. That didn't happen for about 5 minutes, so I looked at all the sections of the restaurant and found one. I carried it all across the entire restaurant and seated my daughter. In a 5-STAR resort the staff would have (quickly) helped the guest with such a need!
Then my wife asked a server for a green tea. The waiter brought a black
tea. My wife pronounced it super-clearly: "grrreeeen" still, the waiter just looked at her puzzled and asked "What?" Was I supposed to learn that word in Spanish as well? Why didn't I Lear Spanish fluently before I came
to this resort?!?!!! Shouldn't their staff learn the ten most basic
English words???

At 10:50am on November 30, our 8th day, I called for Room Service (for milk in my morning coffees). I was connected to a machine that said:
"you've been forwarded to a voice mail service to which the extension you called doesn't subscribe. Goodbye." I called 2 more times, both times a different Room Service extension, each time I let the phone ring 20
(twenty) times, still no answer. I called again in about 10 minutes and I
got through. *Whew!* Room Service said they will send someone to bring
my milk right away. At 3:30pm (nearly 5HOURS LATER) I called Guest
Services to discuss the issue. Following that conversation where I reminded them how nothing has changed in their class of services, I
finally got my milk at 3:55pm. What a 5-STAR experience -- more like
3-STAR! Again: allow me to congratulate WestJet Vacations for robbing us
out of several thousand dollars for nearly nothing in return!!!

Finally, a POSITIVE experienced: the Mini Disco (for the kids) was super, we were very pleased to be there! A nicely spent thirty minutes!

On our way back from the Mini Disco to our room it was raining, and the bus not only had no side protection against the rain, but the roof had numerous holes in it as we'll, so we got superbly wet. It would take Management so little amount of money to make it better for their guests, yet they choose not to take that route. That's sad to see. They could easily make this place a truly 5-star resort... But not this way!

Watermelon was available only for the first two days of our stay. No more trace of it at all afterwards.
Tomatoes were available for the first seven days of our stay. After that the only tomatoes we could spot was the damaged ones and they used them for decoration purposes only.
We understand that keeping a low inventory on fruits and vegetables saves money... But is this how a 5-STAR resort's guests are to be treated?
Apparently (and sadly) yes. Again, all our thanks to WestJet Vacations
for choosing this resort! Good job! (Right...)

On our 8th day we had lunch at the Culture Restaurant (nearby the snack bar by the beach). There was no more napkins, so I interrupted the two girls who were involved in a heavy conversation (supposedly not about work), and asked them to get some more napkins and forks too since there was only one left in the tray. One of them disappeared and came back in about a minute that there will be more napkins in about 2 minutes. You can guess as there were no napkins in 10 minutes. And this was at lunch time!

Throughout the entire resort we've spoken with numerous guests, and during our conversations it came up (at almost all cases) how we or they would rate this resort, whether it should be a 5-star resort or less.
Everyone, without any exception, STRONGLY STATED that it should certainly
be a weak 4-star or, in some guests' opinion, only a 3-star. Some of the
guests we spoke with were repeat guests where some have returned the 3rd or 4th times, and they ALL stated that the resort is becoming worse and worse every time they come, and they also said the resort has indeed long lost its 5-star status.

I should also mention that a Westjet Vacations employee (named Melinda) called me and asked me to tell her in my words how I feel about this resort. I told her some of the above listed points, and, since she called me, I asked her how she was prepared to proceed. The least the company (WestJet Vacations) should do is compensate their Clients somehow for their (continuous) disappointments. She mentioned to me that I and my family should just leave this resort and upgrade to a different one AT OUR OWN COST! Her other suggestion was to simply leave, and go back home to Canada (with absolutely no refund offered from WestJet Vacations). I asked her if WestJet Vacations would reimburse us a portion of our vacation package costs if we choose any of the options offered by herself
on behalf of WestJet Vacation, but she said NO. That's one way to make
sure that I, along with all my friends, associates, employees, acquaintances and anyone I speak with about any future vacations will stay away from using WestJet Vacations. I also asked her to email me the options she just mentioned to me -- just to make her call and our conversation official -- but she briefly stated that she will NOT put anything about our conversation in writing. She has also stated that the Bavaro Princess resort called her to devise a solution and (according to her words) the resort had specifically asked her assistance in EVICTING me and my family. I said to her: "Wow, now this is becoming increasingly interesting, and I now insist that you put all of these facts in writing and send it to me by email please." She, of course, would not send anything to me IN WRITING. She asked me to speak with the resort's management and let her know how I wish to proceed. She left her local Punta Cana telephone number with me.
Immediately after this conversation I called Mr. Tony Estenor at the Guest Services department for the validity of Melinda's statements, and he
(repeatedly) mentioned to me that he or other staff members simply REPORT to WestJet Vacations what took place with their Clients, in this case my disappointments that I verbally stated to him, but by absolutely no means has he or any staff of the resort ask Melinda or anyone else at WestJet Vacations to assist them to evict us or even ask us to move (or upgrade) us to any other resort. I then asked Tony to re-confirm everything with the Manager Ronald Ramirez Guerrero that he had not said anything like this to Melinda from WestJet Vacations. I asked Tony if he would agree with me that Melinda from WestJet Vacations had said untrue information -- which was further validated when she denied my request to put her words in an email message, and Tony confirmed that it appears that Melinda was LYING to me about the evicting part of her conversation to me. (Otherwise she would have put her statements in writing as to make it official.) Tony also stated that if they felt a guest should be evicted from their properties, they would not ask the assistance of any third party company.
He kindly mentioned that eviction occurs only if a guest vandalizes property (like breaks a Television set or radio, etc.) or of a guest hurts an employee or another guest, or if s/he would promote negative marketing about the resort among other guests. Tony diplomatically explained that if a guest is disappointed, it's only a challenge for the management to fix the particular problem. (It appears to me that Mr. Tony Estenor is a truly superb management talent, and hopefully he will be promoted to a position where he can put his talents to use. I will do my absolute best to promote him to the head office to Princess Hotels the next time I will be in Southern Spain. I hope they will also read this document.

I would never return to the above mentioned resort. When a person is more stressed on vacation than in their job, that's a sad fact. I like the management, too bad they are unable to improve this resort in a significant way.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We traveled on Nov.27-Dec.5,
Family of 5 (3 adults,1-5year old and a baby) the rooms were big enough to have us all and plenty of room for all other stuff, so we didn't feel like we were on top of each other.
Resort is absolutely beautiful !!!!! Grounds are so well maintained, everyday we saw some one cutting grass, picking up leaves and so on....
In the morning one of the guys who cleaned up the property would offer you coconuts right from the tree above you!!!
Hmmmm so delicious!!!
Now food:
Buffet was just ok, nothing special. I personally though they would have more variety of food.
We only had breakfast and few times dinner in there.
Restaurants:
Tanuki- was good just like any Hibachi with the show and lots o laughing.
Sakura- was something in between of Chinese and Japanese food, good but not impressed.
Bella Pasta- was just yummmmy it was one of the favorites!
El Pascador- was also delicious seafood and the atmosphere was phenomenal!!!
Gaucho- was my favorite... Steak was soooo good that you can swallow your tongue lol
Choppin- we don't know why but it was closed all that week. So can't say anything about it:(
Lunch on the beach was great too, plenty of food to all tastes.

For those who travel with kids:
Kids club is so much fun!! Anna Iris
Was great, she knew my son by the name next day!
He was counting time till mini disco!
That was a lot of fun for us too :)

Beach: it was beautiful, you can walk a lot down the shore... Loved that!
There were big waives so its not like you can swim in calm water, my 5 year old would only stay by the beginning of the beach and wouldn't be able to go any furthers with put us. But that was still ok.
We spent half a day at the beach and the other half by the pool so that our kids can enjoy the swimming also.

Would I go back? Probably not
Bit it's just me, I like to experience new resorts every time I go!

I would definitely recommend this to others, but just like one time thing!!

Enjoy your next vacation @ Bavaro

• Stayed December 2012
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was my first time to Punta Cana and I was not disappointed! The Bavaro Princess resort came highly recommended and it lived up to all the reviews!

I had originally thought that I had booked a suite, however when we arrived we were booked into the main hotel at the back of the resort as I had actually booked a junior suite. Although the main hotel is lovely, it's not what I had anticipated. Danicia and Daniello at the Reception Desk took care of moving us to a suite in a villa without any hassle (we did have to pay the difference, which was minimum and WELL worth it for what we wanted). The new room was absolutely fabulous and only a 2 minute walk (through beautifully manicured grounds) to the beach, main pool, and all the a la carte restaurants. Altagracia did a wonderful job keeping our room clean and tidy (and keeping us well stocked in towels). We really appreciated that Danicia called us almost everyday just to check to see that everything was to our liking.

The beach is beautiful and there are ample loungers for everyone. Be warned that at this time of year (late November/early December) it is very wavy so if you have little kids you won't be able to let them play in the ocean unattended. For adults though it was fun body surfing. We took a walk along the beach (which is one resort after another) - Bavaro Princess had the best section of beach!!! Other resorts were crowded too close to the water or had worn and tattered loungers. The beach at Bavaro Princess was exceptional!

When we were visiting guest were able to visit the a la carte restaurants without a reservations (I don't think the resort was full to capacity during our stay so this may be different during the peak of the tourist season). We dined at Bella Pasta (Italian) twice (Carlos - you run an amazing restaurant!), El Gaucho (Steakhouse), El Pescador (seafood) and Tanuki (Teppanyaki). The food, service and wine was impecible! The decor at the a la carte restaurants have all recently been redone so the atmosphere is lovely (similar to fine dining in Toronto or Montreal). We only ate at the buffet twice for dinner but we were happy with the wide selection. Of particular note were the fresh bread and rolls!

The thing that really stood out to us about Bavaro Princess was the incredible staff!!!!! I've never experienced such amazing customer service anywhere! One night I had a bit of a stomach ache - the waitress at the buffet (who didn't even speak English), figured out that I wasn't feeling well and made me a tonic water concoction with lime and salt right at the table. I felt much better afterwards. Whether it's the reception reps, wait staff, housekeeping, the grounds crew, or the entertainment staff, everyone is so incredibly friendly and welcoming!! Mucho gracias to everyone who made our stay amazing!

A couple of tips though: 1. Don't forget to bring sunscreen and bug spray. The mosquitos are pretty bad, even though the resort sprays for them. Sunscreen (and other amenities) are super expensive on the resort ($30 US/bottle) so don't forget these at home. 2. Don't drink the tap water (they warn you about this on the busride to the resort), but don't worry about bringing bottled water from home - they restock the bottled water in the room (which is included) and all the bars serve bottled Dasani water. 3. Don't bother with snorkel gear unless you plan to go on a off-the-resort excursion. There is nothing to see directly off the beach at the resort. There is a reef quite far down Bavaro beach which we visited one day as part of a catamaran tour (Sunny Day - I'd highly recommend it!!)

If you are looking to have a crappy time and complain about the food and drinks and new climate and cultures, then I'm sorry but no resort will be up to your standards. I think that a lot of the people who have written less than stellar reviews about this Resort really are those miserable travellers who won't be happy anywhere. If you are looking to have a relaxing, amazing vacation then your expectations will be exceeded at the Bavaro Princess!

Happy travelling!

Room Tip: Junior suites = main hotel at the back of the resort (10 minute walk to the beach, or 2 minute troll...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Yes there are negatives about this resort & positives as well. This was my husband & I first trip to the Dominican which was a little over-whelming when you first arrive to the airport. Nothing like the USA. Just try to adjust to the stress of the whole transition from airport to hotel. Anyway the Bavaro was nice but not anything that Wowed us. Yes the food was not the best but there is certaintly more than enough to chose from. We went for sun, beach, & ocean not so much for the food anyway. We upgraded to platinum and our room was ocean front. Absolutly loved the view. Also the private dinning & private beach for platinum people was a huge plus for us because we were treated like kings everywhere we went & we experienced the same treatment when we visited the other sister hotels as well. It was worth the upgrade by far! The only huge negative was be prepared for lots of Europeans... especially the Russians.. and I have nothing against these people however they are extremely rude & pushy when it comes to standing in any line to be served wheather it be the buffet line or the bar line to get drinks. As friendly as I tried to remain, my patients for their rudeness was very limited by the end of our trip. For that reason alone my husband & I will most likely not return to that area. On the good side, we met some wonderful people that were very friendly and pleasant to hang with which were the Canadians!! We met very few Americans but when we did it was very nice to have that in common. Enjoyed all of those that we met and it helped from being bullied by the Russians. Just be prepared for different cultures if your not use to rudeness. The staff were wonderful especially in the Platinum lounge area. Thank you Freddy, Margarete, & Juan! Our room was always emaculant due to housekeeping~ Thank you Anazara and our Bar tenders (too many of them to name) About the Eco area, yes it smelled like sewage but we didnt explore that area but once and that was enough. We did not experience any mesquitos at all so not sure why people complained about that. The grounds were kept emaculant as well. Hopefully this information has helped someone for making a decision to come to this area, if you love to party then I would say go~ The drinks are strong & they keep coming, there is plenty of choices to eat, the rooms are big & accomadating, the staff is friendly, upgrade to platinum, the beaches are nice & the ocean is beautiful~ just be patient and enjoy the moments that are nice. :-)

Room Tip: Second level rooms are private & Ocean view is wonderful!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple