“not happy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #18 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
long island
“not happy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

My husband and I and 2 other couples stayed at this all inclusive resort. We are all experienced travelers, and were not happy in our experience there. The rooms were not very clean. Upon arriving I had to request the bedding be changed. The white bed spread was very dirty. Isn't that something that is changed with every new guest? It looked like a tire ran across it. The tiny bugs in the bathroom set me off my rocker. I had no coffee maker, no robes, no iron, all as promised in the room discription. Our friends room had a broken lock, and could not leave the room until it was fixed. The waste of a half a day. Our other friends were moved completely across the compex because their air conditioner did not work. Then their television did not work. The staff spoke English only when we had money in our hands. The bank teller was down right rude, and had a very bad attitude. I am sorry I am a tourist in your country and you are working while I am enjoying myself. You wouldn't have a job if this were not the case stupid! She ignored us and told the person who let her know we were waiting to "Let us wait". The bank opened at 9:00 and it was already 9:15. The food really was decent for an all inclusive, but any of the Reserveration Only restaurants were booked if you did not place your reservations the day you arrived. Fortunately our travel agent advised us of this and we did. The food and the drinks were pretty good. I am a very good cook (if I do say so myself) and a bit of a snob when it comes to restaurants. The steak at the steakhouse was fantastic, the lamb at El Romantico was great.
The seaside buffet was incredible. So many choices, and very fresh.
We all did, however, experience stomach problems towards the end of our trip. This did not even happen to any of us in Mexico. I don't think it was the food, I do think it was the water. Even though there is bottled water in the room, there is no sign saying not to even brush your teeth with it. It is four days since my return and I am still ill as are a few others. The only other thing I can add was that the excursions were very expensiveand limited to people in optimal health. One excursion that our friends went on was an hour and a half trip to a remote Dominican village. They were put on an unairconditioned bus, and then on a monster truck in 93 degree heat. No bathroom. (can be a problem). If there were airconditioning we would have gone. My husband is 52, asthmatic and I love him. I would not think of putting him through that as much as I wanted to go.
Horseback riding on the beach was very nice, but again you had to book the day you arrived. Alot of research is needed before going to any of these places. We have been to many all inclusives. This was our worst experience, and was supposed to be a 5 star hotel. Are they putting all their effort and work into the new Paradisis?
Better luck next year

• Liked — the pool and beach were beautiful and well kept
  • Disliked — the staff and the lack of cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — book restaurants, and excursions well ahead, bring immodium
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

We just returned from Paradisus Punta Cana from Aug 1 thru Aug 9, our experience was one of an interesting nature. I will say first off the hotel grounds were very nice, dated but well maintained. It seemed that every corner we turned someone in some way was maintaining the property, whether it be cleaning the walkways to painting the signs.

Thank you to all previous posts as they were very helpful and I will probably mirror some comments.

* Language barrier was challenging at times, some staff went well out of their way to assist others had very little interest in understanding (this was the minority). Dollar bills help in most cases. Front desk spoke English the best.

* Food- was decent, Mexican, Chinese & Japanese among the favorites. Just keep in mind that you are not in the USA. For those concerned about the water, everything is bottled. Table water is from 5 gal and you still can ask for small bottles. You just need to ask for it. Ice is purified and bagged; we saw carts delivering the water daily to the restaurants and bars each morning.

*Rooms- were dated, this is where we ran into our first & second issues, and we were traveling with another couple and learned quickly that the plumbing was so so. There was an issue with one of the "facilities" and when the front desk was called, we were told to place the used paper in the trash rather than to flush. In the public areas you will see this. Just the initial shock that the front desk made this comment left an uneasy feeling. Long story short. they did have maintenance check the facility and confirm all was in order. After several flushes (or attempts) still no major change. 2nd call was made, management was then involved which resulted in a 2nd service call to more men arrived rather quickly and told us that there was a problem and would be fixed that evening. To make matters worse the room was not acceptable on the cleanliness side; one of the beds had sand between the sheets. On day 2 better accommodations were made through the involvement of our travel agent and hotel management. Room issues went away for the remainder of the trip due to a room change. They did provide an iron / ironing board & Hair dryer in the room in addition to a safe at no charge.

*Attire- For men, expect to wear casual pants each night (we saw people wearing jeans but not too many). Restaurants that were air-conditioned were, Japanese (reservation required), French (reservation required) and Mexican all others were open air dining. For women, capris were fine. Just no shorts for either. If you want a “shorts” night, there is always the buffet or room service, which delivers 24 hours a day.

Last but not least, the bar on the beach that we called the fish bar due to the mosaic of fish swimming was our favorite; the bartender at night (Omar) had a great personality and was a pleasure. PS Try the Mamajuana (local drink), Omar will tell you all about it. For those interested in smoking, they offer cigarettes at all bars including the swim up (Marlboro & Marlboro Lights). Cigars are free only at the French & Mexican restaurants, all you need to do is ask because there is a “guy” by the main lobby bar that will try and sell them to you.

Taxes, be prepared to pay usd 10 for each person in your party to enter the Dominican Republic. There were rumors floating around the resort that there was a usd 20 tax per person to leave. We did not pay this to leave, we did hear that it is illegal to tax twice and only people who ask are trying to pull a scam. Only other annoyance was by the Hibiscus, there was a row of shops which of course encouraged you to shop, but by then entrance was a guy pushing ATV tours and Solmelia employees were trying to sell time-shares.

We hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Charlotte , NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

We had the best trip water was great & sand beautiful lot's of huts to get out of sun. We arrived to a very friendly staff we upgraded to the royal service and really liked the personal attention. The pools were so great just like the photos. The grounds were so awsome everywhere we looked was beauty and so well kept. The massages on the beach were the best of ever had anywhere really recommend that. Our family travels many places never been to all-inclusive I must say this was excellent. Loved the different places to dine every night and staff once again lovely. The food was pretty good and we did not get sick we took pepto a week before we left and also there. The nightly shows were very enjoyable and thet always had dancing around the bar areas. The lighted disco dance party on beach was such fun my 15 year old had a great time as well. Once again the staff at these events got everyone hopping and so friendly. I can 't say how great the staff were to us. I really had a wonderful vacation. There is also a helicopter service to and from the airport if you choose not to drive. Wasn't to bad of a price for a added adventure to your resort. This resort does a wonderful job all around. Trying to go back in Dec with the rest of our family. Charlotte NC

• Liked — Nice size rooms very clean loved beach & pools
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the helicoptor transport to resort area
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

We arrived to friendly staff and it only seemed to improve from there. Aura, Josh, and Maria DelaCruz were exceptional at providing personalized service for our entire stay. The staff were constantly grooming and cleaning the grounds. For the number of guests staying there, you felt like you were the only ones. Half way thru our week, we upgraded to Royal Service, and wished we had done that at the beginning. It was worth it for the services provided. Over all we had a great vacation there and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Pillow service
  • Disliked — Minor problems w/ the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Do the royal service
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

Let me start off by saying that I have experience with all-inclusive hotels for over 10 years. My wife and I have only stayed at all-inclusives in the Islands, and we have been to Jamaica, Turks, Barbados, Bahamas etc. We are late 30's, and we brought a 15 year old with us.
Pros. Beautifully landscaped grounds. Pool and beach area well kept.

Cons. Everything else. Hablo y comprende espanol un pocito (I speak and understand a little spanish) but it does not seem to help when trying to get help from most of the staff. If they want to ignore you, they will wether you can speak spanish or not. And believe me, they will ignore your presence most of the time. At first we didn't think much of it, but after trying to flag down waiters, and trying to get drinks at the pool bar, and coffee in the morning etc. it became apparent that no one is being trained in customer service. And good luck trying to do any of the actvities that are "included". Everything seemed to have been booked up 4-5 days in advance. A popular activity like snorkeling was only available for an additional cost of $270.00 for 3 of us. (I thought it was an all-inclusive)? Now I am far from being a snob that expects white glove service, but I resented the fact that we were ignored several times by hotel staff. Like the bank teller in the lobby that stood talking to her friend for 1/2 hour while we were waiting to get money. Like the waiters at the grill rest. for lunch, that never seemed to realize we needed drinks. Like the waiter in the Italian rest. that looked up to see my wife waving at him to place an order, and looking away as if she wasn't there. She waited an additional 5 minutes, and left without him ever attending to her.
All in all was the worst vacation that we have ever been on, and by the way, I have never written a complaint letter before. I just had to in this case, because if it saves just one family from wasting their money on this hotel, I wish it could have been us.

• Liked — Beach/pool
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Zagreb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

The beach and the hotel garden is just beautiul. The rooms are very nice yet I would say some details could be improved. The personel is friendly and competent, but somtimes you have to have a little patients with them to get what you want. I would say that I would come back one day and with the experiance from this 7 day stay I would enjoy it even more, since the place is huge and you don't have time to explore everything let alone to enjoy all the activities hotel offers.

• Liked — Beautiful scenary
  • Disliked — Front desk personel
  • Tips/Secrets — Be patient with personel, they are good but little slowish
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

We spent a week at Paradisus and had a great time. As everyone says, the grounds are stunningly beautiful! There are so many people working all day long to keep everything looking gorgeous. The sand on the beach is so soft. The pool is wonderful and kept very clean. I would say the food was good - not excellent, but we are from a big city and used to many fine dining restaurants. You should MOST definitely arrange reservations as soon as you arrive. You should also try to arrange a time for the inclusive snorkeling trip ASAP. The available spots are claimed quickly and if it is too windy they cancel - that happened to us. I read one review that mentioned food poisoning. I have a hard time believing this was a genuine case of poisoning. Just because visitors get sick does not mean the food is poisoned. The locals eat and drink everyday without a problem. When your body is not accustomed to the bacterial elements native to an entirely different part of the world this causes digestive problems - it happens to me every time we travel anywhere in the Caribbean. Get a Cipro prescription from your family doctor before you go and start taking it at the first sign of trouble - you'll be fine. We tipped the staff and found it was very much appreciated. The average Dominican wage is only $120/month. Also, we recommend you make an attempt to speak Spanish whenever possible. It is also appreciated. All in all - we would definitely recommend Paradisus.

• Liked — property and the ocean
  • Disliked — front desk staff too disorganized
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!