“Very good and not so good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Vancouver, WA
“Very good and not so good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I made our first trip to Punta Cana 11-17 thru 11-29. After reading the reviews we decided to get the Royal Service option, which was a very good choice if you are traveling without children. First, about Royal Service. You have a private check-in lounge that makes it quick and easy to get your room. At check -in you get assigned, and meet your butler. You also get a cell phone so that you can contact him directly. The rooms are the closest to the beach and this resort is big and spread out so if you don't want a longer walk to the beach, this is a plus. (As a note, if you are considering booking the Reserve part of the resort, those rooms are the furthest from the beach and you need a shuttle cart to get to and from the beach unless you want to walk a long way). With Royal Service you have the use of a private pool with no kids, meaning quiet. There are cabanas around the private pool and there is a separate area on the beach with really comfortable beach beds and palapas if you want some shade. Be out there by 7:30AM to put towels on the spots you want to save, or risk not getting a cabana or palapa. The beach itself is very nice with soft white sand and well groomed everyday. You also get drink service on the beach and at the private pool, and I would say that the staff does a very good job of coming around regularly to see if you want anything. This service is for Royal Service and Reserve guests only. The room was nice, with an in room refrigerator. Someone else had said in their review that the refrigerator wasn't very cold unless you left the cabinet door open that the refrigerator sits in, which was the case in our room. I think that with this door closed there is no air flow for the refrigerator to work properly. With it open a bit, it worked fine. There are no ice machines to get ice if you want some, so you have to call your butler or the Royal Service lounge to have them bring it, which they will do. Housekeeping was excellent and did a good job. The nightly turn down service was spotty. i think that out of 12 nights it happened only half the time. Wi-Fi service was poor (sometimes it was working, other times not), but there are 4 computers in the Royal Service lounge that work well with no charge. There are several restaurants and 2 buffets to use for meals. Royal Service has the use of a private restaurant, LaPalapa, which had the best meals, but the service was poor and very slow at times. We actually walked out of lunch one time because no one was taking care of us, and left another time after dinner because they never brought the desserts that we ordered. The Gabi buffet was were we ate many of our meals, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner, was okay, but beverage service after you got your first drink was poor. They never checked to see if you wanted something else, or if everything was all right, so if you want something, be prepared to speak up. Naos, the other buffet was open for lunch and dinner, and we liked the food and service better there. Regarding the restaurants, have your butler make the reservations for you. Fuego, Mole, and The Grill had good food and service. Aqua, the Italian restaurant did nothing for us. As for tipping, we saw that most people didn;t seem to leave any tips, but we like to give tips for good service. Therefore, we would leave $2 each morning for the housekeeper, and $1 for each drink at the beach or pool. At the restaurants where a reservation was required, and the service was good we would usually leave $5. The service at LaPalapa and the buffets was poor, so we rarely left tips unless someone did do a good job. For the butler, we gave him $5 for each day that we were there at the time we checked out. If you are a golfer they will transport you to the Cocotal Golf course where the green fees are free, but the cart rental fee is outragious. From 7AM to 1PM it is $70 per rider, from 1PM to 4PM it drops to $40., and after 4PM it is $20. Have your butler make the tee times. The course itself is nice with 27 holes and never seemed crowded or played slowly. We would get in 18 holes in less than 3 hours and sometimes would play all 27 in less than 4 1/2 hours. You can google Cocotal Golf in Punta Cana to get the course information. One of the good things was that they would store your clubs for as long as you wanted for only $5 for the whole time you were there and we did that with no problems.

Room Tip: Royal Service, Building 9 would be my first choice because it is the closest to the private pool and...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We are staying at Paradisus Punta Cana right now and it is the 3rd time at this resort. Clearly, we liked it enough to return but this time to a serious disappointment. Rooms have been updated and not to quality. Furniture in our room looks beat up, air conditioning is pushing in air smelling so heavy of cigarette smoke we might as well be at some bar. House keeping probably feels we should be bringing our own shampoo and conditioner because they have given us none. I requested it now 3 times over the last 5 hours - still waiting!!!!! This was not what we remembered about our stays here. They used to care - we remember excellent service few years ago. We tip well but it seems almost expected.. Or more importantly there seems to be this "I don't care" attitude.
And then there are some that go extra mile or two - Kids Zone team is great. We needed cough sirup for our son and they had it delivered to the hotel from local pharmacy - dealing with a few issues along the way... They are cheerful and engaging and our kids love spending time doing various activities there.
I truly wish I could be more positive. The grounds are stunning and I'm sure most people work really hard here. We should not have to chase down housekeeping to make up our room at 4 pm. Or to leave us no shampoo and hair conditioner 2 days in a row.
Maybe I will finally get through to someone this way?? Calling front desk and housekeeping so far provided ZERO result. Still waiting - 5.5 hours later!!
Room 1138

• Stayed December 2014
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I retired earlier this year and wanted to do something special. Based on a prior experience with Royal Service we decided to go to Punta Cana and upgrade to Royal Service.

Check-in was smooth but seemed to take much longer than we expected due in part waiting for our butler. We were provided a cell phone so that we could contact our butler for any of the Royal Service benefits.

However, we had expected “an unforgettable experience’. That was not the case. It took 4 calls (butler and Royal Service concierge) to get some extra hangers in the room. On another occasion we ordered a bottle of wine for the room when we got back from the beach. There was no wine but 4 missed calls on the cell phone wanting to verify we wanted the wine. On another occasion we did the same thing and no wine but 7 (yes 7) missed calls to verify we wanted the wine. In frustration we gave the cell phone back and said we would call the Royal service concierge if we needed anything.

The room:

We had a very nice room with a Jacuzzi tub on the balcony. The Jacuzzi tub was a nice touch but we were only able to use it once out of the 3 times we wanted to use it due to no hot water when we returned from the beach. There was personalized coffee service in the room but the mugs provided were too big to fit under the dispenser. Personalized turn down service was non-existent. We would return from the beach around 5:00 and leave for drinks and dinner around 7:00. However, we had turn down service only 3 times during our 10-day stay.

The resort:

The gardens are spectacular. Without a doubt, this is one of the lushest resorts I have visited and they do a great job keeping it clean and well maintained. Our only comment would be the noise. Cleanup started around 7:00 to 7:30 in the morning and rather than sweep the paths and sidewalks, they use a blower! There are also small trucks delivering supplies around the resort early and the beach tractor adds to that.

Entertainment:

The shows we saw were very good and well performed. The “show theatre” was not used for many shows and I suspect this was because the hotel was not fully booked. Many of the shows were in the North Avenue Bar and this was fine.

The beach:

Absolutely fabulous! Yes, there is seaweed but all the hotels do a good job getting it cleared early. The sun beds were awesome and the concierge bar service was very nice – they were always there and knew what you liked. We like to walk the beach and we could go left for an hour or so but we preferred to go right because there was another paradises resort an hour walk away. We were able to stop by their Royal Service, use the restroom, cool off in the pool, have a drink and get another bottle of water for the walk back.

Restaurants:

We tried most of them and we especially liked the Grill (awesome Argentina steaks), Aqua, Vento and Fuego. We do like to dress up for dinner and we were disappointed by the lack of compliance with dress code. Some of the restaurants required long pants, shirts and no sandals or trainers. However, there were people in cargo shorts, t-shirts and on one occasion wearing a baseball cap! We were disappointed with the service at Palapa, the exclusive restaurant for Royal Service. It was extremely slow and on one occasion, lunch took almost 2 hours and we did not have desert. Also, it did not seem to matter what time you arrived, all the best tables against the windows to the beach were reserved / unavailable.

We did take our disappointment to the Royal Service manager on one occasion and we also spoke with the Palapa Restaurant manager on another occasion but service continued to be slow.

In conclusion, we did have an enjoyable vacation but were disappointed not getting the special service we expected from Royal Service based upon our prior experience.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The best part of our trip was the wonderful group of people working at the resort. In particular, Julio Mercedes who is the bartender in the casino, Reyni Ozuna who works at Gabi Beach and the Grill, Warlin Peralta and Noel who are in charge of the daily life enrichment classes, and Mindri who works at M Bar and the bar in the main lobby.

Room Tip: Try and get a room close to the beach, the resort is very big and you won't want to have to walk...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed at Paradisus from 11-29 thru 12-6 2014. The resort was definitely the most welcoming resorts I have been to in punta cana. And the grounds are very pretty. I love the cozy atmosphere. The beach is the best of the 8 or so resorts I've been to in pc. Wide beach, shallow entry just like I like it. Service was mostly good. Special shout out to Kendry, the hostess with the mostest. This lady is amazing. She always made us feel so special.

The food at the buffet was pretty good except for Monday which must have been when I got sick from the food. It didnt totally ruin my vacation, but it did put a small damper on things. In all fairness to the resort, I must say that I usually have a cast-iron stomach and this is the first time I've been to pc in several years without being on probiotics and that may have left me vulnerable.

Our room (junior suite) was an odd mix of the modern and the 'they need to change/refinish that'. House keeping and overall service was very good. We did tip a lot though which we didnt mind doing. One thing I didnt like was that the regular guests had to walk further down to our part of the beach. I dont mind that royal service and reserve have the nicer rooms, butlers etc, but I believe access to nature (the beach) should be equal. Maybe just have separate beach spot for the guests that have kids.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Oakland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Came here for 6 days for my daughters wedding with 40 people. Paid for upgraded Royal Service which included a Butler. Most of the guest never saw the butler after they were taken to their room. Room service food was either cold or "molded". Vouchers promised for Spa and massages upon booking, were never received. Towels weren't replaced daily. Ran out of face towels.
Rooms had bugs throughout, aside from "Bed Bugs." Gen. Mgr. said, "well it's resort."

When asked to be refunded the difference between the standard rate and Royal Service at the end, we were told that "you didn't give us any money" (that's because all payments were made in Florida for this resort) and "we don't have to talk to you now since you are back in the states."
I should mention that the "Bed Bugs" infestation was so bad, that one girl is still under the doctor's care having had an allergic reaction from the bites. Legal remedy being sought!

Room Tip: Standard priced rooms are further from the beach and restaurants.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was pleasantly surprised when I first arrived at the Paradisus. The ground are absolutely gorgeous, and the property was expansive. I met a friend there and we stayed in an ocean view Royal Service room. I walked on the beach and thought this property was on a nicer part of the beach with plenty of beach chairs and chairs/lounges at the pools. When I first saw the room, it wasn't quite what I expected. It was smaller and we had some issues with our door but it was fixed right away. And after sitting on the balcony overlooking the beach, it didn't matter at all. The room was literally right on the beach.

Food was always available at the Gabi restaurant and Naos (buffets). We loved the Gabi for breakfast because it was on the beach. Food is also available at the main pool.

We found almost everyone working at Paradisus to be very, very friendly and providing exceptional customer service. I want to give a special shout out to Enrique our butler who went out of his way to ensure we had everything we needed. He is a gem :). Also, we found the wait staff at the restaurants, pools and beach provided service above and beyond. We love Daniel (Fuego) and Alexander (Mole)! They came to the table frequently to make sure we had everything we needed and went out of their way to come and say hello when we saw them elsewhere on the property. Just super, super nice. And Francesca at Aqua is a standout. I will not forget you and your gift to me!

There is a wide range of restaurants to choose from (9 at this resort). We ate at Fuego, Vento, Mole and Aqua. Fuego was definitely one of my favorites and Daniel was our waiter. He was always smiling and making sure we were happy. The bartender there was also fantastic. I would recommend Fuego even if just for the desserts alone.

There are plenty of activities you can take part in and ventures outside of the resort if you choose to leave.

I read some other reviews about the mosquitos being bad but we didn't experience that at all.

The Reserve part of the resort is probably the furthest from the beach but there is always transportation to get to different parts of the resort which are fairly spread out.

There is free wifi throughout the hotel but it is spotty. They do have a business area with computers and a printer.

Finally, if you get a chance to get a massage on the beach, do it! It was probably one of the best memories of the trip!

Most of the staff speak some English, but there are not many at the airport. It always helps if you try to learn a little bit of the local language before you travel and it will definitely help with communication. You can get by easily though if you do not speak Spanish.

Tip: You can use US$, and I would recommend bringing enough smaller bills with you so you can tip the wait staff and housekeeping. If you need money while there, it will likely be in Dominican Pesos.

I would recommend Paradisus to couples, families and singles. I would have felt very comfortable and safe there if I was traveling by myself.

Room Tip: Rooms for The Reserve are furthest from the beach and pool but very nice. Royal Service was worth t...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!