“Horrible Horrible Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #19 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Horrible Horrible Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2004

I have been all over the Dominican Republic as well as other areas on vacations. I have never been so disappointed. The resort itself is beautiful. The location is great. Everything else was horrible. The staff barely spoke a word of English. The food was horrible. I think I had one good meal the whole six days I was there. They had the worst bartenders in the world. I asked for a screwdriver and the bartender came back with a margarita. I stuck with the bottled beer, which wasn't even that great. Everytime I ate, I got pains in my stomach. I have been to three different resorts in the Dominican Republic and the food is amazing. We had a party of over 70 people there for a wedding. The wedding planner, which was hired through the resort was horrible. Nothing went right for the wedding except the weather. Very unprofessional. Not one of our party had a room ready when we were told we would have them...normal checkin time. I had strangers come into my room when I finally arrived which means they double booked our room and gave someone the key to our room. Major security problem. Save your time and money...and go to another resort...unless of course, you are okay with a two star hotel.

• Stayed April 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,199)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2004

beautiful place. offered a variety of things to do. very european-which means services were catered to the european vacationers. restaurants are only open certain times & order from menu. dinner was not served until 7pm-all restaturants were closed from 3-7 and thats the time I usually eat dinner. you have to dress for dinner in all the restaurants. service in restaurants & bars was slow. housekeeping & guest services were fantastic. tips did go a long way.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2004

We stayed in the Paradisus for our Honeymoon Apr. 10-20, 04' - BIG MISTAKE. All of our friends recommended the hotel since they also spent their honeymoon there, what were they thinking???. Definitely, the hotel is overrated, NOT A 5 STAR, AT ALL!!!. PLEASE PLEASE get there after 3 pm, otherwise you will have to "cruise" around the lobby or change your clothes in the Concierge bathroom since your room won't be available till' 3 pm or so. The food not that great, stay away from the "Japanese" restaurant (YUCK). The only one that works fine for breakfast is the Hybiscus. The drinks, well, not a lot of options, and even if you are willing to pay $45-75 for a bottle of wine (that's all they have), still not a lot of options as you can see. Now, If you plan to take the "tram" from the lobby to your room after 10 pm, be ready to get a couple of drinks "for the road" because you will be waiting for a while, plus, it is very possible that you will not be dropped off where you need to. The staff very friendly, I can't complain, always working. The beach, great! the pool great! (if you don't mind swimming with straws and cups all over). I believe these 2 can be found anywhere so nothing expectacular about that.
I was really, REALLY dissapointed....

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2004

Our travel party was a group of 4 couples who have traveled together quite extensively and we all had to agree that for the money, this was one of our top 2 favorites. Another resort we have visited a couple of times is on Riviera Maya near Cancun---the Aventura Spa Palace. Every place we visit is compared with that as we always felt the grounds, the room, the food, and the service were extraordinary. The Paradisus compared very favorably in most aspects and we found the activities offered in the all-inclusive package were exceptional---as well as the beach. The golf initially lured us, but the included horseback riding and scuba diving were real deal sealers. Galloping down the beach with the turquoise Caribbean lapping the shoreline and the horse's feet is like a scene out of a movie. None of us were experienced riders but did just fine. The grounds of the resort are beautiful, we enjoyed the eco-park and photos we took with the birds on our arms or shoulders. The spa treatments were a highlight. Taking out the Hobie cats and sailing in the surf was a delight. The beach is a real keeper and great for romantic moonlit walks. The exercise and dance classes were great when we could fit them in. The pool and pool bar lured us in for a while each day. One lunch we ordered pizzas to go from the Italian restaurant and shared them by the pool.
We found the food to be very good and the service generally top drawer. There were occasions when it was hard to get your coffee cup refilled, but no problem---we're on vacation. Knowing a bit more Spanish would have been helpful, but we got accustomed to the waiter smiling and nodding his head to our request, but we quickly learned that it didn't really mean he understood what you wanted. No problem---we're on vacation. We found we only needed reservations at 2 restaurants----the Japanese and French. Get them as soon as you arrive--- at the bar in the center of the Templo de Gastranomia---where most of the restaurants are. We managed to get in the last 2 days of our stay, but made the reservations on our second day. For Golf we were able to make reservations at the lobby guest relations desk for the following day. Once you get to the golf course you can reserve up to 3 days in advance. If you are going golfing fairly early, order room service breakfast and request a box lunch which you can pick up at the lobby check in desk on your way out. One member of our group had a birthday during our stay. We were at the steak house that night and told our waiter. They turned out the lights and came out singing and banging a drum and brought a candle covered torte. It was fun.
We shopped at Plaza de Bavaro outside of the resort and found that to be an interesting experience. In buying a shorts and tee shirt outfit for my 5 year old granddaughter they quoted me a price of $30. When I nearly fainted they asked what was my maximum to pay. I told them $8 which they laughed at for a while but they continued to pursue the sale by attempts at bargaining but I soon walked out with the outfit for $8. It was an adventure in each of the shops.
All in all it seemed a toss up between the Palace in Cancun and Paradisus----each had their strong points. In Punta Cana there are less activities and tours available outside of the resort. The crowd at each of them was a little younger than my 63 years, but nobody says I have to act my age. Enjoy!!!

Hopkinton, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2004

After reading several reviews on this site prior to going, I had my doubts about the selection. We went from 4-21 to 4-27. To start with, we have been to all-inclusives in Jamaica, Aruba, Turks and Caicos, and the Bahamas. The paradisus was one of the best my family has visited. I'll be honest, the resort seemed half filled, so I could see how service might be a problem for those who want it NOW. The Carribean move an their own time and the DR is no exception. Here are some points to consider:Airport Customs - A breeze, 20 minutes tops with luggage. Van ride to resort - They supplied our own van direct to Paradisus. Check In - 15 minutes. Room - Spacious suite and in fact the staf moved furniture so 2 beds coud be added so my kids had their own. It was cleaned dail and the free (well all included) mini bar was replenished daily with soft drinks and bottled water. ( You could ask for beer in the mini bar). Did not see one bug in the room in 6 days. Food - Above average at the Japanese, Sea food, Il Romantica and the Brazilian, below average in the Italian. The buffets? Hey they are buffets. What do you expect. There was 24 hour room service, so ffod was never and issue. You are not going to get big city gourmet here, but you should be able to find something. Bars - Top shelf premium booze ( Stoli, Absolute, Grand Marnier, Drambuie, to name a few) and a pretty nice group of bartenders, especially at the swimup bar. Nightlife - Some shows but not great, but ok. Beach - Best we have seen in the Caribbean. Clean with waves, big enough to boogie board. Plenty of beach toys to try. Pool - Large and was like bath water around noon, a negative was after the "happy hour" lots of empty plastic cups. Too bad the slobs can't pick up after themselves. Service - Yep they don't speak much English here, but the last I checked the DR wasn't an English speaking country. The staff, however tried to help you, if they didn't understand, they tried to get someone who did both on the phone or at your table or bar. Golf at Cocotal - Good course not too hard. We played 3 times and it was good. Note: a $33.00 per person cart fee is charged. The run a shuttle bus that takes 15 minutes including speed bumps. Kid's Activites - Not much compared to Beaches ( We stayed there 3 times). In fact pretty poor. Note that there was plenty of shaded areas around the pool and beache so you could get out of the sun. Overall - To each his own but we would stay here again no problem. We were treated well beyond what we thought based on the reviews here. Good Luck

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 2 week vacation at the Paradisus, it was our first trip to Punta Cana, and our first time at a Paradisus hotel. We were blown away by the beauty of this place. We have travelled to Mexico, and other Carribean destinations and have always thought we were in wonderful places. But this place takes the grand prize. Both for the overall beauty of the place, the cleanliness, and the wonderful staff. Our room was very nice with a great view. We ate at all the resturaunts and enjoyed everyone. our least favorite was the Brazilian, and that was just because of how the food is served. You could not ask for nicer staff and even though the language issue migh seem huge its not if you make an effort. People who complain about this resort are the type of people who would complain about anything. We are already planning to go back in 2 years and cant wait

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2004

Quality resort. Gorgeous pool, beautiful water, light Euro flavor (tasteful topless), terrific staff -- it added up to the best part of our honeymoon that included a number of other, more traditional islands. To the folks complaining about heat - why do you think it's so darn cheap to go in the Summer? That isn't Caribbean Time, Mon! And fair warning from other reviewers -- do not drink water unless bottled (We slipped the bell man $10 to bring us 2 cases of bottled water when we arrived. I used bottled to brush my teeth!) and do not eat veggies/fruits that would have been rinsed without a skin protectant (e.g. oranges that you peel, good; apples that you do not, bad). This is a poor country trying to make good. Their systems are a bit behind, and you are paying less to vacation here because of this. That all being said, I have never met nicer Islanders than those in Punta Cana. Everyone was genuine and sweet and very hard-working. We thought the food was above-par for an All Inclusive, the Italian restaurant is so fun - order a Bottle of White AND a Bottle of Red just for the heck of it! We met terrific people from NJ, PA and GA; all the Americans congregate around the pool bar mid-afternoon, you can pick em out. It's a very tolerant and paid back environment - friendly to folks from all walks of life, and that makes it all the better!

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!