Our review will echo some recent reviews made of this hotel in terms of the treatment received at the hands of the management staff who, in our books, don't rate very high on the integrity scale.
First the good - This is after all a five star resort in Punta Cana. The food was good, the grounds immaculate and the service was reasonably attentive. This resort has lots of chairs both on the beach and around the pool. No reason to rush out early each morning to reserve your spot.
The bad - Our air conditioning conked out three days into our seven day stay and when we left, it still had not been repaired. There was not shortage of attempts to fix the problem but it just seemed it was beyond the capabilites of the hotel technical staff to sort this one out. Furthermore, everyday, we had to start over - call in the problem, wait for the repair team to show up, hope they figure it out and...start over the next day. On the last day, we did have access to another room until our late evening departure and we were able to see the differences between our room and this temporary one - beware - not all rooms are equal! Ours was certainly not a five star room. I think this resort is coming up on being 20 years old and it's starting to show its age.
The Ugly - The list of lies that were told to us by various levels of staff at the hotel is mind boggling. No rooms are available, its fixed - trust us, there's nothing wrong with your AC, we'll call you at five to follow-up, etc. The number of precious hours we wasted trying to get some resolution was signficant and took away from our enjoyment.
This was our seventh trip to Punta Cana and our 3rd stay at a Paradisus resort, but after this most recent experience, Melia Resorts don't deserve our business anymore. If your stay has no hiccups, then you should be OK, but if you have an issue that requires management staff to intervene, good luck!
We could not find a place in TripAdvisor to comment on the tour operators through which we booked our trip in this case Nolitours. Their representatives were simply useless in helping us to resolve our room issue. Not sure if we would have faired better with another operator - you be the judge.
An honourable mention: Christie in the VIP Lounge was attentive and sympathetic to our growing frustration and did on two occasions posed modest gestures to alleviate the situation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the unpretentious luxury of Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. An extraordinary island retreat offering a super balance of natural and man-made wonders. Open-air architecture, featuring indigenous organic materials like raw coral and exotic hardwoods, houses an impossibly sumtuous gallery of luxury Suites and an exclusive Garden Villa. All-inclusive and all encompassing, Paradisus Punta Cana Resort is an ocean front playground for all ages. Tennis, championship golf, every non-motorized water sport imaginable, a magnificent array of restaurants, our own Casino, an incredible Spa For Kids, an exquisite full-service spa and health club and personal world-class service all seamlessly unite to deliver you the relaxing, romantic, carefree, fun-filled experience of a lifetime. The Resort features 688 oversized suites including 143 Royal Service Suites and 4 Ambassador Oceanview Suites, plus a one-of-a-kind oceanfront Garden Villa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, Melia, Priceline, Splendia, Orbitz, Hotel.de, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Paradisus Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Paradisus Punta Cana Resort