“They are trying their best, but there are loads of issues to consider.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 45% off
Ranked #28 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
“They are trying their best, but there are loads of issues to consider.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The first impression of the hotel was not good at all. The reserve part of the hotel has huge water excess problems. Royal service part is better in service and has all the basics as water, but I wouldn't say it is really royal! I think this is a service of a good 5* hotel in more developed countries. I would like to mention a super caring butler in royal service Juan Alberto Jimenez Rijo for making my stay in Paradisus very comfortable and enjoyable even though the hotel has many cons. Juan is top 5 butlers that ever assisted me. He is very professional and has a good personality which is necessary in a job like his. He showed healthy interest and gave good advices even in subjects out of his duty, which helped him built a better customer relationship. He was always ready to assist, yet he wasn't all over. If you are planing to stay at Paradisus Punta Cana Royal Service I strongly recommend you to ask for Juan as your personal butler.

• Stayed March 2013
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear guest,

It sadness me to learn that we did not meet your expectation with some of our services and I would like you to accept my apologies for all the inconvenience you faced. However I believe is that wherever we are unforeseen inconvenience can occur .Nevertheless my staff always tries to fulfill all our guests’ needs. If a problem is reported, we do our best to solve it on location in the best manner for all parts.

We understand the concerns you’ve raised and can assure you that the appropriate follow-ups have been conducted with the implicated departments.

Again, your comments and suggestions allow us to improve and maintain our high standards of quality, both in service and accommodation. This is essential in our goal to exceed our Guest’s expectations.

We will appreciate if you give us an opportunity to welcome you back in Paradisus Punta Cana, if you decide to do so, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Eduardo Perera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The grounds were spectacular, as was all of the buildings. The food was way better than it had to be and the rooms are gorgeous. The service was incredible, clearly the entire staff has been meticulously trained. A special shout out for Ramirez Jimenez for going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I was taken care of.

The entire staff was genuinely friendly, the bartenders alone are worth a return trip. This property is absolutely top-notch!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New Carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My feelings about this hotel are mixed so I will list the good and the not so good..
First the good: Beach is absolutely beautiful, Grounds at the hotel are immaculate , staff are all friendly and helpful. Rooms are very clean.
Now the not so good: Food: I travelled with my husband and although neither of us were ill, I would have to say that this is probobly the worst food I have ever experienced at an all inclusive. We heard many people with the same opinion. There was so much sodium in all of the food that we felt bloated all of the time. Although there are many restaurants, choice is very limited and the food tasted alot the same from one restaurant to the next. The Japanese restaurant was probobly the only good meal of the week.
Rooms: although clean, some of the rooms, are in need of some TLC, I understand that part of the resort has already been renovated, so I guess they are getting to it.
This is a timeshare resort,,, so beware. they no longer call it timeshare, but trust me, it is a timeshare with a new name. They are friendly about it however, and they do not hassle guests too much.
My last not so good comment would be that there are too many different levels of service, the butler service, royal service, the reserve. All of course come at an extra cost, and some of the restaurants are reserved for members of the royal service only, along with a certain section of the beach. If you want drinks etc. served on the beach, you will only get this if you are a royal service customer. Which dependiing apparently on who you deal with , will cost you about an extra $500m per week. All in all if you have already booked your vacation here you will be fine. I don't think I would return to this resort, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends, simply because you can do better for less elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definately book room on ocean front, these rooms have been renovated and they are substancially nice...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Our third trip to DR, second time to Paradisus Punta Cana. Recent updates and improvements made the stay even more spectacular than before. More restaurants and bars, the restaurants have definitely improved the quality of the food and consistency of the service. Even the buffet is better, a little smaller but quality has gone way up. There is now a breakfast buffet for Royal Service guests, very good.
Our butler Anturo Marcial was great, did everything with a smile and made us feel special. Anthony Sosa, one of the Royal Service staff, also checked on us and sure everything was great.
Our favorite bar in the lobby is always fun, couldn't believe that Jorgeluis and Roberto remembered us from two years ago. They both create a great atmosphere in the bar and ensure everyone mingles and has fun, from 18 to 50 years old and beyond!

Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the rewiew... We hope that you had a nice trip back !
We are pleased to know you enjoyed the food quality and variety in most of our restaurants, the facilities and the attentive service provided by Arturo Marcia. Anthony Sosa, Jorge Luis and Roberto. All of them will be informed about your kind words expressing they were your favorite employees from the whole trip.

It would be a pleasure for us if you come back to live again the Paradisus experience.
It'll be a pleasure to welcome you back at Paradisus Punta Cana!

Warmest Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week vacation with friends at the paradisus punta Cana!! It was AMAZING!! Check in was easy and we were welcomed by such friendly staff. We were given a cold facecloth to wipe down with and a slushy drink, which I enjoyed all week.... Meals were excellent, service was great. We were always greeted with a smiley face. Both restaurants had great food with a lot of variety. Deserts were very yummy!! The beach, ohhhhh the beach, BEAUTIFUL!!! The sand is like flour. A very clean resort, always people working to keep it very immaculate. I couldn't believe this resort was ranked in the 40's out of over 100 resorts. This place should be re evaluated as I guarantee it would rank a lot better than what it's advertised at. I assure you will not regret your stay at this beautiful paradise!!! Looking forward to my next vacation at the paradisus Punta Cana :)

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to provide you such an amazing vacation, as well as for sharing it with the other travelers.

Let us state that we are completely proud of the attentive and caring staff that we have at the resort. As you experienced and is mentioned in all the reviews from other travelers, the service provided by the personnel is what they really treasure from the whole experience.

We look forward for your next vacation too.

The beach, sun & sand awaits you in Paradise!

Best Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I chose the Paradisus Punta Cana for my destination wedding and it was absolutely amazing! From check-in to check-out everything went above and beyond my wildest expectations! We brought a group of 58 people with us so it was quite large for a destination wedding.
My Planner in the US was Bianca and my Planner in Punta Cana was Miguelina. Both were extremely helpful and provided feedback and recommendations for everything I asked about.

We had never visited the resort before so I was planning everything based on pictures I was provided. I was very nervous about what I would find when we arrived and just hoped that everything would turn out ok (I figured a March wedding on a beach in 85 degree weather couldn’t be terrible?!). I was right! The pictures they provided didn’t give the resort justice, it was beyond beautiful! We (bride and groom) were upgraded to Royal Service and had a room right on the beach. Our guests were spread out all over the resort, which we were initially worried about, however this really didn’t matter since we always met at the pool which was a central point.

Miguelina was able to make us a few different dinner reservations which was impressive since we had such a large group. I was worried about the quality of food based on some of the other reviews on here but I thought it was just fine! We usually ate breakfast and lunch at Naos and dinner at one of the other restaurants. There are tons of choices at the buffets so if you don’t like something you get just go back and try something else!

Wedding day was an absolute dream. Since it didn’t begin until 5pm I was able to spend some time on the beach in the morning before getting ready. We rented out the Bridal Suite which is a room where they do your hair/make, provide snacks and allow you to get dressed. I had a bridal party of 7 and we were all very comfortable getting ready here. The photographer took pictures in the room and then we all headed out to the wedding. Our wedding sight was on the beach near the gazebo. We walked maybe 50 feet from the room to the gazebo where we lined up.

Our reception was also on the beach, right in front of the Gabi Beach restaurant/bar. We had a large dance floor, buffet dinner, DJ, everything that you would typically have at a reception. I provided them everything I wanted i.e. favors for the tables, cake topper, card basket, place cards, etc. They took care of everything and exceeded every expectation I had! It looked perfect. The food was delicious (I originally wanted a sit down dinner which they don’t do on the beach) and all of our guests were so impressed with how well everything went! I would absolutely recommend this to ANYONE thinking about a destination wedding!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We travelled to Paradisus for 10 days in April of 2012. Our group included 5 adults, 4 teenagers and 2 kids under 12. Ill break up the review into sections for an easier read. I am generally easy to please and don't tend to complain much.

Check in/out : The lines at the airport were long, however a Colombian woman steered us in the right direction and we were through customs quickly. It was a quick 30 minutes from the airport and thankfully the wait wasn't too long in the lobby. They served a delicious mango punch while we were waiting. The main lobby is typical of many in the Caribbean, high ceilings, open concept, ponds, plants and turtles. Very nice. The checkout at the end of the week was a bit slow, but overall, it was ok.

Rooms: Nicest I have ever seen in any resort. That includes Dominican 3 or 4 times, Cuba , St Lucia, Jamaica, and some very nice hotels in New York and Toronto. Huge, with marble and tile floors and counters. 2 huge beds, as well as a couch and a large overstuffed chair. The cushions came completely off the couch leaving it flat, perfect as a bed. My daughter chose that one for the week. The bathroom had 2 sections, sinks separated by a door from the tub/shower and bidet. All I can say is that I was literally shocked at how nice the room was, very impressed. The room came with a minibar stocked with pop and water, but no beer. I found out quickly that you need to call room service to bring beer, $5 us for 10 beers, cant complain. Also the room service was great. I was tired on a few nights and my son and I stayed in and ordered club sandwiches and burgers. It was nice to do that. We were on a ground floor of a low rise villa, with a large balcony. Our view was of palm trees, flowers and birds. Very relaxing to put your feet up, chill out and have a cold one outside. 2 minor drawbacks, the first was the room safe. This one had a key, not a code, so I had too put it on a string around my neck. A bit more inconvenient than remembering a code, but not that big of a deal. The second was that our room was a bit damp, despite the A/C. But when its 85 and very humid outside, I expect that. Once again, no biggie.

Grounds: Tropical, beautiful. Lots of birds, flamingos and so on. We had a large pond with an island in the middle right outside our villa. The resort was very well maintained, with a small army of groundskeepers trimming trees, chopping coconuts and so on. One crazy thing to see, once a day at about 4pm if I remember correctly, is the "bug spray team". Its a guy on a bike holding onto a gas powered "fogger". They start it up, and he rides around the grounds trailing a cloud of bug spray fog. Not sure how good that is for the environment, but it does keep the bugs at bay.That's one thing you wont see in Ontario. Just stay inside for 10 minutes....

Food: I wasn't disappointed, but then again, im easy to please. We did have a few waits for the a la carts. When you have young kids with you, they need to eat and cant wait until 830 to eat, so a couple of nights I went to the buffet with the kids. I enjoyed the variety and was never disappointed. the Japanese Tepanyaki was fantastic, best beef I have ever had anywhere. Chinese food, it was ok, not blown away. The swim up bar had a beach grill, very convenient, although it closed at 4pm, and the pool closed at about 6 or so. Usual burgers, fries, club sandwiches and so on.
The main thing about food is this: when you are home in Canada, most people tend to have the same routine. Tims bagel and coffee for breakfast, bring a sandwich for lunch, and (if you have kids), lots of chicken fingers, KD and simple quick things before dance class or hockey. When im down in a resort, I never get tired because there are so many selections. Once again, im easy to please. The service wasn't always speedy, but I think most people in our group were happy. (chocolate donuts at breakfast were great...)

Swim up bar: Great! We met so many people down there, lots of Americans, older and younger, as well as lots of Canadians. Duncan, Rea, Tina and Mark from Nova Scotia and PEI. Great people. We typically would head to the pool after lunch, and float and socialize til it closed. That was one of the highlights of the trip. The main pool has a polo net, as well as a shallow kids pool area for younger kids. It was one of the great parts of the trip.

Side trips: My son, nephew (16) and his friend, also 16, went on the dune buggy trip. It was fun, and a little scary, driving on the regular Dominican roads to get to the dirt tracks. The problem was that it needed more buggying, less stopping at tourist traps to buy local trinkets. Also it was open to anyone over 15 I believe, and they didn't ask for a drivers license. This is a recipe for disaster, especially as it entails driving on public roads. My suggestion is for parents to drive, or only let your teen drive if they have a license and some experience. We also did a free 2 hour snorkel trip from the resort, and saw tons of tropical fish. That was fun.

Gym: Not very big, but there were bikes, elipticals, free weights. Not usually too busy. I went everyday to work off those chocolate doughnuts ;)

Beach: Beautiful, white sand, hot sun. Lots of chairs available. There is a basketball court right on the beach, fun to shoot a few hoops. Not disappointed at all.

Overall: Would I go back ? Yes. I enjoyed my time there, the 10 days as opposed to 7 were great. Its a big resort, so plan on doing some walking. But beautiful grounds, great rooms, nice relaxing lobby to listen to music, have a drink in the evening. I had a great time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!