“sleep late and still find room under a straw hut,beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to 15% discount
Ranked #18 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York
“sleep late and still find room under a straw hut,beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I found the Hotel inside and outside beautiful.check in took 15 min. theres no question that the workers work very hard and deserve tips.I strongly recomend tipping.From bell boy to check in to maid and if not to drunk bartender,just kidding .I found I was put in bungalow 10,which has to be prime location.Room was beautiful .the food was good.there was never any crowds and even though you should book some of your dinner reservations in advance ,still had to book a couple and found I had to wait 20 min on a line .some rest dont require reservations.there is also room service and you could order any time .thats a bit slow in the evenings.all in all I had a great time.I would recomend this.the beach is so beautiful .I find it better than the bahamas and beach in cancun.you will find no rocks or broken shells .sand is so smooth on bavaro beach.of course there are people taking advantage of all inclusive .you do see people ordering room service with loads of bottles of beer ,or people checking out with 2 or even 3 bottles of beer in their hand . one guy came up to the lobby bar and asked for a 6 pack.theres nothing wrong with that .I only saw one man at the pool get carried by the bartender ,and the wife following him up to their room .that happens .this is such a great family place to relax and rest ,no one bothers you .they keep every thing clean and maintained

• Liked — lokk at the pool from the room and resturants . one hundred feet from the beach
  • Disliked — time flew
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
Longview, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I'm seeing all these positive reviews on this site and I'm seriously wondering if I stayed at the same place as these people posting positive reviews.

Issue #1: Only about 20% of the service staff spoke english. The list of people who couldn't communicate with us included our housekeeper, all room service staff that delivered food to our room, waiters and waitresses in the buffet and hostesses in the buffet. The list goes on... If you go be prepard to speak spanish.

Issue #2: Many of the service personal were just plain unfriendly. I think this is probably in some ways related to the afore mentioned communication gap. That being said, the last night of our stay I did encounter a particualrly rude front desk attendant. I phoned the desk at 9 p.m. to report that our remote control stopped working (you cant use the TV without a remote) and I was informed that I would have to wait until tomorrow. On the night stand next to the bed is a peice of litterature that GAURANTEES all defects in room equipment will be remedied within 15 minutes... So I pointed this out to the unfriendly attendant and a new remote was promptly delieved to my room.

Issue #3: Beach towels were difficult to impossible to get after 1p.m.

Issue #4: The food... Lets start with the buffet and the Market Grill...It was nothing to write home about and at times it was watery and picked over (gross). Aside from the food the buffet was horribly understaffed. Most of the time I would be done with my meal before the beverage I ordered arrived. Also, it was difficult to get a seat due to the high number of tables that hadn't been cleared from the previous diners. The premium resturants required 24 hours advance reservations even if tables were open if you didn't have "24 hours advance reservations" it was "impossible" to get a seat. Unfortunatly, I can't write anything about the premium resturants because I didn't make "24 hour advance reservations", therfore I had to settle for watery and picked over.

Issue #5: The water sports staff... In the sales propaganda there is a list of "free" or "included" watersports. Like kite surfing, kayaking, sailing, paddleboats, ect... Ok...so you walk down to the water sports area and ALL...I MEAN ALL the equipment is stacked up on the beach and you say..."Hey, I wanna go kite sailing" and immediately the guy starts trying to sell me a premium service...like parasailing or fishing. Which I had to say "NO" to at least 12 times before he stopped baggering me. Then he proceeds to tell me that I need to make a "24 hour advance reservation" for watersports. Remember me saying that the equipment was stacked on the beach not being used? I pointed that out, and he ddin't budge. So, i made a reservation for the next day and when I arrived the "wind was wrong for kite sailing"...so I made a reservation for the next day and when I arrived I guess the guy saw that I wasn't going to quit so they decided to allow to kite sail. See a pattern here? Lazy and unintersted, that's the best way to describe them.

I could go on, but you get the point...service was just horrible.

Ok..so what was good. The beach was NEVER crowded when we were there. Alcohol flowed very very freely, although I don't drink. The resort was very well manicured. The rooms were very nice, lots of stonework, a big bathtub and a separate shower. Flat panel TV's, free minibar in the room. The pools were very nice, lots of places to find sun or shade, whichever you prefer.

I was amazed that they'd spent so much money on the resorts construction and totally fumbled on service. I mean just failed miserably. I suppose that's why the beach was empty...

Best wishes...

TC

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed April 2008
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

I've used this website as a reference many times before travelling, and I never felt compelled to write a review until now. Consider this review a warning to anyone pondering a "vacation" at this destination. Our family of 4 vacations every year. What we seek are nice accomodations, beautiful beach, good food, and no hassles. We are not snobs and would have no problem staying at a Marriott on the beach as long as it was quiet, comfortable, and clean. When we book at what is deemed a 4-star hotel we come with high expectations. This was our first mistake. Here is my laundry list:

1) The Royal Service is a waste of money. My husband and I paid for a RS room which was identical to our children's regular room with the exception of the ocean view. Actually, our kids' room was nicer. Our room did not even have a door to the bathroom. it was a 'corral' style swing door affording no privacy whatsoever. They claim to reserve a part of the beach and pool for RS, but they never checked. Anyone could use their beach and pool. We downgraded to a regular room after seeing this, which was half the price.

2) We moved rooms 3 times. And not one of the rooms had a bed that was remotely comfortable. The first room would not cool down sufficiently. The next room had 2 double beds, which were so rickety that whenever my husband rolled over in bed it creaked so loudly that it woke me up. The next room they gave us had such a musty smell and so many flies in the room. We finally settled on a room in a building that bordered an adjacent property that must have had a working farm, and every morning at 5:45 we were woken up by roosters. The water pressure in the shower was almost non-existent. And bring your own conditioner, they only have shampoo. And bring bug spray with DEET. You'll need it every night.

3) The food. And i use that term loosely. Firstly, eat a huge breakfast. This is the only passable meal of the day. if you want a decent dinner, you need to make reservations which you cannot do until you actually arrive at the resort, at which time they have nothing available. you cannot do it by phone, you have to walk down to the clubhouse at the beach and wait in line with everyone else for 1 employee at a computer to search every restaurant for every day you are there. only to tell you you can eat at 9:30. When we finally did get a rservation (and it was only because someone was nice enough to give us theirs that they were not using) it was at the french restaurant that was awful. The steak restaurant too was bad, Chinese was worse, and the italian was basically stouffers entrees with elio's pizza. The only good restaurant we ate at was the Japanese one. My husband walked in there on our last night and tipped the hostess to let us eat at 6:45 without a reservation. The best move we made was the night we got in a cab and went to the Hard Rock Cafe and Tony Roma's 15 minutes away from the resort.

4) The beach. If you are used to Caribbean beaches where the water is turquoise glass, and you can walk in and see your feet, this is not the beach for you. The surf had crashing waves and an undertow. We went snorkling one day and couldn't imagine that a 15 minute boat ride would take us to a reef that had calm waters. Of course, it did not. And the snorkling trip they provide is mediocre, at best. The equipment is passed on from one group to another without even cleaning the snorkles! Gross. My husband is an early riser, but even he wasn't early enough because by 7:30 am all the shaded bali beds were taken. We realized that people were putting towels on chairs the night before, and thus we had to do the same in order to have chairs on the beach. This is way too much of a hassle when you're on vacation. There is no one serving drinks on the beach. Every time you want a drink (and at an all inclusive, there are plenty of drinks being served) you have to get up and go to a bar and get it yourself. The help is kind and friendly but speak very little English. Some of the most basic requests were not understood. (i.e.'where is the bathroom?')

5) The Casino is tiny. Don't come for the nightlife.

If you must come here, there is only one place on the property I would stay. The RESERVE. It is a beautiful brand new complex with decent restaurants and a beautiful pool The rooms are brand new and very chic. However, if you are beach people and want to go back to your room during the day, it's a hike. They provide jitneys that take you back and forth.
There was one thing that lingered with us. As we unzipped our bags back at home, the musty smell from our room was right back with us. Every article of clothing needed to be washed and fumigated. The memento of one HUGE disappointment in Punta Cana.

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

This hotel was excellent. The grounds were BEAUTIFUL. The beach and pool areas were great. The pool is very large and it never got crowded.
The restaurants were very good. Our favorites were the steak house and the japanese restaurant. Room service was tasty and speedy. We even had bottles of wine and beer sent to our room nitely. The bars were good but at some times we felt out of place because young kids were hanging at the bar drinking.(14 to 16 years old). Spanish is mostly spoken on the island and in the hotels. The hotel staff were friendly and always looking to help.
We actually liked the hotel so much that we purchased timeshare there..
Enjoy!!!

Greggd1@hotmail.com

• Liked — The resort and grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — Older kids (21 and 24) were looking for more nightlife besides casino
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Boston,MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Just a heads up ..... I tried to take out some $$ from the hotel's ATM.... it dispensed the pesos then immediately withdrew them back into the machine and said "transaction cancelled". So I waited and did the transaction again. When I got home --- BOTH transactions had been deducted from my bank account.

I am disputing this and my bank says it happens sometimes so they are sure the funds will be deposited. Just be ready and GRAB that money quickly before it gets sucked backed in.

Have a great vacation.... it is gorgeous !!!

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

Was there 9-19 April. Great food, great service, excellent maintenance of the grounds. Overall: AWESOME The only thing I would change is the musty odor in my room and I should have brought repellant for the bugs that would follow me in. Most of the time it didnt matter because I was too drunk to notice :-). I highly recommend the Paradisius!

Mystic, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I was at Paradisus April 11 to 19 with my 15 year old niece.

We were not on a package deal, so took a cab from the airport, very easy, $30.

Checkin was quick and easy, our room was ready on arrival. The room was spacious, with 2 double beds, 2 small sofas, patio with nice furniture. The furniture and tile is a little dated, but nothing that bothered me. The room was very clean, maid service was wonderful. We had no problems with bugs.

The beach is fabulous. It was a pretty rough several days during our stay, high waves making it difficult to get into the water. The other days were nice - enough waves for kids to play in, but not rough. They have a number of large palapas for shade. To get a spot in shade, you really needed to be out there by about 9am, but this was a very busy week, so that may not always be the case. They have nice metal/mesh chairs, not the crappy plastic ones so prevalent in all-inclusives. Although we did not use the pool, it is beautiful. Even better is the pool at the Reserve Section - gorgeous!

Dining is important to me on vacation, and overall I was very pleased with the food. We used the buffets or room service for breakfast. For lunch we used the buffet and it was okay - nothing great, but you could always find something to eat. They also have a grill next to the beachfront buffet where you could get burgers and hot dogs. We had dinner the first night at El Marino, grilled lobster was good but a little mushy. El Romantico was my favorite - very nice atmosphere, good menu and food. The second night we were there they had a classical guitarist. Vento was also really good. Very chic modern decor, some unusual menu items. We ate at Gabi twice (you pay extra for this one). I love the atmosphere here. It is in the Reserve looking out over the pool. La Dolce Vita and Albufeira were both good, but nothing spectacular. One thing I found odd in all of the restaurants - you get your entree, and that's it. Never a vegetable on your plate. If you are a big eater, order a shrimp cocktail from room service before you go to dinner, or grab some pizza in the afternoon. They also do not have appetizers, just entree and dessert.

The staff was great, very friendly and helpful. I speak decent Spanish so had no problems. For anyone who doesn't speak the language, you can still make yourself understood, so don't worry. The hotel gives you a little dictionary when you check in.

Activity staff was great - very friendly and fun.

My only criticism, and I'm more sensitive to this than most, is the loudness of the music everywhere. The beach restaurant was loud enough that you could hear it on the beach. I couldn't stay in the lobby bar at night - it was just awful there.

There were a lot of families, but we were there during school vacation week. It was great for my niece. She met up with other kids her age and hung out with them. Also a lot of middle age couples. I think it might be a little tame for younger couples looking for a lot of night life. A Teen club would have been nice too.

All in all, a great vacation, and I recommend the Paradisus.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!