“The Concept of a Butler at the Royal Service Level Is a Joke” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #26 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“The Concept of a Butler at the Royal Service Level Is a Joke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have very mixed feelings about my stay at this this beautiful resort and the ocean views provided with an upgrade to the Royal Service Level. However, the concept of a personal Butler that Paradisus sells with this Royal Service upgrade package is laughable. Our assisgned Butler, Yunior wasn't on duty the day we checked in or the day we checked out. On the other days, I had to chase him down to make my requests and then ended up having to fill said requests myself through either the Conceriege, Maid Service or Room Service. Just let me rent an ocean view room and subtract the cost of this farce "Butler Service" from my bill.

On a more positive note, if you're staying in the Royal Service area, ask for Conceriege Anthony. This guy is on top of things, is extremely personable and can get things done. Paradisus take note: Anthony is the one you need to promote to run your Butler Service.

Food: stick with the buffet. The reservation required restuarants aren't worth it. VERY mediorce food.

Would I recommend this resort: possibly, but don't bother upgrading to the Royal Service area. Aside from the rooms with ocean view, it's not worth the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so mucho for taking the time to air your recent stay in our Paradisus Punta Cana.
I’m very concern about your experience with the butler service in the Royal Service.

The butler concept is to be a person to provide a personalized service and to be available for our guest´s requirements whenever needs. It surprised me to read the behavior of Junior since we don’t really receive this kind of comments.

However I thank you for bringing that to my attention so I can follow up this observation with his department manager.

Once again, thank you so much.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and make those mixed feelings disappear through a memorable experience.

Best regards,
Eduardo Perera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
Los Angeles,ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here the last week in January. We were part of a large group of business people all staying at the resort. By luck, we were given a Royal Service guest room, but we were not part of the Royal Service. The beach area for the non-Royal Service was nice, but there was not enough chairs with shade available. Thinking we were Royal Service because of our room assignment, we wandered over to the sectioned off area for Royal Service. Many palapas and chaise lounges available. VERY COMFORTABLE LOUNGES!!! However, an employee explained very respectfully that our bracelets indicated that we were not part of Royal Service, and that we would eventually need to move. He handled a very delicate situation extremely well. My wife asked if we could upgrade, and he said that we could for $60 per day per couple. So we did. What a smart move!! Jose Reyes and Benita at the Royal Service bar were unbelievable. My wife and I like to spend the day on the beach, and these two made sure that we were well taken care of. Jose especially, he is awesome. The Royal Service beach amenities are worth the price alone, but there are other benefits to Royal Service that make the upgrade well worthwhile. The food is constantly being complained about on this site, but our opinion is that is more about people's expectations than the actual quality. Let's call it what it is. This is an all inclusive resort, with mass produced food available all day long. If you are expecting 5 star food, you will be disappointed. It's like cruise line food. We were happy with it, but our expectations were not high. The specialty restaurants at night were very good, we had no complaints at all. Overall, the food was fine, and exactly as we expected. The grounds were great, but it is a hike to get around. The wait staff in the restaurants are not overly friendly, and it can be a little slow, but again it is an all-inclusive with mass produced food. Certainly, upgrading to Royal Service made a huge difference in our experience. Seek out Jose in Royal Service, and he will make your stay great. Benita in the Royal Service bar is also extremely nice and attentive, and the two of them is what we will remember from our week in DR. We didnt really leave the resort, except to play golf at the Nicklaus course in Cap Cana, which is "Pebble Beach" beautiful, and a great golf course. We recommend this resort, especially if you upgrade to Royal Service...... but if you are going for 5 star food and Four Seasons overall service, you will be disappointed,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m glad to learn that Jose and Benita helped so much to make your experience memorable, as well as reading that you really enjoyed the facilities of the Royal Service.

We will be very honor to hos you back in our Paradisus Punta Cana sooner than later, please contact us for any require you may have.
Once again, thank you.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here recently for a destination wedding. We spent 4 nights/3 days at the resort. Our stay was arranged via the travel agent chosen by the couple and it included transfers to and from the airport. We got the airfare separately.

Before we came out to Punta Cana, we read the reviews here on Trip Advisor to get some tips and insights for Paradisus. It was quite confusing because we found both raving and discouraging reviews. After reading most of the recent reviews, we didn't really know what to expect. We just knew that it was a 50/50 chance of our trip going great or being awful.

After having our own personal experience at Paradisus, I would say that both my boyfriend and I were very happy with our stay! I could understand how the bad reviews came about but for us, I believe we got the value of what we paid for: we had an awesome Junior Suite with a private garden (although, we didn't get to enjoy our private garden much because we preferred to hang out by the beach or the pool), huge bed, mini fridge with water, sodas, and beer, bathroom with 2 shower heads, pool with a swim-up pool bar, white sand, great beach view, all-you-can-eat, and most importantly, all-you-can-drink!!!

And the wedding was one of the best weddings I've gone to...Paradisus did a great job with the ceremony and reception! Everyone was having a great time the whole long weekend!

Yeah, the food was not the greatest but I didn't view Punta Cana to be a foodie destination. Yeah, service may be slow and a bit confused at times, but the staff really means well. They do get to it eventually and do aim to please you.

While in Punta Cana, since it is an all-inclusive resort, the only expenses we had were: $10 Tourist Card (per person) paid at the airport upon arrival and the tips given or left for housekeeping, bartenders, and restaurant wait staff. We made sure we had at least minimum of $40-50 worth of $1 bills for tipping.

Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend this resort as a vacation destination.

Room Tip: We were in Building 31 which was approximately a 2-minute walk to the beach and 5-minute walk to Gab...
Der guest,

Thank you so much for your review, it means a lot to us knowing that you and your boyfriend were really happy with our services and facilities here at Paradisus Punta Cana. As a company oriented service the opinion of our guest is really important to us.
Thank you for your recommendation, please give us the honor of hosting you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had never done an all inclusive before, although I've been on many cruises. One of my friends and I decided to go on vacation for a week to just get away. I was getting a little bit nervous from some of the reviews that were on here, but my expectations were blown away! We went with the Royal Service option which was really worth it. You get your privately stocked bar in your room, priority reservations to many of the restaurants, have your own private restaurant and bar, private pool and pool bar, and private beach area. If you can do the Royal Service, I highly recommend it!

TIP: I understand you are at an all inclusive, but tips go a LONG way. The bartenders and waiters work 12 days in a row with 3 days off to leave and see family (many of whom live 2 hours away). They make $20 per day and really survive on tips. On a side note, the landscapers (who trim and cut with machetes) only make $200 per month! If you can afford to take a trip here, you have the couple extra bucks to help these people out and TIP!!! You don't need to tip much, as just a few bucks will make them so grateful. Plus, tipping gets you faster service anywhere!

1) Check In - Many complaints were up regarding the long check in process. We arrived at the airport. Had our bags taken by one of the workers and we were taken around the line and through a separate security line. We were brought to the counter for our transport and were on our way to the resort within about 20 minutes arriving at the resort within 1 hour of getting off our flight. This was quite different from many others who were waiting in long lines at the airport. Upon arriving at the resort, we were taken to check in which was easy as can be. Offered us drinks and snacks. Check in took a total of maybe 10 minutes. They explained what the resort had to offer and reservations for restaurants, room service, etc. We met our "butler", Rondon, who took us on a 15 minute tour of the Royal Service area. He was absolutely phenomenal to us throughout our stay. We did not use him much, but he was on top of everything we might need. Whenever he saw us walking around he made an effort to talk to us. Get to know your hosts, butlers, waiters! You'll learn a lot about how these workers live on the outside. You'll appreciate what you have much more. Thanks, Rondon!

2) Food/Service - If you are expecting a 5 star NYC restaurant, then you are going to the wrong place. The food is still very good, but to go to a third world country (resort or not) and expect 5 star dining is just stupid. Lots of seafood (which I love). We ate at Gabi Beach a few times, went to Mole which was delicious, the Japanese restaurant which was good food and a lot of fun with other guests at our table, and Aqua which was also very tasty. Breakfast was great although I have one warning. In the DR, they do not refrigerate the eggs so beware if you eat eggs you may have some GI issues. Try the different fruits because they are much better than you get anywhere in the states. There is also a Dominican Night at Gabi Beach on Wednesdays where you can get some truly Dominican food. The service was solid. Throughout meals, we constantly had waiters/waitresses coming to us to refill drinks and ask if we needed anything else. Sometimes I couldn't drink fast enough before they came back! There was only one meal at Gabi Beach when we waited for a long time for food and drink. If you complain about the food, leave the resort and take a peek at what is around you.

3) Room Service - Speedy and quick. Tip a few bucks when you order. The workers will be exceedingly grateful and you may get a little quicker service as well. Good selections and nice and easy. Free with Royal Service. Did this many times for snacks and coffee.

4) Bars - All I have to say is Juan. Juan was our bartender at the main pool for almost the entirety of our stay. He was right on top of whatever we needed. Extremely friendly and talkative. We tipped him small to start the week and bigger at the end of the week. Just be friendly with the staff and they will do whatever you need. Juan was right to our service whenever we came to the bar, and he was the same for many others at the bar with us. There were some complainers and whiners at the bar, and those got slower service. I don't blame the workers for that though! You're on vacation. Enjoy yourself! We also had a great time with the workers at the Lobby Bar. Every bartender there enjoyed the vacationers' company. They had very fast service all the time. I never waited more than about 2 minutes for a drink, despite some very busy bars. Same thing with Gabi Beach bar. Drink selection is wonderful. You can get pretty much anything you want. If you have something they don't know, tell them how to make it and it'll happen! Just fantastic. Thanks Juan!!!

5) Beach/Pool/Resort Grounds - Beach is absolutely beautiful. Lots of spots to sit - chairs, cabanas, hammocks, beds, etc. And if you get a little too much sun, they have lots of shaded areas. The water is crystal clear, although a fair current. Could probably snorkel or dive from shore on better days but be careful. The pools are pristine and the workers clean the pools by hand. Just fantastic, and good fun. Great place to meet other people. The resort grounds are gorgeous. Like I said, the landscapers do everything by hand. Appreciate it! People complain about the size of the resort. WRONG! Everything is within walking distance. You can pretty much walk everywhere within 5 minutes. You wait longer for the trams (which are really only needed for handicapped people) than walking. If you don't walk this place then you are just lazy.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. The service was top notch and speedy. The bartenders and servers were fantastic. We met a lot of other friends while there from all over. Be social and you may leave with some new wonderful friends. And most of all, appreciate what you have and be mindful of how these people live outside the resort. But BE OPTIMISTIC AND POSITIVE. If you go into a vacation expecting a bad time, you'll get it. Make the most of what you have and you'll have the best time in the world like we did!

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for your detailed, encouraging and positive review to all the trip advisor´s travelers.
I really appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us about all the facilities you enjoyed here, as well as for trusting your vacations to us regardless your nervousness, We are very glad to learn that we exceed your expectations !
Once again, thank you so much for your recommendations and hopefully we will be welcoming you sooner than later.

Warmest Regards,

General Manager.
Plainfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Paradisus in the Domincan Rebulbic is a beautiful and friendly place. There are two individuals I truly want to thank for the hospitality and generosity, Ramon Fulgo and Luis Fuldruto, the pool bartenders. These two individuals made us feel at home. We are greeted everyday with a hug and a wonderful drink. They gave my wife and I the best service I have ever had. The made our trip. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgetown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed at the Paradisus from Feb 1/13 to Feb 7th/13 & had a great time.
Staff were great food was good beach was great & room was excellent.
Dhoralix Polonco a front desk staff was great.

I would ask for a room near the beach, then your close to everything.

It is a big resort so to get aroung you have to take trams. That was the only negative having to wait for them but.... your on holidays so relax & hace a great time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us.
It is very satisfying for the Paradisus family learning that we manage to provide you a great time in our resort. Thank you so the compliments in our staff, especially to Dhoralix.
I hope to welcome you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in Feb. 2013, and would never, ever come back. I've never been at a resort where the staff was more lazy or rude. They disregarded the most simple requests, such as a coffee in a restaurant (actual had to ask 4 times at the Gabi by the beach restaurant!!), not to mention that they had our room wrong about 3 times. The staff had an attitude about everything and most of them were not helpful at all. They would say that something will get done, but it was a lie, or they would show up hours later. The rooms are very dirty, they just clean the most obvious spots. The whole resort is not well lit at all, and there are no signs, so we were getting lost most of the time. Would never, ever go here again. I find that people and resorts in Cuba are so much better, Cubans are always smiling and have a friendly attitude. Please don't waste your money on this crappy resort and crappy attitude from the staff, they don't deserve your money!!

• Stayed February 2013
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Allow me to start this reply by offering you my most sincere apology for the incidents referred that should have never happened.

I´m very surprise and concern about your comments regarding the attitude of our staff since all our customers agree otherwise, that our staff is always helpful, active and motivated. However, it is a pity you did not bring that to our attention while you were still at the resort as I am sure I would have been able to rectify any situation you could have find during your stay.

I am really sorry, and I will like to ask you for an opportunity. If you ever decide to return to our resort please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order to take to take personal care and make sure you will enjoy a wonderful stay with us.

Eduardo Perera

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!