“Not 5-Star but not terrible.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #27 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not 5-Star but not terrible.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We just got back from 7 nights at Paradisus Punta Cana. First couple of days were rocky but once we recalibrated expectations we enjoyed ourselves. In short, beautiful beaches, lovely grounds, good sized rooms, but service not what you would expect from an upscale resort. Once we accepted this fact, we were able to relax and enjoy our time but we’re not likely to go back.
Upon check-in we were told that $500/rm would be charged to our credit card and unspent portions credited back at the end of our stay. We weren’t aware of this and it seemed excessive. I believe it’s a tactic to encourage add’l spending at the casino, the spa, water activities, or bottles of wine/champagne which are an upcharge. We were also assigned to a staff member who was to take us to breakfast and show us the resort the next day. Fortunately, we got a heads up from someone and canceled. This was going to be a 2-3 hour sales spiel on the benefits of Club Melia. Once we told him we weren’t interested, we parted ways without a tour or breakfast but happy to make that trade. Occasionally, we’d see him around the resort and be reminded that we ‘still need to talk’. It’s just an unnecessary hassle while on vacation. Other guests we met were very upset at getting suckered into this.
The grounds and buildings are very beautiful and well kept. The beach is wonderful with plenty of chairs and huts to provide shade. The water is lovely but the surf is strong and there’s a constant breeze making snorkeling and swimming difficult. Drinks & breakfasts were good. Bartenders for the most part were great. Staff is friendly though not attentive. The shows at night were entertaining.
One of the biggest issues we had is that Paradisus operates on a caste system. There are the Royal Service & The Reserve guests and then there’s everyone else. Portions of the beach, certain restaurants and pools are off-limits to general guests with signs positioned and guards stationed to constantly remind you of this.
We enjoyed the breakfasts. Good selection of fruit, juices, pastries, and made to order eggs. The staff is very efficient at clearing finished plates but not so good at refilling coffee. The daily lunch buffets were very mediocre. It was often difficult to get a drink order successfully completed. Several times someone took our order but never returned with drinks. Dinner was a daily hassle. We were told reservations were only needed at Bana and couldn’t be made at The Grill, Mole, or Aqua. One night we showed up at The Grille as soon as it opened(6:30) only to be told, along with many other guests, that the wait was an 1-1/2 hours because we didn’t have reservations. When pressed on this, the hostess finally admitted that only Royal Service & Reserve guests could make reservations. Even though half the tables were empty because the reservations were not for another hour they could not accommodate us. Bana(Japanese) & Palazzo(Romantico) restaurants were very nice. Aqua was forgettable and eating at Naos(buffet) was a last resort. The dinner dress code was emphasized at check-in but almost never enforced. If you’re a vegan/vegetarian, then the dinner menu can be a challenge.
Overall, service was not up to par. 5 of the 7 nights our mini-bar was not restocked with beer. On two occasions we called to remedy this and we’re told they would send someone right away. 3 phone calls later we were still waiting. Fyi, the stocked mini-bar consists of coke, diet-coke, sprite, water & (2) cans of beer so it wasn’t worth the aggravation of multiple calls. FYI, Presidente is the only beer served in the resort. Thankfully, it’s a drinkable pilsner. Maid service can occur anywhere from 9 am to 6 pm. We never did figure out the schedule. The beds were made daily but the sheets were never changed for the duration of our stay. Overall, the experience was just okay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It worries me a lot to know all the inconvenience that you had during your vacation. We pay much attention to the opinions of our clients because you are our reason for being, that´s why we work hard to try to exceed your expectation. it is ashamed to know that we did not meet yours; I wish I had the opportunity to welcome you once again and change the perspective of the negative points mentioned.

Do not hesitate in contact me if you will like to discuss in more detailed any aspect of your stay.

Warmest Regards from Punta Cana,

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Paradisus Punta Cana was for the nost part a very satisfying experience. I enjoyed the accommodations, the services (as opposed to the service), the food (some aspects), the YHI spa, the beaches, the Ocean and the entertainment. The accommodations were a good value for the price and quite comfortable and clean. The services were typical for that level of hotel and unfortunately the service is also typical. If you are not staying in The Reserve or are not part of the Royal Service, you are not likely to receive the kind of service we are used to to in most other parts of the world. The seven different eateries offered a reasonable choice and variety of foods of different types but depending on what your own experience might be, the food was good not great. Personally I wouls have preferred the opportunity to sample more Caribean style food and was rather surprised to find very little of that available. The spa for the most part was nice, I had 4 massages, 3 very good based on the abilities of Vittoria who was very experienced and capable. The other was disastrous in as much as the other masseuse did not possess the same level of competence not to mention the constant noise from both sides, one from a treatment involving paper that was very noisy upon removal and on the other side construction trucks and engine sounds that were the furthest thing from serene. The beaches were nice, some washed up algue lying around but the sand was soft and white, the chairs, beds and towels were all comforting and well maintained. At Bavaro, the Atlantic Ocean meets the Caribean Ocean and as a result creates a strong and powerful clash and current. So the waves are strong and powerful and produce a vigorous opportunity for ocean fun. Having said all of this, I generally enjoyed my stay at the Paradisus. However what would make me want to return is the entertainment staff. The hard working young performers/animators/event coordinators that spend 12 to 14 hours a day making all the guests feel welcome and engaged in a variety of activities designed to stimulate and motivate participation. These people transformed what would have been a pleasant experience to a memorable one. Their personalities and relentless commitment to helping guests enjoy themselves made all the difference in the world to me and my complete experience. They are the reason I will return to the Paradisus Punta Cana. Thanks to: Pepe (Andres), Cesar, Edrey, Romeo, Francisco, Jonathan, Lisa, Julio, just to name a few. When I think of the Paradisus or Punta Cana, I think of you. Thank you my friends. Muchas Gracias.

Room Tip: The Reserve or as close to beach as you can. Avoid being close the the main transit roads as you wil...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Peter,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as the destination for your holiday. Also, thank you for writing such nice comments about our facility on Trip Advisor. It is a pleasure for me and my team to know that you enjoyed them.
I am happy to know that you loved our spa treatments and took advantage of some papmering during this special time.

Again, thank you for taking your time to comment about Paradisus Punta Cana, your comments are very well appreciated by the whole team.

Warmest Regards,

Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana during the first week of December with three other couples, all of us celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I was a little apprehensive about visiting the Dominican Republic because of comments I had heard from others. We all ended up having a wonderful time and enjoying the resort and all it had to offer! Our accomodations were very nice and the grounds were beautiful and well kept (in spite of some times of rain). There were so many restaurants and bars to choose from, and for the most part the food and drinks were delicious. I think the resort staff really helped to make our stay so enjoyable--the dance classes and water aerobics were some of our favorite activities. And the nightly shows were absolutely fantastic--showcasing some amazing talent! Then, after the shows, the resort staff would be out on the dance floor encouraging us to practice the dances we had learned earlier in the day. There was Cesar and Francesco, who were lots of fun and had tons of energy. Our favorite, though, was Romeo, who made us feel like we were family and was so warm and welcoming. Also, most of the bartenders were very attentive and made our times at the bars a lot of fun with there special talents. I can't forget Hendrix at checkin and Miguel who helped to make our stay very comfortable.

There are a couple of things that could be improved. The housekeeping was not consistent--sometimes there were not enough towels, other times, coffee was not replenished--but those were just little things. Another thing is that many of the servers at the restaurants as well as the housekeepers understood very little English, but they acted as though they did. It would have been better if they just said they did not understand our requests.

We did not stay in the upgraded "Reserve" area but our studio and one-bedroom units were just fine and very nicely located near the beach, pool, and most of the restaurants. It was easy and convenient to hop on a tram to go to the lobby area for the shows, nightly dancing, casino, lobby bar, and a couple of the restaurants.

I highly recommend this resort--it seemed to be in a very good area with a beautiful, welcoming lobby area and very inviting grounds.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
We really appreciate your comments about our resort.

I have taken very seriously your observations to make sure those situations do not occur in future stays.
We will be more than happy to welcome you in our Paradisus in the future.

kindest regards,
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Your resort is clean and beautiful and most of the employees are nice.

However, for three of the six nights we did not have hot water. There was ONE place to eat breakfast AND lunch for SIX days. I understand “off season” but that is ridiculous. We have been home for three days and I still have diarrhea. (Other guests said the same—a couple from Calgary, Canada complained and they were sent to eat at a restaurant at the Reserve. They were told it was more sanitary. Really???????????) Yes, it is true that some of the food from the night before would be on the buffet the next day. For example fruit cups would be dark and full of liquid. Yuck. I read that on TripAdvisor before we left and felt it was surely not true.
Non-motorized sports might be included but my husband was told that he would have to go back to the room and get $20 for a deposit before he could use a boogie board. What is the bracelet for? The coupons were worthless. We have been to other all inclusives (Sandals/Beaches.) And yes, Paradisus was cheaper but some of that is because the Dominican is much less expensive than Turks and Caicos, Grand Bahama, etc. We decided to try something different. It was a mistake. We will not be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Medina, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I just recently returned from our honeymoon at the Paradisus Punta Cana and it was the most amazing trip I have been on. The beaches were the prettiest that I have seen, the weather was nice, the grounds were well kept, and the staff would go above and beyond to satisfy your needs (especially Matiel Reyes and Junior Ubiera). We well definitely return in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Ross,

Thank you for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana to celebrate your honeymoon! It gives me a great satisfaction to know that you have trusted in our services to this important celebration, and it gives me even more satisfaction to read that we exceed your expectations! I will definitely share your review with Junior & Matiel.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us in tripadvisor, I really appreciate it.

We hope t welcome you back for your first anniversary if not before!
We look forward to offer you another wonderful celebration!

Best regards from Paradisus Punta Cana,

Eduardo Perera Castro
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Surprised is the only word I can find to explain how we felt about reading some of the negative reviews on Paradisus Punta Cana .

This was our second visit to Paradisus Punta Cana , from December 10 to 17th, we left feeling like we had spent 7 days in paradise.

Paradisus Punta Cana met all of our expectations, beach “breathtaking” we sat from 7 am to 4 pm admiring the white sand, blue sky and ocean. Our room, was modern and very pleasant, however, we do not spend much time in the room.

Paradisus Punta Cana spoils you with a variety of restaurants with no limit of how often you can go to the a la carte. The atmosphere and food in the restaurant are excellent. With the varied choices of restaurant, I can’t imagine anyone complaining about not finding what they are looking for. If your portions are too small for your appetite at the fine dining restaurant “order more” . The staff will do everything they can to make your vacation special. Hats off to the management of this hotel, for empowering your employees to ensure the travellers have a perfect vacation. Buffet is not as extravagant has some other hotels, not surprising since you have such a large choice of a la carte restaurants that you can visit without restrictions.

The grounds on at Paradisus Punta Cana manicured “constantly” with some of the most pleasant gardeners that always have a smile and a greeting for you. This hotel has maintained the natural tropical feel by integrating the buildings inside the landscape. You can have beautiful walks through the many paths and enjoy the variety of plants and manicured grounds. We were surprised by the number of staff working at this property constantly ensure that it is maintained and issues addressed.

We never once got bothered by any timeshare staff. If you do just say NO

What we loved;

Juan Nathanael Perez, thank you for going all out for us
Juan at the beach, you were the best we never were without drinks
Arturo, thank you so much you also made our vacation special you were always there for us
The beach; breathtaking
Food; the a la carte, food selection and all the staff, thank you
Service, best we have had in our 14 years of going to Punta Cana 2 twice per year

Improvements;
Could have another bar on the beach
A barbecue at the beach is always a favorite

Again thank to all staff for making our vacation great, we will see you next year for even longer

Room Tip: if you can experience the Royal club its will not be wasted
Dear Line,

I am glad to read about your experience with us at Paradisus Punta Cana, Thank you for sharing it.
I appreciate your advices regarding the areas of improvements, we have another bar on the Reserve Beach and I hope you can come back for the third time and enjoy it.
We look forward to offer you another wonderful celebration!
Once again, thank you so much

Kindest regards from Paradisus Punta Cana,

Milwaukie, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed for seven nights as a tenth anniversary trip. We had a lovely time - the staff was attentive, eager to help and very warm and friendly. We spent most of our time at the beach in the Reserve area and at the Reserve pool. Our room was stunning and well appointed. We purchased a package through Costco and felt that the value was excellent. We upgraded to a room in the Reserve Area and were completely and utterly satisfied. We received amazing service from Club Melia Hostess Cesi Pagan, who treated us to an amazing meal at Passion at their sister resort, Paradisus Palma Real. It was honestly one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Cesi was beyond helpful and friendly. She even provided a cell phone for use while in the resort to call for car service or whatever we needed. We highly recommend working with Cesi if you have the opportunity!

Other reviewers were dissatisfied with the food offerings - we were most impressed with Martin Berasategui's restaurants, Passion (at Palma Real) and Fuego (at Punta Cana). These cost extra but were worth every penny. The "all inclusive" is truly amazing, with a great array of included restaurants to choose from. The resort campus is enormous but the little carts and buses run frequently and hey, we were on vacation so weren't worried about waiting a few minutes if we really "needed" a ride. The grounds were so beautiful, we usually ended up walking and marveling at the lovely fauna.

The spa was a really nice treat as well. We were given a couples' massage which was really amazing and a spa mani/pedi, which was in one of the poolside cabanas

Yes, the concierge attempted to sell guests their time share package but they were completely up front and honest about what they were doing. There were no "high pressure sales".

I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to relax and sun themselves and be well cared for by thoughtful and generous staff. We can't wait to return and bring our children! Thank you!!

Room Tip: Totally worthwhile to upgrade to the Reserve area. The regular rooms are fine . . . the Reserve room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!