“Fantastic Vacation All Around” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Northville, Michigan
“Fantastic Vacation All Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned December 5th from a beautiful week at Paradisus Punta Cana. We traveled with my Mom to celebrate her 83rd birthday. I do not understand people who say the food or service was not up to par because we found it all to be exceptional!! I cannot say enough about the service we received from Nathanael Perez, the Guest Services Manager. He greeted us during our check in and became our best friend for the week! He made all of our dinner reservations, sent fruit plates and champagne to our rooms, arranged for a birthday celebration for my Mom at our first dinner and seemed to find us everyday to see how our trip was going. He is the best!!! We were also very impressed that Pablo Cogolludo, the Director, was visable every day and talking to guests. He sought us out in a restaurant one evening to welcome us! We've never experienced management being so involved with guests at other resorts.

Rooms - rooms are very modern and large. We had a corner unit with a jacuzzi on the balcony. Each room has a safe to keep valuables. TV - broad range of channels to choose from and good reception. Huge shower with shower heads at both ends. Large closet with slippers and robes. Quite a range of lighting options within each room.

Pool - fabulous, huge pool with lush greenery surrounding it. Chairs are not just lined up in rows - there are clusters so you're not on top of others. Families can have areas to themselves. There are many entrances - some have steps, a couple are sloped entrances...very nice. The swim up bar is fun - Juan made great drinks for us everyday! The music there is nice too!

Restaurants - we found all to be good. They are in the process of changing over some restaurants so some had new signs up but the paperwork we received showed both old/new names which was helpful. We were hungry upon arrival and went to Naos which had an afternoon snack menu of sandwiches, burgers and pizza. The pizzas were quite generous and tasty. We typically went to Gabi Beach for breakfast because we enjoyed the view of the beach. We found service (coffee) to be better if we sat on the first level. Most lunches we went to Naos where they not only had the regular buffet offerings but also hamburgers and pizza. We enjoyed every dinner, especially The Grill (steakhouse) , Qi (Chinese) and Palazzo (Italian). Gabriel de la Rosa provided outstanding service at Qi and we also saw him at Naos at lunch. The house wines were better than we've had at other resorts and the wine list included some very good wines at reasonable prices.

Entertainment - music in the lobby each evening was very good. Roberto at the North Avenue bar was fun. Francis from the entertainment group always made sure people were having fun and would dance with us. The evening shows are great. The entertainers are very talented - we saw the Michael Jackson show, the circus and Boogey Nights.

Service - we found the service to be outstanding. We had an A/C issue in my Mom's room one day. We called for service - they were there in less than 5 minutes and corrected the problem instantly. She immediately received a phone call to ensure that everything was fixed. Anytime I called for something (ice, washcloths) they arrived in just a couple of minutes. Employees always responded "my pleasure". I see complaints about the sales pitch - we didn't find it overly intrusive. The guys that try to get you to listen to the sales pitch are also guest services so they help in many other ways. Marino Mosquea was very helpful upon our arrival and greeted us every day and asked if he could help us with anything. He personally escorted me up front on our 2nd day and assisted me in taking care of business (return transfers to airport and resort vouchers) and then returned me to the beach. When he asked if we would be interested in the club membership, we said we'd think about it. Midway through out vacation, we did listen to the sales pitch which is a nice offer. Ultimately, we did not sign up and did not feel pressure and everyone continued to be very friendly and helpful.

In summary- the grounds, pool, beach, food & service are hard to beat. I would definitely recommend this resort. The only improvement I could see is if service traffic could be rerouted away from the path that people walk on and the tram travels on but I'm not sure that is possible. Also the walkway is like stone so I recommend flat shoes for easier walking on that surface. They are doing some renovations which will only make the resort a better place to enjoy paradise!

Room Tip: Bldg 21 was perfect - close to beach, pool and restaurants as well as catching the tram to go up fro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Laura,

As a General Manager is a real pleasure reading such a comment!

Exceeding expectations of our guest and offer memorable experiences is our commitment and I am proud to learn that we have achieved our goal.

I greatly appreciate your recognition to the effort and dedication demonstrated by Mr. Nathanael Perez and Mr. Pablo Cogolludo, we work hard as a team and united by a single purpose, the total satisfaction of our guests.

Laura, once more thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the opportunity to host you again at Paradisus Punta Cana, your second home.

Eduardo Perera Castro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,018)
Framingham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was our third visit to a Paradisus in the DR and our second to the Paradisus Punta Cana. We enjoyed our last visit in 2009 so much that we actually rescheduled our flight this year when we were notified that the resort would be closed for renovations during our original planned stay. We were offered alternate accommodations at the Paradisus Palma Real but much preferred this resort.

I read the complaints from this summer with interest. The Paradisus PC underwent a management change this year and has been in a state of flux. The new management appears to be cutting some corners. We noted that the full-sized and well-stocked refrigerators in the rooms have been replaced with mini-fridges. That's a drag, but not really a big deal if you're on the all-inclusive plan, as most guests are. Why would you want to cook in your room when you have 10 restaurants on property?

We stayed in the Reserve section, which I highly recommend. It has its own very large pool and a nice bar and restaurant. The walk to the beach is about five minutes longer than it is for guests in the general hotel area, but the crowds are smaller and the accommodations more elegant. The Reserve pool is amazingly large, and there's also a well-equipped kids area.

The Paradisus PC grounds are exceptional. Landscaping such a large facility can't be easy or cheap, but the staff manages to make it work. Walking the paths to the beach is like strolling through a tropical garden.

We had a couple of horrible experiences this trip, but on the whole we were again quite pleased with our two-week stay. On the negative side, the laid-back island culture can be frustrating at times. Reservations don't matter for much, and the staff can overlook details that aggravate guests who are accustomed to European-like efficiency. If you can take these shortcomings in stride, however, you can have a terrific time. Patience is a virtue.

The best feature of the Paradisus PC is the staff. The people are unceasingly friendly and accommodating. Nearly every staff member greets guest with a cheery "Ola!" and we were constantly amazed at the willingness of wait staff to go out of their way to make our meals special. Our beach waiter, Maiker Ramirez, was so exceptional during our last stay that we returned in part just to see him again. Fortunately, he's still employed there. If you can grab some sand in the Reserve section on the beach, ask for Maiker. He will treat you like royalty, and he's a hoot to talk to.

Best restaurants, in our experience: The Grille, Vento and the Japanese Sakura. Worst was Aqua. The names are all changing, so our recommendations may be out of date. The two Gabi buffet restaurants are mediocre but reliable if you're in a hurry.

The resort is technically a no-tipping deal, and a service charge is added to your bill when you check out. Our experience has been that tips enhance the experience a good deal, however. You don't need to be extravagant; bring a wad of $5 and $1 bills with you and distribute them liberally. A $10 tip to the bartender will keep your drinks heavy for at least a couple of days, and $5 to the waiter at dinner will give you exceptional service. We noticed a dramatic improvement in chambermaid service after we started leaving 100 pesos (about $2.50) as a tip every day.

Don't shop at the resort store unless you really need to. The town of Bavaro is just outside the gates, and you can find nearly anything you need there at about one-third the price. There's a supermercado on Avenue Espana - about a 20-minute walk - that's a particularly good deal. Bavaro also has several good cigar shops. Don't buy cigars from the guys who sell them on the beach. They're mostly crap. There are cigar stores a couple of blocks from the front gates where you can watch them hand-rolling the product. At least you know what you're buying.

Also, don't exchange money at the usurous money-changing booths. You're better off using your debit card in the Banco Popular machine in the lobby. The exchange rates are much better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and for your usual visit.

I also want to thank you for being so understanding with the topics mentioned and for the observations you made us, which are taken with the utmost importance since it is the only way that we can achieve the constant improvement that we strive for.

I feel proud for your comments regarding Maiker Ramirez, he is a hard worker and we are happy to have him as a part of our staff!

We will be looking forward to welcome you for the fourth time at this, his home away from home.

Warm greetings,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Paradisus was absolutely breathtaking .. Literally took my breath away as we jumped out of our bus. They couldnt of done a better job with decor, and foliage. Massive resort! Needed little golf buggies to get around.. Luckily our room was close to the pool, beach and the gabi beach restarount. The beach was amazing with giant beds to lay on! I guess my only complaint would be that our first night there our room was not ready so we packed our things with the other couple we came with.. Went out for supper, had an amazing time dancing meeting Roberto ( lobby bar) and Julio nice (dancer/ entertainer) only to find out their room got broken into. Three iPhones , 900$, and my jewelry. Nothing they could do about it. We didn't let it ruin our stay, still had a lovely time! Another thing we noticed about our room was the sliding door would not lock.. Kinda suspicious, notified front desk, again they didn't do much.. So I'd suggest getting a room not on main level.:)

• Stayed November 2012
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments about the beauty of our premises and beaches.
Although it makes me happy to know that you enjoy your stay with us I’m very worry to know the inconvenience that you had during your vacation in the hotel as we are really concern about the security of our guests.

We will make sure that all the balcony looks works properly in order to make sure our guests security are not broken.

For us it is great value to receive our guest’s observations for it helps us maintain and improve the quality service that we provide on current and future stays.

Warmest regards from Paradisus Punta Cana,

nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've been here a few times with my family for Thanksgiving. This time we sprung for the suites... Amazing! I did not know you can get this type of luxury and detail in a Caribbean resort. I've been traveling to the Caribbean for 30+ years and I'm used to nice, clean hotels. I know never to expect Vegas style accommodations, but now, that has changed. These rooms we got were amazing. The pricing is very competitive too! The food as always is very good. The fruit selection at breakfast is great. The dinner offerings are very good. The staff, as with most of DR, is fantastic... genuinely nice people. Tipping people around the resort goes a long way. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Punta Cana as the place to spend thanksgiving with your family.

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that in our effort to bring you a memorable stay, we have filled your expectations with our service and accommodations.

We are hoping to welcome you again in a near future!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Great hotel, A special thanks for Natanael who is the guy who can help you if you are a problem,
I recommend this hotel !
One week is too short so the best is to stay at least 2 weeks,
The manager of the Service Royal (Miledy) and his assistant (Enrique) make your stay as a dream,
And the last but not least, Juan (butler) is at your service !!!
GREEEEEEAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The good: the rooms were large and beautiful. We loved the personal cabanas outside each room, and the resort had a great beach with lots of huts and chairs.
The bad: the service was terrible. It was impossible to get a cup of coffee in the mornings - we had to spend about 10 minutes each morning flagging the coffee guy down, and it almost seemed like he purposely avoided us. The food was only okay, ranging to bad: the buffet restaurant openly served last night's leftovers for breakfast and lunch, nothing was seasoned properly, and the only restaurant that was genuinely "good" was the steakhouse.
The worst: the constant harassment by people trying to sell you outings and vacation packages. When we got to the resort, we were not allowed to check into the room without first talking to a "personal concierge" who was really just a salesman trying to sell us some sort of vacation package. We rejected his offer of a "free breakfast and tour of the resort" (um, the resort is all-inclusive, why do we need your "free" breakfast at the buffet when its already free?), but then had to avoid him every day from then on because he was always in the buffet restaurant trying to talk to us. There are also salesmen stationed outside the main beach building trying to sell you day trips - every time we had to use the bathroom, get a drink, or have breakfast or lunch we were accosted. It made for a very stressful time, and totally negated the beauty and overall luxury of the resort.
Bottom line: don't allow solicitation on the resort premises and improve the service and this hotel would go a long way towards getting 5 stars. As is, not worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Pablo C, Resident Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Katie,

Thank you for sharing your observations and compliments on our rooms and resort, I appreciate it. Your feedback will help us to continue working in our service quality.
As you probably noticed in your visit, we are in the process of a lot of changes in the resort and most of them are relied it to our gastronomy, we believe that all these changes are very positive, despite that I’m really concern about not fulfil your expectations and I would really love the opportunity to welcome you again to change that perspective and provide you an enjoyable experience.

Katie, concierge is to provide service to our guests, information about our Vacation Club and that we welcome any and all to visit and gain more knowledge about the Club Melia Vacation concept. This is an invitation which should not create any negative feelings of obligation on the part of our guests, I deeply apologize for the impression you may have received, as this is definitely not our intention.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Best Regards,

Pablo Cogolludo
Resident Manager
santiago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had a great time at you hotel! It was awesome. I went with my best friends and we absolutely loved Gabi Beach and had a good time with the guys from the bar. I enjoy every second from my arrival untill I left, I can't wait to come back. Beautiful beach, beautiful hotel, excellent service, everything was great! These were my best vacations ever! I'm thinking on coming back soon with my family so they can enjoy as well of this great place! You guys are the best in the area!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Mariana,

I feel proud and grateful to receive your comments about your stay in our hotel and it is a pleasure to know how we made your vacation a very special and memorable occasion.

I hope to have the pleasure to host you again in this your home away from home.

Sincerely

Eduardo Perera

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!