“Beautiful resort, below average food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Punta Cana to your Saves list
Paradisus Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas de Bavaro | Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Marie49125
“Beautiful resort, below average food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

It's our third time at a Melia resort (1 time at Paradisus Palma Real and 2 times at Paradisus Punta cana). This time we stayed at the "reserve" because it seemed nicer and had dedicated area for kids.

What we liked:
-Beautiful grounds and landscapes
-Great pools (clean) and kiddies pools
-Kid Zones
-Concierge service (for restaurant reservations)
-Gifts offered to our kids
-Accommodation at the reserve (big family concierge 1 bedroom suite, on the 3rd floor)
- Staff in general is very nice (you need to speak a bit of spanish)
-Casino on site and another one also 5 minutes away outside of the resorts (if you like Craps)
-Themed restaurant (Sakura and Terra did not disappoint)
- Public Bathrooms are everywhere really clean!!!
-Cellular phone was given for the duration of our stay
-Wifi in our room and on property for free (good quality and reception)
-Beach chairs (with cushions and umbrella) were reserved for us everyday first row in front of the ocean

what we did not like:
-Being tricked into signing for a Melia Club Card upon check in (we did not at the end)
-Food is really below average (buffet at Gabi by the reserve was ok, and Sakura and Terra were nice, but aside from that the rest was really poor) and we are not picky eaters!!
-Room service takes forever and always came cold (even coffee in the morning) to be fair, one time we asked for an item that was not on the menu for our kids (mash potatoes) and they did a fresh one just for us, so they are nice anyway.
-Concierge was nice and helpful but we would have liked to get the gifts on the first day since it included a set of kids bath supplies and few toys (our stay was 4 nights).
-Room on the 3rd floor without elevator (hard for stroller and 2 kids with a large beach bag) although in the end, we were glad we were on high floor as we like to sleep late and they was no noise coming from the pool.

At the end of the day it all comes down to the food. Back in 2004 there were lobsters and a lot of choice of buffet food of top quality, now no lobsters (maybe at royal service?). We did had a nice vacation and we would comeback, but they have to do something about the food. The reserve is really a great place to stay because it has everything for kids, it's also quieter even if it's not right on the beach (you can walk 10 mins or take a shuttlem the reserve has EXpress shuttle running all day long to the beach and restaurants without any stops). If you do stay at the reserve, consider to be by the kids pools because you will have less noise from the pool bar at night (if you put your kids early to bed).

A+++ to the Kids Zone team, they are caring, sweet and very nice.

Room Tip: The Reserve does not have elevators, so consider ground floor if you have a heavy stroller. However...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pablo C, Resident Manager. at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Marie,

Thank you for sharing your comments both good and less good about your recent stay with us at Paradisus Punta Cana. All your comments are taken with the importance in which they are offered.
Many changes are taking place in our resort and we would like the opportunity to welcome you again so that way, hopefully, we can change your perception in the negative aspects.

Resident Manager.

1955
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (929)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed Nov 22-25 for a wedding

The level service and everything else at PPC is inconsistent....

Check in
Kind of slow. They were very nice to accommodate my request to have a room on the second floor. They assign someone to talk to you after you check in to give you general information of the resort. That person also invites you to a breakfast and tour (probably the time share pitch I have read about in other people's reviews). When you decline the tour, the person tells you that you HAVE to participate because it's part of their job and insist that you meet them. Beware

Rooms
We got the standard deluxe suite. Meh. The decor  was okay, but nothing to write about- good or bad.
I will say that there were a few hiccups, though. We did not have a router for the wifi when we checked in. Someone was sent to check it out and installed a router which worked for about 24 hours. When we called to let them know the wifi had stopped working , they didn't send anyone to fix it for another 24 hours despite the fact that we called about it 3 or 4 times while it was no working.

We also had a water leak from the ceiling in the bathroom by day 2, but nothing was done about it while we were there.

Housekeeping was very late as well

We ate a Fuego the first night. We had the tasting menu and everything was very well executed. The service was great as well. We are also able to try Sakura, the hibachi restaurant, which could be improved greatly. The fried ice cream was good and that was about it.  We ordered room service a lot because the only options before dinner are buffets ($5 charge per order) which was just okay. The other food we are was at the wedding which was between okay and good.

Sometimes good, sometimes not so much. There is no cocktail service at the beach or pool so if that's what you are used to, don't go there. Some of the staff members were nicer than others. We had prompt responses to our issues in the room at times and other times it was not. Like I said before-inconsistent.

Layout
The resort is large, but the fact that you are told that everything is far and you need to take their 'bus' makes its worse. We stayed in building 14 an found out that we could actually walk to the main lobby as well as the beach plus most of the buildings our family were staying in.
Waiting for the bus for 10 minutes was quite annoying.

Check out
BEWARE OF CHARGES FOR LOCAL CALLS. They tried to charge me $28 for a few local calls to our transportation company. I was never told there was a charge before checkout. When I called the from desk to ask about local calls they told me how to dial and then offered to connect the call for me. THAT'S IT! So when I checked out and received a bill for these calls I was very upset. They ended up discounting the bill after much discussion, but I was still made to pay  $10 for the calls.

Other random things
BRING AN INSECT REPELLANT!!! I cannot stress this enough. The mosquitos are HORRIBLY ferocious.

Gabi beach restaurant and bar is modern and gorgeous

You have to pay for top shelf drinks. Example: Grey goose costs $8, but Stoli is included

Staff handles weddings very smoothly.

The beach is great!

Overall the resort was okay, but I would not go back.

• Stayed November 2012
Pablo C, Resident Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear,

We appreciate your feedback through which we can see our weaknesses and try to improve them. Is very disappointed to see that we did not handle your departure in a satisfactory manner and for that we want to apologize.
I would love the opportunity to welcome you again and make your stay better than the last one.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Although I gotta wake up early to catch the flight from the chilly New York, I was well compensated by everything I experienced in Paradisus. Loved the villa with big in-room jacuzzi.

Enjoyed the free-flow drinks served by genuinely friendly staffs and the delicious cuisine. There is no need to worry about gratuity calculation as this is all-inclusive. Love the private beach where you can do surfing, parasailing or just taking a stroll on this paradise.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

I have to say I love the title of your review! That´s what sums up Paradisus Punta Cana! Thank you for the shout out and I’m glad to read that it was worth it getting up early! Come back soon!

Best Wishes,

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our second vacation visit to Paradisus Punta Cana, and we are planning to go back next year. This fact speaks for itself. From the moment we arrived, the staff was attentive, helpful and friendly. The grounds are beautiful; the rooms clean and comfortable and the restaurants offer a delicious variety of menus. There is a convenient and frequent shuttle service on the premises, but walking is always enjoyable in the luscious greenery of the resort. The biggest attraction for us is the beach. It is well maintained - lounge chairs and palm umbrellas for everyone, and one does not feel crowded. The spa is highly recommended - the massage was unbelievable! This resort is THE place to relax, be pampered and enjoy time with friends.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms on the second floor because of the beautiful garden view of the surrounding area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pablo C, Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Olena,
Thank you for embracing us as your destiny for your precious vacation each year! It's people like you that help keep the Paradisus Punta Cana spirit alive!

See you next year!

Kind regards

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We just returned home from a wonderful vacation at Paradisus Punta Cana. Our family of four had a great time. It was both fun and relaxing. There was something for everyone. The place is beautiful and the shows/entertainment at night were great and really brought everyone together! But most importantly, the staff was amazing. They were all really friendly and professional. They really made sure you had a good time! We really connected on the beach with Julio Nice and Edrey! They made sure we had fun and the kids were entertained. At night they took special attention to make sure the kids were having fun and engaged. My daughter misses them both. They really had a positive impact on our vacation. We also must give a shout out to one of the best bartenders....Jorge Vilorio in the lobby bar. Whether he was making a martini for my husband, a Cosmo for me (best I ever had by the way), a Roy Rogers for my son or a banana mudslide for my daughter he was so nice and welcoming. Even when the bar was crowded, he made you feel like you were the only ones there. The biggest criticism we had was the push to get you to attend a sales pitch by your concierge. We respectfully declined.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

It filled my mood with happiness to hear you enthusiastic about your experience!
Those martinis and cosmos are waiting to be enjoyed by you in your anticipated return! And of course bring the kids! We will amuse them in our Kid´s zone.

Thank you for your words, our associates does not get tired of reading them and taking joy in what they do! As well for your criticism, we will definitely check on that.

Greetings,

Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I were at this amazing resort Nov. 11-18 and I have to say that it is truely Paradise on earth. We have been to other resorts in Punta Cana, but nothing like this amazing property. The service is excellent. The staff is the friendliest and always willing to help if you need anything. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ivan Galarza, room Div. Manager. A true gentleman and the hardest working manager that I have ever met. He was everywhere in the resort at all hours, morning to late evening, overlooking the opening of the New Gabi restaurant on the Beach. A true Gem. A beautiful multi function restaurant. Great food. Congratulations for a job well done. We would like to thank Ivan for his true hospitality. The grounds and the main lobby of this Beautiful resort are absolutely Impeccable. The only way to describe it is "Paradise" Many restaurants to choose from and they are all very good. We recommend the ROYAL SERVICE. We can not wait to come back to our favourite resort.
Thank you from Emily and Peter Sigalas, Thornhill Ont. Canada

Room Tip: Royal Service, rooms near the beach and all the restaurants. Great service.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Emily and Peter,

Thanks for sharing your lovely comments about your recent stay with us in Paradisus Punta Cana. We do try and pride ourselves on proactive and caring service and Ivan of course does it awesome!

Thank you for recommending us; we appreciate your loyalty and of course good taste...Come back and visit us again soon!!

Greetings,
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this gorgeous resort for 1 week this November. Our vacation was so outstanding that it inspired me to join tripadvisor just to write this review. It was our first time in the DR and second all inclusive vacation. The second day we were there someone said that the island's catch phrase should be "manana, manana," which simply put means "tomorrow, tomorrow." It helped me relaxed into the casual life in the DR and realize that hustle bustle and rushing is not the island way. Life at this resort is casual, easy and total relaxation! If you are looking for a place to party and go hard then this may not be your best choice...

First of all the resort and grounds are outstanding. The landscaping is breathtaking and manicured daily. The entire resort is very large and shuttle buses drive around frequently and you can hop on and off. If waiting is not your thing then I would suggested royal service because you get a private golf cart to drive you around. The diamond in the crown of this resort is beach. I can only describe it as if someone plucked it out of my dreams and made it reality. My boyfriend and I walked up and down the beach and passed by other resorts. The Paradisus section of the beach was by far the best maintained (seaweed was cleaned off the beach every morning).

Second, the food was excellent! Lots of care is taken to make sure you are happy and well fed at each restaurant. The japanese and steakhouse were exceptional even by Canadian standards and we also really enjoyed the chinese restaurant. One of the sweetest women, Elena, seemed to work at every restaurant and treated us with 5 star service. We also paid $40 and went to FUEGO and had an amazing 7 course tasting menu. I would recommend this everyone and well worth every penny. The maitre'd is a Spanish women who is very proud of this restaurant and treated us as if we were in her home. Anyone who says anything bad about the food on this resort is either talking about the wrong resort or having withdrawls from McDonalds!

The entertainment and service at this resort is really what made the trip for me. Everynight is a show in the theatre followed by dancing in the lobby. It is high energy and really becomes a meeting ground for everyone on the resort at night. The entertainment staff are highly entertaining and really interact with all the guests and make sure everyone is having fun! Romeo was my favorite of the entertainment crew! He is so sweet and he represents this resort with the highest standards. Julio is also a great additon to the entertainers as well! So much energy! The lobby bar at night turns into the place to be! The bartending crew who work here are a dynamic team of guys! From Lorenzo dancing with a bottle his head to Danny making the best Bahama Mama, to Felipe and Kelvin working their butts off. These guys should be given a raise! They work so hard and always wear a big smile. Not to be left out is Juan and Rodolfo at the main pool bar. Great guys and outstanding service!

The ONE and ONLY con I have about this resort is small but incredibly annoying. There are guys who wear all white who claim to be "concierge." My best advice to you would be to avoid these people and not make eye contact! They are there by the resort to get you to "tour" the property and sign up for some club with Melia. They are pushy and end up wasting precious time which could be spent at the beach! They also seem totally shocked when you say you aren't intrested in the club/tour. I'm surprised that at such an outstanding resort the management allow this low level sales tactics to continue. In saying that, their annoyance is so small when compared to overall Paradisus experience.

My final message is...STAY HERE! We had one of the most memorable and relaxing vacations and we will return here someday soon!

Room Tip: We staying in section 20 and thought it was ideal. Close to all the restaurants and the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lesley,

Wow!! What can I say?!! Reading a comment like yours pleasantly leaves me speechless!
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!
I hope this is the first of many visits to our paradise!

Resident Manager

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana? Share your experiences!